[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Celtics going to acquire Will bynum in salary dump
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/17/2014  10:33 AM
Right there is our third PG upgrade. He can supplant the first two--maybe we can trade Ptigs and that gives us a legit back up vet PG with larkin able to watch or play big minutes in the D league.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

10/17/2014  11:22 AM
Will Bynum sucks. I am pretty sure Larkin could duplicate his ineptitude on the court but hopefully he does better and develop into a dependable back up.
BRIGGS
10/17/2014  12:11 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:Will Bynum sucks. I am pretty sure Larkin could duplicate his ineptitude on the court but hopefully he does better and develop into a dependable back up.

He gives you more punch than what we have now. Im not interested in developing at the sake of losing right now--maybe after 30-40 games but not now. He's been pretty consistent @ 45% 9 points and 4 assist playing 20 minutes--thats solid production. And in the case we lose Calderon--hes more than able to start. The additional PG pool is not big--if we can get Bynum and release Outlaw--that would help the team.

RIP Crushalot😞
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

10/17/2014  12:22 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:Will Bynum sucks. I am pretty sure Larkin could duplicate his ineptitude on the court but hopefully he does better and develop into a dependable back up.

He gives you more punch than what we have now. Im not interested in developing at the sake of losing right now--maybe after 30-40 games but not now. He's been pretty consistent @ 45% 9 points and 4 assist playing 20 minutes--thats solid production. And in the case we lose Calderon--hes more than able to start. The additional PG pool is not big--if we can get Bynum and release Outlaw--that would help the team.

Are you talking about the Will Bynum on the Pistons because he is usually under 45% and turns the ball over. He also can't shoot the three which will not cut it in this system. His defense needs work too.

I'd take Larkin and definitely Pablo over Bynum.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/17/2014  1:20 PM
I think some of us are being WAY too critical of Larkin as a prospect. He's trying to adjust to a very different offense than he's played before. He's young and relatively inexperienced, but he does have talent and will eventually get more comfortable and be able to show that talent. The kid can play and just needs to get his head wrapped around this new situation.

BRIGGS
10/17/2014  1:37 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Are you talking about the Will Bynum on the Pistons because he is usually under 45% and turns the ball over. He also can't shoot the three which will not cut it in this system. His defense needs work too.

I'd take Larkin and definitely Pablo over Bynum.

One of our worst problems right now is we have no penetrators--thats what Will does for himself or others. We have lacked drawing fouls getting out on the break scoring points. This players has a 6 year history of success in this league doing what we do not possess right now. Difference between Larkin and Bynum at this point beyond a LOT of experience--Larkin cannot finish at rim Bynum can. We must have some analytic guys saying this stuff---I mean through 4 games were not scoring were not getting into the lane were not drawing fouls. Many other teams are scoring 100+ nightly--were at an 85 pt avg.

RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
10/17/2014  1:40 PM
nixluva wrote:I think some of us are being WAY too critical of Larkin as a prospect. He's trying to adjust to a very different offense than he's played before. He's young and relatively inexperienced, but he does have talent and will eventually get more comfortable and be able to show that talent. The kid can play and just needs to get his head wrapped around this new situation.

he needs heavy minutes in the D league learning how to understand the nuances of what they a re trying to teach. he needs to learn angles when to shoot when to pass--I think he can be useful--but he still needs breaking in. he was only a sophomore when he came out--he did not play much last year. He needs developmental time.

RIP Crushalot😞
F500ONE
Member: #5844

10/17/2014  2:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/17/2014  2:18 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Right there is our third PG upgrade. He can supplant the first two--maybe we can trade Ptigs and that gives us a legit back up vet PG with larkin able to watch or play big minutes in the D league.

Will would be our 2nd pg without question

In some cases possibly start

He and Calderon platooned in Detroit

This is why you don't haste to

Add $1.7mil to next year's payroll

Splat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5862

10/17/2014  3:01 PM
Larkin's ability to contribute could surprise.

What I've seen already is a case of a player overcoming psychological hurdles. The guy has had the jitters and since he is a crack baby full of chihuahua blood, he needed to calm down first. He wasn't yipping, shivering and twitching as much in his last game.

It is hard to do much of anything when you are overly adrenalized. It might be good for a pass rusher, but not a PG.

If Larkin keeps relaxing, the game will slow down for him and we may see a big step up in quality of play sooner than later.

I think his primary obstacle has been mental. He already knows enough to play PG in the NBA and he has the unique gift of speed. A calm Larkin may be contributing soon.

If every player were judged the way some are judging Larkin, we'd never develop anyone. The franchise is invested in him now, so if you trust Phil, then you can have patience with Larkin.

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!
nixluva
USA
10/17/2014  3:15 PM
It could be that Phil is more interested in the potential of Larkin than the known quality of Bynum. Phil is a very deliberate man and I doubt he'd not be aware of all the options available to him for improving the team. However, this is a project that isn't really about this year only but the future as well. Phil is a different guy. He looks beyond just the abilities of players and also looks at the mental aspects and the chemistry. Bynum is a 31 yr old vet, 32 in Jan., with a pretty set game. He's capable but at the same time not what i'd call a Triangle fit. He's a driver more than a shooter, which has it's positives, but... Basically he's just OK. I don't know if Phil feels it would be the best fit, maybe he does, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he doesn't.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/17/2014  3:21 PM

I'm higher on Will Bynum than you, but I'm not sure we need to bring him in. Bynum doesn't really address our biggest issue, which is defending other PGs. Bynum can penetrate, but that's not a major need in this offense. We should still keep our eyes out for veteran guards tho.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BRIGGS
10/17/2014  3:44 PM
Splat wrote:Larkin's ability to contribute could surprise.

What I've seen already is a case of a player overcoming psychological hurdles. The guy has had the jitters and since he is a crack baby full of chihuahua blood, he needed to calm down first. He wasn't yipping, shivering and twitching as much in his last game.

It is hard to do much of anything when you are overly adrenalized. It might be good for a pass rusher, but not a PG.

If Larkin keeps relaxing, the game will slow down for him and we may see a big step up in quality of play sooner than later.

I think his primary obstacle has been mental. He already knows enough to play PG in the NBA and he has the unique gift of speed. A calm Larkin may be contributing soon.

If every player were judged the way some are judging Larkin, we'd never develop anyone. The franchise is invested in him now, so if you trust Phil, then you can have patience with Larkin.

I'm all for development--Ive said that since I started posting here. I think a series of 10-15 games where Shane gets 40 minutes playing PG for Westchester would go a lon way in his development. That is where he can learn to harness control. Its hard in the real NBA--he will be up and down. Wosre of Calderon is out--we are really stuck. Bynum is better than Prigs--thats what I was looking for. He gets to the rim hes quick powerful. Hes an energy player who scores. Prigs does not score. Trade out Prigs move in Bynum and start Shane in the D league.

RIP Crushalot😞
Splat
Member: #5862

10/17/2014  3:51 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
Splat wrote:Larkin's ability to contribute could surprise.

I'm all for development--Ive said that since I started posting here. I think a series of 10-15 games where Shane gets 40 minutes playing PG for Westchester would go a lon way in his development. That is where he can learn to harness control. Its hard in the real NBA--he will be up and down. Wosre of Calderon is out--we are really stuck. Bynum is better than Prigs--thats what I was looking for. He gets to the rim hes quick powerful. Hes an energy player who scores. Prigs does not score. Trade out Prigs move in Bynum and start Shane in the D league.

You're talking about a player you want traded for and Larkin is who we've got. The hypotheticals I will typically deal with revolve around our personnel, not wishlists.

Further, many of my posts thus far are heavily imbued with my read of the Knicks administration. My interpretation of how things may play out are predicated on how I believe management may be thinking. And I see a long-term mentality setting in which means even if the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, I doubt you are going to have much success anticipating what trades Phil makes in the future.

Larkin is here to stay for now. Even if he gets developed and traded, buckle up and support your local crack baby. Its not like you have a choice.

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!
RonRon
Member: #246
10/18/2014  12:27 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/18/2014  12:33 PM
We have a 3.6 trade exemption to offer
Attained from the Dallas, Tyson/Calderon trade

I like Bynum but would prefer Randy Foye in this system if we didn't have to give up assets to acquire them and just offer the trade exemption to help another team clear salary
We also have a partial guarantee to Dalembert to offer with our depth at PF/C

I don't know why Pablo is still on this roster, with our development/rebuilding stage
He should just seek a buyout rather than go through another 2 years of 82 game season at his age
Pablo could be a "scout" or "advisor" while receiving this years pay and forgoing next season's to help us clear salary
To make up that money he could be given a title that would not affect our salary cap
I don't think any team would actually trade for Pablo with his partial guaranteed contract next season but if we can trade him without giving up assets, I am all for it
At his age does he really still want to go through practice and lose, at his part of his career/life

Finestrg
Member: #1069

10/18/2014  12:53 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/18/2014  12:55 PM
I'd actually like to see the kid look for his own offense a little more. This kid CAN penetrate, shoot, etc.. I mean we've seen it--he has some prior experience in the DL (albeit limited) where he played well, we saw a much more aggressive (not to mention efficient) player his 2nd year at Miami, and we saw some flashes in Dallas when he was healthy and inserted into the lineup.. Seems to me he's just looking to be a little too fine out there, making sure he sets up the offense the way coach wants it, making sure his teammates are getting their touches, etc... Might be playing a little too tight...As a result, there's been turnovers & some mistakes made. Hey, that's what the pre-season's for though, right? I'd like to see him a tad more aggressive looking for his own shots. If it were a question of his ability to do certain things, I'd say OK, let's look elsewhere but I don't feel that's the case. The ability's there. And the athleticism's definitely there...He just looks too passive right now. Maybe too much thinking and not enough reacting, not enough assertiveness/aggressiveness. A more assertive/aggressive Shane Larkin would be a night & day difference to what we've seen so far (which is only 4 pre-season games, btw, trying to fit into a brand new situation with new players, a new system to learn and perfect...). I'm really not that concerned. I'm actually glad Fish and Phil are committed to him. I'd be surprised if he didn't keep showing improvement every game. Last game against Philly, he looked better than he had the previous 3..
nixluva
USA
10/18/2014  1:34 PM
Yeah most of what I've read this year seems to be a lack of patience. We have to allow more than a few weeks for Larkin to get comfortable. I think once he is past the stage of trying to stick to the strict rules of the Triangle and realizes the ways he can score and let's his natural instincts take over, he'll be fine.
BRIGGS
10/18/2014  1:37 PM
nixluva wrote:Yeah most of what I've read this year seems to be a lack of patience. We have to allow more than a few weeks for Larkin to get comfortable. I think once he is past the stage of trying to stick to the strict rules of the Triangle and realizes the ways he can score and let's his natural instincts take over, he'll be fine.

Hey if Phil Pressy makes Larkin look bad--then it's up to Shane to play up a level before the real deal starts. Give me a 13 point 6 assist game with less than 2 TO's

RIP Crushalot😞
nixluva
USA
10/18/2014  2:19 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
nixluva wrote:Yeah most of what I've read this year seems to be a lack of patience. We have to allow more than a few weeks for Larkin to get comfortable. I think once he is past the stage of trying to stick to the strict rules of the Triangle and realizes the ways he can score and let's his natural instincts take over, he'll be fine.

Hey if Phil Pressy makes Larkin look bad--then it's up to Shane to play up a level before the real deal starts. Give me a 13 point 6 assist game with less than 2 TO's

Meh! Pressey is in a different situation. I'm pretty sure Larkin would look more comfortable in a PnR based O which is his strong suit coming out of college. This system is totally different for him. In a PnR set he would be more aggressive since that is the nature of how a PG is expected to run a PnR play. Now he has to hold back his aggression, pass off and wait, read and react which is a totally different role.

NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

10/18/2014  10:00 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

I'm higher on Will Bynum than you, but I'm not sure we need to bring him in. Bynum doesn't really address our biggest issue, which is defending other PGs. Bynum can penetrate, but that's not a major need in this offense. We should still keep our eyes out for veteran guards tho.

I'm in the same boat with you about Bynum. In the right circumstances, I could see him being a valuable contributor in someone's rotation. He might not be among the best of defenders but I still think he's an upgrade for us in that regard. He's strong as a bull and could move his feet well laterally, which is more than I can say about either Larkin or Calderon.

NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

10/18/2014  11:17 PM
nixluva wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Meh! Pressey is in a different situation. I'm pretty sure Larkin would look more comfortable in a PnR based O which is his strong suit coming out of college. This system is totally different for him. In a PnR set he would be more aggressive since that is the nature of how a PG is expected to run a PnR play. Now he has to hold back his aggression, pass off and wait, read and react which is a totally different role.

The fact that Larkin's bread and butter is the pick & roll makes me less inclined to keep him. Why try to fit a circle into a square hole? Portland should have interest in him and I think CJ McCullom is a much better fit for us.

Celtics going to acquire Will bynum in salary dump

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy