The official power ranking thread
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/1/2014  8:13 AM
Vol. 1

Stein basically is not "predicting" standings but rated them based on last seasons finish and off season moves.
Defending champs always get the top spot. he explains in his video.

I would not put any weight in this version but its a start.

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings

2014-15 Power Rankings: Training Camp
RANK
TEAM / RECORD
COMMENTS
San Antonio
62-20
Back-to-back titles are the only prize to elude the Spurs during these 18 magical seasons. Pop surely will downplay their repeat chances as loudly as anyone, but I'll go ahead and pass on writing 'em off after the whole title team came back and most of the splashy upgrades were made by teams in the East.
Cleveland
33-49
When several teams enjoy big summers and you are still the clear-cut champs of the offseason -- without having to surrender your East membership -- you tempt the committee (of one) to break its own rules and put LeBron's new (and old) club ahead of everyone. Even the defending champs.
Chicago
48-34
Has the conversation changed at last? Instead of all that fretting about Derrick Rose surviving his Team USA summer, Bulls fans have to be hopeful now about how much rust he's already chipped off. OK, OK: Maybe they don't have to be optimistic. But I'd argue that they should be.
Los Angeles
57-25
The Clippers obviously rank as another big offseason winner simply by finally swapping Donald Sterling for Steve Ballmer. Now we'll find out how much on-court inspiration the team can really draw from The Donald's departure ... and how patient Ballmer is if his team can't rise above No. 3 in the West.
Oklahoma City
59-23
The Thunder aren't known for fervent free-agent pitches, but they went hard after Pau Gasol. Have to confess we spent a fair bit of the summer imagining what Pau might have done for KD, Russ and Serge, even though they still sit on the short list of true title contenders if all three stay healthy.
Dallas
49-33
The Mavs had the splashiest summer of any team in the West thanks to the signing of Chandler Parsons and re-acquisition of Tyson Chandler. Yet those moves merely remind you how crazy deep the conference is, because Dallas can't be sure if it did enough to return to the top four.
Golden State
51-31
Steve Kerr will be the coach who takes Golden State to a third successive playoff berth for the first time since Al Attles way back in the mid-1970s. But that'll be the easy part for Kerr, whose crew might have a ceiling of fourth in the West even if everything goes right post-Mark Jackson.
Portland
54-28
Knowing LaMarcus Aldridge intends to re-sign in the summer for the long term has to give the Blazers great comfort. In the short term, though, great challenges await, given the questions that remain about the Blazers' bench and the stiff competition everywhere you look in the West.
Washington
44-38
I can already hear the various jittery Wiz fans I know cursing me for raising expectations. Sorry, guys. I happen to think Paul Pierce has a fair bit left -- and this group's young stars could certainly use the guidance -- and I rightfully expect more from Wall/Beal/Gortat/Nene.
Toronto
48-34
ESPN Forecast-ers had trouble choosing between the Raps and Wiz for No. 3 in the East. The Wiz get the slight edge here, but Toronto feels understandably good about its prospects after comfortably re-signing Kyle Lowry and seeing productive World Cup trips for DeMar DeRozan and Jonas Valanciunas.
Memphis
50-32
The Grizz joined the Heat/Spurs/Thunder/Clips on the short list of teams that won 50-plus games in each of the past two seasons. I suspect they'll get there again, with no lack of interest here with all those lefties they have, but I also see Marc Gasol's free agency encroaching upon on-court matters.
Houston
54-28
After its home-run acquisitions of Harden and Howard, Houston found out how painful swinging for the fences can be, losing Parsons, Asik and Lin in well-chronicled gambles. The pain, however, won't necessarily last long, thanks to the cap room looming for some more big swings come July.
Charlotte
43-39
They reacquired their treasured old nickname. They landed Lance Stephenson on a bargain deal after missing out on Gordon Hayward. And they even heard Steph Curry say he'll always keep the idea of a Charlotte homecoming in his thoughts somewhere. Quite a summer for the Hornets.
Phoenix
48-34
Before all of this week's biz, I feared Phoenix was due for a crash thanks to all of the uncertainty about its stars' future. Let's see if the late flourish to secure Eric Bledsoe -- plus Zoran Dragic to make brother Goran happy -- can preserve enough of last season's crucial harmony and chemistry.
Miami
54-28
It's a good thing that The Franchise That Lost LeBron still has Erik Spoelstra. Someone as sharp as Spo will be needed to try to make a team out of all those names (Bosh, Wade, Deng, McRoberts and Granger) that sound fairly imposing but don't necessarily snap together so ideally.
Atlanta
38-44
It would be so much better to be focused here on Al Horford's comeback. Or the fact that the Southeast Division is suddenly so wide open. Unfortunately that's not going to be possible with the Danny Ferry cloud and sale-related uncertainty hovering over the franchise. Not for a while.
New Orleans
34-48
Not quite ready to anoint the Pelicans as playoff material, even with a healthy Jrue Holiday and Ryan Anderson, but they'll be in the running for Best Team You'll Never See status. After nine ESPN games in 16 days with Team USA, Anthony Davis gets just two games total on ESPN and TNT this season.
New York
37-45
Melo wouldn't dare sign for $120-plus million and miss the playoffs again, would he? Last season was his first ever out of the playoffs and, like it or not, he's undoubtedly at risk for two in a row while he and rookie coach Derek Fisher wait for Phil Jackson's first cap-space summer in July 2015.
Brooklyn
44-38
In Year 5 of the Mikhail Prokhorov regime, which he openly hoped would deliver a championship in five years or less, Brooklyn just wants to hang on as a playoff team until it has cap space to play with in 2016. 'Til then? Everything hinges on big comebacks by Brook Lopez and Deron Williams.
Indiana
56-26
The proud Pacers will try to make the playoffs even after letting Lance Stephenson go and then losing Paul George in the most stomach-turning manner. Of course, since Indy resides in the East, it's not like there's a wide variety of options. You can only sink so far in that conference.
Denver
36-46
One of the bigger surprises to me, from a summer spent with Team USA, was hearing Kenneth Faried say he didn't think his voice carried as much weight with the Nuggets as it did under Coach K. Have to believe that'll change now even with Gallinari, JaVale and Arron Afflalo all back.
Detroit
29-53
Early reviews of Stan Van Gundy's front-office work have been mixed after Detroit's big-money splash on Jodie Meeks and the Greg Monroe saga. There's no doubt, though, that the man can coach. So you bet on SVG to make a flawed roster look less flawed once the games start.
Los Angeles
27-55
Laker Haters are advised to enjoy this season, because there's every chance they'll reload in free agency sooner rather than later. In the interim, whatever the results, I plan to be mesmerized by what happens when you add Boozer, J-Lin, Ed Davis and Julius Randle to Swaggy P, Nash and a comebacking Kobe.
Minnesota
40-42
The Wolves have much more to work with post-Kevin Love than they did post-KG. But you still figure that the only two active players left from Minnesota's last playoff game -- Kobe and KG himself on (gulp) May 31, 2004 ⬠are bound to be retired by the time Andrew Wiggins has 'em back in the postseason.
Sacramento
28-54
We have 25 more weeks of rankings to nitpick the progress (or lack thereof) Sacramento is making toward halting an eight-season playoff drought. One more hat-tip for Boogie Cousins seems more appropriate today, after that Team USA title game showed what sort of force he can be.
Boston
25-57
Will they? Or won't they? Are they keeping Rajon Rondo? Or trading him? One certainty amid all the questions: Danny Ainge's Celts will be newsy all season, no matter how ragged they get on the floor, given all the assets besides Rondo they're stockpiling for their next KG-style blockbuster.
Milwaukee
15-67
This time a year ago, so many pundits wondered how Jason Kidd would fare coaching a win-now team filled with thirtysomethings. This committee, by contrast, is struggling far more trying to picture how he holds up nursing Jabari, Giannis & Co. through the inevitable growing pains.
Orlando
23-59
The new season starts with the same question asked here in April: Don't the Magic, for all their youth, have to make some sort of step in 2014-15? The vet additions of note were modest -- Channing Frye, Ben Gordon, Luke Ridnour -- but it can't be easy selling another win total in the 20s.
Utah
25-57
Don't know if Trey Burke and Dante Exum can play together. Don't know if Gordon Hayward will have any more help offensively than he did last season. All we know for sure about this Jazz in this embryonic state: Quin Snyder is Coach K's first former player to become an NBA head coach.
Philadelphia
19-63
If you've ever wondered how much angry noise would have greeted the 9-73 Sixers of 1972-73 had they been playing in the Twitter age, you need only follow the 2014-15 Sixers. They're bound to be blasted even louder than last season as they openly chase the No. 1 overall pick again.
Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
10/1/2014  11:01 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/1/2014  11:01 AM
I don't get why the Heat seem to be expected to have a good record- They have Bosh, declining Wade and Deng (who I like, but who seemed to have no impact on the Cavs last year). They lost a lot of 3 point shooting, and their centre spot is a mess. Do they honestly have a better roster than us? And Granger is "imposing"?!?! The man is done!
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
10/1/2014  11:15 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/1/2014  12:39 PM
We're ranked ahead of Indy AND the Nuggs ?

Woe to the person putting weight in this version, indeed.

smackeddog
10/1/2014  11:20 AM
jrodmc wrote:We're ranked ahead of Indy AND the Nuggs?

Woe to the person putting weight in this version, ideed.

You think Indy are going to do well this year? No PG or Lance? The ghost of Hibbert? What do you see in them?

Nalod
USA
10/1/2014  12:03 PM
Its all based on last season and on paper.

They added:Reggie Williams, Shawne Williams, Josh McRoberts, Danny Granger, and Shannon Brown. However, no one is going to argue that their biggest signing was that of Luol Deng. They drafted Shabazz Napier.

If healthy they are a playoff team.

"IF".

Same for us if Amare and Bargnani!

Same for Nets if Deron and Lopez are back 100%

Wiz if Pierce can blend in with young core.

Cleveland on Paper is NASTY. Paper don't play. Ball don't lie.

He explained he thinks THunder are better than Clippers but Clippers had a better off season.

F500ONE
Member: #5844

10/1/2014  12:20 PM
Not bad, hopefully we don't let ESPN down

Maybe we'll finish higher at season's end

I have us 21ish not far off from this breakdown

Stein fluctuates with his PRs, no biggie here

Next week we could move up a couple spots

Or down simply because he's bored and gets paid to do this

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/1/2014  12:30 PM
I think Orlando will end up doing better than expected.
jrodmc
USA
10/1/2014  12:44 PM
smackeddog wrote:
jrodmc wrote:We're ranked ahead of Indy AND the Nuggs ?

You think Indy are going to do well this year? No PG or Lance? The ghost of Hibbert? What do you see in them?

Fixed.

Indy made the playoffs. PG was getting booed last year. Hibbert was benched at times. They still have the slightly tarnished genius coach Vogel.
Nuggs are in the West, which normally automatically makes them better than us, no matter what.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm actually surprised and happy with this. Although coming from ESPN, it could possibly be the kiss of death.

Nalod
USA
10/1/2014  1:05 PM
jrodmc wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Fixed.

Indy made the playoffs. PG was getting booed last year. Hibbert was benched at times. They still have the slightly tarnished genius coach Vogel.
Nuggs are in the West, which normally automatically makes them better than us, no matter what.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm actually surprised and happy with this. Although coming from ESPN, it could possibly be the kiss of death.

Gallo, Shy Wilson and Mazgov all are back!!! Time to sharpen your Mooby love.

F500ONE
Member: #5844

10/1/2014  1:16 PM
GustavBahler wrote:I think Orlando will end up doing better than expected.

Yes as will other bottom feeding teams

From last season, throw in the Bucks too

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/1/2014  2:24 PM
18 is fair based off last year. I do think people in general are underestimating Phil, Fish and his staff. They're going to have a major impact on this team. When a team is well coached you can see it and last year this team was poorly coached. I don't expect that to happen this year. Totally basing a prediction on past behavior can be problematic. Things change.
jrodmc
USA
10/1/2014  3:08 PM
Nalod wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Fixed.

You just keep lighting candles and beheading chickens for Bropez's feets.

smackeddog
10/1/2014  3:10 PM
nixluva wrote:18 is fair based off last year. I do think people in general are underestimating Phil, Fish and his staff. They're going to have a major impact on this team. When a team is well coached you can see it and last year this team was poorly coached. I don't expect that to happen this year. Totally basing a prediction on past behavior can be problematic. Things change.

Yep, every year there are surprises- last year few saw the Hawks, Wizards, Griz, Mavs, Suns and raptors doing as well as they did. All the media thought the Nets were championship contenders last season (for a change I was right in saying that was wishful thinking!)

Nalod
USA
10/1/2014  4:24 PM
jrodmc wrote:
Nalod wrote:
jrodmc wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Fixed.

You just keep lighting candles and beheading chickens for Bropez's feets.

We up to our knees for him and Deron!!!
Stat has the feet nailed to his front door.
Melo took a special trip to the former "east German" blood bank.

GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

10/1/2014  5:30 PM
F500ONE wrote:

Agree about the Bucks, looking forward to seeing what Jabari Parker can do. We'll see how they respond to Kidd. Also curious to see how other coaches treat Kidd considering how he got the job, not that Drew didn't deserve some payback, he did something similar to Woodson behind his back in ATL. Kharma.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
10/1/2014  9:42 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
F500ONE wrote:

Agree about the Bucks, looking forward to seeing what Jabari Parker can do. We'll see how they respond to Kidd. Also curious to see how other coaches treat Kidd considering how he got the job, not that Drew didn't deserve some payback, he did something similar to Woodson behind his back in ATL. Kharma.

Agree on all points about Kidd. I was a bit surprised to see Joe Johnson snickering about Kidd's practices. I think Fisher is in a much better situation with the supports put in place by Phil.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/1/2014  9:51 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/1/2014  9:52 PM
smackeddog wrote:I don't get why the Heat seem to be expected to have a good record- They have Bosh, declining Wade and Deng (who I like, but who seemed to have no impact on the Cavs last year). They lost a lot of 3 point shooting, and their centre spot is a mess. Do they honestly have a better roster than us? And Granger is "imposing"?!?! The man is done!

Good coaching, defense and veteran leadership. 5 rings between wade and bosh

smackeddog
10/2/2014  3:42 PM    LAST EDITED: 10/2/2014  3:43 PM
gunsnewing wrote:
smackeddog wrote:I don't get why the Heat seem to be expected to have a good record- They have Bosh, declining Wade and Deng (who I like, but who seemed to have no impact on the Cavs last year). They lost a lot of 3 point shooting, and their centre spot is a mess. Do they honestly have a better roster than us? And Granger is "imposing"?!?! The man is done!

Good coaching, defense and veteran leadership. 5 rings between wade and bosh

4 of which were thanks to Lebron, 1 was curtesy of Shaq

The official power ranking thread

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy