[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Open challenge to Jason Smith (and all our role players for that matter)
Author Thread
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

10/31/2014  10:06 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2014  10:08 AM
I like what I saw last night outta Smith--he knocked down just about all of his open jumpers which was great. He was very instrumental in getting that win. Still, I'm not seeing elements to his game that I expected to see:

- I expected to see a much better defensive player overall.
- I expected to see a much more aggressive player protecting the rim. He's just not getting off the ground trying to block shots. I thought this guy was a shot-blocker?
- I expected to see a much better rebounder (he seems to have a problem getting lift off the floor for some reason -- I remember a much better athlete for a 7' than what we've seen so far).
- I expected to see a guy that was gonna both look for his post-up opportunities and execute more in the post. We haven't seen one post-up move yet and he's had opportunities. He's receiving the ball deep enough but he's not even looking to back down his man and make a move or catch and turn on his man and drive the ball.

Take a look at his play in these two videos. I understand this is Jason Smith at his absolute best but still, he looks like a totally different player. You can see the same trademark jump-shooting plus so much more -- running the floor finishing at the rim, getting up off the floor for rebounds and blocks, driving the ball to the rim, executing beautifully in the post, etc.:

Just expected a much more aggressive player on both ends. If we can get this guy operating at a higher level overall (look at these vids, he's capable), he could be one heck of a player for us. He's got a good amount of talent. I'd love to see him step up and assume much more of a prominent role on this team. The man's capable. They need to sit him down and show him these videos man...This team is just dying for guys like Jason Smith, Acy, Larkin, THJ and Aldrich to step up. All these guys man -- forget about making mistakes. Mistakes are part of the game and are gonna happen. Just step up, want it, wanna make an impression, wanna put your stamp on the game and go get it!!! It's wide open for these guys right now. They've gotta want it and go get it! I tell ya what -- not only Jason but all these role players I just mentioned are capable of so much more than what we've seen so far. It'd be something if we can get all these guys playing closer to their peak capabilities. We're an infinitely better team if we can get to that point. One good thing -- Fisher's not gonna get it their way. He's gonna give all these guys opportunities. It's up to them to seize the day and capitalize.

AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/31/2014  12:44 PM
Finestrg wrote:I like what I saw last night outta Smith--he knocked down just about all of his open jumpers which was great. He was very instrumental in getting that win. Still, I'm not seeing elements to his game that I expected to see:

- I expected to see a much better defensive player overall.
- I expected to see a much more aggressive player protecting the rim. He's just not getting off the ground trying to block shots. I thought this guy was a shot-blocker?
- I expected to see a much better rebounder (he seems to have a problem getting lift off the floor for some reason -- I remember a much better athlete for a 7' than what we've seen so far).
- I expected to see a guy that was gonna both look for his post-up opportunities and execute more in the post. We haven't seen one post-up move yet and he's had opportunities. He's receiving the ball deep enough but he's not even looking to back down his man and make a move or catch and turn on his man and drive the ball.

Take a look at his play in these two videos. I understand this is Jason Smith at his absolute best but still, he looks like a totally different player. You can see the same trademark jump-shooting plus so much more -- running the floor finishing at the rim, getting up off the floor for rebounds and blocks, driving the ball to the rim, executing beautifully in the post, etc.:

Just expected a much more aggressive player on both ends. If we can get this guy operating at a higher level overall (look at these vids, he's capable), he could be one heck of a player for us. He's got a good amount of talent. I'd love to see him step up and assume much more of a prominent role on this team. The man's capable. They need to sit him down and show him these videos man...This team is just dying for guys like Jason Smith, Acy, Larkin, THJ and Aldrich to step up. All these guys man -- forget about making mistakes. Mistakes are part of the game and are gonna happen. Just step up, want it, wanna make an impression, wanna put your stamp on the game and go get it!!! It's wide open for these guys right now. They've gotta want it and go get it! I tell ya what -- not only Jason but all these role players I just mentioned are capable of so much more than what we've seen so far. It'd be something if we can get all these guys playing closer to their peak capabilities. We're an infinitely better team if we can get to that point. One good thing -- Fisher's not gonna get it their way. He's gonna give all these guys opportunities. It's up to them to seize the day and capitalize.

Yeah, I was disappointed by how soft he was against Pau and Gibson. You gotta figure there was a reason we were able to sign him. He's coming off his second knee injury and it will take him some time. At least the J is still working.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

10/31/2014  12:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/31/2014  5:42 PM
That's a good point. I wasn't factoring in his injury history. Gotta remain patient I guess. Hopefully that's the only issue and he can round himself back into top form. I know this -- if we can get this guy playing at optimal level like we see in those clips, that's a hell of a player.
Open challenge to Jason Smith (and all our role players for that matter)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy