[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I can see no way that the Knicks are much better than last season because point guard change. Convince me or agree
Author Thread
F500ONE
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5844

9/2/2014  8:36 PM
Through debate there's never a need to testify

For your contributions, and most certainly never to quell

Being positive, however there is great need for objectivity

To have the ability to evolve seamlessly while immersed in dialogue

Spewing the company line out of a sense of duty

Takes away some of the ability to think for self

I believe the majority who post here

Feel Calderon is an upgrade over Felton

The discussion is by how much

Those who beg to differ it's in the vicinity of 10-15gms

Aren't hating on the team

To be honest I think if we win the same amount games

As last season, it's not necessarily a failure

I welcome everyone to post as much as possible

The environment here wasn't established to expurgate opinions

I've come to discover you'll learn more about the subject matter-content

If differences exist

AUTOADVERT
RonRon
Member: #246
9/2/2014  9:32 PM    LAST EDITED: 9/2/2014  9:46 PM
it is never by one player, especially when not in Lebron/Jordan/Durant/Kobe or Hakeem/Shaq/Duncan etc type talent
You still need a TEAM and a collection of talents, even a YOUNG KOBE needed a YOUNG SHAQ or a versatile Pau Gasol/Odom/Ariza and a TOP 3 Center at the time in Bynum in order to be contenders
Prior to that, he was scoring 82 points, multiple 50pt games, and The Laker's were still losing
So he appreciated Phil Jackson's triangle/coaching much more after that, realizing as good as he was, he still needs his team mates to play well and he needs to be able to LEAD them there

With Calderon, he could play both PG/SG effectively as a floor spacer/facilitator
Unlike Pablo, he actually could penetrate and finish a bit, though it isn't his strength
Like Pablo, he also knows how to RUN a team both on and off the court, playing with and off the ball *skills that players tend to not develop in this new generation* , and because of that I see Calderon as a huge upgrade, able to help develop our young guns and possibly a PG of our future, hoping we can attain Tony Wroten to either be that player or be the 6th man role at both PG and SG

He is a combo guard but actually has PG skills already, with great speed/quickness/strength/athleticism/handle to go with his ability to penetrate and finish, run a team, and facilitate
I can see Calderon helping the development of Larkin in the meantime, possible to boost him up and dump him to gain more value/cap space
Phil Jackson always has prefferred size at the PG position with the likes of

Ron Harper *who I wanted to be part of our development squad since he was part of the Bulls and Laker's Championship rings*
Brian Shaw *who I still want as our lead assistant over Kurt Rhambis when his contract runs out, he simply doesn't have the talent to run the Triangle, hoping he gets released and joins our staff*

Though he did also have versatile skilled talents G/F's playing the point like

Jordan/Pippen/Kukoc

Kobe/Odom/Gasol/Walton *Ariza's versatility on both ends, playing anywhere from SG to PF on OFF, and defending 4 positions at any given time at his prime*

In Chicago he had players like Kerr/Paxson, Jud Buchler

On the Laker's he had players like Shasha Vucevec, Farmer, and Fisher *who was never a good penetrator but a very good shooter and facilitated well, despite not being physical talented as others*

The Triangle itself, will present players with OPEN 3pters, easy baskets, and great floor spacing, though he had DOMINANT/EFFICIENT scorers to play OFF of their stars
Players like Robert Horry/Kerr and out players must develop their open shot

We are looking to build chemistry, develop talents, develop coaching, and acquire talent/assets in the mean time, while builiding that "winning culture"
It takes time, even Kobe/Shaq took time at their primes, but after their core including Gasol/Odom understood it, they perfected it and execucted it very well

We simply are not there yet
We didn't even assemble the roster yet, after assembling roster, we still need to acquire the role players/ like Horry's/Kerr's/Jud Buchler/Brian Williams/Lonley etc
It takes time, patience, and lots of work ahead of us, along with mastering the system with those players/talents and building chemistry

I would not mind dumping his contract in a year or 2 though especially if he we acquire Wroten and future PG's, and is shown the ropes by Calderon
His contract could be used to match salaries, after paying CA that type of money, we need to find cheap yet talented players to compensate while being able to match up vs Cleveland/Bulls/Bobcats/Wizards/Toronto in the East, Pacer's if Paul George is able to recover, if not they are cursed with the Knick's

Lets say we resign Kmart on unguaranteed contract, along with fillers, 2015 and 2018 1st rounders, other assets, and persue Noah/Durant in trades, with CA recruitment to NYK!
Just like Lebron reached out to Kevin Love, uniting Uncle Drew with Wes, Lebron *Sprite, so can't make a commercial with Nate RObinson too*

With Noah, another injury to Derrick Rose and it could happen, as Noah would realize he doesn't have many great years left
With Durant, maybe another injury or headbunt with Westbrook, horrible coaching in Brooks, or lacking funds in OKC to not support and willingly go over the tax to build a contender

They would need to WANT to come to NYK and push the issue though
IT COULD HAPPEN!

StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

9/3/2014  8:16 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/3/2014  8:16 AM
nixluva wrote:
Uptown wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
knickstorrents wrote:I actually can't read too much of Nixluva's posts, they are generally too long and they all basically say the same thing - KNICKS ROCK THEY ARE BETTER THIS YEAR HERE'S WHY!!! I usually just skip them over. Sorry Nixluva.

Unfortunately It's not just Nix who is predictable. Been skimming through some posters for a while now since I know exactly what they are going to say

Everyone on this board says the same thing, generally standing by the their beliefs. If you're getting the same response in different threads, it's because someone is still in doubt, or only looking at it from their own prospective.

Exactly- we're all repeating ourselves at this point. I enjoy nixluva posts- I like some positivity.

Same....

Thx guys. I figure on ULTIMATE KNICKS it should be ok to talk positively about the team. There's already enough negative crap that happened on the court. Gotta at least try to see the silver lining for a new season with all the changes since Phil's come on board.

I think there are enough positive changes for us to discuss in this dead period. Gotta like the young assets Phil was able to grab. The new coaching staff looks promising. Seven new players to discuss. I mean it's not the same team in many ways. IMO Phil made decent moves to make things better!

Positivity is great. In fact as a fan being positive even in rough times is important. However i also think its important to be objective if not a tad bit critical if its necessary. I consider myself a positive fan BUT I also have no problem pointng out a players weaknesses or not being too much of a homer. When it comes to the upcoming season i see us as a playoff team between 42-45 wins. In my honets opinion i dont think we will go far BUT next year after Phil has salary cap flexiility i feel we can take a big step in 2015-16
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
9/3/2014  9:21 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Uptown wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:
knickstorrents wrote:I actually can't read too much of Nixluva's posts, they are generally too long and they all basically say the same thing - KNICKS ROCK THEY ARE BETTER THIS YEAR HERE'S WHY!!! I usually just skip them over. Sorry Nixluva.

Unfortunately It's not just Nix who is predictable. Been skimming through some posters for a while now since I know exactly what they are going to say

Everyone on this board says the same thing, generally standing by the their beliefs. If you're getting the same response in different threads, it's because someone is still in doubt, or only looking at it from their own prospective.

Exactly- we're all repeating ourselves at this point. I enjoy nixluva posts- I like some positivity.

Same....

Thx guys. I figure on ULTIMATE KNICKS it should be ok to talk positively about the team. There's already enough negative crap that happened on the court. Gotta at least try to see the silver lining for a new season with all the changes since Phil's come on board.

I think there are enough positive changes for us to discuss in this dead period. Gotta like the young assets Phil was able to grab. The new coaching staff looks promising. Seven new players to discuss. I mean it's not the same team in many ways. IMO Phil made decent moves to make things better!

Positivity is great. In fact as a fan being positive even in rough times is important. However i also think its important to be objective if not a tad bit critical if its necessary. I consider myself a positive fan BUT I also have no problem pointng out a players weaknesses or not being too much of a homer. When it comes to the upcoming season i see us as a playoff team between 42-45 wins. In my honets opinion i dont think we will go far BUT next year after Phil has salary cap flexiility i feel we can take a big step in 2015-16

Exactly. If all I wanted was positivity, I'd just watch and replay Dolan interviews all day.

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/3/2014  10:19 AM
I focus on the positive but I do make note of negative points. It just gets lost in all the arguments I have with people who are mostly negative. Then I have to defend my points and it makes it seem like I'm only positive. This is false. I've bashed Melo in the past, Dolan, Woodson, Felton, Tyson, JR, TD ETC. I'm not always positive, it just seems that way cuz I'm often defending a positive aspect of the team.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/3/2014  10:29 AM
TeamBall wrote:
nixluva wrote:
Uptown wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:

Same....

Keep doing what you're doing nix. I haven't been able to post much over the summer but I enjoyed reading your posts.

+1

Bonn1997
USA
9/3/2014  12:11 PM
nixluva wrote:I focus on the positive but I do make note of negative points. It just gets lost in all the arguments I have with people who are mostly negative. Then I have to defend my points and it makes it seem like I'm only positive. This is false. I've bashed Melo in the past, Dolan, Woodson, Felton, Tyson, JR, TD ETC. I'm not always positive, it just seems that way cuz I'm often defending a positive aspect of the team.

Interesting. Why not go equally out of your way to defend criticisms of players when people seem to ignore them? Given that this is a fan website, I'd expect there to be far more opportunities to defend criticisms (since most fans don't want to hear this) and far less need to repeat optimism.
F500ONE

9/3/2014  12:34 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
nixluva wrote:I focus on the positive but I do make note of negative points. It just gets lost in all the arguments I have with people who are mostly negative. Then I have to defend my points and it makes it seem like I'm only positive. This is false. I've bashed Melo in the past, Dolan, Woodson, Felton, Tyson, JR, TD ETC. I'm not always positive, it just seems that way cuz I'm often defending a positive aspect of the team.

Interesting. Why not go equally out of your way to defend criticisms of players when people seem to ignore them? Given that this is a fan website, I'd expect there to be far more opportunities to defend criticisms (since most fans don't want to hear this) and far less need to repeat optimism.

Once fans arachnid senses kick in, players aren't

Part of a long term future, hands off

Are we home free to say, players with

Expiring contracts are going to draw more ire from fans this yr

With no firm to back them up

or like DK mentioned, ad hominem bubbles forth

If any attempts to plant a flag encouraging looking

At a broader scope of a situation

If the optimism falls on a cycle,

This is where I question the root genuineness

Had Felton and Tyson not been traded

The spin would have been Phil was going to reach them

smackeddog
Member: #883
9/3/2014  1:49 PM
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Why do people have to justify optimism? it's a nice outlook to have and thinking the Knicks will do well this year isn't hurting anyone. Everything's subjective- cynics think they're simply being 'objective' or realistic , optimists think they are being objective or realistic- it's all guesswork at this point. Even physics is based on a chaos theory outlook- no matter what happened last year, the slightest changes over summer can have cascade effect- things could be better this season, worse or the same. We can guess but we won't know what will happen til it happens.

And please stop writing your posts with the layout of a poem- my brain keeps reading them in the style it reads poems!

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
9/3/2014  4:07 PM

Amen

ES
Bonn1997
USA
9/3/2014  4:33 PM
smackeddog wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Why do people have to justify optimism? it's a nice outlook to have and thinking the Knicks will do well this year isn't hurting anyone. Everything's subjective- cynics think they're simply being 'objective' or realistic , optimists think they are being objective or realistic- it's all guesswork at this point. Even physics is based on a chaos theory outlook- no matter what happened last year, the slightest changes over summer can have cascade effect- things could be better this season, worse or the same. We can guess but we won't know what will happen til it happens.

And please stop writing your posts with the layout of a poem- my brain keeps reading them in the style it reads poems!

Justifying optimism should be done for the same reason justifying pessimism should be.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
9/3/2014  4:39 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

Justifying optimism should be done for the same reason justifying pessimism should be.

Exactly

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
9/3/2014  5:16 PM
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

This is what gets me started. Why make the crass assumption that my take on the team is all spin? I make a very detailed case anytime I make a thread. I base it on the evidence at hand and the intangibles as well. It's not "spin" to give Phil credit for helping players perform better as a team. It's what he does. No fairy dust, just smart, solid BB principles.

Why is it spin to suggest that players of any talent level can improve by playing TEAM BB??? Since when is it not legit to give credit to a man with 11 Titles? Are we to just ignore Phil's vast knowledge and skills as a coach and leader of men? Fish played under Phil about 10 years and Rambis and Cleamons are top assistants with 1st hand knowledge of how Phil got it done! This staff is VASTLY better than last years coaches IMO. Who could Woody lean on for advice?

I think Phil set out to balance the roster and make it more amenable to running the Triangle! I think he did a good job considering the limitations he had. Players are coming to camp in better shape from what I'm reading. There are some good changes that have taken place so far. That's not spin. It's facts!!!

F500ONE

9/3/2014  9:10 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:

I don't think there's a need to justify either way

But when you see GTFOH and WTF every 3rd exchange or so

It makes the other side wonder, if they should

Go before the court of law to defend their case

smackeddog
Member: #883
9/4/2014  3:53 AM
TripleThreat wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote: Not sure why the hate on Lin. I mean im not a Lin fan but to be fair Linsanity was one of the few bright spots the Knicks have had since 2000 sadly

Why do abusive parents say to their children, "I treat and treated you like an adult! It's tough love. I held you to adult standards so you could grow up and be ready to face the world!"

When you treat a child like an adult and have adult expectations, it absolves you from the responsibility from having to raise them, teach them and prepare them for life. It's the standard mantra of the neglectful selfish absentee abusive parent.

Why do people see other people, even neighbors, even family, abuse their kids and say, "Hey it's not my business, I don't know what's really going on, I shouldn't interfere in how someone raises their kids"

When you speak up, you commit yourself to having to DO SOMETHING you have an issue about.

Holding Lin to the standards of a 7th year NBA veteran ( you'll notice very few of Lin's critics here want to point out he was a 2nd year player, playing heavy minutes at that level which was nothing he had experienced before in the NBA, and that given so little playing time in his Golden State tenure that he was essentially a rookie on the court)

Holding Lin to a veteran standard makes the comparison to Carmelo Anthony seem less brutal.

I mean it says something, something not so great about you as an Alpha player and franchise player and supposed leader for your franchise when an undrafted player, at the end of the bench, shows more leadership and leads the team to wins and galvanizes the fanbase and you couldn't.

Back to the issue of Lin created a "home court" during road games. During Linsanity, it became clear that many players seemed irked at getting constant Lin questions. The 2nd matchup with the Nets was very telling. Deron Williams hit a ton of three pointers, but in doing so, neutralized his offense. It was clear he wanted to prove he could beat Lin and rack up the stats. His post game interview was hilarious, when Lin question after Lin question was asked and you could see the anger seeping into Deron William's face. But what can you expect from a selfish shot jacking coach killer like Williams? (I mean when the beloved Jerry Sloan would rather go fishing than deal with you any longer, after 20 years in the NBA trenches, what does that say about you as a player and leader?)

This is an advantage on court with Lin, when other players go out of their game, defy their game plan and offensive/defensive sets to try to one up Linsanity on an individual level. That's something you can exploit.

I was asked who would offer more value this year to the Knicks, Lin or Calderon. Calderon simply cannot offer those aspects on the court. He can't offer the extra contact that Lin will and does get away with because of the marketing impact. Do you think Stern tried to globalize the game and get an international, esp Asian audience only to watch Lin foul out in the 3rd quarter of some game?

The officiating around Lin has to be very guarded and very precise. Calderon doesn't offer that. Lin can create antagonism by ego driven players who need the spotlight more, getting into their heads, that can be used to your advantage on the court.

Minimizing Lin helps to avoid the question of why Melo, after a decade in the league, can't do even some of the very simple things required of leaders and franchise players.

Are you really comparing the treatment of Lin to child abuse? Jesus. And with a Melo conspiracy thrown in there too. It's posts that this that lead to people bashing Lin- I liked Lin when he was here but reading exaggerated stuff like the above makes me want to counter balance it by pointing out all his flaws.

Gsus
Member: #4459

9/4/2014  4:45 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/4/2014  5:05 AM
Let's see, we got rid of a coach who didn't utilize any kind of system. When he was brought here, many people pointed this out. He had a nickname for his go to play, for crying out loud, called Iso-Joe. It wasn't a revelation that he utilized this on the Knicks, considering he had one of the best one on one scorers in the game..that's all you need to know how suck he was.

Add Felton to the equation, a pg with no savvy, and one who had bias. His main objective was to get the ball to Melo, or find JR, the two guys Woodson loved. Felton was smart, by doing this, he made sure he was on good terms with the coach, the leader and the knucklehead. Time and time again, guys like Iman, Prigioni and Bargnani were frozen out. Also, just by watching Felton's demeanor, I could tell he was one of those whining pussies that you come across at the playground. They suck, and constantly make bad plays, but act like it's never their fault, they always have an excuse...somebody didn't catch the pass, somebody didn't cut, somebody didn't....but it's never his fault, oh, and when he does admit to a mistake, something is always hurting. I've seen plenty of phonies like him. Good riddance.

Say what you will about Bargnani, his mid range jay was lethal. Even Marbury had a lot of success in the limited time he played with Kieth Van Horn and even Micheal ****ing Doleac, but Felton was too stupid to see this and so was his coach, and they never utilized it like they should have. As a matter of fact, it was actually Melo who got Bargnani the best looks, but again, Woodson didn't use the Melo/Bargnani pick and pop enough.

We are better just because of the fact that two morons, whose job it was to run the team, are no longer here. A guy who had no system combined with an idiot who doesn't know how to run a team....of course it's going to be a disaster. It's not a coincidence that we had the best season in years when ONE OF THE BEST POINT GUARDS OF ALL TIME WAS HERE. THAT'S how garbage Felton is, that a 40 year old ****ing guy can do a better job than him. Just look at Tyson, a man with no skills whatsoever, but was still effective and didn't get in the way while playing with CP3 and Kidd compared to Felton, who didn't know how to lead and get players in the proper position to succeed. He's the definition of a goddamn dumbass.

So now we have a system, one in which the pg who replaces him can shoot at a 45 percent clip, and a coach who is going to live and die by the system because there is a guy watching who did it 11 TIMES THAT WAY, I don't see how we can possibly be worse than last year.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
9/4/2014  6:36 AM
smackeddog wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:
StarksEwing1 wrote: Not sure why the hate on Lin. I mean im not a Lin fan but to be fair Linsanity was one of the few bright spots the Knicks have had since 2000 sadly

Why do abusive parents say to their children, "I treat and treated you like an adult! It's tough love. I held you to adult standards so you could grow up and be ready to face the world!"

When you treat a child like an adult and have adult expectations, it absolves you from the responsibility from having to raise them, teach them and prepare them for life. It's the standard mantra of the neglectful selfish absentee abusive parent.

Why do people see other people, even neighbors, even family, abuse their kids and say, "Hey it's not my business, I don't know what's really going on, I shouldn't interfere in how someone raises their kids"

When you speak up, you commit yourself to having to DO SOMETHING you have an issue about.

Holding Lin to the standards of a 7th year NBA veteran ( you'll notice very few of Lin's critics here want to point out he was a 2nd year player, playing heavy minutes at that level which was nothing he had experienced before in the NBA, and that given so little playing time in his Golden State tenure that he was essentially a rookie on the court)

Holding Lin to a veteran standard makes the comparison to Carmelo Anthony seem less brutal.

I mean it says something, something not so great about you as an Alpha player and franchise player and supposed leader for your franchise when an undrafted player, at the end of the bench, shows more leadership and leads the team to wins and galvanizes the fanbase and you couldn't.

Back to the issue of Lin created a "home court" during road games. During Linsanity, it became clear that many players seemed irked at getting constant Lin questions. The 2nd matchup with the Nets was very telling. Deron Williams hit a ton of three pointers, but in doing so, neutralized his offense. It was clear he wanted to prove he could beat Lin and rack up the stats. His post game interview was hilarious, when Lin question after Lin question was asked and you could see the anger seeping into Deron William's face. But what can you expect from a selfish shot jacking coach killer like Williams? (I mean when the beloved Jerry Sloan would rather go fishing than deal with you any longer, after 20 years in the NBA trenches, what does that say about you as a player and leader?)

This is an advantage on court with Lin, when other players go out of their game, defy their game plan and offensive/defensive sets to try to one up Linsanity on an individual level. That's something you can exploit.

I was asked who would offer more value this year to the Knicks, Lin or Calderon. Calderon simply cannot offer those aspects on the court. He can't offer the extra contact that Lin will and does get away with because of the marketing impact. Do you think Stern tried to globalize the game and get an international, esp Asian audience only to watch Lin foul out in the 3rd quarter of some game?

The officiating around Lin has to be very guarded and very precise. Calderon doesn't offer that. Lin can create antagonism by ego driven players who need the spotlight more, getting into their heads, that can be used to your advantage on the court.

Minimizing Lin helps to avoid the question of why Melo, after a decade in the league, can't do even some of the very simple things required of leaders and franchise players.

Are you really comparing the treatment of Lin to child abuse? Jesus. And with a Melo conspiracy thrown in there too. It's posts that this that lead to people bashing Lin- I liked Lin when he was here but reading exaggerated stuff like the above makes me want to counter balance it by pointing out all his flaws.

Wow.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
StarksEwing1
Member: #4451

9/4/2014  7:42 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
TripleThreat wrote:

Wow.
Why is Lin even being discussed in this particular thread. he has been gone for a couple years now. I was a big fan of the Linsanity streak he was on when we had all those injuries. However i have moved on because as a Knick fan we have our own issues with our team so Lin doesnt really matter anymore
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/4/2014  8:23 AM    LAST EDITED: 9/4/2014  8:23 AM
StarksEwing1 wrote:
Why is Lin even being discussed in this particular thread. he has been gone for a couple years now. I was a big fan of the Linsanity streak he was on when we had all those injuries. However i have moved on because as a Knick fan we have our own issues with our team so Lin doesnt really matter anymore

+1. The Lin mentions correspond to the kNugget mentions, which, thankfully are actually starting to die down. Until Moz has another good game. Or Gallo makes another behind the back pass. Or the Mayor hits another three.

God help us if Felton has a 12 assist game for Dallas.

Always remember, pessimism/Melohate does not need to be justified on a Knick fan site.

knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
9/5/2014  5:58 AM
jrodmc wrote:Always remember, pessimism/Melohate does not need to be justified on a Knick fan site.

That's good because I get a lot of enjoyment from bashing an overrated player who doesn't make his teammates better! Thanks!

Rose is not the answer.
I can see no way that the Knicks are much better than last season because point guard change. Convince me or agree

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy