[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Starting Power Forward
Author Thread
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
10/18/2014  2:29 PM
So I've seen separate reports that Acy or Jason Smith could be our starting PF.
If Amare is 100% healthy, how come he is not in the conversation as possible starter?
AUTOADVERT
knickscity
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4241
USA
10/18/2014  2:35 PM
Amare may very well be, but it does seems Fisher is rewarding guys who help the team successful in it's goals. Defense has been good but Amare doesnt contribute there like Acy and Smith has. They also seem to grasp the concepts of the triangle better as well which isnt surprising as role players reap good benfits in a system such as this.

I have no issue with Amare starting as long as he earns it, and this traiiing camp/preseason is his chance to do so, but imo he losing the race at the moment.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/18/2014  2:56 PM
knickscity wrote:Amare may very well be, but it does seems Fisher is rewarding guys who help the team successful in it's goals. Defense has been good but Amare doesnt contribute there like Acy and Smith has. They also seem to grasp the concepts of the triangle better as well which isnt surprising as role players reap good benfits in a system such as this.

I have no issue with Amare starting as long as he earns it, and this traiiing camp/preseason is his chance to do so, but imo he losing the race at the moment.

He still thinks of himself as an elite player. We're not ruining a featured offense so I just can't see him being successful here. He doesn't rebound or defend enough to put him or there. Jason smith and Acy are doing a better job from a team standpoint. I think if we have to adjust the game to much for Amare to get his then we are going backwards. I can see Amare filing in but not contributing anything more then what the other guys would. Amare isn't a 25pts a game scorer anymore

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
10/18/2014  3:10 PM
EnySpree wrote:
knickscity wrote:Amare may very well be, but it does seems Fisher is rewarding guys who help the team successful in it's goals. Defense has been good but Amare doesnt contribute there like Acy and Smith has. They also seem to grasp the concepts of the triangle better as well which isnt surprising as role players reap good benfits in a system such as this.

He still thinks of himself as an elite player. We're not ruining a featured offense so I just can't see him being successful here. He doesn't rebound or defend enough to put him or there. Jason smith and Acy are doing a better job from a team standpoint. I think if we have to adjust the game to much for Amare to get his then we are going backwards. I can see Amare filing in but not contributing anything more then what the other guys would. Amare isn't a 25pts a game scorer anymore

I wouldn't mind starting ACY and Smith, and finishing with Amare and Sam, but then what do you do with Bargi?

Fisher truly has his work cut out for him at the 4 spot. You can't play amare for less than 25 minutes, or else he's super in effective.

ES
knickscity
USA
10/18/2014  3:13 PM
EnySpree wrote:

Could honestly care less what he thinks of himself as long as he contributes to the team winning games and doing whats required to that end. I doubt Fisher hands that role to Amare without merit. it would make him look rather silly based on what he's been preaching so far.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/18/2014  3:20 PM
EnySpree wrote:

I think it's not really helpful to look at the PPG when looking at STAT. His actual productivity per minute is what matters most. From that perspective he's still very productive on a per minute basis.

Per 100 Possessions:
Reb/ Pts/ Pts/
Age 100p 100p 36 mins
PHX 9-10 27 13.0 33.6 24.1
NY 10-11 28 11.1 34.5 24.7
NY 11-12 29 12.3 27.5 19.2
NY 12-13 30 11.4 32.4 21.8
NY 13-14 31 11.6 28.0 19.0

It's clear that STAT is still very productive despite battling injury. As he had a pretty healthy summer this could be a year where his efficiency actually goes back up a bit. The issue is whether he should start and that is really more about the chemistry of the unit than whether STAT can produce for this team overall. He simply may not fit in the starting unit but could still be a good weapon off the bench.

93BUICK
Member: #1175
USA
10/18/2014  3:35 PM
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

I think it's not really helpful to look at the PPG when looking at STAT. His actual productivity per minute is what matters most. From that perspective he's still very productive on a per minute basis.

Per 100 Possessions:
Reb/ Pts/ Pts/
Age 100p 100p 36 mins

It's clear that STAT is still very productive despite battling injury. As he had a pretty healthy summer this could be a year where his efficiency actually goes back up a bit. The issue is whether he should start and that is really more about the chemistry of the unit than whether STAT can produce for this team overall. He simply may not fit in the starting unit but could still be a good weapon off the bench.

I agree about off the bench- it brings out what's an advantage about having him and the 2nd unit will need scoring- but Eny's right too- I feel for him because he really is amazingly talented and has overcome a lot- but he needs a fundamental growth as a true team player for him to truly fit in here- Not a bad final chance for STAT to be what he hasn't been,all things considered-
If you are still following the team and reading sites like this, there is nothing, short of your own demise, that is going to throw you off this train.
Splat
Member: #5862

10/18/2014  3:58 PM
Panos wrote:So I've seen separate reports that Acy or Jason Smith could be our starting PF.
If Amare is 100% healthy, how come he is not in the conversation as possible starter?

New Regime wants new culture

Your starting five is the essential statement to your team as whole as to how you want them to play the game. On a roster without many high level defenders, the first unit has to be the best defensive unit overall to set the tone for this team. If they play well together, they can score enough to get leads early if the D is there.

That requires a unit that plays team defense and implements the triangle, neither of which Stat is qualified for. Of the two frontline bigs with expiring contracts, Bargs is way more suitable to start than Amare.

But neither will likely start unless there is a shortage of bodies due to injury, because they are not part of the future. They will be used in a utilitarian fashion to fill in holes where needed.

Stat is the worst choice for a starter on this present team. Acy or Smith are far more appropriate.

Oh, and did you somehow forget Stat has a history of not playing well with Melo on the floor? Occasionally, but mostly not.

Amare is already in the rear view mirror for this club. He could play if he plays D and doesn't become a ball stopper and gets his points in the flow of the game. Or he could end up riding the bench. But he is not going to be a featured player, unless they have a trading partner already lined up and want to give him a little shine. But showcasing him now in order to entice a trade makes no sense.

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!
nixluva
USA
10/18/2014  4:01 PM
93BUICK wrote:
nixluva wrote:
EnySpree wrote:

Per 100 Possessions:
Reb/ Pts/ Pts/
Age 100p 100p 36 mins

I agree about off the bench- it brings out what's an advantage about having him and the 2nd unit will need scoring- but Eny's right too- I feel for him because he really is amazingly talented and has overcome a lot- but he needs a fundamental growth as a true team player for him to truly fit in here- Not a bad final chance for STAT to be what he hasn't been,all things considered-

I actually don't have a problem with STAT being a scorer in the post primarily. If he is one of the few guys who isn't that much of a passer it's not the end of the world as long as he's taking good shots.

STAT does most of his scoring around the basket and he's at 63% on those post ups. If anyone should be allowed to shoot a bit too much it's STAT. We have no one else who can be this effective in the post. On top of this he's also good in PnP as well.

knickscity
USA
10/18/2014  4:26 PM
Splat wrote:
Panos wrote:So I've seen separate reports that Acy or Jason Smith could be our starting PF.

New Regime wants new culture

Your starting five is the essential statement to your team as whole as to how you want them to play the game. On a roster without many high level defenders, the first unit has to be the best defensive unit overall to set the tone for this team. If they play well together, they can score enough to get leads early if the D is there.

That requires a unit that plays team defense and implements the triangle, neither of which Stat is qualified for. Of the two frontline bigs with expiring contracts, Bargs is way more suitable to start than Amare.

But neither will likely start unless there is a shortage of bodies due to injury, because they are not part of the future. They will be used in a utilitarian fashion to fill in holes where needed.

Stat is the worst choice for a starter on this present team. Acy or Smith are far more appropriate.

Oh, and did you somehow forget Stat has a history of not playing well with Melo on the floor? Occasionally, but mostly not.

Amare is already in the rear view mirror for this club. He could play if he plays D and doesn't become a ball stopper and gets his points in the flow of the game. Or he could end up riding the bench. But he is not going to be a featured player, unless they have a trading partner already lined up and want to give him a little shine. But showcasing him now in order to entice a trade makes no sense.

Agree 100%, and I do believe this is Fisher's view as well.
Splat

10/18/2014  4:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/18/2014  4:30 PM
The problem with invoking Stat's higher FG% and ability to score in the paint is he remains a highly situational player.

If Fish is dealing with an opponent that effortlessly exploits Stat on defense every time down the floor, then that particular game may not benefit as much from Stat's offensive contributions. I'd be interested to see how many minutes Stat gets against the Spurs this year.

Stat is better as a sub so he can play while the other team is also resting some of its starters and better players. Stat needs to be put in the game when the matchups work for us on offense, but don't hurt us too much on defense. This requires him to be a sub so Fish can judge accordingly and use him situationally, not by default as a starter.

This is why you probably will never see Stat start here again unless we have injuries.

nixluva
USA
10/18/2014  5:55 PM
Splat wrote:The problem with invoking Stat's higher FG% and ability to score in the paint is he remains a highly situational player.

If Fish is dealing with an opponent that effortlessly exploits Stat on defense every time down the floor, then that particular game may not benefit as much from Stat's offensive contributions. I'd be interested to see how many minutes Stat gets against the Spurs this year.

Stat is better as a sub so he can play while the other team is also resting some of its starters and better players. Stat needs to be put in the game when the matchups work for us on offense, but don't hurt us too much on defense. This requires him to be a sub so Fish can judge accordingly and use him situationally, not by default as a starter.

This is why you probably will never see Stat start here again unless we have injuries.

My point wasn't about STAT starting, just that he's one of our most efficient players and only deep post threat. The numbers don't lie about his prowess in the paint. IMO the biggest issue with STAT here in NY has been the perimeter D. Sure he's one of the worst instinctive defenders i've ever seen, but he was on some big win teams in PHX and his poor D was somewhat mitigated by the better defense around him. Still not good but it speaks to the fact that Fish has changed the defense to a better scheme that is more sound and easier for the players to execute.

If STAT is on the floor you must make use of him offensively. His efficiency on offense is a career 114 and his defensive rating is a career 106. If you have STAT on the floor it's not for hid defense. You want him taking shots and that's my main point. This idea that he should be passing is ludicrous. Sure if he is doubled or out of position, but if he's in point blank range he should be trying to score the ball because he's a +60% scorer in the paint. Too often his teammates don't get him the ball in prime position, he doesn't get enough touches and thus you're wasting his biggest value to the team!!! Off the bench STAT should be a primary option on offense... PERIOD! It's similar to how you have to think about using Bargs in PnP or Calderon as a 3pt threat. Gear the offense towards their strengths and maximize their efficiency. This is what I think Fish will do.

knickscity
USA
10/18/2014  6:06 PM
At this point Amare is a negative impact player...thats a fact. he cannot score enough points to offset that at this point in his career. I honestly cant say he's even trying to run the triangle when he does play and even on offense the team has looked poor with him so far.
Splat

10/18/2014  6:16 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/18/2014  6:19 PM
nixluva wrote:
Splat wrote:The problem with invoking Stat's higher FG% and ability to score in the paint is he remains a highly situational player.

My point wasn't about STAT starting, just that he's one of our most efficient players and only deep post threat. The numbers don't lie about his prowess in the paint. IMO the biggest issue with STAT here in NY has been the perimeter D. Sure he's one of the worst instinctive defenders i've ever seen, but he was on some big win teams in PHX and his poor D was somewhat mitigated by the better defense around him. Still not good but it speaks to the fact that Fish has changed the defense to a better scheme that is more sound and easier for the players to execute.

If STAT is on the floor you must make use of him offensively. His efficiency on offense is a career 114 and his defensive rating is a career 106. If you have STAT on the floor it's not for hid defense. You want him taking shots and that's my main point. This idea that he should be passing is ludicrous. Sure if he is doubled or out of position, but if he's in point blank range he should be trying to score the ball because he's a +60% scorer in the paint. Too often his teammates don't get him the ball in prime position, he doesn't get enough touches and thus you're wasting his biggest value to the team!!! Off the bench STAT should be a primary option on offense... PERIOD! It's similar to how you have to think about using Bargs in PnP or Calderon as a 3pt threat. Gear the offense towards their strengths and maximize their efficiency. This is what I think Fish will do.

Nothing you wrote changes anything I wrote. Stat is very much a situational player at this point. If Stat can be efficient while playing according to Fish's expectations of how he wants the team to play, then he'll get minutes.

I never said Stat can't contribute. What I've said is he is the opposite of what Phil and Fish are building in terms of a defensive culture that plays the triangle. I've said Stat is a low IQ ball player. He's basically a moron as a ball player.

But that doesn't mean all of his talent is gone and he can't have good games and contribute. But it is all conditional at this point and not a given IMO. I will wait to see how this plays out since I don't see the slightest reason to start him. Therefore, he will still have to prove his worth as a sub is how I see it playing out.

He's halfway out the door. This is not a win now year. There are multiple considerations in play here and many of them don't include any concern whatsoever over giving him minutes. There is no one to appease. Stat has no clout. His play will determine his contrition, period.

nixluva
USA
10/18/2014  7:38 PM
Splat wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Nothing you wrote changes anything I wrote. Stat is very much a situational player at this point. If Stat can be efficient while playing according to Fish's expectations of how he wants the team to play, then he'll get minutes.

I never said Stat can't contribute. What I've said is he is the opposite of what Phil and Fish are building in terms of a defensive culture that plays the triangle. I've said Stat is a low IQ ball player. He's basically a moron as a ball player.

But that doesn't mean all of his talent is gone and he can't have good games and contribute. But it is all conditional at this point and not a given IMO. I will wait to see how this plays out since I don't see the slightest reason to start him. Therefore, he will still have to prove his worth as a sub is how I see it playing out.

He's halfway out the door. This is not a win now year. There are multiple considerations in play here and many of them don't include any concern whatsoever over giving him minutes. There is no one to appease. Stat has no clout. His play will determine his contrition, period.

We're talking past each other now. Not really disagreeing. I agree STAT is a low IQ player, but my point is that if you have a guy like that who is so efficient in an area of need then you figure out how to use him and maximize his impact and minimize his weaknesses. One of those ways is to actually get him the ball in the paint where he's freakin highly efficient!!! If STAT is on the floor in the post DON'T IGNORE HIM! GET HIM THE DAMN BALL!!! A lot of the teams issues with actually running the Triangle is a lack of guys who can really get low position and do something down there. A deep post helps to spread the defense and form a great Triangle with proper spacing.

No sense in having a guy on the floor who can help your team play more efficient BB and not give him the ball. The thrust of the Triangle is to actually get those high % scoring opportunities inside that will help create more space for perimeter scorers. I agree STAT doesn't have to start but it's silly to say he shouldn't be a key bench player. It's not about having clout or not. I've written that I think Fish has the Juice to play who he feels gives his team the best chance to win. I think he would include STAT in that mix of players and he's said so himself. I trust Fish will make the best decision in regards to who should play and how many minutes.

Splat

10/18/2014  7:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/18/2014  7:43 PM
No problem with any of it. Pour moi, it still all boils down to Stat earning his minutes as I don't believe he is a lock for anything. So, of course you want to run offensive sets that get him the ball in a good position, preferably on the move to the rim, but I don't focus on that as I consider it a moot point. If the coach wants to use him, I already assume as much from a guy as smart as Fish.
knickscity
USA
10/18/2014  7:44 PM
Amare has looked for the most part awful on both side of the ball. Offesnviely I just dont see Fisher catering to Amare to get him going at the expense of the team's structure itself. Same thing with bargnani, the team has flowed better by the game WITHOUT him.
Splat

10/18/2014  7:58 PM
Does anyone remember how Woodson said he actually played vets during their expiring years to give them a better chance at landing new contracts?

I wanted to strangle that MF right then and there.

knickscity
USA
10/18/2014  8:01 PM
Splat wrote:Does anyone remember how Woodson said he actually played vets during their expiring years to give them a better chance at landing new contracts?

I missed that quote....thats a fireable offense there.
Splat

10/18/2014  8:30 PM
knickscity wrote:
Splat wrote:Does anyone remember how Woodson said he actually played vets during their expiring years to give them a better chance at landing new contracts?

I missed that quote....thats a fireable offense there.

I may have merged MDA and Woodson into a composite nightmare coach called D'Woody. I consulted my memory banks and I realized it may have been MDA who said it. I know it was said. I know I was ticked off. I know the past trauma of being a Knicks fan has damaged my brain.

Starting Power Forward

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy