[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Game Thread: Hornets vs Knicks 7:30 P.M. EST
Author Thread
Splat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5862

11/3/2014  9:19 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
nixluva wrote:50% - 23 Assists!!! If the Knicks hit their FT's this is an easy win. We can't overanalyze this win. Just take it and back to work for the next game. It's already an improvement over previous years in terms of ball sharing. It's gonna take ever more time and for Jose to get healthy and then we should see a higher level of team ball.

That maybe true, but i would have like to see melo make make that extra pass, especially in the clutch.

He's has been passing a litte more (old habits don't break over night) and the rotation is a little deeper than I would like, but you can't argue with what seems to be working

Said this in the game thread. Melo does not usually initiate changes in style during a game, but he will play along if the rest of the team is executing and moving the ball.

He is what he is, so I'm not dogging him when I say he is not necessarily a leader, but a follower. He is very influenced by how his teammates play and that is what is going to make Melo change for the better.

When his teammates get sloppy, Melo often follows suit. When his teammates brick some shot, Melo often pounds the rock and shoots.

So I think it will be Fish successfully getting the team as a whole to play the game right that will pull Melo along with the tide. That's not to say Melo can't or won't spark rallies. Of course he can. He had a nice steal and a score late against Charlotte, but generally everybody was sloppy after early 2nd quarter with flashes of individual moments.

You do need to surround Melo with good players and good systemic play. I'm way past getting upset over his inability to elevate his teammates. That is not his game, so you have to elevate him. He's already an elite scorer, but the rest of his game requires consistent inspiration and reinforcement from the play of his teammates.

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Member: #582
11/3/2014  10:10 AM
Splat wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
nixluva wrote:50% - 23 Assists!!! If the Knicks hit their FT's this is an easy win. We can't overanalyze this win. Just take it and back to work for the next game. It's already an improvement over previous years in terms of ball sharing. It's gonna take ever more time and for Jose to get healthy and then we should see a higher level of team ball.

That maybe true, but i would have like to see melo make make that extra pass, especially in the clutch.

He's has been passing a litte more (old habits don't break over night) and the rotation is a little deeper than I would like, but you can't argue with what seems to be working

Said this in the game thread. Melo does not usually initiate changes in style during a game, but he will play along if the rest of the team is executing and moving the ball.

He is what he is, so I'm not dogging him when I say he is not necessarily a leader, but a follower. He is very influenced by how his teammates play and that is what is going to make Melo change for the better.

When his teammates get sloppy, Melo often follows suit. When his teammates brick some shot, Melo often pounds the rock and shoots.

So I think it will be Fish successfully getting the team as a whole to play the game right that will pull Melo along with the tide. That's not to say Melo can't or won't spark rallies. Of course he can. He had a nice steal and a score late against Charlotte, but generally everybody was sloppy after early 2nd quarter with flashes of individual moments.

You do need to surround Melo with good players and good systemic play. I'm way past getting upset over his inability to elevate his teammates. That is not his game, so you have to elevate him. He's already an elite scorer, but the rest of his game requires consistent inspiration and reinforcement from the play of his teammates.

I think this has been well documented, but the 28 points he got last night, it seem like it took a lot less effort.

ES
Splat

11/3/2014  10:38 AM
knicks1248 wrote:I think this has been well documented, but the 28 points he got last night, it seem like it took a lot less effort.

I'd say the majority of his shots so far have been higher quality than before. Less grinding, more quick actions. He's had a few catch and shoots that were extremely quick, a second or less to release. That's good stuff. Besides, he is a natural shooter. The more he shoots automatically when he gets the ball (in a good position with a clean look), the higher percentage he'll make them at.

mreinman
Member: #3189

11/3/2014  11:29 AM
Papabear wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knickscity wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knickscity wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knickscity wrote:
holfresh wrote:Fisher has to have better balance in the lineup...2nd qt..Team playing well up 15 then wholesale subs..3rd qt 4 offensive players then 4th, only Melo as an option..What happened to Larkin, he was playing well..Prigs can't hold Walker..etc..Work in progress I guess..I'll take the win..

To be honest he's doing just fine. The starters push the game, the bench try to hold serve, then the starters come back in and complete the task.

U want to site examples?

Examples of what? Everything I said actually happened.

Ha..U didn't say anything..The bench extended the 15 point lead in the 2nd and was playing well..Larkin was having a great game, what happened to him?..4th down the stretch, Melo put up some tough shots because he was the only option..We needed another offensive option at that point..

The team needed defense at the end COMBINED with melo's scoring....thats exactly what they got. personally this wondering why this guy plays or not is irrelevant when they win. Fisher is clearly giving all these guys the burn needed to compete when called upon.

No complaints from...they won, thats all that matters.

Melo putting up tough shots against double teams is what they got..We watched that all last year..

Some of those he forced because he didn't make the pass. I personally thought his rotations where good. They are not always going to be immediate but it doesn't take long for him to pick things up and go to another guy. He saw how Melo could not stay with Neal and he moved melo to the 4. That lead to a turnover and basket. He is also keeping guys fresh and working through players with foul trouble.

Melo missed many open guys. He refuses to pass quickly out of the double team. That MUST change!

His shooting looks really good on his fresh legs. Now, make the passes and get to the next level of stardom. I don't want to hear that he needs to force those shots because he can't trust his teammates. TRUST YOUR DAMN TEAMMATES AND THEY WOULD HAVE MORE CONFIDENCE.

0 assists in the second half once again. He has guys open on those doubles all the time - get it to them.

Papabear Says

Who would you rather have take shots besides Melo? You have a bunch of guys who can't shoot. how many layups did Shump miss? What about the rest of the team. If it was not for Melo we would have lost this game so please stop wishing that Melo pass the ball to a shooter who will only throw up a brick.

Papabear ... these excuses are silly and over protective.

All good players pass the damn ball regardless of their teammates.

Stop excusing Melo for chucking against the double team. CAN PRIGS HIT A SHOT? THJ?

Do you actually not want him to pass the ball in these situations? How about against a triple team? Quintuple?

so here is what phil is thinking ....
Splat

11/3/2014  11:38 AM
mreinman wrote:
Do you actually not want him to pass the ball in these situations? How about against a triple team? Quintuple?

Melo should only pass when guarded by quintuples.

Splat

11/3/2014  11:46 AM
BTW, Bargnani is coming back next week.
F500ONE
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5844

11/3/2014  11:50 AM
Splat wrote:BTW, Bargnani is coming back next week.

Looking forward to seeing he and Amar'e

On the floor at the same time

yellowboy90
Member: #3538

11/3/2014  11:55 AM

Back? You mean he didn't change his number to 14?

mreinman
Member: #3189

11/3/2014  12:18 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:

generalizing?

so here is what phil is thinking ....
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

11/3/2014  12:33 PM
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

generalizing?

meaning a couple of mid range shots, bad defense, and 1 rebound or was it two? Its early and his ebounding should pick up.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

11/3/2014  2:39 PM
Good game. We used to lose close ones like last night, but we found a way to win. It will be interesting to see what happens when Calderone gets back. Larkin is doing a good job and improving. Shump is driving more with every game which is awesome. I don't care if its ugly at times, Shump driving is a good thing.

Triangle or not, this squad is playing unselfishly for the most part and playing D. So far so good.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
11/4/2014  8:56 AM
mreinman wrote:
Papabear wrote:
mreinman wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knickscity wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knickscity wrote:
holfresh wrote:
knickscity wrote:
holfresh wrote:Fisher has to have better balance in the lineup...2nd qt..Team playing well up 15 then wholesale subs..3rd qt 4 offensive players then 4th, only Melo as an option..What happened to Larkin, he was playing well..Prigs can't hold Walker..etc..Work in progress I guess..I'll take the win..

To be honest he's doing just fine. The starters push the game, the bench try to hold serve, then the starters come back in and complete the task.

U want to site examples?

Examples of what? Everything I said actually happened.

Ha..U didn't say anything..The bench extended the 15 point lead in the 2nd and was playing well..Larkin was having a great game, what happened to him?..4th down the stretch, Melo put up some tough shots because he was the only option..We needed another offensive option at that point..

The team needed defense at the end COMBINED with melo's scoring....thats exactly what they got. personally this wondering why this guy plays or not is irrelevant when they win. Fisher is clearly giving all these guys the burn needed to compete when called upon.

No complaints from...they won, thats all that matters.

Melo putting up tough shots against double teams is what they got..We watched that all last year..

Some of those he forced because he didn't make the pass. I personally thought his rotations where good. They are not always going to be immediate but it doesn't take long for him to pick things up and go to another guy. He saw how Melo could not stay with Neal and he moved melo to the 4. That lead to a turnover and basket. He is also keeping guys fresh and working through players with foul trouble.

Melo missed many open guys. He refuses to pass quickly out of the double team. That MUST change!

His shooting looks really good on his fresh legs. Now, make the passes and get to the next level of stardom. I don't want to hear that he needs to force those shots because he can't trust his teammates. TRUST YOUR DAMN TEAMMATES AND THEY WOULD HAVE MORE CONFIDENCE.

0 assists in the second half once again. He has guys open on those doubles all the time - get it to them.

Papabear Says

Who would you rather have take shots besides Melo? You have a bunch of guys who can't shoot. how many layups did Shump miss? What about the rest of the team. If it was not for Melo we would have lost this game so please stop wishing that Melo pass the ball to a shooter who will only throw up a brick.

Papabear ... these excuses are silly and over protective.

All good players pass the damn ball regardless of their teammates.

Stop excusing Melo for chucking against the double team. CAN PRIGS HIT A SHOT? THJ?

Prigs would only pass the ball back to Melo, and THJ is normally sitting on the bench. You really want Melo to throw the ball out of bounds?

Give Melo some slack, no matter how good a player he is, it can take years to get over passing the ball to Fishlips, Landry and Toney Douglas. Flashbacks can be a real beetch, man.

Game Thread: Hornets vs Knicks 7:30 P.M. EST

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy