Dampier is the coup
Author Thread
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
5/31/2004  3:03 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

hes not better than big Z and my bet is eddie curry will be the best C this year in the east. but dampier would easily be top 4

Oops forgot about big Z. Anyway Dampier would still make this Knicks team a lot better. If we keep KT (which I don't mind doing unless we can get someone better) then we would have a nice defensive lineup.

Dampier
K. Thomas
T. Thomas
H20
Marbury
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/31/2004  4:40 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

hes not better than big Z and my bet is eddie curry will be the best C this year in the east. but dampier would easily be top 4
He's ten times the defensive player big Z is
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/31/2004  5:22 PM
no he's not. Team stats, individual stats and just watching both dont lay any foundation that Dampier is a better defensive player-- they're both slow to the ball and big z is atleast 4 inches taller than Dampier. Dampier is a better rebounder while Big Z has offensive skills that Dampier only wishes he had. Again it's a BIG if if we actually get the player--he would be a great grab for nothing and a top 4 c, but hes not a special player. he just happens to be in the right place at the right time in the NBA--he's nothing compared to a real good C, there just happens to be a small suplly right now.
RIP Crushalot😞
simrud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #474
USA
5/31/2004  7:28 PM
Bit Z is pretty bad himself. If he was a good center there is no way the Cavs would not make the playoffs in the East. Dampier just might be better from a team standpoint of view as he plays much much better defense simply because he is much more mobile. Put together, the +/- ratios of offene and defense of the two guys just might show that Dampier is better. That's pretty sad though. Whatever happened to all the great centers of the past. Can you beleave that at one time, Ewing, Olajuwon, Robinson, Shaq, Divac, Rick Smith, just of the top of my head, all played at the same time. Now you have Shaq, Yao, and Duncan at C, and Duncan doesnt even play C. The rest of the guys would not even start back in the old days. The likes of Dampier, Big Z and the rest of them would be carrier backups. The NBA def got worse.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Bonn1997
USA
5/31/2004  7:48 PM
Put together, the +/- ratios of offene and defense of the two guys just might show that Dampier is better.

They do; it's because Big Z is too slow. Dampier does a better job guarding centers in the west than Big Z does in the east.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
5/31/2004  7:56 PM
Dampier is no bum, but he has been a very lazy player in the past and only really came close to living up to his potential this past season, his contract year. He still hasn't fully developed on offense. Still, the man did some work on the defense and rebounding side and would make us a 100% in that department if he came here. He's not without risk, but in our position, we can only make risky moves.
Bonn1997
USA
5/31/2004  8:11 PM
Posted by VDesai:

Dampier is no bum, but he has been a very lazy player in the past and only really came close to living up to his potential this past season, his contract year. He still hasn't fully developed on offense. Still, the man did some work on the defense and rebounding side and would make us a 100% in that department if he came here. He's not without risk, but in our position, we can only make risky moves.

Maybe he needs to be in a winning environment. I think the decision he makes this offseason will be very revealing. If he takes a substantial paycut (like an MLE contract) just to be in a winning situation, then it's a sign that the change in his attitude last season was not simply to get a big contract. (It wouldn't make sense to say he played well only because it was his contract year if he then decided to take a paycut.)
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/31/2004  10:15 PM
Posted by simrud:

A bum who is better then 2/3 of the centers in the NBA. Man, you don't know that much about bball do you? You watched this guy right? So what exactly did you expected to see? A Shaq like dominance? Are you out of your mind? They guy gets 12 12 and 2+ blocks, what more do you want? That's about as good as it gets at C this side of Shaq. Both Wallace and O'Neal play PF. Foster and Ben Wallace play center. On the pistons Sheed never ever plays center. Okur, even Cambell play at the 5 ahead of him. Hell, they put the big nasty at the 5 before Wallace, as they usually slide him down to the 3. Learn somethign about bball before posting garbage. Like BRIGGS said, gettin Dampier for nothing is a steal that makes us one of the best ind East right away.

Listen man, I forgot more basketball than you will ever know. I watched a dozen warriors games on satellite this year, they guy is nothing special, if he is that good then why are the warriors such a mediocre team, I mean it is not like they don't have talent on that team, the reason is because Dampier is not a difference maker. Watch the games and stop quoting facts, the guy has done nothing of significance over the past 4 years!!!
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
tkf
5/31/2004  10:19 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Get your facts straight TKF. Those two play primarily PF. Rasheed does the openning tip for the Pistons and primarily guards centers with Ben only getting a few minutes at center. The Pacers use Foster or Croshere at center with O'Neal only occasionally getting a few minutes there.

Damps would still be the best center in the east, although he isn't as good as the two power forwards that you listed.

So what would being the best center in the east get you? huh? I mean if you take Duncan and GArnett out of the center spot since they are listed as PF's Dampier would be the 3rd best center in the west right? Well where did that get the warriors? Dampier being the best center in the east where you are admitting there are no real centers is no big feat!!! And I tell you this, Eddy Curry, Big Z and Rasheed if you consider him a center are Better...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
tkf
5/31/2004  10:25 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

exactly, that is exactly right, and the question remains, what is the big deal about DAmpier...?
tkf
5/31/2004  10:29 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

no he's not. Team stats, individual stats and just watching both dont lay any foundation that Dampier is a better defensive player-- they're both slow to the ball and big z is atleast 4 inches taller than Dampier. Dampier is a better rebounder while Big Z has offensive skills that Dampier only wishes he had. Again it's a BIG if if we actually get the player--he would be a great grab for nothing and a top 4 c, but hes not a special player. he just happens to be in the right place at the right time in the NBA--he's nothing compared to a real good C, there just happens to be a small suplly right now.
excellent post Briggs, Centers are at a premium in the league, Dampier is nothing special, he just plays a position that is in demand now and he doesn't play it spectacularly as most in here will try and make you believe.... Big Z is a offensive monster compared to Dampier and Z is not that less of a rebounder either... Dampier is nothing special at all!!!
Bonn1997
USA
5/31/2004  10:38 PM
Posted by simrud:

Bit Z is pretty bad himself. If he was a good center there is no way the Cavs would not make the playoffs in the East. Dampier just might be better from a team standpoint of view as he plays much much better defense simply because he is much more mobile. Put together, the +/- ratios of offene and defense of the two guys just might show that Dampier is better.

Excellent post Sim. Damps is a better defender. (You're right the +/-#s don't lie.) And 12 PPG in the west on 54% shooting is pretty good for someone who would be your fourth scoring option. Illgauskas simply takes more shots and converts a lower percentage

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/31/2004 22:39:42]
NYKfan1
Member: #679
USA
6/1/2004  6:07 PM
Big Z is no where near the rebounder Dampier is. check your stats Z avg. around 8 rpg in the sorry east when Damp grabbed 12 rpg in the west. And if ur gonna say damp is overrated cause hes lazy, then u can never say curry is better. Dampier is a great fit 4 ny and i agree with Bonn1997 that if he takes a paycut u can't say he was playin 4 a contract.
Rich
Member: #511
USA
6/1/2004  11:33 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

I still dont believe in the end that a player will take significantly less, but getting Dampier without giving up anything will make the Knicks a true player in the east as long as they solidify 2G and back up 3 and 1. Dampier is still 6-11 275 and in the east there arent many players who can match him. He wont last a full 6 years, but since they got marbury who will be 28 during the season next year--they need to put this together and move up the playoff ladder now. Its a 2-3 year process if you assemble the right pieces, but I dont condier this year 1 because we were not .500 and we didnt win 1 playoff game. Getting to the playoffs under .500 is not accomplishment. They need to solidify the players they will ultimatley run with for a few years by the end of next year and stay pat.

His injury problems concern me, but given the realistic options, I totally agree.
Bonn1997
USA
6/2/2004  8:58 PM
injury problems concern me
the last 3 years, he's played 73, 82, and 74 games
Rich
Member: #511
USA
6/3/2004  4:11 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
injury problems concern me
the last 3 years, he's played 73, 82, and 74 games

Then they concern me less. ;-)
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/3/2004  8:41 AM
dampier played solidly last year. was it an abberation? i don't know but even if we don't get him, we'll be ok.

returning with the EXACT same roster, with a healthy h20 and tim will make us a 45 win team AT THE MINIMUM. if we make one or two SMALL free agent acquisitions (like re-signing doleac or getting in the draft), then we may even push 48-50. so even if isiah doesn't do anything this offseason, we still have until the break to move $10 mil worth of salaries (deke, othella, cezary).
NYKfan1
Member: #679
USA
6/3/2004  9:09 AM
ya, all good points djsunyc. i wouldn't be upset at all if isiah went in that direction.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
6/3/2004  10:26 AM
It would be absurd to return with the same roster that we had last season. Anderson, Harrington, and Kurt have to go. Those three are liabilities that we definitely don't need. It is behooved the Knicks front office to do their utmost and find replacements for those three names

Kurt and Anderson to Chicago for JYD and Robinson, could be a much more potent.

JYD can be the spark off the bench that we so desperately need, while Sweet could be instated in the starting lineup

Robinson can be the bench addition that we needed Anderson to be.

At this point, anything is better than Kurt and Anderson.
The true Knickabocker..........
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/3/2004  11:00 AM
Posted by diderotn:

It would be absurd to return with the same roster that we had last season. Anderson, Harrington, and Kurt have to go. Those three are liabilities that we definitely don't need. It is behooved the Knicks front office to do their utmost and find replacements for those three names

Kurt and Anderson to Chicago for JYD and Robinson, could be a much more potent.

JYD can be the spark off the bench that we so desperately need, while Sweet could be instated in the starting lineup

Robinson can be the bench addition that we needed Anderson to be.

At this point, anything is better than Kurt and Anderson.

ok, but what does jyd bring that's significantly better than KT? at least kurt can score some points and can backup C, and if sweets is ready to start, then he will. so we'll bring KT off the bench.

secondly, what about dermarr. what if we insert dermarr into shandon's role, then why do we need erob. if he's scrubbing it up on a chicago bulls team that's perpetually 50 games under .500, what could he possibly do for us?

i'm not against getting a role player off the bench. i'm just saying that moving kurt in a deal for toine or reef is HIGHLY UNLIKELY especially since they both have expiring deals and could net a better player. so instead of giving up other chips, our starting 5 isn't that bad and won't be significantly better with toine or reef.

dealing kurt, deke, and othella for reef or toine is a no-brainer, of course you do it but that deal would only be made by two scott laydens.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 06/03/2004 11:02:00]
Dampier is the coup

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy