[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

We dont have 1 big man signed past this year
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/1/2014  12:39 AM
Even if we can sign another really good player for who knows how much--if we have to renounce everyone to do it, it will leave the team greatly unbalanced and thin.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/1/2014  12:50 AM
BRIGGS wrote:Even if we can sign another really good player for who knows how much--if we have to renounce everyone to do it, it will leave the team greatly unbalanced and thin.

I think we'll be able to pick a decent big guy in next year's draft. This is also good because dudes tend to step it up in contract years. We can make plays at guys like Asik, Robin Lopez and Kosta Koufas if we miss out on Gasol next year.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

8/1/2014  3:30 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Even if we can sign another really good player for who knows how much--if we have to renounce everyone to do it, it will leave the team greatly unbalanced and thin.

I think we'll be able to pick a decent big guy in next year's draft. This is also good because dudes tend to step it up in contract years. We can make plays at guys like Asik, Robin Lopez and Kosta Koufas if we miss out on Gasol next year.

My hope is that Cole blossoms and they don't need to sign another Center. Out of the ones you mentioned I would push for Lopez because of his age and Portland's Cap situation. They can create enough space to sign all their FAs but if they do they will be capped out unless some of them take a reduction.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
8/1/2014  7:01 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

My hope is that Cole blossoms and they don't need to sign another Center. Out of the ones you mentioned I would push for Lopez because of his age and Portland's Cap situation. They can create enough space to sign all their FAs but if they do they will be capped out unless some of them take a reduction.

I am also in the Cole camp, and I'd like to think we can sign Amar'e at a greatly reduced salary- assuming he can stay healthy and contribute in a meaningful way this season.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/1/2014  9:01 AM
Briggs... its a good point. But this is the new NBA. You secure your impact players and then pick through the spare parts.

On paper for next year your looking at:
PGs: Jose, Larkin, Pablo
SGs: JR, THjr
SFs: Melo, Early
PFs: none
Cs: none

To fill out the other spots Knicks will have a first rounder and you figure somewhere between $25-$30mm in cap space. A bit less when you figure the draft pick and cap holds.

My plan would be to offer DeAndre Jordan a close to max contract right out of the gate at midnight. He's the guy we all hoped Tyson would be.

Aside from that they are just too many moving parts, too many teams with tons of cap space and empty rosters to have a clue as to how it plays out.

I would also like to see us get a pick for Shump because I dont see us paying him next year, but I also think he's going to play a pivotal role. Expect us to play a lot of small lineups.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
8/1/2014  9:04 AM
Signing Cole to a 1 year deal without a team option for a 2nd year has been my only disappointment in Phil Jackson's otherwise great summer so far. I guess the thinking is we would have his Bird rights and the cap hold will be minimal considering his salary.

If Cole has a great year though, which I think he has a very good chance to have, he will command at least 5 Million.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/1/2014  9:11 AM
nyvector16 wrote:Signing Cole to a 1 year deal without a team option for a 2nd year has been my only disappointment in Phil Jackson's otherwise great summer so far. I guess the thinking is we would have his Bird rights and the cap hold will be minimal considering his salary.

If Cole has a great year though, which I think he has a very good chance to have, he will command at least 5 Million.

this is a very fair beef. Is there anything in the CBA that says he cant offer that? Its curious for sure... having a TO on Cole for a couple mill would have been great. If he puts up 10ppg, 1.5b blocks and 10rebs (not alot of rebounding on this squad so possible) that $5mm pricetag you mention might actually be pretty cheap.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

8/1/2014  9:31 AM
fishmike wrote:
nyvector16 wrote:Signing Cole to a 1 year deal withplayert a team option for a 2nd year has been my only disappointment in Phil Jackson's otherwise great summer so far. I guess the thinking is we would have his Bird rights and the cap hold will be minimal considering his salary.

this is a very fair beef. Is there anything in the CBA that says he cant offer that? Its curious for sure... having a TO on Cole for a couple mill would have been great. If he puts up 10ppg, 1.5b blocks and 10rebs (not alot of rebounding on this squad so possible) that $5mm pricetag you mention might actually be pretty cheap.

If he starts out the year great they can always sign him to a small ext with a player option in the 2nd yr so they renegotiate in the summer of 2016 when the Knicks will have his full bird rights.

Teams should always put an team option on contracts like Cole's but maybe they tried and he said no.

We dont have 1 big man signed past this year

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy