[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Copeland is Ripping It Up in Pre-Season
Author Thread
Splat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5862

10/18/2014  9:27 PM
He's been getting burn and burying threes. In tonight's game in Indy, he has 22 with six threes. He basically just pulled Indy back into the game from a good size deficit. There's one minute to go as I post this
I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
10/19/2014  1:23 AM
I think he starts with George out. The only problem is he doesn't play good defense. I thought Solomon Hill would get the nod ahead of him. Just looking at preseason box scores it appears that Chris might be the guy.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
smackeddog
Member: #883
10/19/2014  3:43 AM
He's showing improvement each game, but he's hardly 'ripping it up'

Game 1: 18.32 MINS 0/6 FG, 0/4 3PT, 1 REB, 2 AST, 0 PTS
Game 2: 20.43 MINS 2/4 FG, 2/3 3PT, 3 REBS, 3 AST, 6 PTS
Game 3: 24:09 MINS 6/10FG, 4/6 3PT, 4 REBS, 3 AST, 16PTS
Game 4: 30:29 MINS 6/15FG, 6/14 3PT, 5 REBS, 1 AST, 22 PTS

I liked Cope- can really explode offensively, but his defense was always the issue. Still, it annoyed me when I found out Kidd had advised him to sign with the Pacers, and that they had pretty much only signed him to stop us re-signing him.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/19/2014  3:51 AM
smackeddog wrote:He's showing improvement each game, but he's hardly 'ripping it up'

I liked Cope- can really explode offensively, but his defense was always the issue. Still, it annoyed me when I found out Kidd had advised him to sign with the Pacers, and that they had pretty much only signed him to stop us re-signing him.

A buddy of mine is good friends with Kidd but the more I hear/ learn about him the less I like him. My take on the cope signing was that Vogel didn't want Cope on the Knicks. Not sure if he starts on a defense first team. They need offense after losing Stephenson and George.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
Splat

10/19/2014  4:21 AM
smackeddog wrote:He's showing improvement each game, but he's hardly 'ripping it up'

You posted stats that show he's trending with higher production as his minutes increase. That means Indy is giving him room to breathe to see if he can produce and he is. He was hitting them deep in the 4th when it counted tonight and he looked good. They would not have won tonight without him is all I wanted to report really. Old Knick, wishing him well.

RonRon
Member: #246
10/19/2014  5:18 AM
As Knick fans, we all know he could shoot
Why Woodson didn't stick with him when we needed him most and it was obvious Tyson Chandler was not working against Hibbert is another story

What impresses me was his clutch and ability to play effectively when called upon
Yes, he didn't play well in the Boston series but bad nights will happen for shooters

Indiana seems to find and develop talent but also seems to bury there own gems like

Gereld Green
Plumlee

Darren Collison
Josh McRoberts

I see Copeland as a stretch 4/5
He is a shooter that lacks quickness and athleticism to defend SFs effectively
Unless a team can make up for his weaknesses like Chicago/SA, I think he will struggle at the SF

knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
10/19/2014  7:15 AM
Cope is a 3, thats all. No way is he a 4 or god forbid a 5.
smackeddog
Member: #883
10/19/2014  10:31 AM
Splat wrote:

You posted stats that show he's trending with higher production as his minutes increase. That means Indy is giving him room to breathe to see if he can produce and he is. He was hitting them deep in the 4th when it counted tonight and he looked good. They would not have won tonight without him is all I wanted to report really. Old Knick, wishing him well.

I think he's going to have a good year- they need offence and thats his strength.

GetThePipe
Member: #4505

10/19/2014  6:47 PM
knickscity wrote:Cope is a 3, thats all. No way is he a 4 or god forbid a 5.

I remember Woodson playing Cope at the 4 or 5 that season in a game against the Thunder. It was out of necessity because if I remember correctly Tyson/Kurt Thomas were out and we hadn't signed those bench bigs or KMart yet.

the lineup was a struggle to look at even on paper but damn was that a good game.

RonRon
10/19/2014  6:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/19/2014  6:54 PM

He doesn't have the speed/quickness or athleticism to defend the 3
Copeland struggled early on with the NYK's because they put him at the SF

When playing PF/C, as a stretch PF/C
He isn't going to be a good defender but he pulls the opponents rebounder/defender out of the paint, where they generally are not comfortable going out off

or

Copeland can hit a wide open shot, in which he doesn't need much room to get his shot off, in which he is a high % shooter from the 3pt line
His shot is so quick, if the PF/C comes out and jumps, he has the ability to easily blow by the main...

Knickscity, did watch the games that Copeland played as a Knick?

knickscity
USA
10/19/2014  7:08 PM
RonRon wrote:

He isn't going to be a good defender but he pulls the opponents rebounder/defender out of the paint, where they generally are not comfortable going out off

or

Copeland can hit a wide open shot, in which he doesn't need much room to get his shot off, in which he is a high % shooter from the 3pt line
His shot is so quick, if the PF/C comes out and jumps, he has the ability to easily blow by the main...

I watched all of them. Cope did play the 4, but he played the role of Novak. Now I might have to question you....how many games did you watch?

Copeland was molasses slow he doesnt blow by anyone, literally all of his moves are slow similar to Melo in skill but just slower. They were effective primarily to him being totally unknown.

Splat

10/19/2014  7:12 PM
As Ron says, Cope has a very quick release. Guys his size rarely catch and shoot as quickly as Cope does. He clearly drilled it extensively as he really has an automatic look to it with zero hesitation. Without this one skill, he probably wouldn't even be in the league.

The quickness of his release makes him a hard matchup for many teams. If his defender gets too tight on him when Cope receives the ball behind the arc, Cope has the ability to get past you and into the paint to covert or hand off a driving dish (he showed some very good passing last night by the way). Basically, his quick release will freeze defenders into no-man's land, because they still have to maintain some distance in case Cope drives.

It is an awesome single skill, but he does enough other things that give him value. His passing is improving. He is a willing defender. He lacks lateral movement so from mid-range and out, his defense is sub-par, but he has shown himself to be a willing banger in the paint. He does fight for boards. And he shows good court awareness.

Cope is a good piece for many teams. Would have liked to see him stay. He is legit firepower off the bench. He may start in Indy due to their injury situation.

Splat

10/19/2014  7:16 PM
knickscity wrote:
RonRon wrote:

or

I watched all of them. Cope did play the 4, but he played the role of Novak. Now I might have to question you....how many games did you watch?

Copeland was molasses slow he doesnt blow by anyone, literally all of his moves are slow similar to Melo in skill but just slower. They were effective primarily to him being totally unknown.

He got into the paint way more than your memory serves. Really. And he is doing it now. Watch him. But he is also showing court vision, so now he is also a threat to hit a cutter from the top of the arc. He did it last night to perfection. You're equating defensive quickness as the same as the ability to get past your defender when facing the basket. They are not the same thing.

Well, I explained why in the previous post and in sum his quick release gives him that extra spacing to initiate his drives and that is enough for Cope.

knickscity
USA
10/19/2014  7:20 PM
Splat wrote:
knickscity wrote:
RonRon wrote:

or

He got into the paint way more than your memory serves. Really. And he is doing it now. Watch him. But he is also showing court vision, so now he is also a threat to hit a cutter from the top of the arc. He did it last night to perfection. You're equating defensive quickness as the same as the ability to get past your defender when facing the basket. They are not the same thing.

Well, I explained why in the previous post and in sum his quick release gives him that extra spacing to initiate his drives and that is enough for Cope.

Never said he didnt get in the paint, he doesnt have the quickness to blow by anyone on the regular...that isnt his game. I never addressed his shot, he certainly has a good one.
Splat

10/19/2014  7:28 PM
The simplest way to sum it up is Cope is an elite catch and shoot player. He really is money from deep if you give him anything more than a second to catch and release.
RonRon
10/19/2014  7:38 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/19/2014  7:47 PM
knickscity wrote:
RonRon wrote:

or

I watched a lot of games that season, if not all at least Knick's in 60 (the 2 hour one) along with post game interviews
It was our 54 win season and it was a season where everyone had a chip on their shoulder with a lot to prove from CA, Kidd, Felton, Camby *though he never got minutes*,
The same season we didn't match Lin's contract and signed Kidd, the ball was moving, and I wanted to see Rasheed Wallace as he is one of my favorite players to see what he had left in the tank

I was very impressed with Copeland's skills, most of which is under rated as SPLAT gives a review off
He not only showed he was a great shooter but very clutch as well with the ability to play as a "rook" in MSG, also had some post up's, ability to facilitate/MOVE THE BALL *not a ball hog and shoot everytime he touched the ball, despite his limited minutes/PT*
Defense/REBOUNDING was improved very much, with veterans like Wallace/Camby/Kurt Thomas and even Kidd/Pablo helping the transition from the European league to the NBA

I do believe that he was signed by the Pacer's because his abilities to spread the floor/negate a post presence/defender like West/Hibbert while at a CHEAP cost, was to prevent another team from getting a cheap but effective counter
He isn't just a shooter while his shooting could be a top tier comparable to shooters *not overall game but just shooting* like Peja (when he was older), Kapono, Korver, Danny Green/Belinili/ Matt Bonner *who I cannot stand, McRoberts, etc
In fact I think he should be in the 3pt shooting contest in this years ALL STAR break, welcoming him back to New York

Cope is a cheap version of Ryan Anderson and has solid fundaments to go with a post game he added with Rasheed, in both deep and mid range

Copeland waited paitently for NYK's to give him an offer but instead we went with AB who isn't nearly the shooter Copeland is
He would have took less to stay in New York but when we used the MLE on Pablo/MWP, it was time to move on and make the best of his opporutnity especially since his years are numbered in the NBA, could possibly land another contract with his ability to spread the floor, especially as a BIG, however, IMO, he will fail at SF unless it is with top tier defensive teams like SA/Bulls or with talents like Lebron
Problem is Indiana already has West/Hibbert, who he will not get minutes at, especially with their philosophy on DEF

Players that had little value playing that had limited opportunities/minutes there include
These players have done well when given the opporutnity in different systems when given the opporutnity

Gereld Green/Plumlee (both traded with a 1st round pick for Scola)

Darren Collison

Josh McRoberts

Splat

10/19/2014  7:50 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/19/2014  7:51 PM
One thing Copeland illustrates is this club has had some good scouts despite general management issues over the years. Copeland was beyond off the radar. I recall most clubs had never even heard of him when they all pretty much know who is out there even if not in depth.

We need more pickups like Copeland.

They may not be like plucking someone from total obscurity as with Cope, but I'm hoping one or two of our current bench or Westchester players are as good as Cope turned out to be. Is Travis Wear going to surprise us like that? Fingers crossed.

knickscity
USA
10/19/2014  8:17 PM
Cope was a good player for us, I wont deny that at all. totally shameful to not offer a seconf year to his deal from the start, got to control your assets better.
Splat

10/19/2014  8:53 PM
knickscity wrote:Cope was a good player for us, I wont deny that at all. totally shameful to not offer a seconf year to his deal from the start, got to control your assets better.

I miss his hair

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
10/20/2014  10:45 AM
Copeland is more than just a shooter...he showed he could score in a variety of ways here. I think with 25-32 min consistent burn he would average 16+ppg. He has real NBA scoring ability.
Copeland is Ripping It Up in Pre-Season

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy