[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

NY POST: Gritty Acy has good chance to be Knicks’ starting power forward
Author Thread
Splat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5862

10/16/2014  12:03 AM
Sounds like the lineup I predicted is going to be the starting 5 if this is true.

Dalembert
Calderon
Shump
Melo
Acy

http://nypost.com/2014/10/15/gritty-acy-has-good-chance-to-be-knicks-starting-power-forward

The article cites many of the basic reasons speculated on here by myself and others.

Acy's a classic workhorse PF fit next to Melo. Acy knows his role and fills it.

Acy + Shump = high energy tone for 1st unit D. With Dalembert and more D from Melo, its a competent defensive starting 5 that is enough to compensate for Calderon's inability to contain penetrators.

Bargs is muffing it so Acy has stepped in. I think that is good luck for the team to not to have to start Bargs. Fish is definitely using this as a way to excuse himself from starting Bargs. You can see the political usage of the media already being deployed. They made some puffy comments earlier about how great the expiring vets will be, but they always have their out clauses as the coach.

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/16/2014  12:17 AM
Not surprised. Very happy about this
Splat

10/16/2014  12:18 AM
This starting 5 on offense can get it done from most parts of the floor if they are playing well as a unit.

3 Pointers

Jose
Melo
Shump

Mid-Range Jumpers

Melo
Jose
Shump

Dalembert
Acy

Short-Range Jumpers

Melo
Dalembert
Acy

Post-Up

Melo
Dalembert

Penetrators

Shump
Jose
Melo

Lob Catchers

Shump
Dalembert
Melo
Acy

2nd Chance Putbacks

Melo
Dalembert
Acy

Shump

Back-Door Cutters

Shump

Fast Break

Calderon: Outlet Passes to Melo or Shump
Shump: Steals
Unit Defensive Pressure: Opponent Turnovers

nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
10/16/2014  12:20 AM
I don't think Fish needed any special trickery to go with whoever he wanted in the starting lineup. Fish is the one that stated that he would play the best group that got it done on both ends. I actually believe him. Fish is a different cat. He was the one that wasn't afraid to say no to Kobe. Fish was already sending the signal early that he wasn't going to play favorites or politics. He could care less about what a player makes. I think with him it's all about Basketball. He could have been starting STAT if it was about politics. STAT is a big money guy.

We need to drop the overly cynical attitude towards everything with this team. It's a new day and sometimes you have good things happen to your team. Fish is one of the best things to happen to this team IMO. He may change his mind and play different players at some point but I think it will always be about BB. He's not beholden to anyone except Melo and that's not really a problem considering he's the best player.

In truth I think Fish could get by starting either Acy, Bargs or Jason and it wouldn't hurt the team that much. I think he really wants to set the tone about defense and he knows he has LOADS of scoring off the bench. There's no need to worry about points. His best defensive group will be able to establish the tone and still be able to score enough to build leads. Then he can let his bench pick up the pace and be more of a scoring unit, but the ability to have a good defensive starting unit that can close out games could be huge.

Splat

10/16/2014  12:29 AM
nixluva wrote:I don't think Fish needed any special trickery to go with whoever he wanted in the starting lineup. Fish is the one that stated that he would play the best group that got it done on both ends. I actually believe him. Fish is a different cat. He was the one that wasn't afraid to say no to Kobe. Fish was already sending the signal early that he wasn't going to play favorites or politics. He could care less about what a player makes. I think with him it's all about Basketball. He could have been starting STAT if it was about politics. STAT is a big money guy.

We need to drop the overly cynical attitude towards everything with this team. It's a new day and sometimes you have good things happen to your team. Fish is one of the best things to happen to this team IMO. He may change his mind and play different players at some point but I think it will always be about BB. He's not beholden to anyone except Melo and that's not really a problem considering he's the best player.

In truth I think Fish could get by starting either Acy, Bargs or Jason and it wouldn't hurt the team that much. I think he really wants to set the tone about defense and he knows he has LOADS of scoring off the bench. There's no need to worry about points. His best defensive group will be able to establish the tone and still be able to score enough to build leads. Then he can let his bench pick up the pace and be more of a scoring unit, but the ability to have a good defensive starting unit that can close out games could be huge.

You're preaching to the converted here.

I agree with all you say about Fish, but him and Phil still leave bread crumbs that show a certain psychological savvy. Praising guys in advance regardless of how you play them is just playing the game of ego management which has nothing to do with being beholden or not.

Fish strikes me as an independent thinker, amen. But he's also clever and knows the ropes as a player so he can be a badass coach without being a jerk. He can just state matter of factly how things are going to be and I believe that will be enough.

Just be firm and act on principle which is what I see from Fish and what I've predicated my analysis on so far about who will start and get the most minutes. I didn't think salaries would factor into it and it looks like it won't.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/16/2014  1:56 AM
It's really gonna be interesting to watch this play out this season. It's been so predictable around here and now we're in new territory. The old rules don't apply. Fish is liable to do anything. The last preseason games will tell us a bit more.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/16/2014  2:21 AM
Splat wrote:Sounds like the lineup I predicted is going to be the starting 5 if this is true.

Dalembert
Calderon
Shump
Melo
Acy

http://nypost.com/2014/10/15/gritty-acy-has-good-chance-to-be-knicks-starting-power-forward

The article cites many of the basic reasons speculated on here by myself and others.

Acy + Shump = high energy tone for 1st unit D. With Dalembert and more D from Melo, its a competent defensive starting 5 that is enough to compensate for Calderon's inability to contain penetrators.

Bargs is muffing it so Acy has stepped in. I think that is good luck for the team to not to have to start Bargs. Fish is definitely using this as a way to excuse himself from starting Bargs. You can see the political usage of the media already being deployed. They made some puffy comments earlier about how great the expiring vets will be, but they always have their out clauses as the coach.

What this does puts poor balance in the roster. Essentially you have three highly inconsistent players on offense to start the game which gives the opponent leeway to key on Melo. I will defintely take my chances with Acy Shumpert and Dalembart shooting the ball. And the next unit--we took the defensive players and put them all in unit 1--so you would have Smith Bargs JR and Hardaway and they all are shooters. Maybe it goes well a few games? but give it time and they will key hard on Melo if that is the starting unit.

RIP Crushalot😞
Splat

10/16/2014  3:44 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
What this does puts poor balance in the roster. Essentially you have three highly inconsistent players on offense to start the game which gives the opponent leeway to key on Melo. I will defintely take my chances with Acy Shumpert and Dalembart shooting the ball. And the next unit--we took the defensive players and put them all in unit 1--so you would have Smith Bargs JR and Hardaway and they all are shooters. Maybe it goes well a few games? but give it time and they will key hard on Melo if that is the starting unit.

That's more predicting than I think any of us can make at this point. If it is going to be a system that works, you will increase the productivity of the first unit and they will all get open looks. If they play the Triangle and make it work, then, NO, teams will not be able to only key in on Melo. They could in the past and the objective is to play a different kind of ball.

I'm not ordering my championship ring and have modest expectations for this year, but you are way to pessimistic IMO.

What you're citing is the general issue with this club for many, many years now, a lack of 2-way players, hence the possibility of a quasi-2nd unit full of offensive players and little defense.

I've considered this already and it is why we may not see a full fledged 2nd unit, but substitutions of 1 or 2 players at a time to keep a mix of defensive players on the floor.

And the point of the Triangle system too is to get even defensive players open looks where they can use their skills to convert.

Naturally, this favors outside shooters generally and why Phil is going to hunt for defenders with an outside shot, but that is why I broke down the offensive contributions this first unit can make. If they play the triangle well, they can convert from all spots on the floor and you'll be happier about it.

The real issue is depth defensively more than offensively and why a 2nd unit may not work as well with the current personnel. But that is why you enforce a defensive culture first and get even the worst defenders to start putting in the effort with the threat of losing minutes otherwise.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/16/2014  5:54 AM
One thing that seems evident is Phil really had a vision for what roles the players he acquired might have on the team. It will be interesting to see what happens with Outlaw. I think Phil saw him as a potential backup to Melo. It doesn't appear like he is going to have much of a role on the team.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
10/16/2014  7:40 AM
nixluva wrote:We need to drop the overly cynical attitude towards everything with this team. It's a new day and sometimes you have good things happen to your team. Fish is one of the best things to happen to this team IMO. He may change his mind and play different players at some point but I think it will always be about BB. He's not beholden to anyone except Melo and that's not really a problem considering he's the best player.

You like playing with gasoline and sparklers, don't you?

newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/16/2014  9:00 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/16/2014  9:00 AM
CrushAlot wrote:One thing that seems evident is Phil really had a vision for what roles the players he acquired might have on the team. It will be interesting to see what happens with Outlaw. I think Phil saw him as a potential backup to Melo. It doesn't appear like he is going to have much of a role on the team.

Outlaw was never going to get mins. You got Jr Smith, Shump, Hardaway that you have to find mins for so they will take mins from the SF position. Then Early in the wings. Outlaw was a throw in.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
10/16/2014  9:09 AM
There are still plenty of preseason games left to decided what the best starting lineup is.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/16/2014  9:27 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
Splat wrote:Sounds like the lineup I predicted is going to be the starting 5 if this is true.

Dalembert
Calderon
Shump
Melo
Acy

this... they have a gravity metric now in the NBA. It measures how much attention a players gets away from the ball. Its a pretty cool stat because it spells out which player opposing teams target the most. The two guys in the NBA who had the highest score were Melo and Paul George (I honestly forget who was 1 and 2). Last year we saw Melo chased constantly and worn down by the end of games. Now are going to surround him Acy and Dalembert... two guys who are total non entities on offense, and Acy is totally unproven as far as even being a rotation player in the league. Shump is a wildcard but we have seen when he's asked to do too much he's wildy inconsistant at best. Last year Shump had 37 games where he scored five points or less. He had 7 games he didnt score at all.

Hard to see that lineup working for any extended period of time.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
USA
10/16/2014  9:29 AM
jrodmc wrote:
nixluva wrote:We need to drop the overly cynical attitude towards everything with this team. It's a new day and sometimes you have good things happen to your team. Fish is one of the best things to happen to this team IMO. He may change his mind and play different players at some point but I think it will always be about BB. He's not beholden to anyone except Melo and that's not really a problem considering he's the best player.

You like playing with gasoline and sparklers, don't you?

Ethel alchohol. Much safer, doesnt burn as hot... Your really not giving nix credit. Safety first!
fishmike
USA
10/16/2014  9:55 AM

Dalembert
Calderon
Shump
Melo
Acy

the great thing about this article however is it seems that Fisher is focused on the best team, not catering to personalities.
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

10/16/2014  10:49 AM
fishmike wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Dalembert
Calderon
Shump
Melo
Acy

this... they have a gravity metric now in the NBA. It measures how much attention a players gets away from the ball. Its a pretty cool stat because it spells out which player opposing teams target the most. The two guys in the NBA who had the highest score were Melo and Paul George (I honestly forget who was 1 and 2). Last year we saw Melo chased constantly and worn down by the end of games. Now are going to surround him Acy and Dalembert... two guys who are total non entities on offense, and Acy is totally unproven as far as even being a rotation player in the league. Shump is a wildcard but we have seen when he's asked to do too much he's wildy inconsistant at best. Last year Shump had 37 games where he scored five points or less. He had 7 games he didnt score at all.

It's a obviously a lineup that will live and die on how Shumpert and Acy shoot the ball.

They seem to like what Acy brings to the table on D, and remember, he can also switch with Anthony and play D at the 3 if Melo is having problems. You cannot do this with Smith or Amare. If Acy can actually hit the midrange jumper on a somewhat consistent basis and can give you 7-8 rebounds/game, + give you the toughness, hustle, and D he is known for, he is going to get 25-30 mpg, IMO.

On the other hand, Acy might also be a guy who starts, but gets his minutes adjusted if his shooting is off and we want/need more offense. Jason Smith will get his minutes, whether at the 4 or 5. His jumper is solid and he seems like a smart player who finds ways to compensate for his limited athleticism.

Have to think that there will be a lot of shuffling in the first part of the season as Fisher experiments. We seem to have some frontline flexibility, since Amare and Smith can both get minutes at the 5 if they want to go with a more offensive minded and defensively challenged lineup.

I don't think anyone knows what the starting lineup of the Knicks will be 30 games into the season- just have to hope that everyone plays to their capabilities, and trust that Fisher and Jackson know what they are doing.

Big thing right now is that everyone buys into the offensive scheme and shows some f'n pride and tenacity on the defensive end.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
10/16/2014  10:52 AM
fishmike wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Dalembert
Calderon
Shump
Melo
Acy

You're comparing the new team to an old iso-metric, right? If opponents this season replicate that melo-centric gravity, that should open up Acy and SamD at point blank around the basket, right? It would also include getting Shump moving and grooving, rather than the oft-mentioned sitting in the corner waiting on Iso sets in order to launch those patented my knees are cold today threes.

Add in a PG who can shoot and does not suffer from any shooting bashfulness.

Homery butter flavored optimism, I know...

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
10/16/2014  10:54 AM
fishmike wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Dalembert
Calderon
Shump
Melo
Acy

One thing about this lineup is it has many similarities to the lineup in 2012 that gave us one of the hottest starts of all time. Melo, Felton, Kidd, Chandler, and Brewer just had a chemistry like non other, and maybe with a few more games together this team can build that chemistry. That being said, the lack of scoring and balance could be a concern.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/16/2014  10:56 AM
BRIGGS wrote:

Dalembert
Calderon
Shump
Melo
Acy

They will key in on Melo and the rest of those guys will get good shots and hit them

Welcome to the Triangle

fishmike
USA
10/16/2014  10:59 AM
jrodmc wrote:
fishmike wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

Dalembert
Calderon
Shump
Melo
Acy

You're comparing the new team to an old iso-metric, right? If opponents this season replicate that melo-centric gravity, that should open up Acy and SamD at point blank around the basket, right? It would also include getting Shump moving and grooving, rather than the oft-mentioned sitting in the corner waiting on Iso sets in order to launch those patented my knees are cold today threes.

Add in a PG who can shoot and does not suffer from any shooting bashfulness.

Homery butter flavored optimism, I know...

well you figure the guy who sags on Melo would be a wing, not a big, or at least guarding the big who isnt in the post. If your defending that lineup is this simple: Sag on Melo. Do NOT let Calderon get an open look from deep and force Shump/Sammy/Acy to beat you with midrange jumpers. Force those other guys to beat you.
NY POST: Gritty Acy has good chance to be Knicks’ starting power forward

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy