[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

expansion draft and trade exemption question?
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/4/2004  9:51 AM
ok, let's say we leave othella unprotected and charlotte drafts them. i understand we get to use the $3 mil that othella would've earned here in a deal so something like kurt + $3mil trade exemption for jamal crawford. is that right?

secondly, what if we leave shandon unprotected. we get his $7 mil trade exemption this season but what about his remaining years? is it wiped off our books or do we get trade exemptions for each year on the deal as well?
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/4/2004  10:08 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

ok, let's say we leave othella unprotected and charlotte drafts them. i understand we get to use the $3 mil that othella would've earned here in a deal so something like kurt + $3mil trade exemption for jamal crawford. is that right?

secondly, what if we leave shandon unprotected. we get his $7 mil trade exemption this season but what about his remaining years? is it wiped off our books or do we get trade exemptions for each year on the deal as well?

your first scenario is correct. And you only get the exception for the first year, not the length of the contract.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/4/2004  10:31 AM
Shandon's salary would be off the books if Charlotte were to take him in the draft...but you only get the $7 million dollar exception for the 1st year which you have to use or else you lose it.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
JayNYC
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #682
USA
6/7/2004  5:53 PM
So... Hypothetically speaking, If Allan Houston is drafted by the Bobcats.. We'd gain his salary for the upcoming year.. which is in upwards of 18 million??? If thats the case, then lets all hope for the Bobcats to take him off our hands.

THEN we could attempt to trade Kurt Thomas and something for Shareef Abdur Rahim or Rasheed Wallace.. sign Jamal Crawford for like 3yrs or more.

Sounds like a logical plan, in my opinion.

Mohammed
Abdur Rahim
Thomas
Crawford
Marbury
Inhale deep like the words of my breath/ I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death-- Circa 1994 Nasty Nas: NY State of Mind
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
6/7/2004  7:14 PM
The most realistic option is leaving Harrington or Trybanski unprotected and the Bobcats take them and give the Knicks an exemption, which would be very easy to trade. Harrington or Trybanski will probably be traded anyway, so it's hopefully gonna happen.
#Knickstaps
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
6/7/2004  7:17 PM
Posted by JayNYC:

So... Hypothetically speaking, If Allan Houston is drafted by the Bobcats.. We'd gain his salary for the upcoming year.. which is in upwards of 18 million??? If thats the case, then lets all hope for the Bobcats to take him off our hands.

THEN we could attempt to trade Kurt Thomas and something for Shareef Abdur Rahim or Rasheed Wallace.. sign Jamal Crawford for like 3yrs or more.

Sounds like a logical plan, in my opinion.

Mohammed
Abdur Rahim
Thomas
Crawford
Marbury

Good idea, but it ain't gonna happen. No one is taking Houston with bum knees and that contract of his.
JayNYC
Member: #682
USA
6/7/2004  8:01 PM
Crawford Rumors Heating Up

There appears to be more to the projected Allan Houston news story as first reported by Dave D'Alessandro of the Star-Ledger than previously thought. Knicks President Isiah Thomas is in Chicago, but the Pre-Draft Camp at the Moody Bible Institute isn't the only thing on his mind. We've recently learned that talks regarding restricted free agent Jamal Crawford are elevating, a player Thomas has previously coveted during the season. If the Knicks do let Houston's contract go to the expansion Bobcats (who would most likely later trade him to another team such as the Nuggets), the plan is to then follow up by getting Crawford to play alongside Stephon Marbury at the 2 spot.

THIS INFORMATION WAS LISTED ON THE WWW.REALGM.COM WEBSITE
Inhale deep like the words of my breath/ I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death-- Circa 1994 Nasty Nas: NY State of Mind
martin
USA
6/7/2004  9:08 PM
Posted by JayNYC:

Crawford Rumors Heating Up

There appears to be more to the projected Allan Houston news story as first reported by Dave D'Alessandro of the Star-Ledger than previously thought. Knicks President Isiah Thomas is in Chicago, but the Pre-Draft Camp at the Moody Bible Institute isn't the only thing on his mind. We've recently learned that talks regarding restricted free agent Jamal Crawford are elevating, a player Thomas has previously coveted during the season. If the Knicks do let Houston's contract go to the expansion Bobcats (who would most likely later trade him to another team such as the Nuggets), the plan is to then follow up by getting Crawford to play alongside Stephon Marbury at the 2 spot.

THIS INFORMATION WAS LISTED ON THE WWW.REALGM.COM WEBSITE

I just don't see the Bobcats taking Houston unless the Knicks also include someone like Frank in the puzzle. It's just too weird. Actually it's an expansion draft, so they can't include another player, could they?

Wouldn't it be ironic if Houston did end up in Denver and have to sit another year, ala Dice. That would be funny, in a payback kind of way.

How do these expansion drafts work? Can you trade or include other players in the whole transaction?

Also, RealGM sources tend to be themselves.
BigSm00th
USA
6/8/2004  1:06 AM
I like Crawford a lot, he's a guy who can create his own shot and really go on scoring binges like Starks used to. He's a bit streaky, but I'll take the bad with the good.

I'm just not sold on any team taking Houston, I can't see that happening. If it did, wouldn't it put the Knicks in the running to get Kobe, since they'd have an $18 million exemption, or is that incorrect?
#Knickstaps
raven
Member: #316
Canada
6/8/2004  4:05 AM
since the lakers would sign and trade kobe, we would have to do a 3 or 4 teams deal, so that they could land a good replacement for kobe.

gonna be hard to do.
BigSm00th
USA
6/8/2004  8:41 AM
What I'm saying is if Houston is taken, do the Knicks get $18 million to spend on FAs, almost like an $18 million MLE. If this is the case, couldn't they just offer Kobe a deal starting at $18 million and increasing since he's an UFA? I don't think this would be right b/c I think you get half of the players salary, like with Dyess they got $5-6 million b/c his salary was aound 12 million.
#Knickstaps
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/8/2004  8:56 AM
Its actually a trade exception, and can only be used in a trade to take on more salary than you send out.
Posted by BigSm00th:

What I'm saying is if Houston is taken, do the Knicks get $18 million to spend on FAs, almost like an $18 million MLE. If this is the case, couldn't they just offer Kobe a deal starting at $18 million and increasing since he's an UFA?
PURE KNICKS LOVE
raven
Member: #316
Canada
6/8/2004  10:05 AM
that's why I said that basically, this trade excemption is useless unless you can convince for instance the lakers to do a sign and trade with a third team that would net the excemption.

TMS
USA
6/8/2004  12:10 PM
if that were to happen & Charlotte were to take Houston in the expansion draft (& it won't, but just to entertain the thought), then i would offer Orlando the trade exception for Grant Hill & the #1 overall pick & take Emeka Okafor...that would allow Orlando to sign a Kenyon Martin or some other frontcourt player to pair w/T-Mac & make him want to stay there.

[Edited by - TMS on 06/08/2004 12:10:46]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
6/8/2004  4:04 PM
It's a trade exception. T-R-A-D-E. The Magic would have to trade to get Kenyon.

And Charlotte will NOT be taking Houston. He makes $18 million. Their cap is $29 million for the first year. No way in the world will they take up 67% of their cap on the CHANCE they MIGHT trade Allan to Denver. It's never ever ever ever happening. But it's a nice dream.
¿ △ ?
TMS
USA
6/8/2004  5:18 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

but if for argument's sake they make that deal & they get the trade exception from the Knicks for Grant Hill's contract & the #1 pick, wouldn't that give the Magic the cap room they would need to then sign a Kenyon Martin as a FA? the Knicks are the ones making use of the trade exception in this deal, because they get rid of Allan Houston's contract & use the trade exception to trade for Hill's contract.
TMS
USA
6/8/2004  5:21 PM
just to reiterate before someone tells me this is not happening, i already stated in my first post that this didn't have a chance in hell of happening (Charlotte taking on Houston's contract that is)...i'm just asking this as a hypothetical so that i understand how this trade exception can be used.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/8/2004  6:00 PM
Actually, by trading away $14M in Hill's contract and not taking any salary back they would fall far enough below the salary cap to sign a Max player...so the scenerio is possible.
Posted by crzymdups:

PURE KNICKS LOVE
TMS
USA
6/8/2004  8:22 PM
Posted by Andrew:

Actually, by trading away $14M in Hill's contract and not taking any salary back they would fall far enough below the salary cap to sign a Max player...so the scenerio is possible.
Posted by crzymdups:

thank you, that's what i thought.
martin
USA
6/9/2004  8:31 AM
this, from the Marc Berman article today:

"In fact, the Knicks are expected to leave Houston unprotected in the upcoming expansion draft, according to a league source. Charlotte can't fit Houston's salary under its downsized cap and wouldn't be able to trade him."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/25437.htm

So, the Bobcats could draft him but could not trade him immediately.
expansion draft and trade exemption question?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy