[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Can East winner give Lakers a series?
Author Thread
rojasmas
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #639
5/28/2004  9:13 PM
I think maybe. Defense is the key. T-wolves just don't play much as good as Garnett is. Pacers I think could take them 7 but still lose.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/28/2004  9:29 PM
I think Detroit has the best chance cuz they swarm. That would give the triangle fits. The Match-ups will be great though......Big Ben vs. Shaq, Rip vs. Kobe , Chancey vs. Payton, Sheed vs. Malone.

I don't think Indiana could beat the Lakers in a series Jermaine O'neal needs an inforcer. I think Malone would just abuse Jermaine down low.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
NYKfan1
Member: #679
USA
5/29/2004  12:58 AM
I think Detroit would have a chance cause of their D. they also match up well with the lakers at several spots. First at the point Biiups will just abuse the aging payton. The other is the four where Rasheed WILL outplay malone. Malone stoped Duncan because of how stationary he was but sheed is the complete oposite, Malone will have to stick with him on the perimeter which he can't do. If Detroit does win that'll be the best final series in a long time.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/29/2004  1:45 AM
I think that with an injured Cassel, this T-Wolves team playing the Lakers is not half the team the Pistons are. The Pistons can definitely give the Lakers more of a challenge than the T-Wolves.
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
5/29/2004  11:21 AM
I definitely agree that if the Pistons meet the Lakers in the Finals, they will give them a run for their money. The Pacers on the otherhand, don't match up as well with the Lakers so I don't see how they would be able to push a series past 6 games.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
5/29/2004  5:33 PM
At the beginning of the playoffs I thought so, but after watching the Eastern Conference finals, I highly doubt it. At the start of the playoffs, I felt the only thing preventing the Lakers from winning it was their will to win. When a team has as many high profile players as LA does, motivation is the biggest obstacle to success. But now the Lakers seemed to have that aspect all sorted out. And they'll most likely crush whoever comes out of the East.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
5/29/2004  5:52 PM
I'm still hopeful that the T-wolves will pull off the seemingly impossible and take the next 3 games from LA.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/1/2004  12:50 PM
Det has a shot.. I think they really do. The have the size to bother the Lakers, and the defenders to bother Kobe. They will put the long Prince on Kobe, meanwhile Kobe will be forced to guard someone pretty good on the other side of the ball.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/1/2004  1:25 PM
Pistons in 6 if the Wallaces are heathy. Or if Marcelis can throw the games.

Ben, Sheed and Marcelis Wallace.

Cassell was missed, Szerbiack was great.

He is a long island boy, Why nobody talking about him "coming home with Isiah?"
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
6/1/2004  1:35 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Cassell was missed, Szerbiack was great.

He is a long island boy, Why nobody talking about him "coming home with Isiah?"

He has the wrong skin pigmentation for Isiah to consider.
jazz74
Member: #371
6/1/2004  3:12 PM
during the season, i thought the pacers were the team to give the west fits. but with o'neal injuring his leg and the way they were loofing in the playoffs, i don't think they have a chance. detroit is a team that can get with the lakers because they control the paint. they are like the spurs or even better concerning defense in the paint because they have active bodies that will congest o'neal or malone in the paint. but they will lose because they do not have enough consistent firepower to win.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/1/2004  3:48 PM
I am rooting for the Pistons. I wanna see them shatter the Lakers, even though I doubt it. They just have to keep everyone contained, and they have to get back on defense. The Wolves Transition defense wasn't that good yesterday. Detroits is 10X better, as they have younger players to keep up with LA. This is gonna be the most exciting series, to be honest, since the Knicks vs Spurs series in '99. Even though the Knicks lost in 5, they were all close games. Since I always predict the team I want to win, to win, I say the Pistons in 6. I think it's important for them to win game 1 though. And I think it's even more important for them to close out the Indy series, tonight, if they want to win this, and then beat the Lakers.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
6/1/2004  4:15 PM
Lakers in 7...but the outcome is inevitable imo...no one can match up w/the Lakers as long as Kobe & Shaq are healthy.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
6/1/2004  11:32 PM
Only team that will put up a fight is the Pistons....the Pacers are a little too green, IMHO...
~You can't run from who you are.~
raven
Member: #316
Canada
6/2/2004  9:23 AM
Pistons have a chance. They swarm inside, and matchup well.

- Prince on kobe with little or so offensive assignment
- kobe will have to run forever after hamilton
- they have a lot of big bodies inside, and a lot of help defense
- billups will make them suffer to hell

they have a chance, and I'll root for them to win it all.

GO EAST !
DaMano718
Member: #342
6/2/2004  10:40 AM
Matchups

PG - Billups/Payton -- - Billups(Detroit)
SG - RIP / Kobe -- Kobe (LA)
SF - Prince /Fox/Rush -- Prince(Detoit)
PF - Rasheed / Malone -- Rasheed (Detroit)
C - Wallce / Shaq --- Shaq (LA)
Bench --- Bench (Detoit)
Coach -- Brown (Detoit)

based on the matchups... i think Detroit can really beat them... As long as Wallace can tame Shaq just a alittle, I think Detroit can really take them out...

Chauncy is just gonna **** on Payton, and embarras him once again...
raven
Member: #316
Canada
6/2/2004  11:44 AM
Again, there are some matchup that are not reciprocal.

ie : prince will guard kobe, kobe will guard rip, rip will guard georges, georges will guard prince.

I think this series could be hard for kobe, cause prince is a long defender, whose only task will be to bother him. At the same time, he'll have to run after rip through numerous screens. Rip is also a guy that is dangerous from all over the floor.

you're right about payton, he'll be embarrassed this time again. not only by billups but also by lindsey hunter.

Meanwhile in the paint, they still have both wallaces and okur + campbell (still there i think) to man the basket. a lot of big bodies. At he very last, they could use milicic.
Allanfan20
USA
6/2/2004  12:41 PM
How do you guys know that KObe will guard Rip and not Prince, while George guards Rip? George is athletic. He can keep up with Rip. That way, Kobe wont use as much energy on the defensive end. (Even though Prince is still good)

I think this Pistons team reminds me a lot of the Knicks, just a few years ago. Outstanding defensive team. Championship calibre. Had many offensive options, despite not putting up a lot of points. The Pistons very well can compete, and make this a series. A few days ago, I said the Pistons wouldn't have much of a shot, but I gave it some thought. They certainly do.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
6/2/2004  1:59 PM
This Detroit team definitely reminds me of the 94 Knick team.

Ewing = Rasheed
Oakley = Big Ben
Smith = Prince
Starks = Rip
Harper = Billups
Allanfan20
USA
6/2/2004  2:06 PM
Posted by NYKBocker:

This Detroit team definitely reminds me of the 94 Knick team.

Ewing = Rasheed
Oakley = Big Ben
Smith = Prince
Starks = Rip
Harper = Billups

I was thinking more along the lines of the 99 - 00 Knicks team. Rip = Houston. Spree = Prince on defense. Big ben = LJ, except better defender, worse offensive player.

Raweed isn't in Ewing's league though!
Can East winner give Lakers a series?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy