[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Houston...protected...or unprotected?(Article)
Author Thread
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
6/7/2004  11:02 AM
martin, i can not see houston avg. over 20ppg again. i think his knees will limit him. it might be easier on him since we have marbury now who can penetrate and dish to him so he won't have to create shots. but i can see his knees being a chronic problem. without the lift for his jumpshot, his accuracy will go down. maybe i am wrong but i think that houston is on the downside of his career.
AUTOADVERT
bernard
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #475
6/7/2004  11:56 AM
This article is such nonsense, as so many have already said. But no one's pointed out the most absurd part.

"Six of the Knicks' eight keepers are undoubtedly Stephon Marbury, Kurt Thomas, Tim Thomas, Nazr Mohammed, Michael Sweetney and Frank Williams. The last two will probably be Houston and either Penny Hardaway or Dikembe Mutombo."

Penny Hardaway protected? Come on.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
6/7/2004  12:01 PM
The last two I would protect are Mutumbo and Harrington, I think with their expiring contracts they can at least get you something in return.

The chances of any team wanting Penny or Houston at the prices they're at I think is absurd, no way the Bobcats would add them.
#Knickstaps
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/7/2004  12:19 PM
this is easy. You leave Shandon, Penny and Houston unprotected. If they need one more its Moochie. Remember you get a trade exception for a player lost, so while it doesnt make us a FA player we could trade someone and take a large salary back. Especially if a team is looking for cap space.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
6/7/2004  12:53 PM
Trybanski will probably be unprotected as well.

My 8: Marbury, Tim Thomas, Kurt Thomas, Mike Sweetney, Nazr Mohammed, Frank Williams, Othella Harrington, Dikembe Mutumbo.
UNPROTECTED: Houston, Hardaway, Norris, Anderson, and Trybanski.

I'd say they take Trybanski, a cheap and young 7 footer, and that'd give the Knicks about a $1 million cap exception which they could pair with Mutumbo and/or Harrington, or somebody else like KT, and get a nice player in return.
#Knickstaps
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/7/2004  12:58 PM
Why do I have a feeling that they take Moochie Norris? That would give us a nice trade exemption.

Teams don't just give away good PGs like that, and Moochie may just be one of the top few available.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/7/2004  1:06 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

Why do I have a feeling that they take Moochie Norris? That would give us a nice trade exemption.

Teams don't just give away good PGs like that, and Moochie may just be one of the top few available.

Could be something in your cornflakes. Moochie Norris isnt worth 1/5 of his 3+mm a year and there is NO chance that Charlotte is taking his 12+mm $
RIP Crushalot😞
timmyTtop
Member: #680
6/7/2004  2:26 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

The Knicks will not protect Houston because Charlotte will NO WAY 0/100 none nada no chance pick him and no other club wants a 34 year old making 20 MILLION dollars a year for 3 more years with a gimp knee. Just think Rip Hamilton is 8 years younger, a better player makes 12 mm a year less and has no injury problems and try to figure out what H2O is worth to other teams. We could get a deal for Tariq Wahad:>)

i'd take houston over him anyday... i say don't touch houston till about 20 games into the season, the first quarter of the season is his best because he's come off a whole offseason to rest, if presented with a trade of jamal crawford, or dare i say Cwebb which i highly doubt, then we'd have to consider trading him, but he's not horrible, he does shoot extremely well and seems very eager to play, so he does have the heart. we should not abondon him anyway without careful consideration. he's done a lot for this organization, and has showed tremendous leadership even with the coaching staff by suggesting his own plays to get players more involved. if u trade him away, u'll realize u took his shooting skills for granted, and you'll see it. when TT, houston, and marb are all on the floor, its extremely difficult to beat us granted we have chemistry during training camp. all 3 can attract the double team. the finishing touches would come from a low post scorer and defender, if we have that, we'll finish top 4 in the east next year, mark my words.
Chico
Member: #666
6/7/2004  2:41 PM
There is an old african proverb that says if you can talk you can sing, if you can walk you can dance. notice it doesn't say if you walk you can play basketball...now taking that into account and taking into account that houston can't walk and is refusing surgery, what makes you think he'll play one minute of those first twenty games? really, i'd like to know.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
6/7/2004  4:14 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by jazz74:

though you are right about not comparing ewing to houston, i still would not call houston soft. true, his skills have diminished like anybody who are past their prime but he had a solid career with us and hit clutch shots constantly throughout the years.

does everyone really think that Houston is past his prime? This past season Houston has been hurt and has been slow to recover, but am not sure that I would characterize him as past his prime yet. Could be though, we'll see this next year.

Martin...I dont think Houston is close to done. I think he just had a bad year - which everyone is going to have from time to time. People are too quick to cal players finished well before their time is up. Just look at CWebb...people are saying he is done but I bet you 90% of the league would trade for him. H20 will bounce back, his knee will get better and next season will be different. Just wait and see.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
timmyTtop
Member: #680
6/7/2004  4:17 PM
Posted by OasisBU:
Posted by martin:
Posted by jazz74:

though you are right about not comparing ewing to houston, i still would not call houston soft. true, his skills have diminished like anybody who are past their prime but he had a solid career with us and hit clutch shots constantly throughout the years.

does everyone really think that Houston is past his prime? This past season Houston has been hurt and has been slow to recover, but am not sure that I would characterize him as past his prime yet. Could be though, we'll see this next year.

Martin...I dont think Houston is close to done. I think he just had a bad year - which everyone is going to have from time to time. People are too quick to cal players finished well before their time is up. Just look at CWebb...people are saying he is done but I bet you 90% of the league would trade for him. H20 will bounce back, his knee will get better and next season will be different. Just wait and see.

i definately agree, houston will come out firing.
JayNYC
Member: #682
USA
6/7/2004  5:36 PM
I love Allan Houston... BUT this would be the proper move for a team looking to become players in Free Agency.

Provided, Robert Johnson's Bobcats decide to draft our $100 million dollar man; This could potentially be the start of great things in NY. Allan Houston is definitely not getting any younger.. We FINALLY have a superstar point guard in his prime (Steph Starbury), an exciting wing man in Tim Thomas, a legit low post scoring option in Vin Baker(If we resign him for cheap) and a core of young developing players in Nazr, Sweetney and Dermarr (#6 player in the draft, I think he'll be back.. Isiah loves him). I think this would also make us more of a factor in the Rasheed Wallace sweepstakes.

Losing Allan Houston would no doubt create a setback for the 2005 year... but think about this.. At that seasons end we'd be more attractive to the high profile players.

Ray Allen & Tracy McGrady would be two replacements at shooting guard that I deem worth waiting for. And IF we were somehow lucky enough to trade Kurt Thomas, Shandon Anderson and Frank Williams away to Seattle for Ray Allen; (This offseason)??? We'd be major players in the Eastern conference.

Plus we'd be more enticing for the 05/06 free agent big men.. because we'd have more cap flexibility!! Eddy Curry, Kwame Brown or Zydrunas Illgauskas anyone???

Imagine: Mohammed, Wallace, T.Thomas, Ray Allen, Steph
Inhale deep like the words of my breath/ I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death-- Circa 1994 Nasty Nas: NY State of Mind
s3231
Member: #544
USA
6/7/2004  9:35 PM
By the way did anyone happen to see the pre-game show on ESPN right before game 6 of the Eastern Conference Finals? (Yea I know it was last week) Anyway, they were talking about the McGrady situation and Stephen A. Smith mentioned 3 teams that are on McGrady's list of teams to play for, he said the Rockets (no suprise), the Pacers (no suprise), and then he said New York (a little suprising). I just thought it was interesting that he mentioned the Knicks. I'm not trying to get anyone's hopes up or anything (because it seems like every week McGrady wants to play for a different team), but its a good sign that the Knicks are once again becoming an attractable place to play thanks to Isiah.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/8/2004  10:52 AM
i sense a "Let's trade Allan Houston for Tracy McGrady" post coming up any minute now.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
6/8/2004  11:01 AM
Posted by TMS:

i sense a "Let's trade Allan Houston for Tracy McGrady" post coming up any minute now.

Haha haven't we been through a bunch of those already? You notice how so many NY fans are rushing to call H20 done however if he can be traded for T-Mac it is a fair deal for the Magic? I mean we would throw in FWill and a draft pick of course just to even out the playing field hahahahaha.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Houston...protected...or unprotected?(Article)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy