[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Pacers coach Rick Carslisle
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/4/2004  10:43 AM
ESPN/AP: Even though they had the best record in the NBA, Pacers coach Rick Carslisle off the heels of a disappointing Conference Finals exit says next year will give us a brand new Pacers team.

"Right now, I don't think this team will be back in its exact form next year," Carlisle said Thursday. "There will be some changes, either through free agency and the draft or the possibility of trades. There's going to be some things that are going to be different."

Carlisle said he may be consulted personnel decisions, but ultimately it's up to team president Larry Bird and CEO Donnie Walsh.

"If there is the opportunity for him to be a starter here, that would be great," Carlisle said of Harrington. "And if there isn't, then it may be time for him to move on to another team. Those are decisions that are going to be made by Larry and Donnie."

Bird and Walsh met with players individually on Wednesday to discuss their situations with the team.

"This has been kind of an unbalanced roster," Carlisle said. "There's a glut of guys at the small forward spot and there haven't been a lot of minutes."

Apparently everyone is bracing for and expecting the changes.

"It's a strange world in professional sports," O'Neal said. "Teams make changes. I've learned to handle what I can handle and that's just basketball. I'm going to let Larry and Donnie and our owners handle the movement part."

Carlisle seems to be the most expectant.

"We're going to be very proactive with really attacking this summer to get ourselves as ready as we possibly can for next October," Carlisle said. "That's where our next opportunity begins, officially."

I never heard a coach say stuff like that in public. Lenny Wilkins said he wanted a better power forward but he didn't mention names. Chaney even said he wanted a more athletic forward and a better point guard but not the way Carlisle did it.

He shouts out Harrington for one.....Yeah his team needs change but you gotta keep certain things to yourself not blurt things out to the media.

If a player says stuff like "we need a better coach" or "Rick Carslisle needs to figure out if he is an assistant or the main guy" that player would get fined.

I expect Indiana to go after a top notch shooting guard. Maybe Eddie Jones. I can see them trading Bender and Harrington over to Miami.

Whatever they do I want Indiana to stay compeditive long enough for the Knicks to get good enough to give them a problem in the playoffs.

[Edited by - enyspree on 06/04/2004 10:45:11]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
6/4/2004  11:11 AM
agree. Carlisle's comments must be hard to swallow if you're harrington.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/4/2004  11:33 AM
they need to replace Reggie Miller w/a younger star player...a Ray Allen or maybe even a Tracy McGrady is attainable for that team w/the young talent they have imo...maybe a deal of Artest for Allen straight up, or a deal of Artest, Bender & Fred Jones for T-Mac?

follow that up w/an upgrade at PG, like signing Gary Payton to the MLE, would do wonders for that team.

this roster could challenge for a title next season no doubt:

C - Foster / Pollard
PF - O'Neal / Croshere / Brezec
SF - Harrington / Bender, 1st round pick or LLE FA
SG - T-Mac or Ray Allen / Miller
PG - Payton / Tinsley / Johnson
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/4/2004  2:00 PM
I think Isiah was right... thats a young team thats still learning how to win. Artest, Oneil, Harrington, Bender... the core of their team is in its mid 20s. People need tro be patient. Mia was playing well but when when you look at the matchups (especially frontcourt) the only respectable team Indiana faced was Det.
Bos was a joke and Mia has no bench and every front court player is out of position and small.

Remember, Rick won b2b 50 games with the Pistons and got fired because every player said they hated his guts in the exit interviews, not to mention the fact he got in a fist fight with a team executive.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/4/2004  3:18 PM
yea, that is somewhat odd for him to call Harrington out like that.. If they do move Him, I would love to see him in Orange and Blue..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
6/4/2004  5:31 PM
I think Harrington would be excited to hear they'll move him to a place where he can start and be a legitimate option.

I don't think the Pacers really have to go crazy and get TMac, Fred Jones was playing really well in the playoffs. If he got a steady J he could really do some damage, and Reggie, at this point, would be more effective off the bench.

They need a starting PG pretty badly, but with Isiah and his differences with their managament I doubt a deal could get done to get Harrington.
#Knickstaps
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/5/2004  11:43 AM
Harrington would look cool in a Knick uniform. He's a very aggressive scorer. In my opinion Carlile should have Started Harrington at the 4 with O'neal as the center. Artest is the 3. That should be their line-up. Tinsley is a good point guard. He's just been hurt. They do need a shooting guard though.

The Knicks just don't have anything to send Indiana unless they would take on Houston and that is just stupid looking at it on the screen right now.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Pacers coach Rick Carslisle

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy