[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

NY POST: Gritty Acy has good chance to be Knicks’ starting power forward
Author Thread
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
10/16/2014  3:19 PM
nixluva wrote:It's really gonna be interesting to watch this play out this season. It's been so predictable around here and now we're in new territory. The old rules don't apply. Fish is liable to do anything. The last preseason games will tell us a bit more.

Yep, I never thought Fisher would have the guts to do it, but it's really looking like there is a chance either Amar'e or Bargs is going to be benched.

AUTOADVERT
H1AND1
Member: #5648

10/16/2014  3:27 PM
fishmike wrote:
Splat wrote:Sounds like the lineup I predicted is going to be the starting 5 if this is true.

Dalembert
Calderon
Shump
Melo
Acy

http://nypost.com/2014/10/15/gritty-acy-has-good-chance-to-be-knicks-starting-power-forward

The article cites many of the basic reasons speculated on here by myself and others.

Acy's a classic workhorse PF fit next to Melo. Acy knows his role and fills it.

Acy + Shump = high energy tone for 1st unit D. With Dalembert and more D from Melo, its a competent defensive starting 5 that is enough to compensate for Calderon's inability to contain penetrators.

Bargs is muffing it so Acy has stepped in. I think that is good luck for the team to not to have to start Bargs. Fish is definitely using this as a way to excuse himself from starting Bargs. You can see the political usage of the media already being deployed. They made some puffy comments earlier about how great the expiring vets will be, but they always have their out clauses as the coach.

the great thing about this article however is it seems that Fisher is focused on the best team, not catering to personalities.

Agree 100%

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/16/2014  5:43 PM
Wally Z calls Quincy acy the cookie monster cuz he gets all the cookies on the court....
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Splat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5862

10/16/2014  7:15 PM
I call Acy "Chin Milk" because that beard gets in the way when you're dunkin donuts.
I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/16/2014  8:42 PM
gunsnewing wrote:I was down on this team because of guys like Amare, Bargnani and JR Smith
I was looking towards the future and replacing them via draft and free agency

but now that I can clearly see Phil's vision of replacing those guys with cheap acquisitions who's skills fit the big picture that is the Triangle.
I feel we are closer to winning now and will be closer as we continue to utilize the draft and free agency

With the exception of Cleveland the league is wide open, we might have a chance

Great post. Totally agree.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
DJMUSIC
Member: #1283

10/18/2014  3:13 PM
<<<
Dalembert
Calderon
Shump
Melo
Acy
>>...

There is NO Scoring from this bunch if MELO's scoring is off at start of games.
That is an issue , Melo cant be sole scorer starter Teams will key in to that &
snuff #7 thus opposition has greatest chance to get off to hot starts if offensive minded.

Turntable Musiclover & Mix-Master-ologist
knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
10/18/2014  3:37 PM
DJMUSIC wrote:<<<
Dalembert
Calderon
Shump
Melo
Acy
>>...

snuff #7 thus opposition has greatest chance to get off to hot starts if offensive minded.

Seems like a lineup like that may prevent the opposition from scoring alot as well. A lineup such as that emphasizes defense with timely shooting. All those players can put a ball through the hoop.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/18/2014  3:49 PM
knickscity wrote:
Dalembert
Calderon
Shump
Melo
Acy
>>...

Seems like a lineup like that may prevent the opposition from scoring alot as well. A lineup such as that emphasizes defense with timely shooting. All those players can put a ball through the hoop.

We can't win. If we have a lineup that is all scoring then people complain we aren't focused on D. Fish puts a defensive lineup out there and some complain that it won't score enough. I don't see that much of a problem with at least taking a look in preseason at a defensive unit to start. It won't be hard to simply plug in Bargs or Jason to pump up the scoring ability a bit. We'll see over the next few games if this unit can score enough or if we need to make a change.
Splat

10/18/2014  4:04 PM
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Dalembert
Calderon
Shump
Melo
Acy
>>...

We can't win. If we have a lineup that is all scoring then people complain we aren't focused on D. Fish puts a defensive lineup out there and some complain that it won't score enough. I don't see that much of a problem with at least taking a look in preseason at a defensive unit to start. It won't be hard to simply plug in Bargs or Jason to pump up the scoring ability a bit. We'll see over the next few games if this unit can score enough or if we need to make a change.

There is nothing wrong with featuring your star out of the gate. Melo had many big first quarters before. I expect that to continue. He can score 8-12 points in the first quarter and get a bucket or two from everyone else and you've got your first quarter in good shape.

This club lost so many games last year in the first quarter and then played either like doomed dogs the rest of the game or had failed comebacks.

It is key they keep it close or get a lead in the first quarter. I don't see the issue about offensive talent the way some are stating it. Fish is going to put on the floor the five that play well together the best which is how you get points, particular in this new system.

knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
10/18/2014  4:30 PM
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Dalembert
Calderon
Shump
Melo
Acy
>>...

Not sure what you mean, any lineup with Melo and Calderon in it together doesnt strike me as a defensive lineup.

Like Ive stated all those cats can put the ball through the hoop...the lineup just has an EMPHASIS on defense, not necessarily a defensive lineup.

Splat

10/18/2014  4:42 PM
Dalembert is still the best conventional defensive center we've got.

With opposing PGs turning the corner on Jose, you need a presence in the paint.
With Melo probably being just OK, you'll need a big with their hands high up in the air to assist.

Jason Smith on O is going to operate from the outside in, not inside out. On defense, Jason is going to be scrappy and get some deflections, but I don't yet think he provides the paint presence Sam does.

Sam is good. Is he the best? No, but many teams still don't have a player like Dalembert in the middle.

He makes the first unit make sense. Add in Acy and you have defensive intensity and grit to go with Shump and the 1st Unit can come together as a team defense and handle themselves.

We'll get penetrated on more than we like, but unless every penetrator has a world class floater, we can still defend the rim.

Remove Acy and put in Stat like some want and then you have problems in expecting Sam to account for the whole frontcourt. You put in Acy or try Smith for a twin tower effect which may also work for stretches.

DJMUSIC
Member: #1283

10/18/2014  5:24 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/18/2014  5:27 PM
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:
Dalembert
Calderon
Shump
Melo
Acy
>>...

All here and Nix poster make some very very good points here

Look I'm no Kiljoy when it comes to Defense, sure I'd like to have stoppers I complained on another post "Where's D' coming from"?

But lets not get ahead of ourselves if Acy wins job fine, this is only PRESEASON !
this bunch has not been together long enough defending and being looked like as STOPPERs to win gamesout of gate in pro NBA games when they count. Keep in mind as well THIS AINT the Ewing bunch also offensively challenge but had known notable starters like Mase, Oak and
Starks whom would and could stop while getting off offensively since that Ew 90's Knicks was together awhile & more talented than this
Knick starter bunch 2014 cited here. IT aint even close!

Also I am glad Andrea isn't starting.
My only gripes if you're relying on MELO to be the man with this bunch offensively,
you're asking for trouble when trouble comes in pro game season start vs. the good teams, OR BETTER teams of NBA

They will force the Acy's, Dalemberts and Shumperts to become scoring mentality
and we all know THAT Aint their game ESPECIALLY Mr Shumpert.

If your current NBA Team needs to start Acy, Dalember with PG Calderone for reasons stated in this post (excellent post)
then perhaps Shumpert need to come off bench early & Mr. JR Smith need to start instead. I Cant believe I said it!
I never look at JR Smith as a long term NBA starter option but if you're going to need a complement player offensively
with MELO Anthony why not JR ? At least the inconsisten JR Smith is capable of being 2-way player at times when needed
especially offensively whether shooting OR going to basket to draw fouls.

*Comments ? ?

Turntable Musiclover & Mix-Master-ologist
Splat

10/18/2014  6:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/18/2014  6:10 PM
You're behaving like we have no scoring outside Melo which is simply wrong.

Jose is an ELITE shooting PG. He will get open looks. He will convert.

Sam has shown he knows what he is doing and he will score. How many starting centers are counted on for more than what Sam provides? A few. The rest Sam can stack up with just fine. He is an upgrade on offense and he will score. 6-10 points in 20-25 minutes is the production we need from him.

If Shump averages 10-15, he can be good for 10-20 any given night.

Acy will add a few points. Jason Smith a few more.

You can get 25 points out of this first unit in the first quarter, particularly when you account for steals, deflections and blocks we will get from them, which affects the point spread to our favor if we are causing turnovers or getting good stops.

We have not had a PG on offense who can nail it from downtown alongside Melo before. We do now. Give it a chance.

NY POST: Gritty Acy has good chance to be Knicks’ starting power forward

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy