[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I can see no way that the Knicks are much better than last season because point guard change. Convince me or agree
Author Thread
Papabear
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1414

8/28/2014  10:00 AM
Papabear Says

We have a new point guard added who can't guard but can shoot at 34 years old. Many teams in the East have made upgrades better than ours. They are young and fast. I see movements and changes, trades by teams everyday but we are stuck in quicksand. Phil can't move because no one wants what we have. I believe that this will be a loosing season if Phil can't make a few more moves that can better the team. I look around the east and making the playoffs this season is not guaranteed. If Shump don't improve his shooting, Hardaway don't learn to defend,Jr Smith don't have a 6th man award season and our power forwards don't get any backbone I can't see use improving that much. So whats the big upgrade??

Papabear
AUTOADVERT
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
8/28/2014  10:05 AM
papabear, you need to cheer up.

"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/28/2014  10:08 AM
Papabear, giving in to the starphucque mentality. We need to do something! Anything!

We went from the worst PG in the league,
Calderone
Prigs (Did Prigs suddenly become the most out of shape Knick in your world?)
Larkin
(with possible PG cameos by a focused, faster, hungrier Shump? Hey, I can dream.)

$124 Million dollar skinny Melo.
Yoots! We have Yoots!
Amare and Bargs playing for their collective lives!
The Cole Aldrich breakout season! Our doofy white boy can make those passes!
IF all stay healthy and mentally adjusted, we are stacked at SG! Does that not count for anything?

The glass is more than half full, my friend.

Papabear

8/28/2014  1:15 PM
jrodmc wrote:Papabear, giving in to the starphucque mentality. We need to do something! Anything!

We went from the worst PG in the league,
Calderone
Prigs (Did Prigs suddenly become the most out of shape Knick in your world?)
Larkin
(with possible PG cameos by a focused, faster, hungrier Shump? Hey, I can dream.)

$124 Million dollar skinny Melo.
Yoots! We have Yoots!
Amare and Bargs playing for their collective lives!
The Cole Aldrich breakout season! Our doofy white boy can make those passes!
IF all stay healthy and mentally adjusted, we are stacked at SG! Does that not count for anything?

The glass is more than half full, my friend.

Papabear Says

Ha Ha Ha Ha thats funny. I like that.

Papabear
Papabear

8/28/2014  1:17 PM
nyk4ever wrote:papabear, you need to cheer up.

Papabear Says

Don't get me wrong. I am happy. I plan to go to at least 10 Knick games this season. I was just wondering.

Papabear
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/28/2014  1:36 PM
Papabear wrote:Papabear Says

Don't get me wrong. I am happy. I plan to go to at least 10 Knick games this season. I was just wondering.

Are you going to actually watch them play though?

smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
8/28/2014  2:36 PM

We have a new point guard added who can't guard but can shoot at 34 years old. Many teams in the East have made upgrades better than ours. They are young and fast. I see movements and changes, trades by teams everyday but we are stuck in quicksand. Phil can't move because no one wants what we have. I believe that this will be a loosing season if Phil can't make a few more moves that can better the team. I look around the east and making the playoffs this season is not guaranteed. If Shump don't improve his shooting, Hardaway don't learn to defend,Jr Smith don't have a 6th man award season and our power forwards don't get any backbone I can't see use improving that much. So whats the big upgrade??

Last year:

This year:

Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
8/28/2014  2:51 PM
OMG, Papa's views are fitting within the mainstream range among American sports analysts! I never thought this day would come!
Papabear

8/28/2014  3:21 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:OMG, Papa's views are fitting within the mainstream range among American sports analysts! I never thought this day would come!

Papabear Says

Ha Ha Ha don't try it! I'm still a Knicks Luva Just a concerned Luva

Papabear
Cartman718
Member: #1694

8/28/2014  3:31 PM
Papabear wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:OMG, Papa's views are fitting within the mainstream range among American sports analysts! I never thought this day would come!

Papabear Says

I think we might see Larkin start for the Knicks midway through the season. We cannot go into the playoffs with Calderon as our PG. Playoff defense would crush Calderon.

Nixluva is posting triangle screen grabs, even when nobody asks - Fishmike. LOL So are we going to reference that thread like the bible now? "The thread of Wroten Page 14 post 9" - EnySpree
Bonn1997
USA
8/28/2014  3:55 PM
Papabear wrote:

Papabear Says

Of course. No one here should ever feel the need to even state that.
Sangfroid
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #2784

8/28/2014  7:23 PM

Papabear, I'm taking the "addition by subtraction" approach. As the season wore on, I began to hate Tyson Chandler. Either he was sick, bitching or giving his half-ass efforts. He's gone, and Aldrich can give his eight rebound effort with the same amount of minutes. His favorite PG went with him, another big disappointment. I haven't seen much of Calderone or Dalembert but they will at least come in with new energy.

"We are playing a game. We are playing at not playing a game..."
Bonn1997
USA
8/28/2014  7:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/28/2014  7:38 PM
Sangfroid wrote:

Papabear, I'm taking the "addition by subtraction" approach. As the season wore on, I began to hate Tyson Chandler. Either he was sick, bitching or giving his half-ass efforts. He's gone, and Aldrich can give his eight rebound effort with the same amount of minutes. His favorite PG went with him, another big disappointment. I haven't seen much of Calderone or Dalembert but they will at least come in with new energy.

And they combined for an on-off +/- of -9.6 per game last year! They aren't going to look much better if you go to previous years either.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/28/2014  8:48 PM
You have to also project this group of players together in this system and not just how they have performed individually in the past. I think this group of players fit together very well. This isn't a defensive juggernaut to be sure, however, there is no reason this team shouldn't be a very strong offensive team. The defense won't be any worse than it was already. The Knicks were 24th in defense last year despite Tyson being here. The Knicks were 11th in offense Rating. I believe they can be more efficient offensively. IMO that will only help the defense when the offense isn't struggling to be consistent and execute properly. Just remember how many games they lost in the 4th qtr just from stupidity and a lack of execution.

Jose can shoot and move the ball. He doesn't have to break his man down or be ball dominant. He just has to be that player who when he gets the ball he makes the right decision with the ball. He'll get a lot of plays where he can use his skills in the 2 man game in Pinch Post or in early offense looks. Despite the offense minimizing the amount of time the PG has the ball dribbling, it doesn't mean he won't get a ton of opportunities to make plays as the ball is swung and he has to work off the dribble hand off and still need to make plays.

Bonn1997
USA
8/28/2014  9:26 PM
nixluva wrote:You have to also project this group of players together in this system and not just how they have performed individually in the past.

No way. There aren't enough samples of different rosters playing with the triangle system to make that assumption. You just have a few samples of teams with hall-of-famers.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/28/2014  9:41 PM
So for anyone who think Phil Jackson and/or Derek Fisher are these super smart magicians and basketball gods and gurus, here's something to chew on. The Knicks could have won with D'Antoni. They didn't need to shell out 60 million for Captain Eleven Rings. Though Jackson is nice to have. They were WINNING with Pringles. Linsanity wasn't just about Lin, it was about team ball, synergy, everyone "buying in" ( well everyone on the court), discipline and tough heady defense.
The Linsanity thing was nice but there is a huge difference between winning 7 games against teams who had a combined record of 73-115 and bringing in a guy that has won 11 championships as a coach. Only two of those seven teams had records over .500. The other three had a combined record of 45-93. Dantoni coached the team for 288 games.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/28/2014  10:37 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
So for anyone who think Phil Jackson and/or Derek Fisher are these super smart magicians and basketball gods and gurus, here's something to chew on. The Knicks could have won with D'Antoni. They didn't need to shell out 60 million for Captain Eleven Rings. Though Jackson is nice to have. They were WINNING with Pringles. Linsanity wasn't just about Lin, it was about team ball, synergy, everyone "buying in" ( well everyone on the court), discipline and tough heady defense.
The Linsanity thing was nice but there is a huge difference between winning 7 games against teams who had a combined record of 73-115 and bringing in a guy that has won 11 championships as a coach. Only two of those seven teams had records over .500. The other three had a combined record of 45-93. Dantoni coached the team for 288 games.

I love MDA and his system, but it's a very specific system that is predicated on a very specific type of roster. You must have a good PG who can run PnR at a high level and see the court, plus also be able to score the ball effectively. He needs shooters of course and a Stretch PF who can play away from the basket to open up the floor. MDA needs owner and GM cooperation in order to make his system work. If you aren't going to fully support him in building a team that can excel in his system then you shouldn't hire him. The Olympians LOVE playing MDA system and they show the system being played at it's absolute best.

The key issue is that MDA is not a coach who molds men in the way Phil tries to do. He doesn't want to get into a players head and try to change the way he plays. MDA would much rather have a very mature and team oriented player who wants to play team ball. He doesn't like wrangling disobedient or resistant players. Phil is also a system coach, but he is much more equipped to handle dealing with a players frame of mind. Phil tries many ways to get his players to open up their minds to new things and to see things differently.

Phil has brought in some of his guys who where with him when he won Titles. They know exactly how he wants things done and the little things that lead to a winning franchise. This doesn't ignore the fact that Phil had some really talented teams, but IMO he was able to prove that his way of doing things was successful with different rosters over the years. I think Phil has more than proven he knows how to get a team playing well. He has Fish and his staff ready to bring his way of doing things to a new generation. Fish will possibly bring some fresh ideas and i'm sure some tweaks that will help with how things are done nowadays.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
8/28/2014  10:44 PM

Believe not in the triangle?

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/28/2014  11:20 PM
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

I love MDA and his system, but it's a very specific system that is predicated on a very specific type of roster. You must have a good PG who can run PnR at a high level and see the court, plus also be able to score the ball effectively. He needs shooters of course and a Stretch PF who can play away from the basket to open up the floor. MDA needs owner and GM cooperation in order to make his system work. If you aren't going to fully support him in building a team that can excel in his system then you shouldn't hire him. The Olympians LOVE playing MDA system and they show the system being played at it's absolute best.

The key issue is that MDA is not a coach who molds men in the way Phil tries to do. He doesn't want to get into a players head and try to change the way he plays. MDA would much rather have a very mature and team oriented player who wants to play team ball. He doesn't like wrangling disobedient or resistant players. Phil is also a system coach, but he is much more equipped to handle dealing with a players frame of mind. Phil tries many ways to get his players to open up their minds to new things and to see things differently.

Phil has brought in some of his guys who where with him when he won Titles. They know exactly how he wants things done and the little things that lead to a winning franchise. This doesn't ignore the fact that Phil had some really talented teams, but IMO he was able to prove that his way of doing things was successful with different rosters over the years. I think Phil has more than proven he knows how to get a team playing well. He has Fish and his staff ready to bring his way of doing things to a new generation. Fish will possibly bring some fresh ideas and i'm sure some tweaks that will help with how things are done nowadays.

Great post.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
knickstorrents
Member: #3050
Hong Kong
8/28/2014  11:27 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
The Knicks made the wrong choice. The best choice was keeping Lin, letting him be the primary player and trading Melo for supporting assets. Instead the Knicks are saddled with a guy who has shown money to come here and money to stay here means more than winning.

Lin played the game the right way. Lin invested and pushed for team ball. Lin lead, not because his contract size said so, but because winning meant more than anything else. He didn't need a 60 million dollar GM to tell him that. He didn't need over a decade in the league to get into shape. He didn't run to his agent and strongarm the franchise to cull off anyone else who had the gall to play well and get more attention than him.

This can be a productive Knicks season, if fans can temper their expectations and see the long game.

Wow an assessment I agree with on this board, please post more!!!

Rose is not the answer.
I can see no way that the Knicks are much better than last season because point guard change. Convince me or agree

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy