[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How concerned would you be about Okafor's back?
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/27/2004  4:15 PM
He had a stress fracture during the season and still isn't able to work out with teams. Would you use the #1 pick to draft him? I'd probably trade the pick because I'd stay away from guys with chronic back problems.
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/27/2004  4:19 PM
Trade down, but its not like his back is a secret. Its a high school draft of potential. Can anybody step up and help?

Depend on what you look for.

"Whats Isish gonna do, Whats Isiah gonna do?"
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/27/2004  6:09 PM
if i had the number 1 pick id take Josh Smith because i think hes the best player in the draft in the long run but I also think Emeka is a sure thing to be great--- Okafor is the best 2-3 player, but likely will give the most immediate impact because he is a world apart from anyone else in this draft right now.

Would I be worried about his back? First off, the condition is not chronic[meaning it will be a repetetive problem] He has a very small fracture near here his tailbone that will close up within the next couple of months. He went to the best back doctor in the US who works for the Dallas Cowboys who assured Emeka that this would not be a chronic problem or that he could do no further harm to it while playing in the NCAA's.

I'm sure the plan of action was to let it heal as fast as possible and that likely meant reduced activity for a period of time. As far as not working out, I have no idea but Emeka has a work ethic second to none. This is a guy who has built himself up to 260 pounds and bench presses over 400 at 21 years old with no body fat while gradutaing in 3 years with a 3.8. He measured in at the USA trials at 6-9 1/4 in bare feet so all this jibber jabber about his size is meaningless. hes already made guys like Arajuo Luke Schesendger Scott May and Williams from Duke look like poor players when faced off with them.
Hes very tough explosive fast and his offensive game is extremely under-rated. I would be surprised if he doesnt come in and average something like 16 points 12 rebounds 3.5-4 blocks per 40 minutes.

Of course If I was picking I would double-triple-quadrouple the prognosis-but it's very likely that there will be nothing else to report other than if the fracture has closed up or how close it is to closure.
RIP Crushalot😞
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
5/27/2004  7:39 PM
"Of course If I was picking I would double-triple-quadrouple the prognosis-but it's very likely that there will be nothing else to report other than if the fracture has closed up or how close it is to closure."

I would do the same thing and if his health doesn't seem to be that much of an issue I would definitely draft him with the number one pick. If healthy, Okafor will make a very nice impact in his rookie year.

"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/27/2004  8:06 PM
First off, the condition is not chronic[meaning it will be a repetetive problem

Nah man....Back problems linger.....ask LJ.

He was experiencing spasms so no telling what damage he's in. With all that said I'd still draft him but not #1. Orlando could use Okafor as a center but will that be his position in the NBA?

The Knicks are not in that mix so I'm not really interested.

I say Orlando should trade down and get a few good players rather than one.

[Edited by - enyspree on 05/27/2004 20:07:31]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
How concerned would you be about Okafor's back?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy