[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

If I picked the offseason after thinking about it
Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
10/22/2014  1:24 AM
NardDogNation wrote:I'm not sure that celebrating the acquisition of the 20th best PG in a 30 team league is an accomplishment; not if the objective is to build a winner. More importantly , I doubt that it can even be perceived as a building block considering that said player is 33 years old.

The better bet would've been to eat Felton's contract, leverage as many picks as possible for Tyson Chandler and from whatever subsequent trade exception we'd get for him, then to tank this season for a high lottery pick. At least then we could say that there is a plan in place. Instead, we are now positioning ourselves to be the new Atlanta Hawks or Milwaukee Bucks of yesteryear.

I said top 20, but he was higher than that on many of the lists. Dime Mag had him at 16. I can understand your point about his age but Fisher played up until he was 39 and Prigs is still playing. There's not much pressure on Jose in this system. He'll be fine until we can add the PG of the future. I see no reason to have forgone adding him just cuz he wasn't the best in the NBA. This is not just about right now. There will be more changes coming and we all know this. I'm pretty sure Phil knows what he's gonna need to make this team a true contender.
AUTOADVERT
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
10/22/2014  1:32 AM
NardDogNation wrote:I'm not sure that celebrating the acquisition of the 20th best PG in a 30 team league is an accomplishment; not if the objective is to build a winner. More importantly , I doubt that it can even be perceived as a building block considering that said player is 33 years old.

The better bet would've been to eat Felton's contract, leverage as many picks as possible for Tyson Chandler and from whatever subsequent trade exception we'd get for him, then to tank this season for a high lottery pick. At least then we could say that there is a plan in place. Instead, we are now positioning ourselves to be the new Atlanta Hawks or Milwaukee Bucks of yesteryear.

You're not sure getting rid of an overhyped, overinjured locker room FluCancer and the documented worst PG in the league is an accomplishment? Really? So in your world, building a winner is only done through a year (most likely two) of losing. Then you win. In New York City. So we get one draft pick in 2015 and that solves everything. Then we can tank again, and wait until 2017 when we can get another lottery pick. Then by 2018, everything will be great. Phil will be dead, DFish will be coaching OKC and Melo will still be counting his money.

Yes, I'm sure that tanking is a truly brilliant and attractive plan for your 60 million dollar Prez, a 124 million dollar SF and your 25 million dollar coach. Please speak intelligently about how you sell your tanking concept to Mr. I just peed away 200 million on 3 people Dolan.

Tanking. Nard, did you take a wrong turn and think you were at the Sixers board?

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/22/2014  1:53 AM
jrodmc wrote:

You're not sure getting rid of an overhyped, overinjured locker room FluCancer and the documented worst PG in the league is an accomplishment? Really? So in your world, building a winner is only done through a year (most likely two) of losing. Then you win. In New York City. So we get one draft pick in 2015 and that solves everything. Then we can tank again, and wait until 2017 when we can get another lottery pick. Then by 2018, everything will be great. Phil will be dead, DFish will be coaching OKC and Melo will still be counting his money.

Yes, I'm sure that tanking is a truly brilliant and attractive plan for your 60 million dollar Prez, a 124 million dollar SF and your 25 million dollar coach. Please speak intelligently about how you sell your tanking concept to Mr. I just peed away 200 million on 3 people Dolan.

Tanking. Nard, did you take a wrong turn and think you were at the Sixers board?

I certainly don't want to tank but it is possible this team is irrevocably discombobulated. If it appears that way by game 30-40 then with only 1 draft pick in the next 2 years,tanking becomes a strategy. Hey were at game 6 of pre season and we still have no clue who is starting the 2-4-5 and we've started a guy who was a back up bit player for a 30 win team. Why did we guarantee a 5-9 PG 2mm next year? Did you see any 5-9 PG's on the Bulls or Lakers? Why is Phil interested in so many raw players? Thansis Acy Shumpert. There is no doubt that Wear is our best rookie. If we had to give up Early to keep him--I would. I think Wear has the potential to be a quality intangible player on a good team. Early and Larkin are going to be express to Westchester. early needs to learn how to dribble and put on 10-15 pounds and Larkin needs big minutes for a multitude of reasons.

RIP Crushalot😞
NardDogNation
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #5555

10/22/2014  1:53 AM
nixluva wrote:

I said top 20, but he was higher than that on many of the lists. Dime Mag had him at 16. I can understand your point about his age but Fisher played up until he was 39 and Prigs is still playing. There's not much pressure on Jose in this system. He'll be fine until we can add the PG of the future. I see no reason to have forgone adding him just cuz he wasn't the best in the NBA. This is not just about right now. There will be more changes coming and we all know this. I'm pretty sure Phil knows what he's gonna need to make this team a true contender.

Let me break this down in guy terms to articulate my point. Jose Calderon is basically the PG version of an office whore/slut (God bless 'em): while both deserve your time....neither will ever be worth a long-term commitment. And that's exactly how the Raptors treated Calderon, also bringing in guys like Mike James, TJ Ford and Jarrett Jack as "side pieces", while they were still in their prime. Unfortunately for us, we're the desperate smuck that ends up marrying this aging PG/chick because its the best we've had in a long time and the best we think we could do. And we know how this story ends...

NardDogNation

10/22/2014  2:07 AM
jrodmc wrote:

Tanking got the David-Robinson-Spurs Tim Duncan. Tanking got the 50-ish win Hinrich-Gordon-Deng Bulls team Derrick Rose. Tanking got the post-Jason Kidd Suns Amare Stoudemire (and an opportunity to get the cap space to inevitably sign Steve Nash).

Tanking for a year doesn't mean that you'll remain a perpetual bottom-feeder. The teams I mentioned are a few examples of teams that simply had an off-year and managed to use the opportunity to set their agenda for the next decade. We have an opportunity now to do the same thing and I think we need to consider taking it. Especially at Melo's age, we need to put ourselves in a position to acquire the next star on deck. That's what all good franchises do and is why Kawhi Leonard is a Spur, etc.

Splat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5862

10/22/2014  2:43 AM
If Melo is smart, he'll meet with Phil and say "Let's tank this bitch this year and get the # 1 player in the draft."
I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!
jrodmc
USA
10/22/2014  9:33 AM
Holy shit! This is a Sixer's board!
NardDogNation

10/22/2014  10:56 AM
jrodmc wrote:Holy shit! This is a Sixer's board!

...and the Sixers are destined to be a monster in this league if everyone stays healthy. I rather be them than be stuck in limbo like we are. Sometimes you need to take a step back to take two forward.

jrodmc
USA
10/23/2014  8:13 AM
NardDogNation wrote:

...and the Sixers are destined to be a monster in this league if everyone stays healthy. I rather be them than be stuck in limbo like we are. Sometimes you need to take a step back to take two forward.

http://www.phillysportscentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?14-Sixers-Message-Board-amp-Discussion-Forum
Looks like fun. You'll notice most of the threads have nothing to do with the future monsterism of the team.

Yeah, I'd rather spend 5 years or so in the septic tank than suffer in limbo.

NardDogNation

10/23/2014  9:51 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/23/2014  9:52 AM
jrodmc wrote:
NardDogNation wrote:

http://www.phillysportscentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?14-Sixers-Message-Board-amp-Discussion-Forum
Looks like fun. You'll notice most of the threads have nothing to do with the future monsterism of the team.

Yeah, I'd rather spend 5 years or so in the septic tank than suffer in limbo.

To each his own. A guy like Embiid is a generational talent and they have him flanked with guys that can very well find themselves in an all-star game in the future. I rather that promise than limbo. After all, we've been in limbo (tethering on awful) for a decade and a half. Clearly that hasn't worked out for us.

If I picked the offseason after thinking about it

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy