[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Possible Midseason Deal w/ MIN
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
6/4/2004  12:52 AM
Looking at various things that might happen and team needs, here is what I can see happening next season before the AS break:
a) Allan Houston goes down for the year
b) Michael Olowokandi is still backing up while getting paid like a starter
c) Latrell Sprewell is still playing up to par and Wally is coming off the bench while getting paid like a starter
d) Sam Cassel is still hindered by back and hip problems
e) Since Marbury is tired after the Olympics, Frank Williams begins to get serious time as the 6th man and raises his stock.

I think a bunch, if not all of such things could happen. If so, would the Knicks and T'Wolves make a deal, where the Knicks got Szczerbiak and Olowokandi and the TWolves got KT, Frank Williams, and some expiring contracts to create cap space next year.

Wally is essentially a poor man's younger Allan Houston. Not as good of an athlete, but still a great shooter and OK at creating his own shot. He showed a lot of fire in the LA series and lives in NY in the offseason (I've seen him working out at the local gym a few times, lives in Cold Spring Harbor on LI where he grew up). Olowokandi could start at C for the Knicks and put up the 12, 9, and 1 guy he was in LAC when he was starting for them.

For Minnesota, they get a PG for the future in Frank Williams (Hudson was hurt much of this year as well), plus a post player who an offensive game in KT, and cap space after this year. They deal two bad contracts and get some wiggle room in the future.

Wally is a base year player, so I'm not sure how they'd work it out with the CBA, but what would everybody's thoughts be about this? For or against it?
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
raven
Member: #316
Canada
6/4/2004  4:14 AM
ah... a lot of "if" in your post bigsmoothy !

wally has a good basketball IQ, which can offset the fact is not a so good athlete. Shooters will be a premium as the centers are in the league pretty soon.

olowokandi did not imrpove a bit under mc hale, which is a pretty bad sign, frightens me a little.

I'm pretty sure we could get something more suitable to our needs with this kind of package, especially if frank 's stock rises during the season, many more teams will be interested in getting him.

nice idea, though.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/4/2004  10:18 AM
Forget about Olowokandi, he has yet to show me that he is worthy of the contract that he has received. We definitely don't need him. Before spending that money on Kandi, consider giving it to Dampier instead. Hey! if we don't pursue Dampier, I can almost guaraty you that Miami will. They are already a much improved team, can you actually see how good they can get with Dampier at the Center spot??
The true Knickabocker..........
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/4/2004  10:23 AM
You been talking to Miss Cleo from jail?

Man that's too far ahead of the game.....we don't even know what is gonna happen on draft night let alone next year in Febuary.

My head hurts already
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/4/2004  10:27 AM
i agree, i want no part of Olowakandi...he's clearly shown he'll never be anything more than a slightly above average C in this league...i would MUCH rather go after a guy like Mark Blount or Chris Anderson w/the MLE than trade KT for that guy...at least these guys aren't afraid to work & play hard everytime they're on the court.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/4/2004  10:33 AM
Posted by EnySpree:

You been talking to Miss Cleo from jail?

Man that's too far ahead of the game.....we don't even know what is gonna happen on draft night let alone next year in Febuary.

My head hurts already

exactly; this really silly speculation. It's more like basketball comedy
raven
Member: #316
Canada
6/4/2004  11:14 AM
Posted by EnySpree:

My head hurts already

So maybe you should use your fingers to type your posts instead.
timmyTtop
Member: #680
6/4/2004  1:07 PM
our priority list should be

1) trying to get reef for k thomas
2) getting dampier for MLE or expiring contracts
3) aquiriing wally which i by the way love to have on the knicks
4) NO WAY KANDI MAN
5) maybe crawford for houston
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
6/4/2004  1:37 PM
Kandi was hurt all year and didnt play well, but I would still rather have him playing frontcourt minutes than KT, Vin Baker, Harrington, Deke or Nazr because he's better than all of them. If his knee isnt shot he's a solid player in the middle. Getting Kandi is (who is in the final year of an expiring 2-year MLE contract) would be a good thing moving forward. He's got more talent than both Dampier and Blount. The question is is he healthy and can you get him to play to his potential.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
6/4/2004  3:25 PM
Posted by TMS:

i agree, i want no part of Olowakandi...he's clearly shown he'll never be anything more than a slightly above average C in this league...i would MUCH rather go after a guy like Mark Blount or Chris Anderson w/the MLE than trade KT for that guy...at least these guys aren't afraid to work & play hard everytime they're on the court.

I agree with Eny,its too early to worry bout that.

BUT Kandi imo played pretty well in the LA series. And since when is slightly ABOVE average a bad thing? Last time I checked, its better than anything we have in the front court, excluding sweets potential.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/4/2004  3:39 PM
Have you paid attention to Kandi's style of play???? Do you have any idea of how much money Kandi is schedule to make???
The true Knickabocker..........
timmyTtop
Member: #680
6/4/2004  4:52 PM
on a further note, anybody want kandi's authentic autograph (with proof) on a basketball card
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
6/4/2004  5:27 PM
Kandi's slated to make a little more than $5 million.

The fact that Kandi averaged 12 and 9 in LA and everybody writes him off and then people just hear about Dampier averaging 12 and 12 and they say give up the entire organization to get him. Olowokandi is an above average center and a possible All Star in the East (Jamal Magloire was one and he isn't much better), he was hurt this year. He definitely has attitude problems and doesn't try, but he's a 7 footer who moves well and has some game.

I don't really think it's that silly speculation. I'm not the GM and I doubt it'll happen, I just think there are fairly realistic possibilities that might happen. Houston getting hurt I think is about 90%, Olowokandi backing up next year I'd say is a high possibility. Wally coming off the bench still and Cassel at 35 being injured I think are feasible at least.

Some people never propose any ideas, they just bash others. I'm not ramming any ideas down people's throat, I think it's an interesting topic of discussion, basically, would you want Olowokandi, who would be a starting C, and Sczcerbiak, the Knicks best shooter, and instead people write stuff like "Uh this is stupid and my head hurts. Get a life." I'm just bringing it up for debate, if you don't like it, then stop reading, but don't bash me when you don't post anything original and just criticize the people that do bring up interesting or at least thought-provoking topics.
#Knickstaps
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
6/4/2004  6:34 PM
I am not a big fan of Dampier, but for equal money, I think I'd take Damp over Kandi-

Wally wouldn't be a bad addition- and McHale does owe us a debt still for essentially sending him Sprewell for nothing (Brandon's retirement contract)- not that that means anything.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/4/2004  7:51 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Kandi's slated to make a little more than $5 million.

The fact that Kandi averaged 12 and 9 in LA and everybody writes him off and then people just hear about Dampier averaging 12 and 12 and they say give up the entire organization to get him.

i think you're exaggerating there...who on this board has ever been in favor of giving up the "entire organization" to get Dampier? the only proposed trades i've heard involve either Kurt Thomas or Nazr Mohammed & cap filler.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
mintyfreshness33
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #586
USA
6/4/2004  9:51 PM
i love this trade do it do it. i would love to have wallyworld, and kandi had a bad injured year. No body would have wanted Blout, or Dampier before this year, and no one thought they would play up to the level they are playing, so gave kandi a chance. He is a 7 footer which is almost non-existant like white players on the knicks, and he is still young with potential. I say we do this trade, Min would realli need a pg cuz hudson looks like he's gonna leave.
turtle33
Member: #537
Canada
6/4/2004  11:10 PM
I would still rather have him playing frontcourt minutes than KT, Vin Baker, Harrington, Deke or Nazr because he's better than all of them
right as usual fish. thats the asad part about our centre situation IT SUCKS. kandiman would come in here and dominate all of our centres, heck even some backups would come in here and win starting jobs (blount, gadzuric, haywood, etc.).

He's got more talent than both Dampier and Blount.

true dat. i used to watch ALOT of clipper games (second favorite team) and kandiman would put on a show every once in a while and he has more talent in his none shooting arm than damp and blount combined. but , for some reason he is still just an average centre.

their career numbers are almost identicle. damp had an awsome year last year but i guarentee were ever he plays next year his numbers will go down.

pound for pound numbers wise i'd give a slight edge to damp.

dollar for dollar i'd give a huge edge to kandi.

potential i'd give a slight edge to kandi.

all in all, if we could get either one i'd be okay with it cause they are both HUGE upgrades to what we have now.

Knicks got Szczerbiak and Olowokandi and the TWolves got KT, Frank Williams, and some expiring contracts to create cap space next year.

i have absolutly no problem doing this trade. wally would be a nice backup 2 ,but then what happens to penny. or does wally backup TT at sf?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
6/5/2004  12:53 AM
pound for pound numbers wise i'd give a slight edge to damp.

dollar for dollar i'd give a huge edge to kandi.

'

huh? Their salaries are pretty similar. And if Dampier's contribution was worth about $8 mil last season, I'd say Kandi was worth about 10 cents
turtle33
Member: #537
Canada
6/5/2004  7:16 AM
i guess it depends what world you live in. in the nba world they were kind of close damp $7.842 million kandi $4.917 milion. but damp made 3 million more to me thats a difference even in nba standards.

damp out played him last year but as i have said their career numbers are very similar. the only reason everyone is so down on kandi is because he was drafted #1 and has performed like a late first rounder.

he makes a little less than damp and put a little less in the stats THIS YEAR.
Possible Midseason Deal w/ MIN

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy