[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

We have zero big men signed next year
Author Thread
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/25/2014  10:29 AM
jrodmc wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:That's probably a good thing. Not saying our bigs will be a bust next season, but we will have the cap space in 2015 to upgrade the position if we need to, Phil will make room. Maybe this is Phil's plan, audition these bigs, maybe sign one to a longer deal, if a player is worth one, and jettison the rest.

+1
Dalembert and Bargs could both be gone, or Dalembert finishes his career on our bench through a series of one year deals, transitioning to becoming the new Herb. Bargs is no long term answer at C, no matter how irrelevant the position becomes. And the more irrelevant it becomes in Triangularity, the more useless his level of salary will be. There's probably some dopey owner (other than ours) willing to pay him 8-10MM for hopes and dreams.

I think Cole is all that's worth keeping long term.

No matter what, I just hope to God we don't get to watch Amare at the 5 again.

I agree about Amare at the 5, although I wouldnt mind seeing what Bargs can do at center in this system. I do agree he isn't a long term answer however.

AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #883
8/25/2014  10:42 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/25/2014  11:17 AM
babyKnicks wrote:I have the feeling. Hibbert will be a knick next year.

Hope not- he's mentally fragile and goes through prolonged spells of self doubt (not just last year), so playing in NY would be an absolute disaster for him- the media and all the constant scrutiny would annihilate him

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/25/2014  10:45 AM
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:I have no problem with Phil giving troubled players a chance, but JR is so far beyond the pale when it comes to lacking character that I believe even Phil wants no part of him beyond next season. I know Im just guessing here. I have no respect for Tyson for the reasons you gave, Shump has been in the league long enough to be able to make a fing layup. He is so athletic, he could be one of the best SGs in the league if he were as concerned with his game as he is with his image. Maybe that changes next season, hope so.

This is the whole point of having Phil, Fish and the staff here. It's not realistic to think you can just fix this team with FA's or just the draft. You have to also find a way to get more out of the talent you already have. JR is a talent in this league. He's been an idiot but he also showed his talent winning the 6th Man of the Year award. IMO that isn't even as good as he could play if taught how to play WINNING BB. That's what Phil and co. are here to do. Phil at least has some experience dealing with difficult personalities. If anyone has a chance to get thru to our players it's this coaching staff and Prez. That is a very good thing for this franchise.

As I said (and you overlooked) I have no problem giving troubled players a chance, but JR is in a league of his own. Don't think its realistic to believe that Phil/Fish can help every troubled player in this league. This team doesn't need the distraction JR has been in the past

Bynum wasnt listening to Phil or Fisher by the time he left LA and Phil got him 3 rings. If JR is having a good, season he should be tradeable, and Im guessing that Phil will make a move.

I didn't overlook what u said. I disagree with your take on JR. Bynum IMO is worse than JR! I think JR can be reached. If they do get JR focused he's a very good player to have. You may be right about Phil trading him but that doesn't happen if they can't get him turned around and if they do then why trade him?

GustavBahler

8/25/2014  11:18 AM
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:I have no problem with Phil giving troubled players a chance, but JR is so far beyond the pale when it comes to lacking character that I believe even Phil wants no part of him beyond next season. I know Im just guessing here. I have no respect for Tyson for the reasons you gave, Shump has been in the league long enough to be able to make a fing layup. He is so athletic, he could be one of the best SGs in the league if he were as concerned with his game as he is with his image. Maybe that changes next season, hope so.

This is the whole point of having Phil, Fish and the staff here. It's not realistic to think you can just fix this team with FA's or just the draft. You have to also find a way to get more out of the talent you already have. JR is a talent in this league. He's been an idiot but he also showed his talent winning the 6th Man of the Year award. IMO that isn't even as good as he could play if taught how to play WINNING BB. That's what Phil and co. are here to do. Phil at least has some experience dealing with difficult personalities. If anyone has a chance to get thru to our players it's this coaching staff and Prez. That is a very good thing for this franchise.

As I said (and you overlooked) I have no problem giving troubled players a chance, but JR is in a league of his own. Don't think its realistic to believe that Phil/Fish can help every troubled player in this league. This team doesn't need the distraction JR has been in the past

Bynum wasnt listening to Phil or Fisher by the time he left LA and Phil got him 3 rings. If JR is having a good, season he should be tradeable, and Im guessing that Phil will make a move.

I didn't overlook what u said. I disagree with your take on JR. Bynum IMO is worse than JR! I think JR can be reached. If they do get JR focused he's a very good player to have. You may be right about Phil trading him but that doesn't happen if they can't get him turned around and if they do then why trade him?

I disagree about JR, he has been a complete failure in every playoff series as a Knick. At least Bynum has delivered when the chips were down. Smtih was responsible for the death of another human being because of his recklessness, and afterward he swore he was a changed man, but he continued getting arrested over his driving habits. That's why I say that as far as character is concerned, JR is in a league of his own, and cant be trusted on or off the court.

The reason we want to trade JR when he starts playing well is that you never know when he is going to fall back on bad habits, and those bad habits always resurface. Would be great to trade him for a big to add some depth to our front line.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/25/2014  12:14 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:

I disagree about JR, he has been a complete failure in every playoff series as a Knick. At least Bynum has delivered when the chips were down. Smtih was responsible for the death of another human being because of his recklessness, and afterward he swore he was a changed man, but he continued getting arrested over his driving habits. That's why I say that as far as character is concerned, JR is in a league of his own, and cant be trusted on or off the court.

The reason we want to trade JR when he starts playing well is that you never know when he is going to fall back on bad habits, and those bad habits always resurface. Would be great to trade him for a big to add some depth to our front line.

If Rodman, and Artest manage to tone it down in order to win a ring under phils watch, then I dont see why JR can't.

I agree the dude has been a complete failure in the playoffs, but with multiple back ups, I don't think he's a high priority to get rid of, he just makes the depth chart that much deeper.

ES
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/25/2014  1:23 PM
I don't believe in anyway that JR Smith is going to be a problem.
RIP Crushalot😞
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
8/25/2014  1:26 PM
I don't see us spending big money on a single front court player.

I think Phil likes big men that are workmen like. I think Cole can develop, hopefully.

Maybe find some Euro's kicking around with decent shooting touch at the four.

I still think we need help at the PG spot.

GustavBahler

8/25/2014  1:47 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:

If Rodman, and Artest manage to tone it down in order to win a ring under phils watch, then I dont see why JR can't.

I agree the dude has been a complete failure in the playoffs, but with multiple back ups, I don't think he's a high priority to get rid of, he just makes the depth chart that much deeper.

Rodman had 2 rings before Phil, and Artest was treated for mental illness. With JR, he's given that "Im a changed man speech before, on an off the court. At some point I believe you have to cut bait before the next implosion. He doesn't handle adversity well.

Hey, I hope JR stays under control, but I'd rather not give him a role where the team's success depended on it. Would much rather have him come off the bench and not give him too many minutes.

knicks1248
8/25/2014  3:15 PM
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Rodman had 2 rings before Phil, and Artest was treated for mental illness. With JR, he's given that "Im a changed man speech before, on an off the court. At some point I believe you have to cut bait before the next implosion. He doesn't handle adversity well.

Hey, I hope JR stays under control, but I'd rather not give him a role where the team's success depended on it. Would much rather have him come off the bench and not give him too many minutes.

As high as i am on JR, i won't even argue this point, because for the most part i think your right. I mean that's been his story from day one, which is why he can't become a all star. Nothing in the world is worst than someone who's inconsistant, you just can't depend on them ever..It's like one month he playes like an all star, the next month he plays like a 6th man, the next month he plays like a 12th man, some times quarter to quarter. But even with that being said, I think he is going to have a really good yr under fish and phil

ES
BRIGGS
8/25/2014  6:46 PM
With salary cap how much better can the Knicks do than the team they have now?
RIP Crushalot😞
GustavBahler

8/25/2014  7:06 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:
GustavBahler wrote:
nixluva wrote:

As high as i am on JR, i won't even argue this point, because for the most part i think your right. I mean that's been his story from day one, which is why he can't become a all star. Nothing in the world is worst than someone who's inconsistant, you just can't depend on them ever..It's like one month he playes like an all star, the next month he plays like a 6th man, the next month he plays like a 12th man, some times quarter to quarter. But even with that being said, I think he is going to have a really good yr under fish and phil

It wouldn't surprise me either if JR played well, hopefully that will extend to the playoffs.

nixluva
USA
8/25/2014  8:49 PM
franco12 wrote:I don't see us spending big money on a single front court player.

I think Phil likes big men that are workmen like. I think Cole can develop, hopefully.

I thought for sure that we'd keep Murry around just in case. Judging from Phil's past he likes to use SG's at the PG spot and play with no actual PG at times. He did this with Ron Harper and Brian Shaw. I could see him squeezing Shump into that role. The PG is so diminished in the Triangle that you can get away with this. You don't have to have great breakdown abilities or handle in order to play PG for Phil. In the Triangle you basically have a lot of short and very basic passes. Fish was also that kind of PG, tho he was shorter, so he'd fully understand the role.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/25/2014  9:54 PM
nixluva wrote:
franco12 wrote:I don't see us spending big money on a single front court player.

I thought for sure that we'd keep Murry around just in case. Judging from Phil's past he likes to use SG's at the PG spot and play with no actual PG at times. He did this with Ron Harper and Brian Shaw. I could see him squeezing Shump into that role. The PG is so diminished in the Triangle that you can get away with this. You don't have to have great breakdown abilities or handle in order to play PG for Phil. In the Triangle you basically have a lot of short and very basic passes. Fish was also that kind of PG, tho he was shorter, so he'd fully understand the role.

Murry hasn't signed with the Jazz and they did sign Dee Bost so at this point he is still available. Also he was at Melo's workouts. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back on the Knicks if Phil can free up a roster space.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
USA
8/25/2014  10:33 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:

Murry hasn't signed with the Jazz and they did sign Dee Bost so at this point he is still available. Also he was at Melo's workouts. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back on the Knicks if Phil can free up a roster space.

Do you think he'd likely try to move Outlaw to make room?

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
8/25/2014  11:56 PM
We also have practically zero players signed for next year if we renounce rights on a lot of dudes or don't pick up options- so I'm not really concerned about this.
nixluva
USA
8/26/2014  1:30 AM
VDesai wrote:We also have practically zero players signed for next year if we renounce rights on a lot of dudes or don't pick up options- so I'm not really concerned about this.

It's gonna be hard for Phil to just gut the team in order to try and land top FA's. It seems most likely that a good many of the players we have will remain. In particular the young cheap guys. Phil is gonna have to see who is worth keeping and find new additions that will make the team better but that doesn't mean spending big dollars on one guy necessarily. I don't think that is needed to build this team up to a contender.

Raising the quality of the core of the team as well as the overall fit and chemistry is the most important thing. This year will be most instructive for Phil to see what he has and what he needs to change. I just don't see Free Agency as the only way of making it happen.

BRIGGS
8/26/2014  1:44 AM
VDesai wrote:We also have practically zero players signed for next year if we renounce rights on a lot of dudes or don't pick up options- so I'm not really concerned about this.

If we have to renounce everyone it will be hard to replace. So many teams will have cap space next year--one hope is that some of our players make it difficult to replce them

RIP Crushalot😞
knicks1248
8/26/2014  10:23 AM
If every one plays up to their potential we should be fine, essential Amare and bargs 33 million is the bulk of the cap space, if we replace one of them with a star, and re-sign one of them on the cheap, then we should be good to go. I think it also depends on what this team can do this yr, if they over achieve, then phil is going to have some tough choices to make, cause you don't want to break up a team that made it to the ECF, and you only want to twaek a team that makes to the 2nd rnd.
ES
newyorker4ever
Member: #5816

8/26/2014  11:00 AM
gunsnewing wrote:I like Mozgov over all those guys sans Marc Gasol. Didn't we have Mozgov

Soooo you don't know if Mozgov was once a Knick?? You sure you're a Knciks fan??
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
8/26/2014  11:13 AM
newyorker4ever wrote:
gunsnewing wrote:I like Mozgov over all those guys sans Marc Gasol. Didn't we have Mozgov

Soooo you don't know if Mozgov was once a Knick?? You sure you're a Knciks fan??

Didn't we have Lin?

We have zero big men signed next year

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy