[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Shane Larkin club option
Author Thread
F500ONE
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5844

10/31/2014  5:13 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:why don't we have his bird rights? i thought that follows him like lin and novak

I'm pretty sure we do but the. Some team is going to offer him $3mil per and we are going to lose him because we want to shed salary. Like we lost Lin & Cope

Yeah because if he played himself into a $3mil/yr contract

That extra $1mil and change is going to crumble the empire[rolling eyes]

Oh wait you could be on to something Dolan is

In counting pennies mode, but would he be if we're under the cap

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Member: #883
11/1/2014  4:58 AM
gunsnewing wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:why don't we have his bird rights? i thought that follows him like lin and novak

I'm pretty sure we do but then some team is going to offer him $3mil per and we are going to lose him because we want to shed salary. Like we lost Lin & Cope

Exactly- in the offseason all salaries are about to hyper inflate due to the imminent expansion of the cap (whether the changes are staggered or not)- good luck on finding a backup PG for $500,000!

Splat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5862

11/1/2014  9:34 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/1/2014  9:35 AM
I watched the Cavs game again. Larkin was good and I am now surprised that didn't inspire the Knicks to pick up his option the next day. He certainly had way more impact on the game than Pablo did. Sorry, I mean World Class Pablo
I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!
SJUknicksfan
Member: #5665

11/1/2014  11:22 AM
I really don't see why we didn't pick up the option. If we decide not to keep him at some point this season and don't want to take the salary hit next season, he would be very easy to trade even just for a 2nd round pick. Instead we are just going to let a team swoop in and steal him. Dumb move by Phil, I don't get it.
blkexec
Member: #748
11/1/2014  11:39 AM
Maybe because im about the same size and play the same position...hes a replacable backup pg. Once we get another star player.....the knicks will attract vets to fill the gap and vets who can impact the game defensively while playing their support role. Larkin will still try to prove himself to be a starter.....but hes not an nba starter. And if we have a hole at pg...he will return for cheap instead of going somewhere else just to make more and ride the bench.
Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
11/1/2014  12:40 PM
blkexec wrote:Maybe because im about the same size and play the same position...hes a replacable backup pg. Once we get another star player.....the knicks will attract vets to fill the gap and vets who can impact the game defensively while playing their support role. Larkin will still try to prove himself to be a starter.....but hes not an nba starter. And if we have a hole at pg...he will return for cheap instead of going somewhere else just to make more and ride the bench.

The last point doesnt makes sense for a player. If he develops into a legit player, he wont ride anyone's bench. And we can only sign him at 1.7...cant see him hanging around for that as any team can offer more than that...the 1.7 is our CBA confined limit.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

11/1/2014  4:50 PM
No option...not smart...

It is now a Catch 22 situation- If he plays well enough this season to a degree where we might want him back next year, we will have no chance to resign him because other teams will easily be able to offer him more than we can. If we had picked up his option and he had played well, we could have him in the future or, because of his good play, we could deal him.

Fisher and Jackson have seemingly seen enough of Larkin to think that either they don't want him.

I think he is still a work in progress, but he has not looked bad so far, and as he get more confident he will play even better. While small, he is a ball hawk and really plays the lanes well and anticipates. He could be a good second unit, change of pace guy.

A mistake by Phil, IMO.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
11/1/2014  5:05 PM
Isn't Larkin still tge Knicks restricted free agent? I believe they can match whatever another team offers and retain him.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
11/1/2014  5:18 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Isn't Larkin still tge Knicks restricted free agent? I believe they can match whatever another team offers and retain him.

He becomes unrestricted at this point, and the most we can offer him is the 1.7 we turned down.

http://midlevelexceptional.com/2014/10/30/happens-team-declines-option-rookie-scale-contract/

The other factor that differentiates team options on rookie scale contracts from other team options is what happens when a team declines one.

When a team declines an option on a rookie scale contract, two important things happen:

The player in question will be an Unrestricted Free Agent after that season.
The amount of the option that the team declined is the most the team that has the player when that contract ends can pay him the following summer.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
11/1/2014  5:41 PM
For all we know the knicks can have their eyes on drafting the right PG, with the right size height and speed, then what would you do with larkin

Emmanuel Mudiay

NBA Comparison: John Wall
Strengths: Emmanuel is a true point guard with dynamic speed and athleticism and great size… Very unselfish player who loves to get his teammates involved … Outstanding ball handler who is equally comfortable attacking right and left … Excels in the open court where his speed hits another gear… Sees the entire floor…Very quick first step and a lethal crossover … Makes great decisions off the pick and roll … Finishes strong at the rim … Has the size and strength to post up smaller guards … Good rebounder for a guard ...

Weaknesses: Very streaky shooter … Needs to develop a consistent midrange shot …Takes too long to get shot off … Must become a better free throw shooter … Sometimes too flashy and tries hard to make the big play which leads to turnovers … Occasionally over dribbles … Should become more of a vocal leader ... Needs to stay in a stance on defense and close out low with hands high ...

Overall: Emmanuel Mudiay is arguably the top point guard in the class of 2014 and will almost certainly be a one and done player. Under the tutelage of Larry Brown at SMU his decision making will undoubtedly improve and he will learn how to run a team in the half court. With his size and quickness Mudiay has the potential to be a top 10 pick and with an improved jump shot could become a future NBA All Star ...

Notes: Born in the Republic of Congo

Wes Hinton 1/6/14

Strengths: A true point guard, knows how to run a team, great size and will probably grow more, father is 6'10" and has an older brother who is 6'7" ... Silky smooth, shoots the ball well out to college three, great passer and playmaker, high IQ, very athletic, can get in the lane at will, mature body that will fill out ... Long arms, quick feet, shows a desire to defend, wreaks havoc in the passing lanes, excels most in the open floor where he can use his creativity for himself or teammates ... Often has the advantage in the open floor when numbers are not in his favor, has the ability to make people better, makes the right play, has great flair in is game, great kid, comes from a grounded family, very competitive, great upside because of versatility, very good handle, natural talent and feel are off the charts

Weaknesses: Doesn't shoot as well off the dribble as he does spotting up, handle is very good but needs to tighten up some, effort inconsistent, plays down to level of competition, at times tried to do too much, defers to upperclassmen sometimes, has a mean streak but has to be challenged for it to come out, coasts at times and takes plays off, jumpshot needs to be more consistent, needs to be more assertive and more vocal

Overall: Mudiay is a special talent that simply doesn't come along very often possibly the best 2014 prospect. He's a full year younger than Canadian phenom Andrew Wiggins. Has been compared to Tyreke Evans, but is more talented. Great upside. Playmaker who can score and make others better. The sky is the limit if he is willing to work. Has the natural talent and feel for the game that can make him the # 1 player in the country by the time he's a senior. With continued development looking at a top 5 pick and franchise player at the highest level.

Ian Powers 6/1/11

*Photo: BallisLife.com

Notes: Measured 6'4.5 (in shoes) 187 lbs, with a 6'7 wingspan at the 2011 LeBron James Skills Academy ... Measured 6'5 (in shoes) 188 lbs, with a 6'7.5 wingspan at the 2013 Nike Guard Skills Academy

ES
Shane Larkin club option

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy