[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Should Ewing have done what Gary and Karl did?
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/28/2004  4:05 PM
Toward the end of his career, take a paycut to go to a team that can win the championship? If I were him, I would have done it. Sure, it would mean taking some criticism from people who think you're just "buying" a ring, but it would be worth it to have the ring and not spend the rest of my life hearing that what separated me from the best all time players is that I never won a ring.
AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
5/28/2004  4:11 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Toward the end of his career, take a paycut to go to a team that can win the championship? If I were him, I would have done it. Sure, it would mean taking some criticism from people who think you're just "buying" a ring, but it would be worth it to have the ring and not spend the rest of my life hearing that what separated me from the best all time players is that I never won a ring.

Thats a tainted ring. If your the man on a team then go and become a role player or bench player the ring really doesn't mean that much. Its an accomplishement but the people really remember the main players. Malone and Payton man get the ring this year but they will know that it wasn't their team it was Shaq and kobe's team.

I respect Patrick Ewing for not getting a cheap ring. He would only have been vindicated if he got the ring as the main player or atleast the second player on the team.
s3231
Member: #544
USA
5/28/2004  4:31 PM
Ewing kind of did try to do what Gary and Karl did by signing with Orlando. Orlando was suppossed to have a healthy Grant Hill that year and if they did (along with Doc playing Ewing more which he should've done) then they probably would've contended for a title. Now it wouldn't have been as cheap as what Karl and Gary are doing but he would still be the 3rd option on that team.

[Edited by - s3231 on 05/28/2004 16:34:45]
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
5/28/2004  5:02 PM
Like I said when I first herd about Payton & Malone signing with LA. Them winning a ring should not add to there greatness. I wonder what Stockton feels about Malone about to win a ring.

Ewing winning a ring anywhere else exept NY wouldn't feel right. Jazz fans probably feel the same way about Malone.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/28/2004  5:30 PM
good topic.

I think Karl and Gary are kitty cats(since the "p" word would get edited).

I think if Karl and Payton get a ring this year they need to apologize to their fans and the basketball fans alike, especially the Laker fans. They don't care about the game they figured since they couldn't beat the best they might as well play with them.

That's like Ewing going to play with Indiana for the veteran minimum just to get to the Finals again.

I would think Seattle fans and Utah fans hate the Lakers and they should hate Karl and Payton just the same.

I would rather go out without a ring then join one of your hated rivals just to get a ring. Where is the pride of saying we tried to beat them but couldn't?

Like if Ewing signed with the Bulls for the minimum instead of re-signing with the Knicks.....Ewing would be shot on sight if he were to come back to NY.

Where is their pride?

Barkley tried to do it and failed when he tried to get down with Hakeem and Pippen. But the thing with that is Barkley didn't take much of a pay cut.

I would rather go off into the sunset a loser.....so to speak.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
5/29/2004  9:18 AM
The rings that Malone and Payton will soon be wearing will be cheap and somewhat meaningless. If the Lakers actually needed these two to win, it might be a different story. But all they ever really needed was decent role players to surround Shaq and Kobe.

It would have sickened me to see Ewing put himself in a situation where winning was a sure thing. His entire career was about hard work, and facing near impossible odds(aka Michael).

Malone, Payton, and Jackson should be very grateful, and a little ashamed of themselves.

Good topic.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
5/30/2004  3:53 AM
Posted by ToddTT:

The rings that Malone and Payton will soon be wearing will be cheap and somewhat meaningless. If the Lakers actually needed these two to win, it might be a different story. But all they ever really needed was decent role players to surround Shaq and Kobe.

It would have sickened me to see Ewing put himself in a situation where winning was a sure thing. His entire career was about hard work, and facing near impossible odds(aka Michael).

Malone, Payton, and Jackson should be very grateful, and a little ashamed of themselves.

Good topic.

I agree, but only if Ewing just sat on the bench and won. If he contributed then it would be different. Malone and Payton are contributing and they are starters. Without them you can argue the Lakers would not beat the Spurs as they couldn't do last season.
Bonn1997
USA
5/30/2004  3:57 AM
I agree, but only if Ewing just sat on the bench and won. If he contributed then it would be different. Malone and Payton are contributing and they are starters. Without them you can argue the Lakers would not beat the Spurs as they couldn't do last season.

I agree 100%. You don't have to score 30 PPG to have earned your rings. Malone is a HUGE part of any success the Lakers have. (Payton, on the other hand, isn't really playing better than Fisher. Analysts need to stop refering to them as the "big 4"; It's really the big two or maybe three)

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/30/2004 03:59:55]

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/30/2004 04:00:22]
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
5/30/2004  4:06 AM
but Payton did a nice job on Parker after the first 2 games and he had a big game this series against the wolves to help the Lakers win. Sounds like contribution to me.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
5/30/2004  8:05 AM
Yo Guns: You signature is stupid and its time you change it.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Bonn1997
USA
5/30/2004  9:05 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

but Payton did a nice job on Parker after the first 2 games and he had a big game this series against the wolves to help the Lakers win. Sounds like contribution to me.
One good game out of every four games is not really a contribution. It's less than the bare minimum you expect from a starter.

Yo Guns: You signature is stupid and its time you change it.
But Isiah and Lenny are listening to him; they obviously need his advice (sarcasm)

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/30/2004 09:07:27]
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
5/31/2004  12:10 AM
they say the spurs first championship a few years ago had an "*" on it due to the talent level. while i personally don't believe that, this championship "if the lakers are to get it" would have one on payton's and malone's rings.
with that being said, do you guys think that say guys like ewing, barkley, or stockton's legacy would in any way be tainted because they did'nt get a championship ring? doubt it! champions are not measured by weather they got a pretty ring or not. it's measured by what you did to get to your status, what you did to help others around you be better players, not having to go to an already established championship contender and take the easy way out.
i've always hated malone due to his being the dirtiest player i've ever seen, but i lost all respect for gary when he decided to do the same. malone and payton will always be loosers in my eyes, no mater how much jewelry they "buy"! NEW YORK LOVE!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/31/2004  12:33 AM
I don't think the lakers win without Malone. He did a great job on Duncan and is holding ok against Garnett.

Payton is garbage on that team, just not needed.

Ewing did not expect to fall apart as he did. He wanted to prove he was still "the man" and lead another team.

Foolish pride. Too bad.

Bonn1997
USA
5/31/2004  12:52 AM
I don't think the lakers win without Malone. He did a great job on Duncan and is holding ok against Garnett.

Yeah, he's a very important player on the team.

Let me ask another question: If Reggie Miller in his reduced role were to win a ring this year would it be any more genuine than if Malone and Payton do? The only difference is that Reggie didn't change teams and didn't take a paycut. (BTW, I always thought taking a paycut because you cared about nothing other than winning was an admirable thing to do)
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
5/31/2004  6:46 PM
The contributions of Malone and Payton are meaningless. With Kobe and Shaq healthy you could replace Malone and Payton with any non-bum forward and guard, and the Lakers will win.

Malone and Payton are not doing an admirable thing(boo hoo they took a pay cut)... they are doing a sure thing.

They are still great players, but I'll remember them for what they did in Utah and Seattle. This year doesn't count in my book.

Likewise Phil Jackson is not the greatest coach in history. Anyone on this board could coach the Lakers to a championship.
daddynel
5/31/2004  10:38 PM
taking a pay cut to help your team in some way probably would be an admirable thing in some cases. "your team". now if you take a pay cut to go to an already established championship team, w/two future hall of fame players, thats a different story. that's the easy way out.
Bonn1997
USA
6/1/2004  12:06 AM
Posted by daddynel:

taking a pay cut to help your team in some way probably would be an admirable thing in some cases. "your team". now if you take a pay cut to go to an already established championship team, w/two future hall of fame players, thats a different story. that's the easy way out.
So if Malone had signed with the Lakers for $10 mil a year, then you'd respect what he did?
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
6/1/2004  12:14 AM
That's obviously not what he's saying.

If Malone signed for $10 million or $2 it's still him jumping ship in Utah and trying to ride Kobe and Shaq's coattails to get a ring.
#Knickstaps
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/1/2004  12:19 AM
Posted by EnySpree:

good topic.

I think Karl and Gary are kitty cats(since the "p" word would get edited).

I think if Karl and Payton get a ring this year they need to apologize to their fans and the basketball fans alike, especially the Laker fans. They don't care about the game they figured since they couldn't beat the best they might as well play with them.

That's like Ewing going to play with Indiana for the veteran minimum just to get to the Finals again.

I would think Seattle fans and Utah fans hate the Lakers and they should hate Karl and Payton just the same.

I would rather go out without a ring then join one of your hated rivals just to get a ring. Where is the pride of saying we tried to beat them but couldn't?

Like if Ewing signed with the Bulls for the minimum instead of re-signing with the Knicks.....Ewing would be shot on sight if he were to come back to NY.

Where is their pride?

Barkley tried to do it and failed when he tried to get down with Hakeem and Pippen. But the thing with that is Barkley didn't take much of a pay cut.

I would rather go off into the sunset a loser.....so to speak.

I agree, I consider payton and malone to be "hangers on" they (especially malone) are on their last legs trying to win a ring, any way they can. Hey if that suits them then fine. But when the argument comes up about great players and people say Barkley and Ewing aren't great but Payton and Malone are because of winning rings, I am not buying it!!!!
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
daddynel
6/2/2004  10:07 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by daddynel:

So if Malone had signed with the Lakers for $10 mil a year, then you'd respect what he did?
first let's clarify one thing, I will never respect malone. can't repect a dirty b%&#ch like that.
now, if he signed w/the lakers for $10mil then it would be obvious that the lakers wanted and persued him. not just a future HOFer knocking on the lakers' door saying "i'll play for you for the minimum for a free ring"....."phil"......"pleeez"......"i'll suk yo ".
Should Ewing have done what Gary and Karl did?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy