[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Erick Greene
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/30/2014  11:12 AM
Liked him coming out last year---I think hes got real potential as a PG at a long 6-3. He played very well overseas last year and again in this SL. He is not signed yet with Denver. He's plays good 2 way basketball. If there is small deal to be made somewhere--perhaps a threeway where we move Prigs to a team looking for vet PG help--trade asset to Denver and move Greene here? I know its not a blockbuster--but small deals like this might be the way to improve for the long term without giving up anything short term.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
7/30/2014  11:25 AM
He will be signed by Denver
http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_26205303/nuggets-will-sign-point-guard-erick-green
F500ONE
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5844

7/30/2014  11:35 AM
He's the kind of guard with a talent level we were hoping to see in Toure.

Denver did very well with the Gary Harris pick too

These 2 will crack Denver's rotation.

Now players like Foye and Nate could become available, I'd take either to replace Smith

Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

7/31/2014  10:06 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/31/2014  1:29 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Liked him coming out last year---I think hes got real potential as a PG at a long 6-3. He played very well overseas last year and again in this SL. He is not signed yet with Denver. He's plays good 2 way basketball. If there is small deal to be made somewhere--perhaps a threeway where we move Prigs to a team looking for vet PG help--trade asset to Denver and move Greene here? I know its not a blockbuster--but small deals like this might be the way to improve for the long term without giving up anything short term.

I agree with what you're saying here -- would like to see a little more depth at PG to go along with Larkin (preferably someone younger with some upside); wouldn't mind moving on from Prigioni; and yeah, not every deal needs to be a blockbuster. Smaller deals to fill out the roster correctly can go a long way. Moves to fill out a roster properly are just as important as the bigger moves imo.

Looks like Green will be signing with Denver -- on the verge of a 3 yr deal supposedly. I liked him coming out of Va Tech too. MONSTER scorer his senior year and I think he's got enough skills to handle the point for stretches. Would've been nice...I'd still like to add this type of player though. I actually would've liked to have seen us take a chance on Jerryd Bayless. Same type of player -- like Green he's not a pure point, more of a scorer, but he's got enough overall skill (handle, quickness, can pass it, etc.) to handle the point for stretches if not full-time. Both around the same size (6'3"), good scorers, around the same age (Green's only about 2-3 yrs younger)..I actually think Bayless is the better athlete over Green with the better skill set. Curious to see how much Milwaukee gave Bayless and what role he winds up serving for them. If used properly (and often---dude needs an expanded role in the NBA a-la Kyle Lowry. The talent is definitely there -- he's bigger, more athletic and more talented than Lowry pound for pound), I could see this guy Bayless blowing up sky high.

Seth Curry's still out there -- he was with PHX's SL team, probably will appear on their training camp roster but he's not inked up yet. Why not clear a roster spot and swoop in and offer this kid a contract? I think he compares favorably to Erick Green. Both about 6'3", not pure points but again--they each have enough skill to man the position (Curry's handle is solid and he's actually a good passer), and both can score the ball. Green might be a hair quicker but it's negligible (I prefer to think of Seth Curry as smooth rather than unathletic, much like brother Steph). Green definitely doesn't possess this kid Curry's pure outside shooting stroke. I think Curry would work real well here in this system. The Garden crowd would love this kid too -- the first decent impact game he had, he'd be lauded in the same breath as his brother even if the comparison would be over the top). Regardless, those comparisons would be made...And with that would come big-time confidence...Would much rather carry Seth Curry as my 3rd PG over Prigioni. Worst case, Seth could be a valuable system guy in the triangle with his shooting and ball-handling. Best case, he becomes something close to his brother. "Lead guard" material, maybe something close to Jose Calderon eventually (6'3", stellar outside shooting, adequate ball-handling/passing), who knows... Either way, there's definitely more value here over an older, past-his-prime Prigioni imho. On a league minimum make good contract, Seth Curry is a no-brainer for us.

Tough to get all that excited about Prigioni man -- I know he's on the team and they like him but why exactly? Why for this team? We're not ready man. I think we could benefit from trying to uncover another promising youngster or 2...If we make some noise this year, great, but the real fun won't start until we make some major additions when the cap room opens up. There will be more turnover forthcoming -- half the guys on this current team won't be here in a year or 2, including Pablo...We already have enough vet leadership at the point with Calderon (and with Fisher on the sidelines--let's not forget this angle -- things Fisher could whisper in a younger PG's ear, in practice every day, etc., will definitely help). What's Prigioni's main purpose here on this team? Hopefully not to be the main backup PG...He's older now and it shows, beyond passive on offense, can't break anyone down off the dribble, can't push the ball and despite some surprise defections on inbound plays now & then, he's not a good defender. Makes too many mistakes with the ball too, mistakes you wouldn't associate with a guy with his experience (I know some of that can be chaulked up to Woodson's poor coaching, a lack of a true system and poor chemistry last yr but still). He's actually a decent outside shooter but the man never looks to shoot, often passing up wide open looks--so we don't even gain any advantage here...Would much rather have someone with some upside as the backup point/3rd point to go along with Larkin. Prigioni's obsolete on this team imo. If nothing else, I say trade Pablo for a future 2, a trade exception--whatever we can get, or just buy him out. Open the spot up for a more promising understudy ball-handling guard with upside. Seth Curry's a name that works here for me. Kalin Lucas is another (more of a pure point that's actually pretty darn good at everything). Wouldn't have to trade for either guy -- just create the roster spot and offer a contract.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

7/31/2014  2:14 PM
BRIGGS wrote:Liked him coming out last year---I think hes got real potential as a PG at a long 6-3. He played very well overseas last year and again in this SL. He is not signed yet with Denver. He's plays good 2 way basketball. If there is small deal to be made somewhere--perhaps a threeway where we move Prigs to a team looking for vet PG help--trade asset to Denver and move Greene here? I know its not a blockbuster--but small deals like this might be the way to improve for the long term without giving up anything short term.

Last year might be the one year where there are just as many quality players coming out of the second round as there is in the first. Glen Rice Jr. looks like a beast and Ray MCCollum looked like a better prospect than Trey Burke. Green kind of reminded me of George Hill in college and I think he'll be solid.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
NumberTwoPencil
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #481
USA
8/1/2014  3:30 AM
I've been surprised Seth Curry hasn't found a job but I keep thinking his brother's shadow holds him back a little. In short, he's more like Klay Thompson (with weaker defense) than Stephen. That said, I'm sure there are more job openings for 3rd string PG than for more or less any kind of shooting guard.
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

8/1/2014  11:18 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/1/2014  1:30 PM
NumberTwoPencil wrote:I've been surprised Seth Curry hasn't found a job but I keep thinking his brother's shadow holds him back a little. In short, he's more like Klay Thompson (with weaker defense) than Stephen. That said, I'm sure there are more job openings for 3rd string PG than for more or less any kind of shooting guard.

See, I'm thinking it could work the other way -- if a team grabbed Seth and he had an impact (he's fully capable--dude just needs a shot somewhere--I doubt he gets that with PHX)--all people would be saying is that whatever team got him just got an absolute steal, something close to his brother Steph and for a fraction of the cost. For example, say the Knicks grabbed him and he produced, dare I say produced significantly--people would be calling into ever talk show going gaga, calling him "Steph Curry East." I dunno--something about that I find appealing... We're a capped out team at the moment looking to put the finishing touches on next year's roster, a transition roster that's not championship caliber. Not yet... These are moves we should be looking at. This dude's young, has talent and he'd come cheap--right up our alley...Look, Steph's an established star and Seth hasn't proved a thing in the NBA yet, I get that, but I gotta ask---size-wise/skill-wise/style-wise/tool-wise, is there really that much of a difference between the 2 brothers? If so, what is it exactly? The outside shooting? Seth's also know for it..The size is similar, similar speed, ball-handling, etc...Seth just needs a chance. What could he do with the freedom and green light his brother has?? I think that's a fair question that not only applies to Seth Curry but also to a lot of young guys with talent looking to crack the over-crowded NBA...Seth Curry can play. Doesn't even have to play/shoot as much as his brother to have an impact...I like this guy as a 3rd line understudy ball-handler on the depth chart (with a chance to be more than that if he produced when called upon) a hell of a lot more than Pablo Prigioni. Pablo offers very little at this stage; Seth Curry, on the other hand, offers adequate ball-handling/passing, an excellent shooting stroke and much more upside.

Simple for me -- it's all about excitement. If Jose Calderon ever went down, the last thing I'd wanna see is Pablo Prigioni logging heavy mins., scrabbling every night to fill in. He'd be way over his head in that situation...That doesn't do it for me. I don't even wanna see Pablo as the primary backup to Calderon -- that feels way too geriatric a PG tandem for me. Gimmie a reason to get excited about watching the games, win or lose. Shane Larkin and a Seth Curry would give me that excitement on this current team. Take the chance here, if only on that pure shooting stroke alone. Let's try to uncover another young contributor -- could only serve us well moving forward. Same reason I say let's play Cleanthony Early this year. Thanasis too maybe. We drafted these guys for help out on the wing -- let's show some conviction in the picks and see what they can do. Again: transition year. Let's dedicate the year trying to win of course but also making a conscious effort into finding out more about our young core. Let's develop these guys to the point where they have their feet wet and are ready to go once we open up the major cap space a year later. Hopefully by that time we bring in a big piece or two, the young players are all baptized and up to speed and we're finally ready to make some noise with a complete, championship-level squad.

If we can win 50-something ball games, great! I'll gladly take it, but I don't expect to win a championship this year. My expectations are a lot lower than some of you guys. Even with Melo back, I still see this as more of a transition year. I just don't see a championship in the cards before the big cap space opens up. I'd be fine being competitive every night, letting Fish get his feet wet, let Phil get more comfortable in his role, tapering Melo's minutes back somewhat, and finding out a lot more about some of our younger players: Shump, THJ, Larkin, Aldrich, maybe Ellington if we can find room for him, Early, Thanasis, etc.. If we could add one or two more youngsters to the mix--guys that can actually play like a Seth Curry, maybe a better big man option like Daniel Orton or Richard Howell instead of Jeremy Tyler who I don't care for, maybe a smart 2-for-1 or 3-for-1 trade to alleviate some roster congestion, etc., I'm all for it.

Erick Greene

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy