[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

we have a 50 win team on our hands this year, i'm good at feeling these things out
Author Thread
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/4/2014  9:16 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:A discount? He's still the highest paid player on the planet!
This has nothing to do with Melo hate (or at least it shouldn't). Phil and Dolan are the ones who gave him the contract.

So we should start hating Phil now? I'm sure the consensus is everyone already hates Dolan. [Even though we all realize the way consensus works here on the UK]

AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/4/2014  9:18 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/4/2014  9:19 AM
Hate? No. It's way too early for that. We can be disappointed with him for outbidding everyone by so much and throwing in a no-trade clause though.
jrodmc
USA
8/4/2014  9:39 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:Hate? No. It's way too early for that. We can be disappointed with him for outbidding everyone by so much and throwing in a no-trade clause though.

It's all dollars and cents for you, isn't it?

What was the value of playing with DRose and today's godman Noah? What was the value of playing in a real BIG three with Harden and DHow? Finishing a career with Kobe? Or coming home to play with ...Jose Calderone?

Do you really think our resident IdiotZenBoy was just bidding against dollars?

And what irks you most about the no-trade? So Melo's a self-centered loser for talking up free agency before hand, and now Melo's a self-centered loser and Phil is a dissapointing moron because he gave Melo a no-trade clause? Got it.

Direction. Nevermind.

Bonn1997
USA
8/4/2014  10:13 AM
jrodmc wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:Hate? No. It's way too early for that. We can be disappointed with him for outbidding everyone by so much and throwing in a no-trade clause though.

What was the value of playing with DRose and today's godman Noah? What was the value of playing in a real BIG three with Harden and DHow? Finishing a career with Kobe? Or coming home to play with ...Jose Calderone?

And what irks you most about the no-trade? So Melo's a self-centered loser for talking up free agency before hand, and now Melo's a self-centered loser and Phil is a dissapointing moron because he gave Melo a no-trade clause? Got it.

Direction. Nevermind.

None of your hateful criticism relates to my thinking. All that matters to me is how much cap room we have to build around Melo and whether we have any flexibility to move him if it doesn't work out.
jrodmc
USA
8/4/2014  10:26 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:

Direction. Nevermind.

None of your hateful criticism relates to my thinking. All that matters to me is how much cap room we have to build around Melo and whether we have any flexibility to move him if it doesn't work out.

But you said Phil outbid everyone for him, but you don't address what IdiotPhil was bidding against? How does that not relate to your hateful thinking, I mean your deep, thoughtful analysis?

So in your happiest of all worlds, Melo signs for either pre-prime or post-prime money, and hopes to get traded to Milwaukee, Charlotte or Utah for great draft picks and valuable younger players two or three years from now?

It's okay, you don't have to respond. Fish has notified me that my posting contribution for today has been exceeded.

Bonn, seriously, I've always respected your fierce statistical analyis. I'm only trying to hopefully partially get you into the Centrist fold for the upcoming season.

Bonn1997
USA
8/4/2014  10:33 AM
jrodmc wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:

Direction. Nevermind.

But you said Phil outbid everyone for him, but you don't address what IdiotPhil was bidding against? How does that not relate to your hateful thinking, I mean your deep, thoughtful analysis?

So in your happiest of all worlds, Melo signs for either pre-prime or post-prime money, and hopes to get traded to Milwaukee, Charlotte or Utah for great draft picks and valuable younger players two or three years from now?

It's okay, you don't have to respond. Fish has notified me that my posting contribution for today has been exceeded.

Bonn, seriously, I've always respected your fierce statistical analyis. I'm only trying to hopefully partially get you into the Centrist fold for the upcoming season.

Oh I'm well within the centrist fold - my predictions are right around where most websites and analyses have the Knicks.
nixluva
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #758
USA
8/4/2014  12:53 PM
Being able to build a champion won't be determined by the lack of a player we could've gotten with an extra 4.5 million. Let's also remember that at that point we've pretty much spent everything we had in the cap space on 2 guys. The Knicks would have to renounce everyone of their cap holds in order to clear
the $24.5 million dollars if Melo had taken the maximum discount route. That also means refusing to extend Shump a qualifying offer, waiving Pablo, and not picking up the Team Options on Larkin and THJ. So then you'd have the $20 mil for M. Gasol and the $4.5 mil for some other guy. Then you have to figure out how to staff the rest of your team. Keep in mind these are rough numbers and we don't really know what is gonna happen between now and then in the way of trades etc.

This is the current cap situation for the summer of 2015 based on the players we have signed thru 2016. Remember that there are still the cap holds which aren't listed.

Carmelo         $22,875,000
Calderon $7,402,812
JR - PO $6,399,750

Pablo $1,734,572
Iman - QO $3,898,691
THJ - TO $1,304,520
Larkin - TO $1,675,320
Early - ? $
Thanasis - ? $
Aldrich - ? $
2015 Draft Pick $
$38,412,134
Possible cap $66,500,000

It seems to me that there could be more value in finding a way to get the help we need outside of adding a Max FA. Phil is going to have to really come up with a plan that builds this team with near max players rather than splurge for that one max guy and have very little else. I'm pretty sure that Phil and his staff have crunched the numbers and laid out multiple scenarios for what they can do with the cap next summer. I'm sure that they quickly came to realize that this was not going to be easy to figure out. This is why the move to add youth was so important. You have to find a way to secure cheap talent. The best way is with young players. That young talent is the lifeline for a GM. Think of how much different our team would look if Phil had not made the trade?

Bonn1997
USA
8/4/2014  1:00 PM
4.5 is based on your arbitrarily chosen comparison salary for melo
F500ONE
Member: #5844

8/4/2014  1:28 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/4/2014  4:06 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:4.5 is based on your arbitrarily chosen comparison salary for melo

Confused as to why his example pigeon holes us to only offering Max and then $4.5mil if paycut was larger

When Phil has suggested/////

He'll more than likely lean towards acquiring 2 very good players with cap space

At less than Max value

Already covered a theoretical synopsis fitting Phil's thinking in acquiring Milsap and Jordan

Even if pipe dreaming here, as they follow more the PHILosophy of what he may try to accomplish

Hopefully he can make something happen along these lines

IMO we have less of a shot at Gasol vs any potential free agent who may be out there during the summer

Zach Randolph is the perfect example of the kind of paycut Melo should have considered

He gave the Grizzlies the flexibility to retain Gasol next year and add pieces

Bonn1997
USA
8/4/2014  1:46 PM
Confused as to why his example pigeon holes us to only offering Max and then $4.5mil if paycut was larger

I'm not sure. I didn't look at it that closely since Nix is only talking about small paycuts that still put Melo at $100 mil or more for the length of the contract.
nixluva
USA
8/4/2014  3:05 PM
OMG! I just wrote that it's more likely Phil will look to acquire some Near Max guys rather than blow it all on one max guy and then not have any cap for much else. WTF?

nixluva wrote:It seems to me that there could be more value in finding a way to get the help we need outside of adding a Max FA. Phil is going to have to really come up with a plan that builds this team with near max players rather than splurge for that one max guy and have very little else. I'm pretty sure that Phil and his staff have crunched the numbers and laid out multiple scenarios for what they can do with the cap next summer. I'm sure that they quickly came to realize that this was not going to be easy to figure out. This is why the move to add youth was so important. You have to find a way to secure cheap talent. The best way is with young players. That young talent is the lifeline for a GM. Think of how much different our team would look if Phil had not made the trade?
mreinman
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3189

8/4/2014  3:58 PM
nixluva wrote:OMG! I just wrote that it's more likely Phil will look to acquire some Near Max guys rather than blow it all on one max guy and then not have any cap for much else. WTF?

nixluva wrote:It seems to me that there could be more value in finding a way to get the help we need outside of adding a Max FA. Phil is going to have to really come up with a plan that builds this team with near max players rather than splurge for that one max guy and have very little else. I'm pretty sure that Phil and his staff have crunched the numbers and laid out multiple scenarios for what they can do with the cap next summer. I'm sure that they quickly came to realize that this was not going to be easy to figure out. This is why the move to add youth was so important. You have to find a way to secure cheap talent. The best way is with young players. That young talent is the lifeline for a GM. Think of how much different our team would look if Phil had not made the trade?

WTF??? Why so tense?

so here is what phil is thinking ....
F500ONE

8/4/2014  4:11 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/4/2014  4:14 PM
mreinman wrote:
nixluva wrote:OMG! I just wrote that it's more likely Phil will look to acquire some Near Max guys rather than blow it all on one max guy and then not have any cap for much else. WTF?

WTF??? Why so tense?

So the beginning of supporting for this approach started with Phil making the Dallas trade?

Shouldn't this always be a front office's MO

Did you support the Bargnani trade giving up 2 picks and a 1st which could have equated to adding more youthful talent going for our rebuild future

Are you a forward thinking fan or an in the moment kind

For the record stop giving Phil lay on thick kudos because if I recall correctly we rejected several Chandler trades over the past yr or so

Our team could look very much the same had Grunwald or Mills pulled the trigger on deals

Phil hasn't done anything out of the ordinary had we hired an ordinary GM

He hasn't even scratched the surface of his $60mil paycheck

knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
8/4/2014  7:36 PM
F500ONE wrote:
mreinman wrote:

WTF??? Why so tense?

So the beginning of supporting for this approach started with Phil making the Dallas trade?

Did you support the Bargnani trade giving up 2 picks and a 1st which could have equated to adding more youthful talent going for our rebuild future

For the record stop giving Phil lay on thick kudos because if I recall correctly we rejected several Chandler trades over the past yr or so

Our team could look very much the same had Grunwald or Mills pulled the trigger on deals

Phil made a good deal imo, and I wont knock him because the previous GM's didnt do it. Phil has recognized that the backcourt is too crowded, so I'd like to see how he will address that.

Imo, this upcoming season should be all about establishing the culture he wants, if the teams can win games in the process that would be a plus initself.

Phil gets no grade by me til i see what he does in 2015, whether that means making good signings to the roster and keeping flexibility for 2016 as well.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
8/4/2014  8:13 PM
knickscity wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
mreinman wrote:

WTF??? Why so tense?

Phil made a good deal imo, and I wont knock him because the previous GM's didnt do it. Phil has recognized that the backcourt is too crowded, so I'd like to see how he will address that.

Imo, this upcoming season should be all about establishing the culture he wants, if the teams can win games in the process that would be a plus initself.

Phil gets no grade by me til i see what he does in 2015, whether that means making good signings to the roster and keeping flexibility for 2016 as well.

Right after Melo was signed Phil was interviewed during the Knicks sl game against Charlotte. Phil said he is hoping to bring in two really good players with the cap space that the Knicks have available in 2015.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
nixluva
USA
8/5/2014  12:22 AM
CrushAlot wrote:
knickscity wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
mreinman wrote:

WTF??? Why so tense?

Right after Melo was signed Phil was interviewed during the Knicks sl game against Charlotte. Phil said he is hoping to bring in two really good players with the cap space that the Knicks have available in 2015.

Crush i'm convinced that most of the guys complaining and doubting have no idea what Phil has been saying. This is why they're talking such nonsense. They really haven't dug deep into what's going on and the possibilities that are being created for this franchise since Phil came on board. No one is saying he's perfect or anything, but he's done a good job so far with very limited resources. Did anyone expect a sexy move so early considering what Phil had to work with? I do know that he didn't lose in the trade with Dallas. He got a better PG which we needed and young assets to boot. That's a win in my book.
jrodmc
USA
8/5/2014  8:30 AM
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
knickscity wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
mreinman wrote:

WTF??? Why so tense?

Crush i'm convinced that most of the guys complaining and doubting have no idea what Phil has been saying. This is why they're talking such nonsense. They really haven't dug deep into what's going on and the possibilities that are being created for this franchise since Phil came on board. No one is saying he's perfect or anything, but he's done a good job so far with very limited resources. Did anyone expect a sexy move so early considering what Phil had to work with? I do know that he didn't lose in the trade with Dallas. He got a better PG which we needed and young assets to boot. That's a win in my book.

Nothing Phil does from here on in will matter. He paid the Melonoma and gave him a no trade clause.
Some on here who were basing their knick fandom on Cancerello being somewhere else are going to have a long, painful recovery period. It's okay, painful discipline builds strong character.

Phil is back home. Rambo is back home where he was drafted. Dolan is laying low. I like this new normal.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/5/2014  9:21 AM
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
knickscity wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
mreinman wrote:

WTF??? Why so tense?

you nailed it. Most thought this was a sit and wait offseason, no picks, no MLE, no cap space, players nobody wanted to trade for, etc etc.. we heard it all. Phil gets us younger, jettisons guys who a problem last year, has a good draft, adds a couple prospects, fixes PG and sets us up to have a good season, but guys would rather spin their wheels about MElo's no trade or Calderon's $7mm year. Its going to be a good year. Keep posting and stay thirsty
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nixluva
USA
8/5/2014  1:18 PM
What really intrigues me is the prospect of Melo being mentored by Phil. He's already started working on him and you know now that he re-signed Melo, Phil is gonna be getting in his head and developing that relationship. I think Fish is a good guy for Melo as well. People forget that Fish has spent significant time with Kobe and Durant and he knows how to talk to superstar big ego guys. He doesn't say what they want to hear, he tells them what they need to hear. Anyone that doubts that should do some research on Fish. So Phil, Fish and Melo are dedicated to the team and totally reliant on each other and they know it. They're all locked in and ready to lead this team together. Fish has his coach on the floor in Jose which really is a good thing for a new coach. Jose won't worry about having to say no to melo.
F500ONE

8/5/2014  1:30 PM
fishmike wrote:
nixluva wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
knickscity wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
mreinman wrote:

WTF??? Why so tense?

you nailed it. Most thought this was a sit and wait offseason, no picks, no MLE, no cap space, players nobody wanted to trade for, etc etc.. we heard it all. Phil gets us younger, jettisons guys who a problem last year, has a good draft, adds a couple prospects, fixes PG and sets us up to have a good season, but guys would rather spin their wheels about MElo's no trade or Calderon's $7mm year. Its going to be a good year. Keep posting and stay thirsty

The previous GM received full support for the moves he was making with a means to an end goal.

The only difference, the end goal keeps changing

The previous GM made moves that supposedly fit Melo and the style of play

He made moves that suggested we were in win now mode, none of them really worked

Probably some doubted they ever would

We've built twice around a player in his prime and now are doing it as he's coming out, stakes could never be higher

Okay so now we've hired Phil, we have some direction

The top heavy part of the plan is older and the outside competition is getting younger-better

The top heavy part of the plan also took too much of the pie, to make it easier to execute the plan

I think Phil has a good sense of what it takes to win, he simply doesn't have the resources to accomplish peak results

We're probably better than we were 10yrs ago or so, but not too hard improving on a low benchmark

We need long sustaining success starting with and going beyond Phil and Melo's contractual tenure

I don't see it, I see another flash in the pan plan.

we have a 50 win team on our hands this year, i'm good at feeling these things out

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy