[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

expectations of Sweetney
Author Thread
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
5/30/2004  5:13 PM
I dont think its that silly. I am higher on him than others, but I truly beleive he has rare rebounding skills. A wide body to box out, rare timing on his leaps, big soft hands and relentless effort. Here's a rephrase: I think he can have 3 or 4 peak years in the NBA where he averages 12 boards. BTW, I didnt mean to imply that he'd be that player in the worst case scenario. Worst case is he breaks his leg in camp and he never gets a chance to start. But I was trying to imply that if he does become a starter in the league and continues on the same development path with no injuries, I think at the very least, those would be the numbers he puts up in his peak years.

[Edited by - VDesai on 05/30/2004 17:22:05]
AUTOADVERT
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
5/30/2004  6:39 PM
I would think that if Sweets is going to develop into that kind of player- and he does have some unique 'assets' that will enable him to score and rebound, it is probably going to take a full year or two before he starts to reach that level.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/30/2004  6:46 PM
Posted by VDesai:

I dont think its that silly. I am higher on him than others, but I truly beleive he has rare rebounding skills. A wide body to box out, rare timing on his leaps, big soft hands and relentless effort. Here's a rephrase: I think he can have 3 or 4 peak years in the NBA where he averages 12 boards. BTW, I didnt mean to imply that he'd be that player in the worst case scenario. Worst case is he breaks his leg in camp and he never gets a chance to start. But I was trying to imply that if he does become a starter in the league and continues on the same development path with no injuries, I think at the very least, those would be the numbers he puts up in his peak years.

[Edited by - VDesai on 05/30/2004 17:22:05]

Okay; I guess I misunderstood what you meant by "At worst I think he will be a 14 pt 12 rpg kind of player"

I agree that Sweetney will be a good rebounder. But you can't tell how good a rebounder he'll be after watching him play 2 8 minute spurts per game. This argument is getting pretty repetitive now. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. I do hope his worst healthy case scenario (it seems like that's what you're describing) is a top 3 rebounder in the league like you're projecting.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/30/2004 18:47:18]
Stevo718
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #559
5/31/2004  4:08 PM
First of all what do you mean by "rare timing", do you mean he has "good timing" when he goes up for rebounds?

Second of all, you can't simply assume he'll put up certain numbers simply by using a mathematical ratio and saying that he'll rebound 4 times as much becuase he'll be playing 4 times as many minutes.

There are so many factors to consider...

He seems athletic, but what if this guy is playing his heart out for these 12 minutes or so a game. Now play him everyday... is he gonna play this hard for 30+ minutes a game, everyday? I'm not sold on that yet.

All I know is that we definitely should not trade him until we definitely know what he can do as a full time starter. If he doesn't pan out as a starter his trade value compared to right now won't decrease substantially, but if we trade him before giving him a chance and he becomes the next Elton Brand then we'll be kicking ourselves in the ass.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
5/31/2004  7:51 PM
Stevo- Timing of his leaps to go up for rebounds is what I mean by rare timing. While he doesnt jump the highest, he jumps first and jumps quick, often giving him the first opportunity to the ball. In addition, having watched Sweetney through college and now in the pros, he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who only works for 12 mins. He has always been the type of guy that goes all out every minute he's on the floor.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/31/2004  8:07 PM
Posted by VDesai:

Stevo- Timing of his leaps to go up for rebounds is what I mean by rare timing. While he doesnt jump the highest, he jumps first and jumps quick, often giving him the first opportunity to the ball. In addition, having watched Sweetney through college and now in the pros, he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who only works for 12 mins. He has always been the type of guy that goes all out every minute he's on the floor.

He wasn't referring about effort; he was talking about whether Sweetney would have the stamina and conditioning to play with the same energy for 35 mpg as he does playing for two seven-minute spurts per game. I think Sweetney is a good rebounder but I think a lot of PFs who average 8 or 9 RPG as starters could give you the 4 RPG that Sweetney gives you in the 12 mpg he played this year.

I think your comment about timing would make more sense if you said he has "good" timing. I agree with him that "rare" is a strange word to use there, unless you mean that it's rare for a player to have as good timing as he has.
expectations of Sweetney

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy