[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I can see no way that the Knicks are much better than last season because point guard change. Convince me or agree
Author Thread
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
8/31/2014  5:56 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/31/2014  5:58 PM
F500ONE wrote:No Monta was not supposed to be the difference maker

Simply a difference maker and he was

Dallas wins collectively and loses the same

If you go back and watch those games

He did win at least 2 almost single handedley

Was he supposed to win all 4?

Where does Dirk factor

Here let's look at Youtube

Game 3

Game 6

I noticed in the stat breakdown

Calderon's defense absolutely non existent

No Blocks, No Steals, Almost no Rebounds

Also very little free throw shooting, pretty much the essentials to winning

I can't imagine a tougher situation to be in than a 1st rd series with the Spurs. Not exactly an easy assignment for Jose. I wouldn't hold it against him if he was a non factor on D in that series. Not many players are gonna look very good against the Spurs guards.

Still you missed the point entirely in regard to the fact that Monta holds a greater role for the Mavs than Jose and thus more share of the blame for them losing. Dude was not efficient across the series.

Last year with Jose and Monta together in the back court, with Felton thrown in for comparison:

-------- Off Rtg Def Rtg WS/48 Ast% USG% TS% eFG% TOV%
Jose - 120 112 (+8) .122 22.4 16.2 .596 .584 11.7
Monta - 104 109 (-5) .078 24.8 26.0 .532 .478 15.2
Felton - 103 111 (-8) .053 28.1 18.2 .476 .446 16.3

Jose is just simply a more efficient player. His Assist % is usually almost twice as high, but last year Monta was handling the ball more. Jose would put up near Nash numbers in MDA's system IMO.

AUTOADVERT
dk7th
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #4228
USA
8/31/2014  6:51 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Another sort of unique factor with Lin is that many road games would, like Tim Tebow had going for him, be essentially home games in terms of the crowd. There were more Raptors fans cheering for Lin than the Raptors when he hit that game winning three pointer.

Why would the Rockets give all this up and in fact have to package draft picks to move Lin and his 'poison pill' deal to have a shot at Melo or Bosh?

more misdirection from you, which means only one thing: weak sauce.

what does question of yours have to do with lin's ACTUAL value to the knicks THIS year, were he retained? it's not lin's fault that the rockets brought in harden, rendering lin redundant. same thing happened here with the knicks. stoudemire was here first, and then dolan acquires melo, making stoudemire redundant.

there was NOBODY on the knicks that strike-shortened year that made lin redundant.

be honest-- would you not rather have had lin remain a knick? can you imagine how much better the knicks would have been that 54-28 season, with kidd mentoring lin while kidd himself remained fresh? again, try to be honest and answer the question directly.

I loved Lin and wanted him to remain a Knick at the time. However, it isn't 'weak sauce' if a poster suggests that Lin makes opposing courts home courts to question him on it. The Rockets did give that player up along with picks to have the opportunity to get Melo or Bosh.

of all the things to focus on, you focus on the least basketball-relevant subject in his post. do you realize how much money lin would have generated for dolan?

I focused on it because I couldn't believe he wrote it. It gives perspective into his biases. Also, check when he signed up. This forum had a big upswing in February of 2012. If someone says Lin has a Tebow effect and will make away games home games you don't think that is relevant? I don't think you just gloss over provocative statements. If I said Melo can turn water into wine would you just leave that hanging?

you mean just after melo signed that RIDICULOUS and OUTRAGEOUS contract? BFD. knick fandom consists of fairly divergent camps and with good reason-- melo is an extremely divisive figure. his advanced stats don't justify his salary, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. it's interesting to me that lately there are several new posters who have a decidedly gimlet-eyed view of melo and the knicks. meanwhile there have been no tkf sightings. it's like a hydra. cut off one head and several others spring up.

for your sake i hope the knicks do really well this season.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/31/2014  7:02 PM
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
Another sort of unique factor with Lin is that many road games would, like Tim Tebow had going for him, be essentially home games in terms of the crowd. There were more Raptors fans cheering for Lin than the Raptors when he hit that game winning three pointer.

Why would the Rockets give all this up and in fact have to package draft picks to move Lin and his 'poison pill' deal to have a shot at Melo or Bosh?

what does question of yours have to do with lin's ACTUAL value to the knicks THIS year, were he retained? it's not lin's fault that the rockets brought in harden, rendering lin redundant. same thing happened here with the knicks. stoudemire was here first, and then dolan acquires melo, making stoudemire redundant.

there was NOBODY on the knicks that strike-shortened year that made lin redundant.

be honest-- would you not rather have had lin remain a knick? can you imagine how much better the knicks would have been that 54-28 season, with kidd mentoring lin while kidd himself remained fresh? again, try to be honest and answer the question directly.

I loved Lin and wanted him to remain a Knick at the time. However, it isn't 'weak sauce' if a poster suggests that Lin makes opposing courts home courts to question him on it. The Rockets did give that player up along with picks to have the opportunity to get Melo or Bosh.

of all the things to focus on, you focus on the least basketball-relevant subject in his post. do you realize how much money lin would have generated for dolan?

I focused on it because I couldn't believe he wrote it. It gives perspective into his biases. Also, check when he signed up. This forum had a big upswing in February of 2012. If someone says Lin has a Tebow effect and will make away games home games you don't think that is relevant? I don't think you just gloss over provocative statements. If I said Melo can turn water into wine would you just leave that hanging?

you mean just after melo signed that RIDICULOUS and OUTRAGEOUS contract? BFD. knick fandom consists of fairly divergent camps and with good reason-- melo is an extremely divisive figure. his advanced stats don't justify his salary, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. it's interesting to me that lately there are several new posters who have a decidedly gimlet-eyed view of melo and the knicks. meanwhile there have been no tkf sightings. it's like a hydra. cut off one head and several others spring up.

I have no problem with Lin or Melo getting their money. I do get frustrated when one guy signs a contract that pays him so much it insures he will not be going back to the Knicks but is praised as a hero of all that is good while the other guy that signs a deal to stay with the Knicks is villainized.

I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
CrushAlot
USA
8/31/2014  7:06 PM
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
dk7th wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

What about the Tebow effect TT posted about. Why would the rockets package Lin and picks to dump his deal if he has the ability to turn visiting arenas into his home court?
F500ONE
Member: #5844

8/31/2014  7:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/31/2014  7:24 PM
nixluva wrote:

Where does Dirk factor

Game 3

Game 6

I can't imagine a tougher situation to be in than a 1st rd series with the Spurs. Not exactly an easy assignment for Jose. I wouldn't hold it against him if he was a non factor on D in that series. Not many players are gonna look very good against the Spurs guards.

Still you missed the point entirely in regard to the fact that Monta holds a greater role for the Mavs than Jose and thus more share of the blame for them losing. Dude was not efficient across the series.

Last year with Jose and Monta together in the back court, with Felton thrown in for comparison:

Jose is just simply a more efficient player. His Assist % is usually almost twice as high, but last year Monta was handling the ball more. Jose would put up near Nash numbers in MDA's system IMO.

Jose did handle the ball more in Toronto

Jose put up near Nash like numbers in a non MDA system there

When Jose was there

He led Toronto to the lottery year-after-year

Next

Playing efficient isn't the end all be all to everything

Jason Kidd was never really an efficient point guard

For the majority of his career

Part of the reason Monta had to have the ball

For starters he's a better basketball player than Jose

But more importantly he's a dynamic playmaker

Who draws far more attention compared to someone like Jose

Just as much as you put faith in Phil

Carlisle has lots of credibility himself at every stop

Detroit-Indiana-Dallas

He'll probably tap into some of Felton's positive

Attributes and keep him there while not hurting their team

nixluva
USA
8/31/2014  9:34 PM
F500ONE wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Where does Dirk factor

Game 3

Game 6

Jose did handle the ball more in Toronto

Jose put up near Nash like numbers in a non MDA system there

When Jose was there

He led Toronto to the lottery year-after-year

Next

Playing efficient isn't the end all be all to everything

Jason Kidd was never really an efficient point guard

For the majority of his career

Part of the reason Monta had to have the ball

For starters he's a better basketball player than Jose

But more importantly he's a dynamic playmaker

Who draws far more attention compared to someone like Jose

Just as much as you put faith in Phil

Carlisle has lots of credibility himself at every stop

Detroit-Indiana-Dallas

He'll probably tap into some of Felton's positive

Attributes and keep him there while not hurting their team

Kidd was a great PG in this league. Don't know why you're bringing him up in this conversation. No one is trying to make the case that Jose is a future HOF'er. I have to shake my head when you keep doing this. I just think you go off on tangents to try and confuse the issue. It would be nice to have a young Kidd, but that's not possible.

For the purpose of OUR team it's very important that our PG has certain skills. Being able to think the game, pass, shoot and keep mistakes to a minimum. Jose is going to avg. a similar number of shots that Fish did when he was at his peak. Being efficient in taking those shots is a PLUS. You can't turn that into a negative no matter how much you try. IMO it matters that we have an efficient PG. Neither Monta nor Felton are efficient enough to really get too crazy about them taking a lot of shots and handling the ball so much. In the Triangle Jose is the better fit. Melo, JR, THJ etc will all be taking the majority of the shots. Jose doesn't need to be taking a ton of them. We need him to help by being a threat and making the right passes and decisions when he is called upon.

Yes Carlisle is a very good coach. He's proven his ability over and over. How then do you think we should feel about this team being run by Phil and members of his staff and his long time PG? It's at least a positive development don't you think? As for Carlisle tapping into Felton's positives, sure, why not? I'm glad he's in Dallas now as opposed to us trying to tap into his positives here. Felton had his chances here. He had some good stretches here and now we've moved on. Jose fits what we're trying to do better than Felton IMO. I think Phil would agree.

F500ONE

8/31/2014  10:16 PM
Unfortunately Jose won't be playing

Defense like Fisher did

Taking low volume shot attempts and

Making right decisions and passes when called upon doesn't

Spike our win total from 37 to 50

Nor will Jose be coached by Phil

Fisher is going to be learning on the job

This will be a growing pains first season together

nixluva
USA
8/31/2014  11:17 PM
F500ONE wrote:Unfortunately Jose won't be playing

Defense like Fisher did

Taking low volume shot attempts and

Making right decisions and passes when called upon doesn't

Spike our win total from 37 to 50

Nor will Jose be coached by Phil

Fisher is going to be learning on the job

This will be a growing pains first season together

We've discussed the lack of defense. It's an issue but not one they can't overcome. The Knicks should be able to mount a decent defense when needed. Jose is just a piece of the team and not the key component. Jose will likely only play about 30 mpg. We'll have Prigs and Larkin as well as Shump, for defense, behind him. I think we'll be OK.

You really need to stop thinking this team is starting off the year with a baseline of 37 wins. It makes no sense to act as if this is the exact same situation as last year. We've gone over this many times but this team will be coming into this year without JR coming off surgery and all the other issues we had last summer. Not to mention the new players, improved coaching staff and system.

This can't be anymore painful than what they went thru last year. I think the players will be patient. Knowing this is a system that might take some time to get the hang of. It's not rocket science tho. They teach this too kids. 95% of this is just working with the players on the fundamentals of the system. The footwork and thinking. It's gonna be about reps and breaking down the basic concepts. In time the players should get more and more comfortable.

Fisher is in a great situation IMO. Sure he has a lot to learn, however, he's got TONS of experience on his staff plus Phil. He's got a wealth of game experience to draw on too. Fish has some vets to work with and I think the players are ready to learn how to play winning BB after the disaster of last year. I think these players know they can perform much better than they did. Now they'll have a coaching staff that can show them how to play good BB.

once they learn how to play in this system, they won't be lost on the court as they often were last year.

knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
9/1/2014  1:50 AM
Unfortunately when running the triangle every piece on the floor IS a key component, especially ones that might play 30 mog or more.

I really do believe some folks are gonna be severely disappointed.

The team has to play the games under a system that will fully test them as basketball players. The younger guys likely will be more committed as they haven't had experience in the NBA with much else, but it's very naive to think the vets on the team will be fully committed if things arent working after a period of time.

Secondly, there's a reason why NOBODY runs the triangle offense.

The primary reason why no one runs the triangle offense is because it is very time consuming to learn, but if the team has superior talent they can still win games while also learning the system at the same time. And this on top of most bigs cant pass, only have a face up game and either can score but cant rebound, rebounds well but has no offensive game. And most teams look to push the tempo looking that quick score.

Fisher certainly has time to implement the triangle, but he'll have to implement it TWICE, once this season and next since it will likely take two years to learn AND provide another course for the free agents who'll replace the guys who are expiring.

A team with Jordan and Pippen can win games with merely a decent coach and an inferior system as evident that the Bulls were in the Eatern Conference Finals the year before Phil Jackson took over as he was there as Collins top assitant. The Bulls top two players werent flawed in either side of the ball and were highly versatile. Each could play the role of any 2-3 positions on any given night AND defend those positions.

Now take Kobe and Shaq, they werent flawed on either side of the ball either. Shaq and Kobe being great in scoring from the post, both defend their position well, superior rebounders for their positions, and Kobe especially had the versatility to play any backcourt position as well as small forward similar to Jordan and Pippen, also with the ability to defend those positions.

Del Harris got Kobe and Shaq to the WCF prior to Phil as well.

This is where the Knicks WILL have issues, they arent superior in talent...melo is the only one in that category, they are heavily flawed, and not very versatile with their top players, and the majority do not play defense, and have little interest in rebounding and are not WILLING passers. The triangle requires players who are adept at ALL those factors as the top performers for the most part the starters.

And thats not taking into having a high IQ which this core certainly lacks.

This isnt what Phil was used to when he took over teams, Fisher has played in the playoffs almost every year he's been in the league.

I do think those two are up for it, but it certainly will not be easy and will take alot of time.

nixluva
USA
9/1/2014  2:47 AM
knickscity wrote:Unfortunately when running the triangle every piece on the floor IS a key component, especially ones that might play 30 mog or more.

Are we to believe that we should be worried about Jose playing PG cuz he won't be able to contribute in this system?
Why can't Jose be an effective player in this system? Is he any less of a player than Paxson or Kerr? GEEZ where do you guys get this crap from?

knickscity wrote:The team has to play the games under a system that will fully test them as basketball players. The younger guys likely will be more committed as they haven't had experience in the NBA with much else, but it's very naive to think the vets on the team will be fully committed if things arent working after a period of time.

The primary reason why no one runs the triangle offense is because it is very time consuming to learn, but if the team has superior talent they can still win games while also learning the system at the same time. And this on top of most bigs cant pass, only have a face up game and either can score but cant rebound, rebounds well but has no offensive game. And most teams look to push the tempo looking that quick score.

Fisher certainly has time to implement the triangle, but he'll have to implement it TWICE, once this season and next since it will likely take two years to learn AND provide another course for the free agents who'll replace the guys who are expiring.

I'm pretty sure that the players on this team to a man will be solidly bought into this and in it for the long haul. Fish has a good staff and he also has Phil. I can't imagine the team being in better hands in terms of getting the Triangle taught and off to a good start.

MORE IMPORTANTLY you are assuming that you know more about this than Phil Jackson himself. He's taken on this challenge and I believe he's spent a considerable amount of time researching this roster and the make up of it's players. From what i've seen and read about Phil, he's a very deep thinker and wouldn't enter into this lightly. I can only imagine the amount of knowledge a man with his experience has in being in situations like this. Phil has been at the bottom before. He didn't just have top teams and not know what it's like to have to build something from nothing.

knickscity wrote:A team with Jordan and Pippen can win games with merely a decent coach and an inferior system as evident that the Bulls were in the Eatern Conference Finals the year before Phil Jackson took over as he was there as Collins top assitant. The Bulls top two players werent flawed in either side of the ball and were highly versatile. Each could play the role of any 2-3 positions on any given night AND defend those positions.

Now take Kobe and Shaq, they werent flawed on either side of the ball either. Shaq and Kobe being great in scoring from the post, both defend their position well, superior rebounders for their positions, and Kobe especially had the versatility to play any backcourt position as well as small forward similar to Jordan and Pippen, also with the ability to defend those positions.

This is where the Knicks WILL have issues, they arent superior in talent...melo is the only one in that category, they are heavily flawed, and not very versatile with their top players, and the majority do not play defense, and have little interest in rebounding and are not WILLING passers. The triangle requires players who are adept at ALL those factors as the top performers for the most part the starters.

This isnt what Phil was used to when he took over teams, Fisher has played in the playoffs almost every year he's been in the league.

I do think those two are up for it, but it certainly will not be easy and will take alot of time.

Again I think you're assuming that Phil doesn't know all of this. He sat and watched this team with his own eyes and i'm pretty sure he also watched tons of film as well. Phil is a BB junky. He doesn't just roll the ball out and expect things to work perfectly cuz he's got great talent.

Just cuz this team underperformed last year doesn't mean that they don't have some talent. Phil and his coaches are here to get that talent to operate at it's best. This is where we all get to learn what we really have. IMO Phil believes many of these guys can play much better. Fish says he expects to make the playoffs. It's all on them and the players to make it happen. There's no reason this team shouldn't be able to accomplish that.

CrushAlot
USA
9/1/2014  9:09 AM
TT, not going to get into a quote fest but in your earlier post you had this to say about the impact Lin would have on a crowd.
How would you feel if you were a non Knick and at your home court and the crowd is cheering wildly for the opposing point guard?
Do you think that is sustainable? Lin was very much available for a team willing to take on his deal this summer. It seems if this was a sustainable quality a player had other teams would desire it no? Also, I disagree about the value of the point guard. Lin is being paid 15 million in a league with a salary cap. His skills and other qualities are not a value at a 15 million dollar price tag especially when you consider fines and restrictions teams accrue for going over the cap.
knickscity
USA
9/1/2014  11:07 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/1/2014  11:09 AM
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:Unfortunately when running the triangle every piece on the floor IS a key component, especially ones that might play 30 mog or more.

Are we to believe that we should be worried about Jose playing PG cuz he won't be able to contribute in this system?
Why can't Jose be an effective player in this system? Is he any less of a player than Paxson or Kerr? GEEZ where do you guys get this crap from?

Are you comparing a player you think will start to reserve bench players? Kerr NEVER started a single game for the Bulls and averaged in the low 20's in minutes. Kerr was NOT a key component. Once Fisher sees that atrocious defense that will likely be Calderon's role though.

And without a doubt Paxson was miles ahead of Calderon. Not only was he a terrific shooter, career 50% shooter, solid from three, and a good defender something Calderon is NOT. No one had to worry about Paxson starting, he held his own on both ends. But once the Bulls were ready for contention, they put their best out there and Pax while being a good contributor had a lesser role in minutes.

knickscity wrote:The team has to play the games under a system that will fully test them as basketball players. The younger guys likely will be more committed as they haven't had experience in the NBA with much else, but it's very naive to think the vets on the team will be fully committed if things arent working after a period of time.

nixluva wrote:I'm pretty sure that the players on this team to a man will be solidly bought into this and in it for the long haul. Fish has a good staff and he also has Phil. I can't imagine the team being in better hands in terms of getting the Triangle taught and off to a good start.
A good majority of these players wont even be here for the long haul.

It doesnt matter who is running the show if you have subpar, inefficient flawed talent. it's a different world for Phil and Fish here. There is no MJ and Pip or Shaq and Kobe to ride on when things get rough, and Melo isnt in either of those players category.

nixluva wrote:MORE IMPORTANTLY you are assuming that you know more about this than Phil Jackson himself. He's taken on this challenge and I believe he's spent a considerable amount of time researching this roster and the make up of it's players. From what i've seen and read about Phil, he's a very deep thinker and wouldn't enter into this lightly. I can only imagine the amount of knowledge a man with his experience has in being in situations like this. Phil has been at the bottom before. He didn't just have top teams and not know what it's like to have to build something from nothing.

Phil has never coached a team that featured so much marginal talent...never. I dont question Phils mind, but I know what he's had to work with. This is the same team Phil called clumsy, he knows this is NOT the group to get things done and he slowly moving them out. To be honest even though he re-signed Melo, Melo was one of the main reasons why he called the team clumsy because his current style of play defeats team basketball. Now while Melo will go along with the plan....wait til the losing starts, that will be the test.

knickscity wrote:A team with Jordan and Pippen can win games with merely a decent coach and an inferior system as evident that the Bulls were in the Eatern Conference Finals the year before Phil Jackson took over as he was there as Collins top assitant. The Bulls top two players werent flawed in either side of the ball and were highly versatile. Each could play the role of any 2-3 positions on any given night AND defend those positions.

nixluva wrote: Again I think you're assuming that Phil doesn't know all of this. He sat and watched this team with his own eyes and i'm pretty sure he also watched tons of film as well. Phil is a BB junky. He doesn't just roll the ball out and expect things to work perfectly cuz he's got great talent.

Just cuz this team underperformed last year doesn't mean that they don't have some talent. Phil and his coaches are here to get that talent to operate at it's best. This is where we all get to learn what we really have. IMO Phil believes many of these guys can play much better. Fish says he expects to make the playoffs. It's all on them and the players to make it happen. There's no reason this team shouldn't be able to accomplish that.

Phil stated this team needed talent while he was getting in the loop, oh how we so forget. Phil knows this particular group isnt that good, and doesnt expect to keep this group.

See this is your issue, you think things are automatic just because Phil and Fish are in the background, when they take alot of time. And it still depends on TALENT, which this team sorely lacks.

I told you this last year, I knew this team was garbage while you sat hear preaching and posting videos of how great things could be and NONE of that worked out, just like I knew it wouldnt. No team with so many inexperienced players and no VETS will ever win in this league, and they didnt.

There should be zero expectations for things to be any different from THIS group. Now once Phil has the resources to reshape the team, only then can expectations be higher, but not until then.

Playoffs are not a lock. No reasons? I have mutliple.

1)New system which will take time to learn.

2)managing ego's of players he wont be playing much at all.

3)expected poor defense

4)too many expirers/option players who will have their own agendas if they are seeking new deals. Amare, Bargnani, JR, Shump, Dally Jason Smith, Outlaw

Bottom line....Phil will have virtually an entirely new team next season and beyond. Expectatations for THIS current group...zero.

My advice to you....dont blame Phil and Fish when this team struggles, like you did last year with Woodson.

It always takes talent, brains and heart on the court, no team has won without it regardless of system.

knickscity
USA
9/1/2014  11:16 AM
CrushAlot wrote:TT, not going to get into a quote fest but in your earlier post you had this to say about the impact Lin would have on a crowd.
How would you feel if you were a non Knick and at your home court and the crowd is cheering wildly for the opposing point guard?
Do you think that is sustainable? Lin was very much available for a team willing to take on his deal this summer. It seems if this was a sustainable quality a player had other teams would desire it no? Also, I disagree about the value of the point guard. Lin is being paid 15 million in a league with a salary cap. His skills and other qualities are not a value at a 15 million dollar price tag especially when you consider fines and restrictions teams accrue for going over the cap.

His cap hit is 8.5, his 15 mil salary is irrelevant in respect to the salary cap.
knickscity
USA
9/1/2014  11:28 AM
As far as Lin goes though, he will be a free agent next season and I wouldnt be too surprised if Phil didnt give him a look. Everyone knows he's team oriented, has improved his game on offense, is a willing defender, and has the capability of putting up a big game when needed.

Fisher knows it first hand. regardless of how anyone views him, Lin is a quality player.

CrushAlot
USA
9/1/2014  11:53 AM
knickscity wrote:As far as Lin goes though, he will be a free agent next season and I wouldnt be too surprised if Phil didnt give him a look. Everyone knows he's team oriented, has improved his game on offense, is a willing defender, and has the capability of putting up a big game when needed.

Fisher knows it first hand. regardless of how anyone views him, Lin is a quality player.

I think he has a good year in LA. It will be interesting to see what type of offers he gets next year.
nixluva
USA
9/1/2014  12:26 PM
knickscity wrote:It doesnt matter who is running the show if you have subpar, inefficient flawed talent. it's a different world for Phil and Fish here. There is no MJ and Pip or Shaq and Kobe to ride on when things get rough, and Melo isnt in either of those players category.

knickscity wrote:Phil has never coached a team that featured so much marginal talent...never. I dont question Phils mind, but I know what he's had to work with. This is the same team Phil called clumsy, he knows this is NOT the group to get things done and he slowly moving them out. To be honest even though he re-signed Melo, Melo was one of the main reasons why he called the team clumsy because his current style of play defeats team basketball. Now while Melo will go along with the plan....wait til the losing starts, that will be the test.

Last year was a disaster but it didn't have to be like that and they didn't lose for the reasons you're going on about. You want to make this about the talent and it wasn't because of the talent that this team played as poorly as they did to start the year. No way this team had 3-13 talent!!! You just want to talk like you knew the team was doomed but if Woodson wasn't all over the place and messed with mentally by Dolan, or if JR was ready to play and not still hobbled by injury, or if Tyson didn't break his leg, or if Felton didn't have home issues etc. There's no way that team loses like it did. They were losing games that they had double digit leads in.

ATLANTA — The Knicks blew a 17-point third-quarter lead and likely their season Saturday. Their disastrous four-game Southeast road trip ended in a spectacular collapse against the Hawks, 107-98, at Philips Arena.

The Knicks blew a 14-point, third-quarter lead in Orlando on Friday and put on an equally depressing encore after seizing control against the Hawks, then folding, which has been their modus operandi this season. They are 21-35 — sinking to a low mark of 14 games under .500 — and have no lottery pick as saving grace

Knicks blow big lead in loss to shorthanded Cavaliers. Cleveland refused to accept defeat as they erased a 17-point deficit that was accrued in the first half. Jack and Waiters had 31 points and 22 points, respectively. It was a season high for Jack, who was filling in for injured point guard Kyrie Irving.

Knicks blow 25-point lead but beat Bucks 90-83

Knicks blow big lead but edge Bulls 83-78

Knicks Blow Late Lead, Lose in OT. Paul George made three throws to tie it with 5.2 seconds left in regulation, then scored nine of his season-high 35 points in overtime as the Indiana Pacers pulled out a 103-96 victory Wednesday night over the New York Knicks, who dropped their sixth straight at home.
Knicks Blow Late Lead, Lose in OT

This isn't even counting the many close losses where bad coaching or dumb player mistakes cost the team wins. Teams with no talent don't keep getting out to big leads on teams. You didn't have any special analysis to back up your thoughts on the team, you just got lucky that things fell apart. There was enough talent to be a playoff team last year if they simply didn't kill themselves night after night when they should've closed teams out. This is why they finally got it together late in the year and finished 16-7. If they don't start the year 3-13 and playing like idiots, that was a playoff team.

babyKnicks
Member: #1191
USA
9/1/2014  1:00 PM
Calderone is better than lin.
Let's go Knicks. That's amare
F500ONE

9/1/2014  1:54 PM
knickscity wrote:Phil stated this team needed talent while he was getting in the loop, oh how we so forget. Phil knows this particular group isnt that good, and doesnt expect to keep this group.

See this is your issue, you think things are automatic just because Phil and Fish are in the background, when they take alot of time. And it still depends on TALENT, which this team sorely lacks.

I told you this last year, I knew this team was garbage while you sat hear preaching and posting videos of how great things could be and NONE of that worked out, just like I knew it wouldnt. No team with so many inexperienced players and no VETS will ever win in this league, and they didnt.

There should be zero expectations for things to be any different from THIS group. Now once Phil has the resources to reshape the team, only then can expectations be higher, but not until then.

3)expected poor defense

4)too many expirers/option players who will have their own agendas if they are seeking new deals. Amare, Bargnani, JR, Shump, Dally Jason Smith, Outlaw

Bottom line....Phil will have virtually an entirely new team next season and beyond. Expectatations for THIS current group...zero.

My advice to you....dont blame Phil and Fish when this team struggles, like you did last year with Woodson.

It always takes talent, brains and heart on the court, no team has won without it regardless of system.

He knickscity you know less than Phil

Nix knows more than Carlisle

Remember this very important rule

Meanwhile your reply here is

Billy Crystal//// Marvelous

So nix was packing and distributing last year

Raymond Felton led Knicks the same way he is Calderon led Knicks this year

I wonder where he had our projected win total last year

Was it between 40-45gms or 45-50gms

If the latter, here we have the Triangle and Calderon's true difference

Which wouldn't be much at all depending where he projected, maybe what Bonn stated

3gms at best, we'll win between 34-40gms this yr

You outlined very succinctly why

Something else to consider

When brainstorming why Carmelo hasn't been able to

Achieve peak winning results reflecting more on his past

One of the reasons mentioned, he's played with too many different rosters

He's a Knick now roster keeps turning over and will ever more

After this season concludes but there is no reservations

At the moment this will continue to haunt Melo

Why, the triangle and Calderon are here to save us and Melo

I agree with everything you wrote

Phil will continue the churning

It's going to take some time

I think he can get it done, but he needs to make everything count

From here on to 2015

As of now we're not close to where we need to be

knickscity
USA
9/1/2014  2:06 PM
nixluva wrote:
knickscity wrote:It doesnt matter who is running the show if you have subpar, inefficient flawed talent. it's a different world for Phil and Fish here. There is no MJ and Pip or Shaq and Kobe to ride on when things get rough, and Melo isnt in either of those players category.

knickscity wrote:Phil has never coached a team that featured so much marginal talent...never. I dont question Phils mind, but I know what he's had to work with. This is the same team Phil called clumsy, he knows this is NOT the group to get things done and he slowly moving them out. To be honest even though he re-signed Melo, Melo was one of the main reasons why he called the team clumsy because his current style of play defeats team basketball. Now while Melo will go along with the plan....wait til the losing starts, that will be the test.

Last year was a disaster but it didn't have to be like that and they didn't lose for the reasons you're going on about. You want to make this about the talent and it wasn't because of the talent that this team played as poorly as they did to start the year. No way this team had 3-13 talent!!! You just want to talk like you knew the team was doomed but if Woodson wasn't all over the place and messed with mentally by Dolan, or if JR was ready to play and not still hobbled by injury, or if Tyson didn't break his leg, or if Felton didn't have home issues etc. There's no way that team loses like it did. They were losing games that they had double digit leads in.

ATLANTA — The Knicks blew a 17-point third-quarter lead and likely their season Saturday. Their disastrous four-game Southeast road trip ended in a spectacular collapse against the Hawks, 107-98, at Philips Arena.

The Knicks blew a 14-point, third-quarter lead in Orlando on Friday and put on an equally depressing encore after seizing control against the Hawks, then folding, which has been their modus operandi this season. They are 21-35 — sinking to a low mark of 14 games under .500 — and have no lottery pick as saving grace

Knicks blow big lead in loss to shorthanded Cavaliers. Cleveland refused to accept defeat as they erased a 17-point deficit that was accrued in the first half. Jack and Waiters had 31 points and 22 points, respectively. It was a season high for Jack, who was filling in for injured point guard Kyrie Irving.

Knicks blow 25-point lead but beat Bucks 90-83

Knicks blow big lead but edge Bulls 83-78

Knicks Blow Late Lead, Lose in OT. Paul George made three throws to tie it with 5.2 seconds left in regulation, then scored nine of his season-high 35 points in overtime as the Indiana Pacers pulled out a 103-96 victory Wednesday night over the New York Knicks, who dropped their sixth straight at home.
Knicks Blow Late Lead, Lose in OT

This isn't even counting the many close losses where bad coaching or dumb player mistakes cost the team wins. Teams with no talent don't keep getting out to big leads on teams. You didn't have any special analysis to back up your thoughts on the team, you just got lucky that things fell apart. There was enough talent to be a playoff team last year if they simply didn't kill themselves night after night when they should've closed teams out. This is why they finally got it together late in the year and finished 16-7. If they don't start the year 3-13 and playing like idiots, that was a playoff team.

Not sure why you're focussing on the 3-13 start...what were you expecting when the starting center broke his leg during the third game? A win streak? During that same game they gave up two 30+ first half quarters to the freaking Bobcats, a team that couldnt break 100 to save their life had well over 60 at the half.

Those guys were demoralized losing close games....recall the team meetings after losing to the Bobcats? Who calls a players only meeting after the first week of the season? Weak minded players.

"We shut the door after the game and talked it out a little bit and tried to figure out what was happening," Anthony said Friday.

Anthony's message to his teammates was direct.

"We've got to want it, we've got to want to do it. We've got to believe in ourselves, and right now we're playing like we don't even believe in ourselves," Anthony said. "It's just effort."

"Nobody is happy right now," Raymond Felton said on "The Michael Kay Show" on ESPN New York 98.7 on Thursday. "We weren't expecting to be 1-3.

"All I can say to the fans is we do apologize. I am speaking on behalf of myself and my teammates. We do apologize for the way we have been playing. We are not playing Knicks basketball right now. We understand that. We are going to play harder, we are going to play better. It's early on in the season. Just be patient with us."

Felton agreed with Anthony's assertion that the Knicks lack intensity, which is a startling admission for a team that is just four games into an 82-game season.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/9946227/carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-players-meeting-just-effort

Guess those were words of hot air since they lost 8 straight shortly after.

But anyway, not even sure why you're quoting how many leads the team blew...thats what losers do they blow leads and they also lose 22 games by double figures. The Knicks were garbage last year, which was EASY to predict.

The might be marginally better this season, but knowing this cast...I doubt it if they stay the same.

knickscity
USA
9/1/2014  2:21 PM
F500ONE wrote:
knickscity wrote:Phil stated this team needed talent while he was getting in the loop, oh how we so forget. Phil knows this particular group isnt that good, and doesnt expect to keep this group.

3)expected poor defense

He knickscity you know less than Phil

Nix knows more than Carlisle

Remember this very important rule

Meanwhile your reply here is

Billy Crystal//// Marvelous

So nix was packing and distributing last year

Raymond Felton led Knicks the same way he is Calderon led Knicks this year

I wonder where he had our projected win total last year

Was it between 40-45gms or 45-50gms

If the latter, here we have the Triangle and Calderon's true difference

Which wouldn't be much at all depending where he projected, maybe what Bonn stated

3gms at best, we'll win between 34-40gms this yr

You outlined very succinctly why

Something else to consider

When brainstorming why Carmelo hasn't been able to

Achieve peak winning results reflecting more on his past

One of the reasons mentioned, he's played with too many different rosters

He's a Knick now roster keeps turning over and will ever more

After this season concludes but there is no reservations

At the moment this will continue to haunt Melo

Why, the triangle and Calderon are here to save us and Melo

I agree with everything you wrote

Phil will continue the churning

It's going to take some time

I think he can get it done, but he needs to make everything count

From here on to 2015

As of now we're not close to where we need to be

I recall my dialogues with nix last year, he was spouting off about how the old guys did nothing, this is the same team...bargnani would be so superb only to look like a complete fool when i told him this team was worse. I heard so much "this team is younger and more athletic, they obviously are better". I'm pretty sure he was praising felton, i was as well...even the 54 win team looked like poop without him when his hand was injured.

Now as far as Melo goes, there is a reason why he doesnt have playoff success either by team or individually....he does nothing great. He's a 2nd fiddle being touted as primary, and anyone can easily see the difference when the playoffs roll around, and last year it proved he cant take margin talent anywhere like the true top players in the league can. When you have a guys like lets say LeBron, do you ever question can his team make the playoffs? No, titles are the expectation no matter who he plays with.

Even to a lesser degree did anyone question whether OKC would make the playoffs without Westbrook? Hell no.

Does melo have even one great moment as a Knick in the playoffs? A signature win? No.

Perhaps Phil and Fish can change that, but it wont be happening this season...that will take a complete overhaul and a hope that top talent want to play with this guy.

I can see no way that the Knicks are much better than last season because point guard change. Convince me or agree

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy