[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

training camp preview thread 2014
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/27/2014  7:25 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/27/2014  8:08 AM
No article.... whatever is said here is better than anything anybody else is writing.

Bargnani
Melo
Amare
Calderón
smith

very slick offensive team with horrible defense potential. Still might be our best 5. Do we stick Bargs into the Robert Horry role off the bench? Start Amare and Dalembert?

I believe we have to start Smith at the 2. He's our best overall shooting guard and we can't start games in the hole anymore. Calderon is our best pg. Amare needs to start & play starters minutes or die (metaphorically speaking). Melo is king and that leaves the rest....

anybody believe in what Acy can bring?

Just chime in

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
9/27/2014  7:50 AM
I am really excited about Acy. I hope he makes it into the rotation. I think you are right about Smith at the two. I am not sure if both Amare and Bargs start. Its a bit interesting that Phil mentioned Melo as being a power forward option. I think both Jason Smith and Dalembert get at least 22 minutes a night. I am not sure if those are off the bench minutes or starter minutes. I also am wondering how much Early plays. I think the Knicks might see Outlaw as the back up for Melo.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
smackeddog
Member: #883
9/27/2014  11:21 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/27/2014  11:22 AM
I wonder if our offense will be better this season- we all think of last year as being horrific to watch, and with an abysmal offense, but weirdly our offense was ranked okay (something like top 12)- I still don't understand how!

Defense really, really worries me, as does our front court. I like having Calderon, Prigs and Larkin at PG, and I like having Shump, Tim Jr and JR at SG- it gives us lots of options. Not sure what the PF & C rotations will be, but again there's options.

CrushAlot
USA
9/27/2014  11:44 AM
smackeddog wrote:I wonder if our offense will be better this season- we all think of last year as being horrific to watch, and with an abysmal offense, but weirdly our offense was ranked okay (something like top 12)- I still don't understand how!

Defense really, really worries me, as does our front court. I like having Calderon, Prigs and Larkin at PG, and I like having Shump, Tim Jr and JR at SG- it gives us lots of options. Not sure what the PF & C rotations will be, but again there's options.

Aldrich, Smith, Dalembert and Acy have some bump and thump to their game. Not sure how the minutes get doled out but the Knicks have the potential to have a physical presence at the 4/5.
RonRon
Member: #246
9/27/2014  12:13 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/27/2014  12:15 PM
CrushAlot wrote:I am really excited about Acy. I hope he makes it into the rotation. I think you are right about Smith at the two. I am not sure if both Amare and Bargs start. Its a bit interesting that Phil mentioned Melo as being a power forward option. I think both Jason Smith and Dalembert get at least 22 minutes a night. I am not sure if those are off the bench minutes or starter minutes. I also am wondering how much Early plays. I think the Knicks might see Outlaw as the back up for Melo.

+100000000 great post and totally agree

I really feel he can break out and be the steal trade, playing a role similar to Kmart with his combination of mobility/athleticism/ and most importantly ENERGY/HUSTLE having a multiple effect/affect
We have played the best the past couple of years with Kmart in any starting lineup and finishing lineup for most games, because he fits in with CA and one of our weak links in AB/STAT, he is undersized but the mobility/athleticism/speed allows him to help and recover on DEF, on OFF, he could roll to the basket with 4 other scorers to spread the floor if the DEF cheats, not allowing them to recover in time
a poor man's Faried/Rodman/Kmart/Reggie Evans, he has been a very good rebounder through out his short career and could really be the glue man
He could be used to initiate our FAST BREAK and or finish the fast break before our opponents DEF can recover, and give us easy baskets, especially with CA/JR Smith to get them going with the rest of the team to build the confidence

As, part of the winning culture, we need to reward players that play 100% with energy/effort/DEF and he can provide that

CrushAlot
USA
9/27/2014  1:25 PM
RonRon, agree about Acy. I am really hoping he becomes some combination of Faried/KMart. And I agree Melo and KMart play great together. Not sure if Acy is the passer KMart is but he brings a lot.
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

9/27/2014  1:51 PM
As much as Phil talk about his philosphy of having players play on both ends I doubt Bargs and Amare see much time together.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/27/2014  3:07 PM
I think we'll end up starting Dalembert regardless of who ends up starting at four. We're going to need the rim protection to make up for our defense at 4 and 1. We could start Jason Smith at four, but that would still leave us weak on the boards. I have no idea who our starting guard will be. We need to handcuff Calderon to Shump for defensive purposes, but most of our lineup won't be good enough to take on Shump's scoring output from last year.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
CrushAlot
USA
9/27/2014  3:22 PM
Acy has freakish measurements. Just looking them up and he measures out more like rodman then faried. Also has huge mitts.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

9/27/2014  4:32 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Acy has freakish measurements. Just looking them up and he measures out more like rodman then faried. Also has huge mitts.

It's easy to forget about Acy. It will be hard to keep him out the lineup if he regains his midrange J. I like the idea of a small ball lineup featuring him, Cole/Bargs at center, JR, THJ and Larkin/Pablo. I would only break that out against the opposing teams second line tho.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

9/27/2014  4:39 PM
I still think they see something and Cole and thats why they shut him down early in SL. I could see them saying something like we need to sit and sign big country before he gets away."
WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

9/27/2014  5:01 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:Acy has freakish measurements. Just looking them up and he measures out more like rodman then faried. Also has huge mitts.

It's easy to forget about Acy. It will be hard to keep him out the lineup if he regains his midrange J. I like the idea of a small ball lineup featuring him, Cole/Bargs at center, JR, THJ and Larkin/Pablo. I would only break that out against the opposing teams second line tho.

I recall a Summer League article about him working on the midrange shot and having some success with it. His success with the shot and whether or not he knows what to do with the ball will when he has it, will determine whether he gets 5-15 minutes of "change of pace tough guy time," or 15-25 minutes of "you're in the rotation no matter what the situation time."

I always root for Acy type players and hope that they show the skill and consistency to get real minutes at important times in the game.

Hopefully he works out.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/27/2014  11:11 PM
I like Acy but wonder how this rotation shakes out.

One thing about Bargs was that he was actually better at Center than some give him credit for. We won some tough games with Bargs at C. Don't know what that means now with this system and roster. I've read some articles joking about Fish being high on Bargs but those writers haven't seen Bargs in this system and I'm sure Fish has been getting reports from the scrimmages the players have been having on their own. Phil has some role in mind.

I really wonder whether Outlaw will be able to hold off Early in making the rotation. IMO the talent gap is considerable. Early May be green but I just can't imagine Outlaw outplaying him. I could be wrong but it's just the feeling I get having see both players. Early is quicker and more explosive on the break. I actually think Early is a better shooter and defender too.

knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
9/28/2014  9:47 AM
Acy just from his intangibles alone should be a rotation player. He'll make great use out of 15 minutes of action. if his jumper truly is improved which he's been working on for a couple of seasons now, then Fisher probably can squeeze a few more minutes out for him.

Fisher in his last presser was stressing defense over everything. He didnt use the thinking this team is an offensive team as a weak way out of playing defense, I do think he expects this team to defend. And the ones who hold that goal back likely will be playing less and quite possibly not at all.

I really dont take anything out of last season and Fisher wasnt here for that, so he isnt either. It's not even in the rear view mirror. The things that looked ok for stretches isnt a mold to use at all, Fisher is looking for consistent effort in a major area....something nobody did last year in any form or fashion.

By making it clear every spot is open, the guys who REALLY want to be a part of the present and future will provide that defensive interest primarily while grasping the concepts of what the triangle entails.

With that said, as a betting man, my starters to play with Melo would be....

Calderon at point. Cant tuly see anyone overtaking that, although I do think Larkin will get some quality minutes and will show quite a bit in training camp....but it's not his time yet. Calderon just is the best option at the moment in a diluted pool.

Shumpert at shooting guard imo is the only guard that makes sense if the focus is defense. The key to a good team defense is to actually have one or two guys who can individually go out and do it and know that their job. Nobody provides that better, even though Shump defense has dwindled some, he's still miles ahead of TH and just more consistent than JR could ever be. Shumpert rebounding is solid as a guard, and moving the ball shouldnt be an issue for him as he isnt a stagnant player and prefers to move without it. And of course his on the ball defense should help to ignite the offense and helps with the opponents forays in the paint.

The forward to play alongside Melo really depends on where Fisher visions the triangle to go and I truly cant really lock in one guy I think will egt it. My pick for convo purposes is Amare as he has shown throuout his career he can pick up concepts pretty quick. Also nobody has a better jumper than his and proper usage of his post moves can be a huge asset in the offense. He enjoys being the roll man so moving without the ball shouldnt be a daunting task. Defensively Amare needs to remain active primarily and provide help support something he should be able to handle somewhat. His rebounding is adequate enough for the position. The key for him is obviously going to be his health, which I'm sure Fisher will be keeping close eyes on. Kinda crazy how all of the current 4 men are all somewhat injury prone. The good thing about the 4 position though is that since there is a glut there no one should have a worry of being overworked.

The center position will be imo the most competitive especially from a defensive standpoint. My bet is that Fisher will employ a "center by committee" type of minutes alotment there, and the guys who make the most use of their minutes will be continued to be called upon. Offense wont necessarily be needed in this position, just guys capable of scoring, an ability to pass and rebound and provide some presence down in the paint. I dont think this psotion will have a fulltime starter as over the course of the season between Dally, J-Smith, Bargs, and Cole through rest days and likely injuries everyone will egt their shot name called. The best fit though is Dally as he has shown to be an adequate center on both sides of the ball in a "tone setter" type role.

So there it is. Calderon-Shumpert-Melo-Amare-Dally as my picks for starters. Adequate offense, with a blend of self motivated defense.

smackeddog
Member: #883
9/28/2014  11:05 AM
nixluva wrote:I like Acy but wonder how this rotation shakes out.

One thing about Bargs was that he was actually better at Center than some give him credit for. We won some tough games with Bargs at C. Don't know what that means now with this system and roster. I've read some articles joking about Fish being high on Bargs but those writers haven't seen Bargs in this system and I'm sure Fish has been getting reports from the scrimmages the players have been having on their own. Phil has some role in mind.

I really wonder whether Outlaw will be able to hold off Early in making the rotation. IMO the talent gap is considerable. Early May be green but I just can't imagine Outlaw outplaying him. I could be wrong but it's just the feeling I get having see both players. Early is quicker and more explosive on the break. I actually think Early is a better shooter and defender too.

I've forgotten everything about Bargs performance last season, other than the Bucks game and the play he injured himself on! But now you mention it, I do seem to remember that he was better at centre than he was at PF. The problem is Bargs is a bit of a no-trick pony- he doesn't do anything well enough to cancel out his negatives- I'd rather play Jason Smith (better defender and shooter), Acy (hustle, rebounding, shooting, passion), Amar'e (scoring and a better rebounder), Dalambert (rebounds, blocks shots). All those players can give you more than Bargs- at this point, aside for his salary, I don't get why Bargs would get minutes over any of those guys.

NYStateOfMind
Member: #5741
USA
9/28/2014  12:08 PM
Melo, JR, Amare, Calderon most likely start, the 5th spot is open to the preseason winner.

Dally, Smith fighting for that 5th starting spot.

THJr, Bargs, Prigs, Early, Shump, Acy are most likely bench.

Larkin, Cole, Outlaw are bench fodder, play in trash time blow outs.

No current room for any pre-season invites.

nixluva
USA
9/29/2014  1:22 AM
smackeddog wrote:
nixluva wrote:I like Acy but wonder how this rotation shakes out.

I've forgotten everything about Bargs performance last season, other than the Bucks game and the play he injured himself on! But now you mention it, I do seem to remember that he was better at centre than he was at PF. The problem is Bargs is a bit of a no-trick pony- he doesn't do anything well enough to cancel out his negatives- I'd rather play Jason Smith (better defender and shooter), Acy (hustle, rebounding, shooting, passion), Amar'e (scoring and a better rebounder), Dalambert (rebounds, blocks shots). All those players can give you more than Bargs- at this point, aside for his salary, I don't get why Bargs would get minutes over any of those guys.

As much as Bargs gets criticized and most of it is much deserved, he does have some qualities that could be exploited by the right coach and with the right usage. When he was defending all those top C's last year he was doing to them things that others on this list you have could only hope to do. Bargs has been a very good man defender for years but really hasn't been utilized as a stopper against C's given his ability to frustrate those guys. He has the potential for games like this:

He's recently been in the top 15% of NBA players in isolation defense. When guarding big men shooting jumpers, Bargnani holds them to 30% shooting

I loved this performance:

We know he had some awful games, but he also had some really good games and when he wasn't ignored in the offense he was really good. A lot gets said, but I think he can be a very worthwhile part of this rotation if used properly and coached up.

Andrea Bargnani produced 25 points Friday night, his finest performance by far in his short Knicks career, in a 101-91 win over the Bobcats in Charlotte, N.C., but coach Mike Woodson was more impressed by the 7-footer’s effort on the defensive end, in his first start at center.
“Offensively, he might not be there every night, but I thought he did a lot of things from a defensive standpoint that was really good for our team,” Woodson said, cracking a rare smile. “I was pretty pleased with his play.”
Bargnani, a former No. 1 overall pick, was more aggressive at both ends of the floor filling in for injured center Tyson Chandler. He took a team-high 25 shots and made 11 of them, he blocked five shots, grabbed eight rebounds and dished out three assists.
“The team and the coaches are helping me since Day 1 to adjust to the new team and the new system so I try to help them to play my normal game, be aggressive, shoot when I’m open,” Bargnani said.
Bargnani certainly impressed J.R. Smith, who makes his return to the court Sunday against the Spurs after serving a five-game suspension for violating terms of the NBA’s anti-drug policy.
“I think [Bargnani] played unbelievable [Friday], especially from a defensive standpoint,” Smith said. “Everybody harps on he’s not a defensive player, he can’t do this, he can’t do that. I think he played great [Friday] and we’ve got to keep expecting big things from him.”

I really like what we might get from Jason Smith. I'm not that high on Dalembert. He's OK, but really I think they should keep Dalembert's minutes down and give other bigs on the team a chance. Aldrich may have more potential than Dalembert could give us.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/29/2014  7:02 AM
The biggest cliché is for the team to buy in. The rookies and summer league junkies did in just a few weeks work great results. I'm hoping the vets well come in, egos aside and run the system and let the coaches do their jobs. We have some good players that can contribute. There's so many ways we can approach this from the team stand point. Any and every guy in the roster had potentials as a rotation player.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nixluva
USA
9/29/2014  11:53 AM
EnySpree wrote:The biggest cliché is for the team to buy in. The rookies and summer league junkies did in just a few weeks work great results. I'm hoping the vets well come in, egos aside and run the system and let the coaches do their jobs. We have some good players that can contribute. There's so many ways we can approach this from the team stand point. Any and every guy in the roster had potentials as a rotation player.

The toughest thing is for the players to get comfortable with the system to make it 2nd nature. At 1st they will probably have a few issues with not remembering the rules of the system which is very important. They may have some issues with remembering the spacing and to reform a new Triangle when the ball swings and the defense shuts down one side. The truth is tho that this isn't really that difficult. They teach this system to kids! I think the players will love this system in time cuz there aren't really set plays as much as it's a system that is free flowing. Players will all be involved and there will be less standing around. All players will be fully engaged with the action and that can keep players from getting mentally lazy.

Another thing that was probably an issue in the past was the kind of apathy that can set in when you come to camp and it's the same old, same old. This year it's ALL NEW. There isn't anything that will feel the same from the camp location to the coaches and system. It's got to feel 100% fresh to these players. I'm guessing that will help them be much more focused. Not to mention seeing Phil around watching.

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/29/2014  12:21 PM
I just still don't know how you get DFish's "success will be keyed by defense" and "Bargs/Stat starting" in the same thought about reality.
training camp preview thread 2014

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy