[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Would the NBA be a better
Author Thread
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
6/2/2004  4:02 PM
If they took away quranteed contracts and set it up more like the NFL.

Instead of the June first cuts there would be July first cuts. Teams would be able to let go of there mistakes and build more quality teams making the NBA more competitive. Guys like Anderson & Wahad & Jerome James who are robbing the NBA would be let go after July first. They would still be owed a certain amount for that yr say depending on how much money & yrs they had left but after that yr they are completely off the books. I know it would help the Knicks out tremendously but I think it would make the NBA more competitive.

Imagine if Knicks could cut loose Anderson & Norris & Penny next yr that would be around 26mil cut loose along with the 10mil coming off by Mutombo, Trybanski, Harringon. If Magic could let go of Grant Hills contract and add players that would help them win. Bulls could cut loose Eddie Robinson & JYD & Antonio Davis. Every team could cut out there past mistakes and build better teams. No more teams with below 500. records making playoffs in the east.

Another plan could be to add a minor league system. Each team has its own minor league team they can stash there highschool players who they draft on potential but aren't ready develop NBA games & bodies they would get to play instead of sit the bench. Teams would have 12man rosters 3 for the IR for there regular teams and 10 spots for minor league. They could instill call ups and send downs. They could televise it and it would get attention as everyone would be interested because of the hype created at the draft. Guys like Milicic, Lampe, Vujanic, Skeeta, Outlaw, Ebi, Lang, Perkins, Badaine, Q.Woods would make the level of play better than the NBDL. Teams who do it right could have cheap veterans on there team staying competitive while developing there young talent in the minor league.

And another idea that Bippity came up with a while ago. Whoever has the best record but missed the playoffs down would get the most ping pong balls. This would eliminate teams tanking. Teams could go from just missing playoffs to competing for a championship. If forces GMs to build competitive teams and takes away that loosing mentality that GMs use to land top draft picks but ruin the minds of the young players they already have. Mediocre teams would have the ability to take it to the next level.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
newyorknewyork
6/2/2004  4:03 PM
My bad I meant would the NBA be better
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/2/2004  4:18 PM
not a chance in hell. The only reason the NFL is set up the way it is is because the player's union is the weakest in all the major pro sports. The NBAPU would laugh at the notion. The current model is in because of the salary escalation, and I actually think of all the pro sports the NBA probably has the fairest CBA in terms of how it serves the sport as a whole.

One rumor I heard was a "do-over" rule with cutting players against the cap. That each team would be allowed to release one player a year, and that player's salary would not count against their salary cap. The team that releases that player is still 100% responsible for the entire remaining salary, unless another team signs that player, then its minus what that new team is paying them (like we did with Deke).
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/2/2004  4:30 PM
the Do Over idea would help the Knicks out alot...they could Do Over Allan Houston's contract.

as for the idea to give the most ping pong balls to the team who just missed the playoffs...what's to prevent a team to tank 1 game at the end of the season so they JUST miss out on the playoffs & get that #1 overall pick?

i think it should be a totally equal chance lottery...every team that doesn't make the playoffs gets an equal amount of lottery balls, & then you draw positions as you go all the way until the last remaining team gets picked.

that's the only really fair way to do it imo & guarantee that no team can tank to get a better shot at the #1 pick.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
newyorknewyork
6/2/2004  4:48 PM
Some team headed for the 8th seed could try to pull something to lose out on the playoffs. The thing is though players don't tane games. The only way for managment to tank would be to tank in the beginning of the yr.

Are they serious about the do over rule though??
NYKfan1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #679
USA
6/2/2004  6:02 PM
I agree with TMS bout the lottery and every team that misses the playoffs gets the same # of ping pong balls. That would be great. As for making the cap more like the nfl it would really help out the knicks but there is no chance that it ever happens in the nba.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
6/2/2004  6:19 PM
I don't really see anything wrong with the draft lottery now.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
6/2/2004  9:46 PM
me neither matt. i think this is all the knicks losses still freshly in everyones mind. if we were winning we would'nt be so worried about the "fairness" of the draft.
Would the NBA be a better

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy