[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OK4 or Howard
Author Thread
NYKfan1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #679
USA
6/1/2004  2:17 PM
I'm not suggesting a trade or anything but i was just wonderen if the knicks had the #1 pick what everyone would wan't the knicks to do with it. would it b better to take OK4 who would be better for immediate purposes but has back issues or Howard who has more upside but is not as ready.

At this point i say Okafor, but i don't think its as easy a choice for the KNICKS as some people r tellin me it would be.

thoughts?
AUTOADVERT
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/1/2004  3:19 PM
It would be better for the Knicks to trade that pick. Package it with Allan Houston's contract for a dominant player like TMack/Kobe/Carter or Dampier/JRichardson type of players.

Posted by NYKfan1:

I'm not suggesting a trade or anything but i was just wonderen if the knicks had the #1 pick what everyone would wan't the knicks to do with it. would it b better to take OK4 who would be better for immediate purposes but has back issues or Howard who has more upside but is not as ready.

At this point i say Okafor, but i don't think its as easy a choice for the KNICKS as some people r tellin me it would be.

thoughts?
The true Knickabocker..........
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/1/2004  3:29 PM
if the Knicks had that pick, & i HAD to use it w/o trading, i'd probably take Okafor, but i'd really want Howard in the back of my mind...that's because of the questions around Okafor's back & being undersized at the C position, which is what he'd be playing for this team afterall w/KT & Sweetney here.

but you'd have to take the safe pick & go w/Okafor imo, especially since NY is all about being competitive now...Okafor would have a much bigger impact next year than Howard imo...that is, as long as he stayed healthy.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/1/2004  3:34 PM
How do you know for sure???? Why are you predicting that OKafor is more ready than Howard? How do you know for sure that this Howard is not the next Duncan???
Posted by TMS:

if the Knicks had that pick, & i HAD to use it w/o trading, i'd probably take Okafor, but i'd really want Howard in the back of my mind...that's because of the questions around Okafor's back & being undersized at the C position, which is what he'd be playing for this team afterall w/KT & Sweetney here.

but you'd have to take the safe pick & go w/Okafor imo, especially since NY is all about being competitive now...Okafor would have a much bigger impact next year than Howard imo...that is, as long as he stayed healthy.
The true Knickabocker..........
TMS
USA
6/1/2004  4:13 PM
uh...i don't know for sure...i just know it's the safer choice.

(sheesh, bite my head off why don'tcha)
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/1/2004  4:27 PM
wow, this is a weird post. The guys was just putting forth who he thought the KNicks would rather pick and there are some pretty good reasons below. Wow.
Posted by diderotn:

How do you know for sure???? Why are you predicting that OKafor is more ready than Howard? How do you know for sure that this Howard is not the next Duncan???
Posted by TMS:

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/1/2004  11:30 PM
If I were the Knicks, I would trade the number 1 pick....however, If I had to use it, I would pick Howard. Emeka's back problems scare me a bit (if not for that I would pick Emeka), but if Aguirre had a chance to work with Howard (look what he did with Sweets) it would be nice....
~You can't run from who you are.~
raven
Member: #316
Canada
6/2/2004  9:27 AM
this draft is a very tough one for those who have high picks. good prospects will fall and make them regret.

speaking about luck, look at what cleveland got last yr in comparison with what orlando can get now. Who said life is fair ?
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
6/2/2004  9:50 AM
If I were the Orlando GM, I would trade the number pick to Atlanta for the 6th and 17th pick for this years draft and Atlanta's 1st round pick next year.

Orlando has too many holes and since Okafor has that back problem and an unproven HS kid is the next choice, I would go with this route.

Atlanta desperately wants Howard.
TMS
USA
6/2/2004  9:53 AM
if i were Orlando's GM, i would rather trade T-Mac to a team like the Pacers for Ron Artest & Al Harrington (& their 1st round pick if you could squeeze it out of them) & keep the #1 overall pick & take Okafor.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/2/2004  10:09 AM
Posted by NYKBocker:

If I were the Orlando GM, I would trade the number pick to Atlanta for the 6th and 17th pick for this years draft and Atlanta's 1st round pick next year.

Orlando has too many holes and since Okafor has that back problem and an unproven HS kid is the next choice, I would go with this route.

Atlanta desperately wants Howard.

This sounds like a good trade and course of action for Orlando but it would signal the end of T-Mac, so that would have to take place right around the same time so they don't loose trading leverage.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
spreeeewell
Member: #436
6/2/2004  10:15 AM
Posted by TMS:

if i were Orlando's GM, i would rather trade T-Mac to a team like the Pacers for Ron Artest & Al Harrington (& their 1st round pick if you could squeeze it out of them) & keep the #1 overall pick & take Okafor.
I agree! I would trade Tmac for two good veteran players and do the same with the 1st pick on a seperate deal.
I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees!
NYKBocker
USA
6/2/2004  11:25 AM
Posted by TMS:

Orlando would be downright scary with that lineup.

They would have to be really creative though. Artest is a base year player.
TMS
USA
6/2/2004  11:59 AM
Posted by NYKBocker:
Posted by TMS:

Orlando would be downright scary with that lineup.

They would have to be really creative though. Artest is a base year player.

yeah, true...but it makes sense for both teams imo, since Reggie is going to retire soon & they need a legitimate scoring threat on the perimeter to pair up w/O'Neal in the post...& after that late flagrant foul that pretty much sealed the win for the Pistons the other night, i'm not sure if Larry Bird might not just be sick & tired of Ron Artest's shenanigans.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/2/2004  12:56 PM
What Artest needs is to play with an enforcer, like Charles Oakley. Besides Reggie, (And I don't even know how much of a leader he is) it seems to me that those Pacers don't have much of a leader. It's all a bunch of kids. I guarantee you, if Artest went to the Houston Rockets, you wouldn't be seeing any of that, anymore.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/2/2004  1:41 PM
I would trade the pick. This is a draft where I really don't want the first pick. I would package that pick and try to dump Houston and Anderson and pick up a future pick......Actually using the pick to try to get T-Mac isn't bad either.. As far as Howard or Okafor. I would take Okafor. We know what Okafor can do, he is also more NBA ready, taking Howard is a chance, not every HS player is going to be the next Kobe or Amare...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
NYKBocker
USA
6/2/2004  1:48 PM
Posted by TMS:

yeah, true...but it makes sense for both teams imo, since Reggie is going to retire soon & they need a legitimate scoring threat on the perimeter to pair up w/O'Neal in the post...& after that late flagrant foul that pretty much sealed the win for the Pistons the other night, i'm not sure if Larry Bird might not just be sick & tired of Ron Artest's shenanigans.

Yup. Artest is definitely entering the "Anthony Mason" zone. A brilliant instinctive player with a loose cannon attitude. Actually, come to think about it, he is a cross between Mason and Rasheed.
TMS
USA
6/2/2004  2:10 PM
he should've been a Knick.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
6/2/2004  11:38 PM
i would take Okafor. he's the most under-rated under-hyped player in terms of the draft that I can remember with his combination of size speed strength agility IQ etc... the guy is 6-9 1/4 260 pounds in bare feet bench presses over 400 pounds has a vertical leap of 36 inches --incredible agility with a velvet like touch around the basket and Karl Malone like finishing power

if you look at the knicks we have no one even close to what he has in combination of power size speed + athletiscm. the closest would be sweetney who is atleast 2 inches shorter without the athletiscm and defensive agility.
this guy is the second coming of alonzo mourning i wouldnt be so fast to poo-poo the pick if Im Orlando.

Howard has a TON of skill but he needs a lot of polish because he doesnt have any moves on the block. Maybe he will be better than Ok4 in 3 years, I dont know but I dont see enough in him to warrant the pick over him.
RIP Crushalot😞
NYKBocker
USA
6/3/2004  9:09 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

i would take Okafor. he's the most under-rated under-hyped player in terms of the draft that I can remember with his combination of size speed strength agility IQ etc... the guy is 6-9 1/4 260 pounds in bare feet bench presses over 400 pounds has a vertical leap of 36 inches --incredible agility with a velvet like touch around the basket and Karl Malone like finishing power

if you look at the knicks we have no one even close to what he has in combination of power size speed + athletiscm. the closest would be sweetney who is atleast 2 inches shorter without the athletiscm and defensive agility.
this guy is the second coming of alonzo mourning i wouldnt be so fast to poo-poo the pick if Im Orlando.

Howard has a TON of skill but he needs a lot of polish because he doesnt have any moves on the block. Maybe he will be better than Ok4 in 3 years, I dont know but I dont see enough in him to warrant the pick over him.
So his back problems doesn't bother you one bit? I agree with you that talent and skill level alone he is the consensus number 1 pick. He performed well in big games and he has a little bit of Bill Russell in him, but he still has a back problem. Remember LJ. He was a monster in college. A monster in Charlotte. Then his back went. He was still a great Knick but Grand Momma went away with his back.

By the way, going on a tangent here...My favorite commercial was when Larry Bird and Magic Johnson was trying to create the perfect player and Bird said we should name him Larry and Magic said his last name will be Johnson.
OK4 or Howard

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy