[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Houston...protected...or unprotected?(Article)
Author Thread
keyindabox
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #562
USA
6/6/2004  12:46 PM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1086497493226680.xml

Six of the Knicks' eight keepers are undoubtedly Stephon Marbury, Kurt Thomas, Tim Thomas, Nazr Mohammed, Michael Sweetney and Frank Williams. The last two will probably be Houston and either Penny Hardaway or Dikembe Mutombo.

But does Isiah Thomas roll the dice and keep Othella Harrington, who might have trade value? (Stop that laughing.) Exposing Houston is risky business. Not only would the Knicks president be insulting a two-time All-Star, he would also give Charlotte a chance to redirect Houston to a contending team.

The Bobcats, obviously, cannot fit Houston under their $29 million cap, because he'll make $18 million next year. But they could ship him off to a team that could really use him -- such as Denver, which has the cap space to accommodate his salary and the flexibility to repay Charlotte with draft picks.
"I usually mess up, but I learn. I come back sronger. Everyone changes, becomes better people. We all should get that chance. I just want my chance."-Tupac Shakur
AUTOADVERT
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
6/6/2004  2:28 PM
obviously unprotected... i thought this was a given. it would be a blessing if someone took his contract off our hands.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
6/6/2004  2:52 PM
It depends on how his knee is doing by that time. If its feelin better, then protect him...if its not looking so great, then leave him.

Its all up to Zeke.
spreeeewell
Member: #436
6/6/2004  2:56 PM
I can bet my house that,Houston will try to get surgery so he wont be traded.
I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees!
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
6/6/2004  3:14 PM
Posted by spreeeewell:

I can bet my house that,Houston will try to get surgery so he wont be traded.

You got a point there....hmmmm. Knicks should do everything to keep Allan, regardless of injury. IMHO, Out of Loyalty if anything else, H20 is a keeper
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
BRIGGS
Member: #303
6/6/2004  3:29 PM
The Knicks will not protect Houston because Charlotte will NO WAY 0/100 none nada no chance pick him and no other club wants a 34 year old making 20 MILLION dollars a year for 3 more years with a gimp knee. Just think Rip Hamilton is 8 years younger, a better player makes 12 mm a year less and has no injury problems and try to figure out what H2O is worth to other teams. We could get a deal for Tariq Wahad:>)
RIP Crushalot😞
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/6/2004  3:39 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

The Knicks will not protect Houston because Charlotte will NO WAY 0/100 none nada no chance pick him and no other club wants a 34 year old making 20 MILLION dollars a year for 3 more years with a gimp knee. Just think Rip Hamilton is 8 years younger, a better player makes 12 mm a year less and has no injury problems and try to figure out what H2O is worth to other teams. We could get a deal for Tariq Wahad:>)

this about sums it up.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/6/2004  3:44 PM
The Knicks will not protect Houston because Charlotte will NO WAY 0/100 none nada no chance pick him and no other club wants a 34 year old making 20 MILLION dollars a year for 3 more years with a gimp knee.

Exactly; this is a stupid article. It's already pretty clear that Houston will be unprotected because it's completely clear that Charlotte will not take him. That writer must be on crack
martin
USA
6/6/2004  4:04 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
The Knicks will not protect Houston because Charlotte will NO WAY 0/100 none nada no chance pick him and no other club wants a 34 year old making 20 MILLION dollars a year for 3 more years with a gimp knee.

Exactly; this is a stupid article. It's already pretty clear that Houston will be unprotected because it's completely clear that Charlotte will not take him. That writer must be on crack

the article is kinda weird, especially coming from njo and D'Alessandro, who is usually a very spot-on reporter. Strange.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/6/2004  6:03 PM
Posted by jaydh:

obviously unprotected... i thought this was a given. it would be a blessing if someone took his contract off our hands.

Duh....I think it's totally bull that the Bobcats would take Houston's salary just to trade it. If Houston was that tradable he would be gone already.

Houston being left off is no disrespect to Houston. Chances are the Bobcats will not take him so you have to leave him unprotected to keep guys like Sweetney, Frank, Othella, Cezary Trybanski and Mutombo from being stolen.

This is just an article to start trouble.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
6/6/2004  7:21 PM
I’m making up a conversation that may or may not occur. Regardless, what level of commitment do we owe our players.

Allan, over the years with this organization you have made contributions recognized by the front office and fans alike….We appreciate your professionalism on the hardwood and your involvement in our community as well. We wish we had more players of your caliber. Currently there are decisions being made by which you may end up unprotected during the Bobcats expansion. Please do not let our decision detract from the outstanding relationship you have shared with this organization over the past 8 years. Actually, between you and me, it’s a good bet you do not get shipped off in any deal because its so obvious no team in their right mind would dare commit to your $$$$. Relax, we’re trying to get Deke and Penny back too. We just wanted to let you know what is in the works. BTW,not to change the subject, did you catch the Belmont?

Can you imagine what comments Allan and his agent would exchange ? Anybody complaining about letting Ewing go should speak their mind for Allan. Eny calls it trouble, I'm calling a clue to view

"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
BRIGGS
Member: #303
6/6/2004  7:26 PM
could be some knick propaganda sht just like they came out and said everything was going great with h2O's knee blah blah blah.

the funny thing is othella harrington actually has a real trade value
A. He's an ending contract and he is a GOOD bench player who can also step in and start--Othella gets the short end of the schtick sometimes, but he is a good basketball player who rebounds can hit shots and plays hard,he's just not right for our team
RIP Crushalot😞
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
6/6/2004  8:55 PM
i don't understand what he meant, like it would be disrepecting allan or something. i'm sure allan knows his situation, and knicks situation as well as what everyone gets paid.(including himself and his trade value at this point)
Chico
Member: #666
6/6/2004  9:04 PM
The fact that an above poster compares allan houston to patrick ewing in any way is an absolute outrage. one is a soft lilly-assed one-dimmensional player who hit one good shot. the other is a franchise hall of famer who led his team to the post season for fifteen straight years with hard nosed defense. Both were never surrounded with the right pieces, but pat did a lot more with what he had....

there is no comparison. if zeke could pay someone fifteen to twenty million over the next three years just to remove this albatross from around the neck of this team believe me, he would. shooting guard is the easiest position to fill in this league. replacing a guy who doesn't create his own shot, can't play defense and bricks the last shot of many a game should be even easier.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/6/2004  9:30 PM
please, take Houston! that would give the Knicks a nice $18 million dollar trade exception to use in a deal to get a stud player.

in other words, we are not that lucky...no chance in hell.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/6/2004  11:35 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

why do you always add a year or two to knicks players to try and make it seem as if they are older and less effective... Houston was born in 1971, he will be 33 this season, not 34...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Chico
Member: #666
6/7/2004  1:17 AM
Hey everyone! houston is 33 not 34! that means everything's all right!!!

WHO CARES WHAT YEAR HE WAS BORN? HE'S DONE! THIS TEAM IS TRYING TO SWIM IN A CHOPPY UNFORGIVING OCEAN AND HE IS A RUSTY ANCHOR PULLING THEM DOWN!!!!

STOP KNITPICKING AND LOOK AT THE BIG PICTURE!!!
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
6/7/2004  2:34 AM
Whoa, calm down there Chico, I think tkf was just pointing out Briggs has a tendency to add a few years on players ages to prove his point. No need to get nuts.
#Knickstaps
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
6/7/2004  8:27 AM
Posted by Chico:

The fact that an above poster compares allan houston to patrick ewing in any way is an absolute outrage. one is a soft lilly-assed one-dimmensional player who hit one good shot. the other is a franchise hall of famer who led his team to the post season for fifteen straight years with hard nosed defense. Both were never surrounded with the right pieces, but pat did a lot more with what he had....

there is no comparison. if zeke could pay someone fifteen to twenty million over the next three years just to remove this albatross from around the neck of this team believe me, he would. shooting guard is the easiest position to fill in this league. replacing a guy who doesn't create his own shot, can't play defense and bricks the last shot of many a game should be even easier.

though you are right about not comparing ewing to houston, i still would not call houston soft. true, his skills have diminished like anybody who are past their prime but he had a solid career with us and hit clutch shots constantly throughout the years. he played with injuries that would keep other punks on the bench for years ( vince carter anyone?). so if you talk about soft name others besides houston.
martin
USA
6/7/2004  8:29 AM
Posted by jazz74:

though you are right about not comparing ewing to houston, i still would not call houston soft. true, his skills have diminished like anybody who are past their prime but he had a solid career with us and hit clutch shots constantly throughout the years.

does everyone really think that Houston is past his prime? This past season Houston has been hurt and has been slow to recover, but am not sure that I would characterize him as past his prime yet. Could be though, we'll see this next year.
Houston...protected...or unprotected?(Article)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy