expectations of Sweetney
Author Thread
NYKfan1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #679
USA
5/29/2004  1:51 AM
I expect him to put up numbers like:

10ppg 10rpg in 04-05 and I think he will probably start because i don't think Kurt will be here next year. I think for his career Sweetney will probably turn into like a 16ppg 10-12rpg kind of player.
Just wondering what others expect of him.
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/29/2004  9:06 AM
i don't know about his scoring, but his rebounding will obviously reach double digits if he's given minutes.

i think he'll put up about close to what you projected for next season if he's made starter...i don't know about him reaching 16 a game on a consistent basis thought...we'll see how much he improves after a summer of work w/Aquirre working on his low post game.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
5/29/2004  9:09 AM
Ill give him that 10 ppg, only due to the fact of how hard he fights on the offensive board...usually ends up with a bucket or foul shots.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/29/2004  9:20 AM
I bet Sweetney wins the spot.

If Isiah doesn't make any moves before the summer leagues.....I think Sweetney would show he's ready to take KT's spot.

I think Sweetney is capable of putting up more than 10pts per. Sweetney doesn't need to be developed....he needs confidence and playing time. We're not talking about a Euro player.

Sweetney is great at drawing fouls....add that to his offensive rebounding and post-up game(yes he has one). I think he will surpass KT.

Elton Brand and Sweetney are so similiar....it's just show and prove time. I think Sweetney will.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
TMS
USA
5/29/2004  9:28 AM
Elton Brand? come on dude...the only thing that they are really similar in is that they're both high effort guys who are undersized w/big wingspans...Sweetney's game isn't even close to being on the level of Brand, & who knows if he ever will be...Brand is a 20/10/3/2 player...you think Sweetney will grow to be that type of player? maybe, but i doubt it.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
5/29/2004  11:53 AM
Posted by TMS:

Elton Brand? come on dude...the only thing that they are really similar in is that they're both high effort guys who are undersized w/big wingspans...Sweetney's game isn't even close to being on the level of Brand, & who knows if he ever will be...Brand is a 20/10/3/2 player...you think Sweetney will grow to be that type of player? maybe, but i doubt it.
I don't know if Sweetney is at Brand's level but the way he produces in limited time, i feel like with more touches he could put up 18/12... the guy can definitely rebound and in the post he keeps working and usually gets results
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
5/29/2004  1:36 PM
If Sweets continues to play with the passion he did this year, I totally see Lenny benching him.

[Edited by - nykdunk on 05/29/2004 13:36:28]
EnySpree

5/29/2004  1:59 PM
Posted by TMS:

they're both high effort guys who are undersized w/big wingspans...

that's what I mean.....that's all.

Sweetney's game isn't even close to being on the level of Brand, & who knows if he ever will be...Brand is a 20/10/3/2 player...you think Sweetney will grow to be that type of player? maybe, but i doubt it.

Maybe.....that's why it's show and prove time.

How can you question that?

How do you feel about Shareef Abdur-Rahim? He is the most available power fwd with all-star calibur game. Portland dosn't even need him. They are the only team I could see taking a Mutombo and KT just to bolster their bench....cuz portland doesn't have a bench outside of Ruben Patterson.

Sheed and other guys like Walker are not gonna just pop on the Knicks roster. Cuban would never take anything the Knicks have. KT is a back-up at most. If we know that other teams know it too. Sheed just might win a championship in Detroit mainly because he was the missing piece.

You guys want to be like Dallas and Detroit, and the Lakers, Sacramento and whatever team. You want to be the Yankees.

You guys want to get Tyson Chandler cuz he's young and you think trading KT to Chicago is gonna do it? Chicago knows what Chandler could be. If they are trading Chandler it's gonna be for a high draft pick, another guy on a rookie contract with potential or in a packedge to get an established star in this league.

Yeah I think Sweetney can be similiar to Elton Brand the same way many of us think that Crawford is gonna be the man one day, Eddie Curry will be dominant, Chandler will be a double double maniac etc....

Flip Murray might be had cheap but nobody wants him.....the guy was an all-star for the first quarter of last season.

What do you Knick fans want?
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/29/2004  3:04 PM
Brand is much more athletic than Sweetney. No matter how hard Sweetney works, I doubt he'll ever have that degree of athleticism. (I hope I'm wrong, though.)
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
5/29/2004  4:20 PM
I'd be content with Sweetney becoming a Carlos Boozer type 16 and 10 guy who is active on the glass, gets putbacks, and goes to the FT stripe several times a game. Anything more than that would be a pleasure surprise, anything less than that would be a disappointment since he was the 9th overall pick.
#Knickstaps
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
5/29/2004  4:45 PM
I'm very high on Sweets and have written several posts about him here on this forum. I think if we give him 25-30 mins next year he can go 8-10 ppg 10 rpg. Right now the rebounding is coming before the scoring, though the one thing I'd like to see in the summer league is the Knicks constantly feeding this guy in the post. He can be a real good player there. He uses his size well (wide base) and has deceptively quick moves. He is a foul magnet and can get to the line a lot. He should be a decent 70-75% shooter in this league as well. They need to force the issue with him so he can become more comfortable. He's not gonna learn a whole lot by sitting or standing and watching.

If he becomes a starter I seriously think he can challenge for the league lead in rebounding. His timing on his leaps is rare and he has excellent hands. Combine that with a good work ethic, and you've got a guy that can push 13-14 rebs when he becomes a starter.

In college he also blocked shots well. I don't know whether that will translate to the pros, but if it does, his peak could be Elton Brand like with a little less scoring ability. At worst I think he will be a 14 pt 12 rpg kind of player, which is very good.
Bonn1997
USA
5/29/2004  6:48 PM
At worst I think he will be a 14 pt 12 rpg kind of player, which is very good.

In the worst case scenario, he's gonna average 12 rpg??? That's a lot for a 6'7" player. Just because he was a good rebounder playing in 8 minute spurts per half this year doesn't mean he's going to be a top 3 rebounder in the NBA when he's a starter (and definitely not in the worst case scenario).
EnySpree

5/29/2004  8:50 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

In the worst case scenario, he's gonna average 12 rpg??? That's a lot for a 6'7" player. Just because he was a good rebounder playing in 8 minute spurts per half this year doesn't mean he's going to be a top 3 rebounder in the NBA when he's a starter (and definitely not in the worst case scenario).

yeah that is pushing it.

Sweetney had a raw deal this season cuz Chaney didn't play him. If you are a lottery team you have to play those draft picks....obviously your team sucks so why bury a guy drafted at #9?

That irks me so much. Sweetney will be ok. He has alot of intagibles to be sucsessful and he will in one way or another....I think we all agree on that.
mintyfreshness33
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #586
USA
5/29/2004  9:54 PM
i think sweetney is more like LJ than elton brand. they are both 6'7, and play undersized. LJ was much more athletic and had the illest post moves, i hope sweetney has good work ethic and develope LJesque moves. LJ was scoring over 6'9 players night in and night out, so if sweetney works on his post move he can put up big numbers too. but 18/12 is a bit too much. more like 10/8, then 12/9, but then again he might come next year and get 25/15. who knows
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/29/2004  9:58 PM
Sweetney has a lot of intangibles, he can jump quickly, has long arms, moves very well(pretty quick for a big man) and has very good hands. The kid is very slick around the basket but has the power to get where he wants. I expect big things from him...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
EnySpree

5/30/2004  10:45 AM
Posted by tkf:

Sweetney has a lot of intangibles, he can jump quickly, has long arms, moves very well(pretty quick for a big man) and has very good hands. The kid is very slick around the basket but has the power to get where he wants. I expect big things from him...

couldn't say it any better.

He has no expression though....just like Frank. What is that about? When he dunked that tip in during the Nets series he didn't even react. He fights for rebounds aggresively but looks like he just woke up.....kinda weird.
TMS
USA
5/30/2004  12:37 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

exactly...we have to factor in whether or not he'll be able to stay out of foul trouble w/the increase in minutes...he played great in short spurts off the bench, but he did get into foul trouble an awful lot, mostly as a by-product of his all-out effort & hustle type game...he's not yet respected enough by the NBA refs to get away w/the ticky tack fouls...he's going to have to learn how to stay effective while not committing early fouls if he wants to be successful as a starter in this league.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
5/30/2004  2:43 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I'm not saying he's gonna be a 14 and 12 player next year. I truly believe that when he establishes himself as an NBA player, he'd produce those number at least in his peak years.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
5/30/2004  3:27 PM
12 boards is a lot- its like being a 20 pt scorer.

Sweetney might not even be on this team and unless K Thomas gets traded, where is Sweets going to play?

If he started, he probably would be able to put up K Thomas kind of numbers- the difference being there would be more offensive boards and the points would be getting scored in the paint.

If there is one thing I would want him to do is develop a reliable 15ft jump shot and some move that he can use facing up to the basket.
Bonn1997
USA
5/30/2004  3:54 PM
I'm not saying he's gonna be a 14 and 12 player next year. I truly believe that when he establishes himself as an NBA player, he'd produce those number at least in his peak years.

You can't seriously think that's the *worst* case scenario, though. You're basically saying that in the *worst* possible scenario, Sweetney will be a better rebounder than Ewing was. That's pretty silly.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/30/2004 15:55:13]
expectations of Sweetney

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy