[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

If I picked the offseason after thinking about it
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/11/2014  5:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/11/2014  5:37 PM
I wouldve kept Chandler and Felton. I think Calderon's contract is not worth it. That trade added net 8 and 11mm to salary cap the next two years for a player who is not the PG I would ultimately want.

I wouldve signed both Jeff Adrien and Jimmer Freddette to 2 year 2-3 mm(1-1.5mm) $ contracts with 2nd year options. I like how Freddette can spread the floor from the PG spot and even if he ultimately was a back up the contract age and skills I want are there(I also think hes way better than hes been used). I like Jeff Adriens toughness defense and rebounding he doesnt get hurt hes powerful and under rated--Smith to me is a guy who I wouldve never thought of as we had Bargs in his last year. Adrien is an 80's Knick with low miles and good age(27) Evene in the triangle there are players who just play roles(aka Rodman etc..)

If I had the same opportunity at pick 57 I wouldve taken Cory Jefferson as a no brainer and I wouldve passed on the pick altogether if he wasnt still there.

I wouldve tried to trade Prigs for any 2nd round pick.

I wouldve also signed my own players Cole A and T Murry to a 2 year 1-1.5mm$

I wouldnt have shaken up the roster and maybe some people(fans would be mad as felton likely would still be starting) I would not have Early Larkin Calderon Smith Dalembart Outlaw. Maybe I keep Tyler maybe I dont--wouldve attended camp to se if he was a top 15 roster guy or not. Essentially I wouldve only added two role players Adrien and Freddette

Reasoning. I dont think the team we have now--with the added cap space is in anyway materially better than what I wouldve kept. I feel my role players--Adrien and Freddette wouldve gave the team a boost and both players wouldve likely stayed healthy. I wrote on my Facebook page two years ago that I thought Cory Jefferson was a lottery pick if he came out in 2013 so how could I bypass him at 57 the next year??

I wouldve had a completely open competition at PG. With Adrien and a resigned Aldrich it gives me that extra bodies we did not have two years ago when we won 54 games.
And Im either boom or bust. Either we are good out of the box and I can yield a 50 win season where I can compete with anyone in the playoffs--or at game 41 I blow the MFer up and dive dump to take the best C in the draft and have that extra cap space to re do the roster with more buying power.

The what if thread:)

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
knickscity
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4241
USA
10/11/2014  5:49 PM
I cant truly get into the "who'd I'd sign portion" of the post as thats beyond the teams control, but no doing the trade at all is an interesting topic.

Calderon certainly does take up some more cap space which could be vital in free agent signings next season, and even though I'm not very high on him specifically....the deal really had to be done.

Tyson basically said he wanted no part, and felton was beyond awful. The parts recouped are decent imo.

Doesnt mean I think the team wins any more games...I dont, but we'll see.

BRIGGS
10/11/2014  6:08 PM
knickscity wrote:I cant truly get into the "who'd I'd sign portion" of the post as thats beyond the teams control, but no doing the trade at all is an interesting topic.

Calderon certainly does take up some more cap space which could be vital in free agent signings next season, and even though I'm not very high on him specifically....the deal really had to be done.

Tyson basically said he wanted no part, and felton was beyond awful. The parts recouped are decent imo.

The 3mm on we spent on Smith wouldve been 500k more split up before each player who both happen to have strong ties to the area--in short we wouldve easily gotten both Freddette and Adrien imho.

RIP Crushalot😞
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/12/2014  12:03 AM
I like Early a ton but I think Jersmi Grant is going to be more then a solid pro for a long time. I am not sure that grant wouldn't have been the better pick.
I do the Tyson/Felton trade 8 days a week. Can't stand the legend of Tyson and Felton just isn't that good.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/12/2014  12:57 AM
CrushAlot wrote:I like Early a ton but I think Jersmi Grant is going to be more then a solid pro for a long time. I am not sure that grant wouldn't have been the better pick.
I do the Tyson/Felton trade 8 days a week. Can't stand the legend of Tyson and Felton just isn't that good.

I feel the same way about Glenn Robinson III, but I'm cool with the picks we made. My main problem with the trade is that we have money tied up in Calderon and we still need to upgrade the PG position. I'm hopeful Calderon's deal won't look that bad in two years.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BRIGGS
10/12/2014  1:07 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:I like Early a ton but I think Jersmi Grant is going to be more then a solid pro for a long time. I am not sure that grant wouldn't have been the better pick.

I feel the same way about Glenn Robinson III, but I'm cool with the picks we made. My main problem with the trade is that we have money tied up in Calderon and we still need to upgrade the PG position. I'm hopeful Calderon's deal won't look that bad in two years.

for the trade to really have value, Early and Larkin have to pan out. I think Calderon can be all right but at his age he's year to year

RIP Crushalot😞
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/12/2014  1:30 AM
PASS. I think clearing out Tyson n Felton helped to freshen up the air. This team needed a change and those 2 players were the perfect start. This idea that somehow damage has been done due to Jose's contract is a bit overstated IMO. I also think Phil wanted to give it a go at the playoffs and not to simply fill spots with just anyone. Phil is particular in everything he does. Just looking at TC players Phil brought in you could tell he's going for a specific type of player.

I prefer this approach. I was very happy with the Early pick. I like the prospects of Wear. In the end I think they can be as productive as any other prospects we might have gotten.

knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
10/12/2014  4:03 AM
BRIGGS wrote:
knickscity wrote:I cant truly get into the "who'd I'd sign portion" of the post as thats beyond the teams control, but no doing the trade at all is an interesting topic.

The 3mm on we spent on Smith wouldve been 500k more split up before each player who both happen to have strong ties to the area--in short we wouldve easily gotten both Freddette and Adrien imho.

I dont see how it's "easily" gotten when there's no guarantee those guys would come.
BRIGGS
10/12/2014  9:44 AM
knickscity wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:

I dont see how it's "easily" gotten when there's no guarantee those guys would come.

You're right--nothing guaranteed--but I think solid chance would be in line. Lets just hope that Calderon stays healthy for the next 2 years atleast and Early develops into a nice back up

RIP Crushalot😞
RonRon
Member: #246
10/12/2014  7:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/12/2014  7:36 PM
Cuban messed up by trying to get back at Morey, letting personal interfare with his business and the salary they preserved in order to build a contender

Looking back at it, he gave Parsons that contract assuming that Morey will match, but overpay to keep him
He already had Lance Stephenson agreed to a deal that was a 2 year deal and player option for 3rd that payed Stephenson slightly more than what he is currently getting on the Bobcats
With Dirk taking such a big pay cut for the better of the team, they still would have been able to offer Ariza a similar contract to what he is getting now in Houston

They still would have had about 5m + to spend after that and could possibly keep some of the players that let go

Blair
Carter
Marion

They loss some solid veterans but gained some quality vet min and players on the cheap

Both these guards could penetrate, create, score/shoot, and are athletic/quick/strong, they could have been one of the top PG/SG combo's in the league together

Ellis 9m
Lance Stephenson 9m

Ariza 9m *playing a similar role to Marion with a better shot and more athleticism, great glue player with a G's that could penetrate and other shooters/defenders to compliment him*
Dirk 8m

Chandler 14m *after he expires, they could add another quality player or 2-3 B+ players next summer or resign him or Brandon Wright at a discount*

Bench
===========

Raymond Felton 4m

Gel Mekel
Ricky Ledo
Jae Crowder
Greg Smith
Brandan Wright 5m

Outside of Chandler, who would be setting the screens
The starting lineup could all shoot, are all athletic, could handle the ball, create for others, and could rebound + defend

BRIGGS
10/21/2014  12:09 AM
It was a bad star phuck to grab Calderon for 22.5mm then we are paying Larkin another 3.5mm for 2 years. We've allotted 9mm $ at PG for a 34/35 YO and a guy who is not built for this system. This first trade is just like all of our other GMs you get a shiny new toy--you need to play with it.
RIP Crushalot😞
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
10/21/2014  9:14 AM
I like the Calderon deal. I think moving Felton and Chandler was a must. Calderon will live up to his contract I think he is the prototypical triangle PG. I'm actually ok with his contract.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/21/2014  9:21 AM
No way Briggs. Felton will probably get off to a fast start this season, the Dallas fans will believe that they they robbed us. Then he will start to play poorly, start breaking down. Odds are that Tyson was going to give us another flu season had he stayed. Glad they're gone.
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/21/2014  9:47 AM
No roster shake up, NO melo
ES
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
10/21/2014  9:57 AM
GustavBahler wrote:No way Briggs. Felton will probably get off to a fast start this season, the Dallas fans will believe that they they robbed us. Then he will start to play poorly, start breaking down. Odds are that Tyson was going to give us another flu season had he stayed. Glad they're gone.

+1
If this season turns into a Felton watch, I'm going to blow this board up. Somehow. I'll find playa and beg him to come back as ... caligula2 or something.

Tyson will break something three weeks into the season, and Dirk will break down as well.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/21/2014  10:05 AM
Calderon may not be Chris Paul, but have we not seen enough of what happens when the team has no PG? This was a good move. You need a steady presense there and Calderon is a good floor general. He's a transition player for us and we arent asking him do anything out of his skill set.

You either go with fodder at PG, and complain about constant ISO play, broken plays and just bad offense. I guess fans forgot what it was like when Toney Douglas was running the ship and Mike Bibby seemed like a good option?

Its hard to evaluate your youngs in such a scramble.

Yes Calderon's contract is pricey but good PGs are.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BRIGGS
10/21/2014  10:22 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/21/2014  10:23 AM
knicks1248 wrote:No roster shake up, NO melo

If that is the case then we should've set a new course. This team looks discombobulated and it was peculiar to allocate over 9mm $ to PGs' for the next two years for players we really do not even want. I'd really like to say I see a plan here but I don't. I guess it was resign melo at any cost and piece meal it together under the guise that the triangle would ste the team apart. All the while the Spurs bring in 2-3 more players who all seem to fit and play well. Our rookies not so much. I thought it was weird that Quincy Acy had started 4 games--he was a player that came from a team that won 30 games and he was a bit player. We have some explosive scorers of which two are inconsistent and I dont even know their role. Will this team be better than one with a healthy Tyson and Felton---quick answer NO WAY. So we gave up SUBSTANTIAL cap space for nada.

RIP Crushalot😞
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
10/21/2014  10:36 AM
BRIGGS wrote:

If that is the case then we should've set a new course. This team looks discombobulated and it was peculiar to allocate over 9mm $ to PGs' for the next two years for players we really do not even want. I'd really like to say I see a plan here but I don't. I guess it was resign melo at any cost and piece meal it together under the guise that the triangle would ste the team apart. All the while the Spurs bring in 2-3 more players who all seem to fit and play well. Our rookies not so much. I thought it was weird that Quincy Acy had started 4 games--he was a player that came from a team that won 30 games and he was a bit player. We have some explosive scorers of which two are inconsistent and I dont even know their role. Will this team be better than one with a healthy Tyson and Felton---quick answer NO WAY. So we gave up SUBSTANTIAL cap space for nada.

You have to see real games. To make the call preseason in the NBA doesn't mean much. You have to see how the team develops chemistry under real game circumstances. Right now it's all a guessing game. I think starting Amare at Center was the idea all along hence the Chandler trade. The team needed a more steady PG and Calderon is steady. Calderon has trade value so that contract is manageable. I'm not to worried about his contract because you will have to pay someone eventually and you don't know if that guy will be the guy that you go forward with. I'll take my chances with Calderon in hopes that is the guy you go forward with. I want to see how this plays out in regular season.

knicks1248
Member: #582
10/21/2014  10:46 AM
BRIGGS wrote:

What I'm getting from your post is that, after a hand full of games, you can't figure out what the plan is and calderon doesn't look like a good fit. But the entire basketball nation thinks he's ideal for the system.

BRIGGS this entire process (roles, system, players feeling comfortable, rotation)is going to take a couple of months at best. I see us playing 500 ball until around December.

The idea that you prefer to keep Tyson(can't stay healthy)Chandler and Raymond(worse starting pg in the league) Felton is beyond ridiculous, and to top it off, your still talking about cap space, in where that will be some 75 to 80 mill in 2 yrs. How much is calderon's 7 mill salary really going to matter.

ES
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/21/2014  11:20 AM
Fisher even said they aren't even scouting teams yet. Thats why practice during the regular season is for. Right now they are just working on basic defensive fundamentals and the triangle. It's preseason everyone calm the F down
If I picked the offseason after thinking about it

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy