[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

KT being shopped
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/29/2004  7:09 PM
since IT peddled him around last year and the bets he could get was malik rose and a 30th pick in the draft--what we'll he be worth now that he signed a more lucrative contract and cant play all summer?

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #575
Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
5/29/2004  7:40 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

since IT peddled him around last year and the bets he could get was malik rose and a 30th pick in the draft--what we'll he be worth now that he signed a more lucrative contract and cant play all summer?

No, you are wrong. KT was not going to be traded directly for Malik. It was later discovered to be a larger, more complex trade that would have net us Weed.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/29/2004  8:36 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

I'm sure he could have gotten more than that. I think Isiah made it clear that he was listening to offers involving Kurt, but he wasn't desperately searching to trade him. I don't think Kurt will be out all summer, either. The max they said was 3 months. It's probably a range of like 1.5 to 3 months. Even if it's 3 months, that gives him 2 months to shake off his rust before the season starts.

Also, Kurt's barely making more than the mle ($5.8 mil). That's a very reasonable salary. The contract does not make him harder to trade.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/29/2004  8:43 PM
Yeah KT was signed for what he's worth.

I think the whole Malik Rose and the 30th pick was just him trying to see what the market for KT is. The Spurs threw a 1st rounder at him. I guess they figure they need a body guard for Duncan.

I bet Isiah was getting alot of calls but figured the off-season would be better that way he can see what the team was made of in the playoffs.....I bet he has a painted picture.

KT is gone.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/29/2004  10:59 PM
i think that if isiah couldve gotten more than malik rose and a pick kt wouldve been gone at the trade deadline last year.

KT has value, just not as much as what some people think. i mean kmart makes him look stupid on a yearly basis.
RIP Crushalot😞
Member: #575
Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
5/30/2004  12:01 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

i think that if isiah couldve gotten more than malik rose and a pick kt wouldve been gone at the trade deadline last year.

KT has value, just not as much as what some people think. i mean kmart makes him look stupid on a yearly basis.

read my previous post. The Malik for kurt was part of a bigger trade to get Weed that fell through.
Bonn1997
USA
5/30/2004  12:06 AM
read my previous post. The Malik for kurt was part of a bigger trade to get Weed that fell through

That's the first time I heard that and it seems pretty bizarre; I don't see why a Kurt for Malik deal would be involved in trying to get Rasheed

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/30/2004 00:07:32]
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
5/30/2004  12:56 AM
Since KT is being traded in a package with an expiring contract and backup PG, obviously it would be stupid to compare KT's worth vs. Abdur-Rahim's.

KT would be a good backup for Portland, he plays hard defense, has a limited but effective offensive game, and is more fit to backup. Abdur-Rahim is a starter.

Portland has been desperate to get a backup PG for Stoudamire, and adding Norris to backup for him for the next year while they wait for Telfair to develop (most draftniks have Telfair going to the Blazers, then him becoming the starting PG when the Blazers let Damon walk when his contract expires) would be a very solid move, since past backups have been clowns like Dan Dickau and Omar Cook.

Taking Patterson, a team cancer pretty much and despised by the fans, who has a large contract, and giving them expiring contracts to match, and I don't know why this is a bad deal.

KT alone won't yield the Knicks much, but packaged with various pieces like that and it could yield an All Star in Abdur-Rahim and a defensive stopper in Patterson. Last year the Pacers dealt Brad Miller for Scot Pollard, so obviously deals go down that, on paper, don't look too good.
#Knickstaps
Bonn1997
USA
5/30/2004  3:56 AM
Since KT is being traded in a package with an expiring contract and backup PG, obviously it would be stupid to compare KT's worth vs. Abdur-Rahim's.

?? It's just a rumor. You make it sound like it's definite
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/30/2004  12:29 PM
i hope they go after Ratliff in a bigger deal...that would offset the weak D of Rahim in the frontcourt...but POR probably wants to hold onto Theo since he played great for them last season...i was calling for the Knicks to trade for him when he was a Hawk, but they missed out on that opportunity...he would have made a perfect C for this team last season.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
TMS
USA
5/30/2004  12:32 PM
also remember guys, Kurt has a 20% trade kicker that goes into effect if he is dealt, so it's not just a mid level deal that he's signed to...the team trading for him will have to accept a significant increase in his salary if they want him.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
USA
5/30/2004  3:45 PM
also remember guys, Kurt has a 20% trade kicker that goes into effect if he is dealt, so it's not just a mid level deal that he's signed to
that's about a $1 mil increase. That's still pretty small and he'd still be making a very reasonable salary.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
6/3/2004  4:09 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/199233p-172022c.html

Kurt looks to trade futures

By FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Kurt Thomas has an impressive financial portfolio and enough tailored suits to at least look the part of a Wall Street broker as he did yesterday, standing inside the Merrill Lynch World Headquarters in lower Manhattan to honor the winners of the Investment Challenge that bears his name.
Thomas' nickname on the basketball court may be Crazy Eyes, but he is smart enough to look after his money.

In March, the Knicks and Thomas agreed to a four-year contract extension worth approximately $30 million. The forward, who is scheduled to have surgery on his right pinkie today in New York, could have waited for a more lucrative deal in July but he jumped at the chance for financial security.

His decision not to test the free-agent market has increased speculation that the Knicks will trade Thomas this summer, a move that Lenny Wilkens seemed to endorse when the head coach said that the Knicks' main need for next season was to add "a physical (power forward) who blocks shots and give you a real low-post presence."

"I wasn't aware of it," Thomas said of Wilkens' comments. "It doesn't bother me. I know I can play with my back to the basket. I believe I led the team in blocked shots or was second (he was second to Dikembe Mutombo, 123-80). I think I led the team in rebounding (he did at 8.30 per game), so I think my numbers speak for themselves. And I play with injuries. It doesn't bother me."

But Thomas was also providing subtle hints that he would welcome a change of scenery. His shooting hand will be in a cast for six weeks, which could scare off potential suitors. Not so, according to Thomas, whose 20% trade bonus probably eliminates most teams from pursuing him.

"I think everybody saw I could play with the injury," he said. "I don't think that will be a factor or anything."

Thomas was nearly traded to San Antonio before the February deadline and has replaced Latrell Sprewell and Charlie Ward as the Knick most often rumored to be going elsewhere. There has already been talk about a deal with Portland for Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

Thomas is the second-longest tenured Knick behind Allan Houston and established himself as a strong presence in the community. His fourth annual Investment Challenge includes 1,600 students from 13 New York City public high schools. Ten winners received summer internships with Merrill Lynch and Thomas honored five students with $2,000 scholarships.

When he addressed the individual and team winners yesterday, Thomas said his goal is to create similar programs in Dallas and Houston. Of course, those are two cities where he wouldn't mind being traded to.

"I'm from Texas," he said, smiling. "So I would like to see the program in Texas as much as possible."

Originally published on June 3, 2004

djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
6/3/2004  8:37 AM
i was hating something awful on kurt towards the end of last season BUT he's still a solid player. is he a starting 4 or 5, no way BUT he still can be very effective as a sixth man. it wouldn't kill me if he's still on the roster and i think that now he got his contract, coming off the bench shouldn't be a problem with him (like when dice came back). maybe his pinkie did effect the pick and roll game he had when steph first came over. also, with that being said, if we do re-sign doleac, then kurt's place in the offense is gone b/c doleac pretty much does the same thing but better.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

6/3/2004  12:04 PM
KT makes me mad cuz he thinks he's better than he is. Yeah he lead the team in rebounding and 2nd in block shots....

He still gets killed by Kenyon Martin and Jermaine O'neal and Rahseed. Besides getting killed he doesn't make either of them play defense on him.

Now if the Knicks already had Shareef or someone like him ahead of KT on the depth chart then KT's game is valuable....but only in spurts.

If KT is your main big man you are in trouble.

I say trade him to Texas. Houston or Dallas or San Antoino. Make sure the Knicks get a draft pick and someone that fits our system. Houston and San Antonio probably would send off their pick for KT and stick a Hidayet Turkoglu, Bostjan Nachbar, or someone young and tradeable.

Knicks Got Sweetney right? F it.

The ideal thing would be to trade KT in a packedge for Shareef. KT is soooo good in the pick and role with Marbury? Shareef can knock down the 15 footer and put it on the floor, post up and see the floor well enough to make a play after he gets that pass from Marbury. Then we'll see Marbury get to the basket more often because they just won't double team Marbury all the time after the pick.

Right now the Knicks are right there to becoming a problem to teams like Indiana and the Nets and Detroit and even Miami!

The one thing the Knicks have that none of those teams have is Stephon. If Isiah can upgrade the talent around him when the game is on the line I want Marbury to have the ball. With other guys out there that demand defensive attention that leaves Marbury open to do his thing.....I can just see how the Garden would explode after Shareef or Timmy or Allan puts goes on a tear and then while the defense is trying to prevent them from Getting the ball Marbury eats their heart!
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
TMS
USA
6/3/2004  1:01 PM
trade him to Houston for Kelvin Cato & a future draft pick (throw in Trybanski as cap filler to even out the dollars)
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/3/2004  1:25 PM
Posted by TMS:

trade him to Houston for Kelvin Cato & a future draft pick (throw in Trybanski as cap filler to even out the dollars)

interesting, I would do this. Rockets would probably do this cause Kurt is a good spot up shooter to match Yoa's post play. Also a tough defender. Cato would give the Knicks a weak side defender blocker. I like.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
timmyTtop
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #680
6/3/2004  5:30 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by TMS:

interesting, I would do this. Rockets would probably do this cause Kurt is a good spot up shooter to match Yoa's post play. Also a tough defender. Cato would give the Knicks a weak side defender blocker. I like.

y do it when u may get reef for him?
TMS
USA
6/3/2004  5:31 PM
would you rather have Rahim or would you rather have Cato & a future 1st round pick? i guess i would take Rahim, but remember it's going to cost alot more to get him than just Kurt Thomas.
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
6/3/2004  7:30 PM
That deal involving KT for Malik and first round pick almost went through. The Spurs weren't able to get the deal done because the time constraints ran out on them. Pop was furious at himself and management for not being able to get Malik off the team. But the deal didn't go through not because of IT but the inability of Spurs to meet the deadline.
KT being shopped

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy