[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I Like Enes Kanter...
Author Thread
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

10/18/2014  1:52 AM
...and I'm skeptical that the Jazz would throw big money at him this upcoming offseason. We should be prepared to take a look at him because the talent is there. If Derrick Favors' best position wasn't at the 5, that point would be crystal clear by now. It's very rare to find a big man that has his athleticism, with an ability to both space the floor and a relatively advanced post game as one of the better (per minute) rebounders in the league. I think he'll be the 2nd coming of Nikola Pekovic.
AUTOADVERT
H1AND1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5648

10/18/2014  2:44 AM
How's his defense?
Splat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5862

10/18/2014  4:49 AM
TripleThreat wrote:If the Knicks were going to blow money on a center who can't defend the rim, they could have traded for Spencer Hawes at the last deadline ( at least he would give you versatile plus offense )

Almost every permutation of center possibilities for the Knicks that I've seen would require the Knicks to basically acquire Taj Gibson to compensate for defense. Gibson is the rare power forward who can play above and defend the rim. Good defensive instincts, good footwork, good fundamentals, good ball awareness, good timing, understands defense naturally. He's sub 7 foot but has a good wingspan and standing reach, has tremendous length and knows how to maximize his size. ( Kanter IMHO is like one of the Zeller brothers and plays a very small center)

Instead of trying to get Kanter or Pekovic or McGee, as the board has talked about the past few weeks, just try to get Gibson. Not saying the Knicks could practically get Gibson, but that is the kind of player you want on the team. A solid two way asset, not another teams misfit that the Knicks will overpay just because he was the most recent name to get churned on the market.

Gibson would be very interesting in the Triangle. And he'd pump up the squad's defensive enthusiasm for sure. I've wanted Noah, but that is not bound to ever happen. Bringing over one of those top Chicago guys would be a good pedigree move as they've been programmed to give no quarter.

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
10/18/2014  9:06 AM
Bulls really like Gibson and he is under contract until 2017-2018. Bulls aren't giving him to the Knicks unless we overpay.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
NardDogNation

10/18/2014  9:49 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/18/2014  9:51 AM
TripleThreat wrote:If the Knicks were going to blow money on a center who can't defend the rim, they could have traded for Spencer Hawes at the last deadline ( at least he would give you versatile plus offense )

Almost every permutation of center possibilities for the Knicks that I've seen would require the Knicks to basically acquire Taj Gibson to compensate for defense. Gibson is the rare power forward who can play above and defend the rim. Good defensive instincts, good footwork, good fundamentals, good ball awareness, good timing, understands defense naturally. He's sub 7 foot but has a good wingspan and standing reach, has tremendous length and knows how to maximize his size. ( Kanter IMHO is like one of the Zeller brothers and plays a very small center)

Instead of trying to get Kanter or Pekovic or McGee, as the board has talked about the past few weeks, just try to get Gibson. Not saying the Knicks could practically get Gibson, but that is the kind of player you want on the team. A solid two way asset, not another teams misfit that the Knicks will overpay just because he was the most recent name to get churned on the market.

Why would the Bulls give up Gibson if their objective is to win? I try to be optimistic about stuff like this but there is no permutation I can see that leads to Gibson being a Knick. Enes Kanter, however, will be imminently available and contrary to what you suggest, shows real promise at 22. No he isn't a complete player but he wouldn't be available if he was. But he has very good footwork, pretty good rebounding numbers and seems capable of defending the rim if playing his natural position at the 5 spot. So I'd take a serious look at him, especially with how slim the pickings will be this offseason.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/19/2014  12:47 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:Why would the Bulls give up Gibson if their objective is to win? I try to be optimistic about stuff like this but there is no permutation I can see that leads to Gibson being a Knick.

I said "Not saying the Knicks could practically get Gibson, but that is the kind of player you want on the team."

You want "that kind of player" I never said the Knicks could get him. I even said it was practically impossible to get him at this point.

Any potential acquistion the Knicks make the next three years have to factor in that Calderon and Melo are roster locks by virtue of their contracts. ( Calderon's deal, I don't think it can be moved, I just don't see anyone wanting his negative defense and taking his age 36 year as an expiring even, not without getting assets in return for taking him, not with more and more teams getting cap space flexibility)

The Knicks have no choice( if they want to actually try to win) but to seek PLUS DEFENDERS. Not just guys who can defend their own weight, but guys who are true two way players who can anchor a defense or lock down their side of the floor.

Calderon and Melo's defense is already below average ( that was a kind evaluation honestly, it's really worse than below average) and as they age, it will GET WORSE. That's the nature of Father Time, he is undefeated and all your abilities erode.

Kanter cannot compensate for Melo and Calderon's atrocious defense. A guy like Omer Asik or Taj Gibson can.

The problem the Knicks face is that they are FORCED to try to find a plus defender at center who can offer legit help defense with good recovery speed, strong rebounding and enough offense to keep other centers working on D themselves. When you have turnstiles like STAT and Calderon and Melo, you are putting your pivot through way too much attrition and stress on the court. You can't leave a guy on an island like that for seasons and games at a time and not start to crack him. I don't agree with Chandler cashing it in last year, but you could clearly see he was cracked under the weight of being the only true defensive stalwart on the team.

There is a reason why players who are available are available in the first place. There's a reason their original teams don't want them anymore or want to trade them or let them walk.

Calderon + Melo + Player X.

Does that equal, in total, something that could even work as getting the Knicks to middle of the pack defensively? If the player you insert into "Player X" in that equation makes it a "No" then it's a waste of the Knicks money, roster space and time.

The Knicks don't need a guy who could develop, they need a guy who can legitimately defend right now.

This is the TAX YOU PAY AS A TEAM when your 'franchise player' on a monster contract is a historically a lousy and lazy defender.

There are going to be some fantastic options at 5 in the next draft which have not bèen in depth of quality which we will see next June. To me next offseason is the most critical for the team in years.

RIP Crushalot😞
NardDogNation

10/19/2014  4:39 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:Why would the Bulls give up Gibson if their objective is to win? I try to be optimistic about stuff like this but there is no permutation I can see that leads to Gibson being a Knick.

I said "Not saying the Knicks could practically get Gibson, but that is the kind of player you want on the team."

You want "that kind of player" I never said the Knicks could get him. I even said it was practically impossible to get him at this point.

Any potential acquistion the Knicks make the next three years have to factor in that Calderon and Melo are roster locks by virtue of their contracts. ( Calderon's deal, I don't think it can be moved, I just don't see anyone wanting his negative defense and taking his age 36 year as an expiring even, not without getting assets in return for taking him, not with more and more teams getting cap space flexibility)

The Knicks have no choice( if they want to actually try to win) but to seek PLUS DEFENDERS. Not just guys who can defend their own weight, but guys who are true two way players who can anchor a defense or lock down their side of the floor.

Calderon and Melo's defense is already below average ( that was a kind evaluation honestly, it's really worse than below average) and as they age, it will GET WORSE. That's the nature of Father Time, he is undefeated and all your abilities erode.

Kanter cannot compensate for Melo and Calderon's atrocious defense. A guy like Omer Asik or Taj Gibson can.

The problem the Knicks face is that they are FORCED to try to find a plus defender at center who can offer legit help defense with good recovery speed, strong rebounding and enough offense to keep other centers working on D themselves. When you have turnstiles like STAT and Calderon and Melo, you are putting your pivot through way too much attrition and stress on the court. You can't leave a guy on an island like that for seasons and games at a time and not start to crack him. I don't agree with Chandler cashing it in last year, but you could clearly see he was cracked under the weight of being the only true defensive stalwart on the team.

There is a reason why players who are available are available in the first place. There's a reason their original teams don't want them anymore or want to trade them or let them walk.

Calderon + Melo + Player X.

Does that equal, in total, something that could even work as getting the Knicks to middle of the pack defensively? If the player you insert into "Player X" in that equation makes it a "No" then it's a waste of the Knicks money, roster space and time.

The Knicks don't need a guy who could develop, they need a guy who can legitimately defend right now.

This is the TAX YOU PAY AS A TEAM when your 'franchise player' on a monster contract is a historically a lousy and lazy defender.

What makes Taj Gibson special is the fact that he's unique. Aside for Al Horford, who does what he can? This is why I thought that talking about Gibson (or the only player like him) is moot. Given the projected free agent landscape, our best bet to develop that position is by taking a gamble on a project like Kanter IMO. I think he's a better bet to grow into something and is good enough defensively to not be a liability. I'm not concerned about his ability to cover other's mistakes because Melo is not nearly as bad a defender as people make him out to be and Calderon can't continue to be a starter for us if we plan on doing anything in the future.

I Like Enes Kanter...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy