Tyson Chandler fires back at Knicks

Updated: September 19, 2014, 6:21 PM ET

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

Comments

(48)

Email

Print

Insider

DALLAS -- Months later, Dallas Mavericks center Tyson Chandler is still mad about insinuations that he caused chemistry issues for the New York Knicks last season.

Knicks president Phil Jackson cited the desire to "change some of the chemistry" of the team as one of the reasons he sent Chandler and point guard Raymond Felton to Dallas in the late-June deal.

[+] EnlargeTyson Chandler

Matthew Emmons/USA TODAY Sports
The Mavericks' Tyson Chandler called allegations that he disrupted chemistry in the Knicks' locker room last season "a shock."

Chandler has been portrayed in several media reports since then as a player who caused internal problems for the Knicks last season, much to his chagrin.

"I did nothing but try to help the culture there the three years I was there," Chandler said Friday. "You can say I didn't live up to whatever or you didn't like the way I played or anything. But to ever question who I am and the type of leader I am in the locker room, I don't even know where that came from.

"I honestly don't know where that came from. I don't know if Phil put that out there or who put that out there, but to me, that was the ultimate shock. And you don't have to say that to get rid of me or to trade me. The trade is over.

"So to judge my character and what I've done, you can go look at all my teammates and ask all of my teammates in the past, and the coaches I've played for, and I've never been a problem and never had a problem. So that was a shock to me that I didn't appreciate."

Mavs owner Mark Cuban, president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson and coach Rick Carlisle all cited Chandler's outstanding leadership ability as one of the motivating factors in bringing him back to Dallas. Chandler was widely recognized as the spiritual leader during Dallas' 2010-11 championship season. He has always prided himself in being an unselfish player who demands the best of his teammates.

"It makes no sense," Chandler said. "If you call holding people accountable daily being a bad influence, then hey, I'm a bad influence. But I'm going to be that as long as I'm going to strap up my shoes and step on the basketball court. And that was the big problem there.

"That's the biggest thing. I guess if that's why I was a bad influence, because I wanted to do things the right way, then I guess I'm a bad influence. But I've never heard of that. I thought that was being a professional."

Chandler, the Defensive Player of the Year in 2011-12 and an All-Star in 2012-13, readily admits that he was disappointed in his performance last season. He averaged 8.7 points and 9.6 rebounds in 55 games for a Knicks team that went 37-45 after winning a playoff series the previous season. He also acknowledges that he'd speak his mind when he felt it was merited.

However, Chandler adamantly insists he never had any problems with teammates or coaches in New York. He finds suggestions otherwise to be offensive.

"You can go to any of the staff members or anybody and ask them what kind of guy I was when I was there, and if I was the guy who was pushing for what is right all the time and they would tell you so," Chandler said. "That more than anything in my career caught me off guard. I can stomach somebody saying he didn't produce or whatever, and that's just motivation. But a shot at someone's character or professionalism, that's a little far-fetched."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/11554074/tyson-chandler-dallas-mavericks-says-character-allegations-wrong
The guy sucked really bad in NY, tried to sabotage the locker room and wouldn't take responsibility for his horrendous play in the playoffs. Flu, personal issues and injuries kept him off the court for over a third of the season.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
9/19/2014  7:42 PM
He's right
CrushAlot
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #452
USA
9/19/2014  7:54 PM
Glad he is getting some crack back. He seemed to get a pass in the media for a long time. The guy as a leader was a joke. Tried to sabotage the coach. Stirred things up in the locker room. Tyson made big bank to be the championship pedigree guy and leader. He didn't come close.
gunsnewing
USA
9/19/2014  7:58 PM
That's how you feel but I doubt that's what the players who played with him over the years believe
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

9/19/2014  8:00 PM
Fuck this guy. We talked about him enough. He's a bum and highly overrated.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
gunsnewing
USA
9/19/2014  8:01 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/19/2014  9:30 PM
I would be pissed too if someone questioned my character. Like he said he could put up with people questioning his production but to drag him through the mud after you already traded him is unethical.

But that's Phil and we love him cod now he's ours

CrushAlot
USA
9/19/2014  8:02 PM
gunsnewing wrote:That's how you feel but I doubt that's what the players who played with him over the years believe
He was horrible last year and wilted the year before when a guy with strong character would minimally have stood up and taken ownership for 5 and 7 in the playoffs versus passing the buck. Tyson was ok when vets filled the leadership role. Once those guys were gone his presence was a negative in the locker room.
gunsnewing
USA
9/19/2014  8:02 PM
I'm no Tyson fan but that's just wrong
CrushAlot
USA
9/19/2014  8:09 PM
gunsnewing wrote:I'm no Tyson fan but that's just wrong
What?
F500ONE
Member: #5844

9/19/2014  8:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/19/2014  8:15 PM
gunsnewing wrote:He's right

Yeah as much as I can't stand how smug he

Acted on the court in games

We have more evidence his words carry truth

But when signed in place of Billups Amnesty

Chandler was sold as a contention piece

Everytime a player leaves, the salt remains

markvmc
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1797

9/19/2014  8:15 PM
I like Tyson, and I'm sorry he's gone, but weren't there a few post-game interviews last year where he threw his teammates under a bus?
F500ONE

9/19/2014  8:18 PM
markvmc wrote:I like Tyson, and I'm sorry he's gone, but weren't there a few post-game interviews last year where he threw his teammates under a bus?

Well he sold out Lin in favor of Felton

He was praised by a large mass for doing so

He usually had his slant on what our issues were

Often met with different slants from others

He threw Woodson's coaching under the bus last year

gunsnewing
USA
9/19/2014  8:21 PM
Don't remember him throwing teammates under the bus. He threw Woodson under and deservedly so
gunsnewing
USA
9/19/2014  8:22 PM
F500ONE wrote:
markvmc wrote:I like Tyson, and I'm sorry he's gone, but weren't there a few post-game interviews last year where he threw his teammates under a bus?

Well he sold out Lin in favor of Felton

He was praised by a large mass for doing so

He usually had his slant on what our issues were

Often met with different slants from others

He threw Woodson's coaching under the bus last year

Exactly. Was he wrong?

CrushAlot
USA
9/19/2014  8:31 PM
Yep and his epic interview after his horrible showing against Hibbert where he called out his teammates. There were reports that he was in Steve Mills ear chatting up and complaining. He got a pass for most of his shenanigans with the media because of his past reputation.
gunsnewing
USA
9/19/2014  8:33 PM
I love character assassination

1st Lin

Now Tyson lol

CrushAlot
USA
9/19/2014  8:49 PM
gunsnewing wrote:I love character assassination

1st Lin

Now Tyson lol

I am not sure if you are implying that I went after Lin. My only point all along has been that Lin saw his situation in terms of getting the most money he could for himself. It was the right thing for him to do for himself. He may never see money like that again. I just get frustrated when he is painted as an innocent victim when he was a shrewd businessman.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/19/2014  9:03 PM
gunsnewing wrote:I love character assassination

1st Lin

Now Tyson lol

I think you're wrong on this one. Tyson most definitely had some issue with his behavior during his time with the Knicks. If it was warranted in his mind or not he was wrong to go against the coach or deflect blame for his own shortcomings. In Tyson's mind he was justified but clearly Phil saw things differently. I'm gonna go with Phil on this one.

Tyson was a good player for this team but had his negatives too. I wasn't too pleased when he decided not to go learn from Hakeem. I think he complained too much to Felton which caused chemistry issues. He was paid to be an impact player and leader and often he was neither. Too many emotional outbursts after minimal contact. Too often standing and watching on D rather than hustling to help defend. He had his positives of course and these bad aspects weren't predominant but they happened often enough to effect the team. IMO the MYTH of Tyson is greater than the player.

F500ONE

9/19/2014  9:25 PM
Had Phil not traded Tyson

We wouldn't be discussing what he did

Under Woodson's watch

We'd be talking about another transformation

Tyson hungry to play for another contract

But since he's gone, time to pick up stones

CrushAlot
USA
9/19/2014  9:40 PM
F500ONE wrote:Had Phil not traded Tyson

We wouldn't be discussing what he did

Under Woodson's watch

We'd be talking about another transformation

Tyson hungry to play for another contract

But since he's gone, time to pick up stones

I disagree. At best I think most fans would be waiting for his deal to expire. Tyson and his act angered me more then most of the messed up things that happened last year and the previous spring. The guy was supposed to be a pro, a champion and a leader. After being so disappointing he comes out with this:
“I definitely don’t want to waste another season,’’ Chandler said before the Knicks faced the Nets Tuesday at Barclays Center. “I don’t want to waste this season. I’m not into wasting seasons. Your time is too short in this league and I want to win a championship, another one. I’m not into wasting seasons.’’

Not going to miss him. He needed to go.
Tyson can't let it go

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy