[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

T-Mac: Magic need more than No. 1 (Selfish Star)
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/28/2004  11:43 AM
http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/sportstoryS0528MAGIC.htm
Having already endured a dreadful 21-61 season, McGrady told FLORIDA TODAY that he has no desire to go through a long-term rebuilding process or witness the growing pains of a kid making the leap from the preps to the pros. McGrady can opt out of his contract following next season, and says that he will have an answer as to his future in Orlando for the Magic brass by July.

He said he's "90 percent sure what he's going to do," adding that there are two teams -- the Los Angeles Lakers and the San Antonio Spurs -- that he would like to play for if he decides to leave Orlando. He stressed that the deciding factor will be the Magic's ability to significantly upgrade the roster this summer via trades, free agency and the draft.

"The dilemma for the franchise is, 'Do you want to try and win now or wait two or three years for a guy to develop?' " McGrady said from his home in suburban Orlando. "I'm just saying, I'm not trying to wait that long to win. I was in that situation last year and I just can't see going another couple of years losing and waiting on players to develop. I just don't think I can do that.

"I just think that it would be best to go get a guy ready to fill a role and contribute right away."

In addition to having to decide between taking the player most ready to contribute right away (likely Okafor) or the player with the most superstar potential (likely Howard), Orlando must also weigh the worth of the pick in a possible trade. That scenario would be the most likely to appease McGrady, the NBA's scoring champion the past two seasons. McGrady has said repeatedly that the Magic need more established veterans if they are to rebound from this year's disastrous collapse and make a serious run at the playoffs next spring.

"I absolutely don't want to be in a situation like I was this season because that was terrible," said McGrady, referring to the Magic enduring a 19-game losing streak en route to compiling the NBA's worst record. "I love Orlando because it's home and I love the fans. They have been great to me. I don't want to leave and I'm sure a lot of them don't want me to leave either.

"But if we can't change the team this summer, I just think the best thing would be for me to move on."

McGrady said an earlier report that he had given the Magic four teams he would accept a trade to was "half right." He has a close relationship with Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal, his Isleworth neighbor in the summer. And he would be interested in playing with the Spurs because of the opportunity to play alongside of two-time MVP Tim Duncan.

McGrady informed Team USA coach Larry Brown on Wednesday that he was withdrawing from the Summer Olympics in Athens because of terrorism concerns. Kevin Garnett, Jason Kidd, Ray Allen, Vince Carter and Kobe Bryant have also pulled out because of various reasons. McGrady said that he was totally taken aback Thursday morning by reports that he was opting not to play because of a pending marriage.

"I woke up and read that in the papers and I was shocked," he said with a laugh. "Next thing I know, my girl is calling me and saying, 'I didn't know we were getting married.' . . . I just had concerns about the whole thing and decided to stay home and be safe."

Speaking of safe, the safe pick in the draft for the Magic might be Okafor. He led UConn to the national championship with his rebounding and defensive toughness on the low block. Okafor's positives include his three years of college experience, his smarts and his prowess at blocking shots. But some wonder if he can ever be more than a steady player because of concerns about his size, offensive skills and lingering back troubles.

Include McGrady in that group of doubters.

"From what I'm hearing, (Okafor) is really not 6-10 and he's more like 6-8," McGrady said. "Now, if he has the heart and determination like a Ben Wallace, it won't matter how tall he is. I'm not questioning the guy's ability, but there seems to be a lot of unknowns out there now."

if you ask me, i think some may tend to question Tracy McGrady's "heart & determination" more than they would that of Emeka Okafor...

i've never seen such a freakin' WHINING, selfish baby like T-Mac in my life! this guy can't seem to grasp the fact that as the Captain of that franchise, he can't be out in the media saying stuff like this & expect to have his teammates' respect next season.

what a crybaby! i think Orlando would be best served to trade him now while they can get good value for him...he's clearly not a winner when he can't even accept some accountability for his own team's failures...he just places the blame on upper management...that's not the type of player i'd want as my franchise player...

listening to a guy like T-Mac talk about "winning" cracks me up...as if this guy had any INKLING of what it takes to be a winner in this sport...he hasn't been a winner on any level of competition as far as i know...maybe in Junior High School or something. :rolleyes:

i think T-Mac needs to keep his mouth shut on topics such as "winning", "heart", "determination" & "team"...he clearly has not 1 iota of a clue on any of those topics.

i'm sick of all these pro athletes complaining & whining about having to play for a losing team...guys like him never accept any of the blame themselves.

maybe if he had concentrated on helping his teammates play better instead of racking up his own stats, his team would have been better last year? i mean, no one is under the illusion that his team would have made the playoffs, but at least be better than what their record indicated...people talk about him as 1 of the best players in the game...until he can raise the level of the players who play w/him, i think he has more to prove to be considered among the top 3 or 4 in the game...& even if he can't, he shouldn't be saying stuff like this in the media when he's the captain of that team...

i think T-Mac needs to grow up & be a man & stop whining about what management is doing...they took a risk & it backfired bigtime when they signed Grant Hill to all that money...it doesn't help them solve it by him being a baby & threatening to leave unless they fix the problem right away...that's not what a leader does...& that's not how a winner approaches a situation like that either imo.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
flyingvee
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #405
5/28/2004  1:49 PM
Having watched all his games doen here you can see that he's a great player but not a leader. The biggest downfall this year was Doc Rivers deciding to get rid of Darrel Armstrong who was the true leader of the team and bring in Tyron Lue who I think stinks. On top of that bring in Juwon Howard to play a position being given to Gooden which screwed up his confidence a lot. True this Grant Hill thing has been a distater to the team, but then again, they brought in Ewing a H GRant a while back and Doc did not play them. We know Ewing was going down, but he could have played 24 minutes a game instead of 6. An old Ewing is way better than a DeClerq. Now I think T-Mac has talked hi way out of Orlando and with all the speculation of him uniting in Orlando with Shaq after next year is bull****. T-Mac will unite with Shaq in LA next year and Kbe can get out of there and be the leader he wants to be in Orlando. Problem solved. If Hill can comeback and add Okafur and Gooden to the mix they ar enot that bad, add a decent pg and they can make lots of noise.
TMS
USA
5/28/2004  10:29 PM
by T-Mac publicly saying that he'll only accept a trade to the Lakers or Spurs, otherwise he'll just opt out of his contract after next season & they'll lose him for nothing, what kind of position does that put the Magic in? it's either they trade the #1 pick for a veteran who can help make the Magic contenders again (not likely since no team is going to trade an elite player for a #1 pick in the draft that's not named Lebron James), or they trade T-Mac to the Lakers or Spurs for probably less value than they could have gotten elsewhere had T-Mac not been such a whiny little biznotch about his situation...

there's no way the Magic will be able to get a good enough package from the Spurs or Lakers now that everyone knows that they only have those 2 options to deal with...& Kobe Bryant would never accept a trade from the Lakers to the Magic...why would he? you think he'd want to go from a championship team to a last place team? hell no! so what other package can the Magic get now? does anyone think the Spurs will trade Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili & someone else for T-Mac? i don't know about that.

basically, he screwed the team that put their total faith in him to sign him to his lucrative contract & thought that he would be their franchise player for the rest of his career...i don't think he'll ever be a winner until he decides to grow up & accept some accountability instead of shifting the blame to others all the time...& he needs to learn that in life, you can't always get put into the most ideal situations to succeed...sometimes you actually have to WORK to make a situation successful...i guess he doesn't know anything about that.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/29/2004  12:41 AM
I do understand that T-mac does not want a team full of HS players, that is not a winning formula, I can't blame the guy for wanting to win. Every year, people thinks you can just dump players and keep rebuilding, the key to winning championships is putting guys on the floor who can play the game, constant rebuilding is for losers..Period... Now as far as Grant hill goes, he is done! cooked!! finished, If I were Orlando I would try to get the best deal I can for this guy, the spurs have nothing I would want for T-Mac if I were Orlando, and the lakers do have Kobe, but i do admit he is whining a bit here, but I do understand his frustrations, I mean 21-61? Ouch!!
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
TMS
USA
5/29/2004  9:02 AM
he doesn't just want to win...this guy wants to be traded to 2 teams only...there are other teams he can go to & win games, but he just wants to be put in the most ideal situation for himself...what options do you think the Magic have now that he's made his feelings public on this? there's no way they'll be able to trade him for Kobe, cuz LA would never do that...so obviously anything else won't get them back fair value for him...he screwed the team that gave him a max contract after he came to Orlando saying how he wanted to bring that franchise success when he signed there as a FA...i think that's pretty despicable on his part...instead of trying to help them turn things around, he decides it's not worth the trouble & wants them to trade him to 1 of the top 2 teams in the league...what a selfish baby.
TMS
USA
5/29/2004  9:32 AM
http://www.hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

"Tracy McGrady would rather quickly relocate to another team this summer than slowly rebuild with the Orlando Magic. If the Magic can't significantly improve next season by making deals -- moving their No. 1 pick for veteran players, for example -- McGrady told the Sentinel on Friday that he would "probably have no choice" but to push for a trade in mid-July to a Western Conference team. And, contrary to reports and rumors, it's not the Los Angeles Lakers or the San Antonio Spurs that McGrady is eyeing. McGrady said from his south Orlando home that the Houston Rockets likely would be his first choice should he and the Magic part ways. A league source told the Sentinel that T-Mac also would be receptive to the Indiana Pacers or the Detroit Pistons because they've had trouble scoring in the playoffs." Orlando Sentinel

"Asked about a report listing the Lakers and Spurs as teams that interest him, McGrady said, "No, not San Antonio and L.A. "I don't want to go there. I don't want to go somewhere where everything's already in place. That would be too easy. I want a challenge." Orlando Sentinel

"

totally conflicting reports that quote the man himself...somebody needs to get their stories straight on this one...if T-Mac would be amenable to a deal to a team like the Pacers, Pistons or Rockets, then i guess it takes some of the criticism away from what i posted earlier...but still doesn't erase the fact that he should be a man & accept some responsibility in trying to help improve his OWN team, being that he's their franchise player & Captain.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/29/2004  10:25 AM
my honest opinion. if i was orlando i would say FU t mac under my breath while saying i wont trade him etc.. to the media

tmac is a modern day george gervin type player hes a superior offensive talent top 3 NBA but he doesnt play a 2 way game, he's not a leader and I question his toughness. If you are not tough, if you dont have heart you are not winning. if scoring points is all it took to win championships, wilt would have 15 of them.

give me antwan jamison josh howard and marquis daniels[sign and trade for Tmac and juwan Howard] and ill go from there
RIP Crushalot😞
rojasmas
Member: #639
5/29/2004  12:19 PM
T-Mac is all about me. He will never change. He is similar to Iverson in that he wants to win only after getting his personal numbers first. It would be real hard for a team to win with him, even with another superior player alongside him.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
tkf
5/29/2004  12:29 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

my honest opinion. if i was orlando i would say FU t mac under my breath while saying i wont trade him etc.. to the media

tmac is a modern day george gervin type player hes a superior offensive talent top 3 NBA but he doesnt play a 2 way game, he's not a leader and I question his toughness. If you are not tough, if you dont have heart you are not winning. if scoring points is all it took to win championships, wilt would have 15 of them.

give me antwan jamison josh howard and marquis daniels[sign and trade for Tmac and juwan Howard] and ill go from there

Both you and TMS make some good points but I have a rule of never trading star players for regular players or just good players. T-Mac is a 25 year old star, I must get top value back and Howard, Daniels and Jamison is not top value. And TMS is right, he put orlando in a tough situation, real tough and I don't like that.. I would trade his azz to a team that is willing to give up some real good talent and not worried about losing him if he wants to bolt. I mean he would be like a 1 year rent a player. I don't think there are many teams out there that would do that, but he just put orlando in a bind....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
BRIGGS
5/29/2004  6:22 PM
The Magic would be c*mming in their pants if Dallas did that deal. They would a top tier PF who is underrated in Jamison and two high caliber lengthy young wings--thats a steal. I think that Dallas has its eyes set more on Ok4 than Tmac anyway.
RIP Crushalot😞
tkf
5/29/2004  9:38 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

The Magic would be c*mming in their pants if Dallas did that deal. They would a top tier PF who is underrated in Jamison and two high caliber lengthy young wings--thats a steal. I think that Dallas has its eyes set more on Ok4 than Tmac anyway.

come on Briggs, why should Orlando be so excited to get 3 good players and they are giving up a superstar? those 3 guys still don't get Orlando into the playoffs in the east....
BRIGGS
5/29/2004  10:53 PM
the magic won a whole 20 games with tmac and the team is regresssing. t-mac=george gervin superior offensive player who does not play 2 way basketball doesnt have the heart or guts of a champion caliber athlete

getting that package would be beautiful way to get out of this t mac fiasco-- i dont even think dallas would be willing to do it IMHO--i think they are in love with okafor and maybe be trying to do something there beauty is in the eye of the beholder and i believe that cuban and nelson think that okafor is an alonzo type player and i think they are very close to being right.

RIP Crushalot😞
tkf
5/30/2004  12:29 AM
with all the being said Briggs, Orlando still will be on the short end of the stick with that trade. They can get more and will get more elsewhere...
TMS
USA
5/30/2004  12:24 PM
if i were Orlando, i'd be on the line w/the Pacers & offer them T-Mac for Ron Artest & Al Harrington...that would be a nice trade for them to make, & combining those 2 players w/Okafor, Juwan Howard & Drew Gooden, they'd have a nice core of young players to put that franchise back to respectability in '05.
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
5/30/2004  1:52 PM
Posted by TMS:

if i were Orlando, i'd be on the line w/the Pacers & offer them T-Mac for Ron Artest & Al Harrington...that would be a nice trade for them to make, & combining those 2 players w/Okafor, Juwan Howard & Drew Gooden, they'd have a nice core of young players to put that franchise back to respectability in '05.

that's actually not that bad of a deal, but Orlando should be able to get Fred Jones out of it too... that'd be a nice core for Orlando but imagine Indy with o'neal and tmac, plus bender who is on the rise. but they do lose their best defender
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/30/2004  5:26 PM
These are actual T-Mac Quotes.
I don't want to be here rebuilding
I don't want to go somewhere where everything's already in place. That would be too easy. I want a challenge

Is he Rick James or something?

I don't want any part of Tracy McGrady. He says stuff like he is the game. Yeah he can play....by himself. He hasn't led a team. You can't win with one guy thinking he has to do everything. T-Mac talks too much.

I definately want no part of Tracy McGrady.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/30/2004  5:30 PM
Posted by TMS:

http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/sportstoryS0528MAGIC.htm
Having already endured a dreadful 21-61 season, McGrady told FLORIDA TODAY that he has no desire to go through a long-term rebuilding process or witness the growing pains of a kid making the leap from the preps to the pros. McGrady can opt out of his contract following next season, and says that he will have an answer as to his future in Orlando for the Magic brass by July.

He said he's "90 percent sure what he's going to do," adding that there are two teams -- the Los Angeles Lakers and the San Antonio Spurs -- that he would like to play for if he decides to leave Orlando. He stressed that the deciding factor will be the Magic's ability to significantly upgrade the roster this summer via trades, free agency and the draft.

"The dilemma for the franchise is, 'Do you want to try and win now or wait two or three years for a guy to develop?' " McGrady said from his home in suburban Orlando. "I'm just saying, I'm not trying to wait that long to win. I was in that situation last year and I just can't see going another couple of years losing and waiting on players to develop. I just don't think I can do that.

"I just think that it would be best to go get a guy ready to fill a role and contribute right away."

In addition to having to decide between taking the player most ready to contribute right away (likely Okafor) or the player with the most superstar potential (likely Howard), Orlando must also weigh the worth of the pick in a possible trade. That scenario would be the most likely to appease McGrady, the NBA's scoring champion the past two seasons. McGrady has said repeatedly that the Magic need more established veterans if they are to rebound from this year's disastrous collapse and make a serious run at the playoffs next spring.

"I absolutely don't want to be in a situation like I was this season because that was terrible," said McGrady, referring to the Magic enduring a 19-game losing streak en route to compiling the NBA's worst record. "I love Orlando because it's home and I love the fans. They have been great to me. I don't want to leave and I'm sure a lot of them don't want me to leave either.

"But if we can't change the team this summer, I just think the best thing would be for me to move on."

McGrady said an earlier report that he had given the Magic four teams he would accept a trade to was "half right." He has a close relationship with Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal, his Isleworth neighbor in the summer. And he would be interested in playing with the Spurs because of the opportunity to play alongside of two-time MVP Tim Duncan.

McGrady informed Team USA coach Larry Brown on Wednesday that he was withdrawing from the Summer Olympics in Athens because of terrorism concerns. Kevin Garnett, Jason Kidd, Ray Allen, Vince Carter and Kobe Bryant have also pulled out because of various reasons. McGrady said that he was totally taken aback Thursday morning by reports that he was opting not to play because of a pending marriage.

"I woke up and read that in the papers and I was shocked," he said with a laugh. "Next thing I know, my girl is calling me and saying, 'I didn't know we were getting married.' . . . I just had concerns about the whole thing and decided to stay home and be safe."

Speaking of safe, the safe pick in the draft for the Magic might be Okafor. He led UConn to the national championship with his rebounding and defensive toughness on the low block. Okafor's positives include his three years of college experience, his smarts and his prowess at blocking shots. But some wonder if he can ever be more than a steady player because of concerns about his size, offensive skills and lingering back troubles.

Include McGrady in that group of doubters.

"From what I'm hearing, (Okafor) is really not 6-10 and he's more like 6-8," McGrady said. "Now, if he has the heart and determination like a Ben Wallace, it won't matter how tall he is. I'm not questioning the guy's ability, but there seems to be a lot of unknowns out there now."

if you ask me, i think some may tend to question Tracy McGrady's "heart & determination" more than they would that of Emeka Okafor...

i've never seen such a freakin' WHINING, selfish baby like T-Mac in my life! this guy can't seem to grasp the fact that as the Captain of that franchise, he can't be out in the media saying stuff like this & expect to have his teammates' respect next season.

what a crybaby! i think Orlando would be best served to trade him now while they can get good value for him...he's clearly not a winner when he can't even accept some accountability for his own team's failures...he just places the blame on upper management...that's not the type of player i'd want as my franchise player...

listening to a guy like T-Mac talk about "winning" cracks me up...as if this guy had any INKLING of what it takes to be a winner in this sport...he hasn't been a winner on any level of competition as far as i know...maybe in Junior High School or something. :rolleyes:

i think T-Mac needs to keep his mouth shut on topics such as "winning", "heart", "determination" & "team"...he clearly has not 1 iota of a clue on any of those topics.

i'm sick of all these pro athletes complaining & whining about having to play for a losing team...guys like him never accept any of the blame themselves.

maybe if he had concentrated on helping his teammates play better instead of racking up his own stats, his team would have been better last year? i mean, no one is under the illusion that his team would have made the playoffs, but at least be better than what their record indicated...people talk about him as 1 of the best players in the game...until he can raise the level of the players who play w/him, i think he has more to prove to be considered among the top 3 or 4 in the game...& even if he can't, he shouldn't be saying stuff like this in the media when he's the captain of that team...

i think T-Mac needs to grow up & be a man & stop whining about what management is doing...they took a risk & it backfired bigtime when they signed Grant Hill to all that money...it doesn't help them solve it by him being a baby & threatening to leave unless they fix the problem right away...that's not what a leader does...& that's not how a winner approaches a situation like that either imo.

awesome post by the way I agree totally.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
TMS
USA
5/31/2004  9:15 PM
Posted by EnySpree:

I don't want to go somewhere where everything's already in place. That would be too easy. I want a challenge

I don't want any part of Tracy McGrady. He says stuff like he is the game. Yeah he can play....by himself. He hasn't led a team. You can't win with one guy thinking he has to do everything. T-Mac talks too much.

lol...i don't know why, but your reference to Rick James is funny. (still not sure how that applies, but funny regardless)

& yeah, i think it's funny that this guy says he wants a challenge, but can't even accept the challenge of helping to turn around his own franchise...he doesn't want a challenge...he wants an ideal situation to succeed.
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #575
Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
5/31/2004  10:15 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by EnySpree:

lol...i don't know why, but your reference to Rick James is funny. (still not sure how that applies, but funny regardless)

& yeah, i think it's funny that this guy says he wants a challenge, but can't even accept the challenge of helping to turn around his own franchise...he doesn't want a challenge...he wants an ideal situation to succeed.

He has said that his first choice is Houston. Doesn't seem much of a challenge to be going to play with a 24 year old 7'5 center that will dominate the league in two years.
T-Mac: Magic need more than No. 1 (Selfish Star)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy