[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

we have a 50 win team on our hands this year, i'm good at feeling these things out
Author Thread
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
7/31/2014  11:08 PM
Back to what I was going to originally contribute before I got side tracked, thanks a lot Anji.

There are a lot of big men prospects that may come out of the 2015 draft.

Okafor
Towns
Portis
Alexander
Johnson
Looney
Turner
Porzingis
Harrell
Nichols
Hammons
Sky Walker
Long
Poythress
*Dakari Johnson
Cauley-Stein
Diop

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
F500ONE
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5844

7/31/2014  11:10 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/31/2014  11:11 PM
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:There seems to be this misconception on the part of some media and some fans that Melo really screwed us with his contract. To be honest there was really never going to be a situation where we added 2 max players. One Max is about the most realistic option and even then who exactly are we talking about? As it is the Knicks could have enough money to offer a max to Marc Gasol with the contract Melo signed.

The only way that Melo could have given a significant amount more would be if he left about $22 mil on the table and took a $101,891,629.62 contract. Even then it's not enough to get you much. The $124mil contract leaves us about $20 mil of space and the $101 mil contract would leave about $24.5 mil of space. That extra $4.5 mil isn't going to be the difference between a title team or not. People need to really take a chill on bashing Melo over his contract.

It's more important to focus on developing our young talent. Getting the most out of the players we have and establishing a winning culture or team 1st BB. Once we go thru this season we can better judge just what this team will need to get to the next level and contend. It's important to see how this plays out. SO GROW UP PEOPLE!!!

Great post. Thanks for crunching the numbers.

Okay $1.4mil we were supposed to acknowledge he took a paycut.

You proceed to scoff at $4.5mil give back as if it's not significant

Hate to burst your bubble but it would be very much relevant

Take for instance Paul Milsap makes $9mil this year.

If Hawks duplicate last year and he has a good year himself

He goes into the off season and says he wants David West money, $12mil per yr

Melo's $1.4mil give back as you say creates approximately $20mil in cap space[I have it around $18mil]

$20mil minus $12mil leaves $8mil well add another $4.5mil if he takes the paycut you suggest/////

We could sign another player at $12mil if they command the salary like DeAndre Jordan.

But hey you say GROW UP and to that I say to you SMARTEN UP

I think it's gonna be hard regardless but Melo surely didn't help us like he should have and could have

newyorknewyork
7/31/2014  11:25 PM
F500ONE wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:
nixluva wrote:There seems to be this misconception on the part of some media and some fans that Melo really screwed us with his contract. To be honest there was really never going to be a situation where we added 2 max players. One Max is about the most realistic option and even then who exactly are we talking about? As it is the Knicks could have enough money to offer a max to Marc Gasol with the contract Melo signed.

The only way that Melo could have given a significant amount more would be if he left about $22 mil on the table and took a $101,891,629.62 contract. Even then it's not enough to get you much. The $124mil contract leaves us about $20 mil of space and the $101 mil contract would leave about $24.5 mil of space. That extra $4.5 mil isn't going to be the difference between a title team or not. People need to really take a chill on bashing Melo over his contract.

It's more important to focus on developing our young talent. Getting the most out of the players we have and establishing a winning culture or team 1st BB. Once we go thru this season we can better judge just what this team will need to get to the next level and contend. It's important to see how this plays out. SO GROW UP PEOPLE!!!

Melo's $1.4mil give back as you say creates approximately $20mil in cap space[I have it around $18mil]

$20mil minus $12mil leaves $8mil well add another $4.5mil if he takes the paycut you suggest/////

We could sign another player at $12mil if they command the salary like DeAndre Jordan.

I think it's gonna be hard regardless but Melo surely didn't help us like he should have and could have

When you estimate 18 or 20 mil. Are you including Shumperts cap hold?

nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/1/2014  12:21 AM
F500ONE wrote:
CrushAlot wrote:

GEEZ!!! The point of the exercise was to make it clear that some of us throw around numbers and they seem huge but the actual impact on the 2015 cap situation isn't as big as some make it sound. Melo wasn't gonna play for free. He was gonna get paid what a player at his stage gets paid. You think Phil and the cap guys on the Knicks didn't go over EVERY SINGLE SCENARIO of possible FA's and Melo contract options? Phil said he gave him 5 options. I'm pretty darn sure those options were based on giving the Knicks the best flexibility when it would mean the most.

In any event the truth is that we most likely won't end up using the cap space on a max player like Gasol. It's so hard to make that happen as it's out of the teams control. Phil was gonna have a hard time going the FA route anyway. I'm thinking some kind of trade might end up happening, but it's impossible to project this far in advance.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/1/2014  7:47 AM
There are a lot of good players making $4.5 mil per. You can't scoff at that. And if you already have $4.5 mil extra available, it will be easier to make a small move to clear a little more space and have $9 to 10 mil per. (Regardless, I never would have given Melo the $100 mil contract you suggested anyway.)
dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
8/1/2014  8:36 AM
newyorknewyork wrote:
Anji wrote:Whoops, my bad, that quote actually happened.

Yea it did, but for some reason they seem to purposely alter the quote around to make it say "Melo kind of did exactly what we wanted" when Phil actually stated "Melo did exactly what we kind of wanted him to do".

Don't know why they seem to continually alter the actual quote. Nah I'm lying I know exactly why they kind of alter the quote.

"He did exactly what we kind of asked him to do." That is the quote that Jackson gave to Begley.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
mreinman
Member: #3189

8/1/2014  8:40 AM
Good morning everyone ... Melo sux ... beautiful day outside though
so here is what phil is thinking ....
newyorknewyork
8/1/2014  8:57 AM
dk7th wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Yea it did, but for some reason they seem to purposely alter the quote around to make it say "Melo kind of did exactly what we wanted" when Phil actually stated "Melo did exactly what we kind of wanted him to do".

Don't know why they seem to continually alter the actual quote. Nah I'm lying I know exactly why they kind of alter the quote.

"He did exactly what we kind of asked him to do." That is the quote that Jackson gave to Begley.

Thank you, so why isn't this the exact quote being used when quoting him?

F500ONE
Member: #5844

8/1/2014  9:39 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/1/2014  9:40 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:There are a lot of good players making $4.5 mil per. You can't scoff at that. And if you already have $4.5 mil extra available, it will be easier to make a small move to clear a little more space and have $9 to 10 mil per. (Regardless, I never would have given Melo the $100 mil contract you suggested anyway.)

You my amigo get it!

Nixluva wrote:You think Phil and the cap guys on the Knicks didn't go over EVERY SINGLE SCENARIO of possible FA's and Melo contract options? Phil said he gave him 5 options. I'm pretty darn sure those options were based on giving the Knicks the best flexibility when it would mean the most.

You OTOH don't.

So let me see if I'm clear on what you're saying

Because there are so many scenarios on the shoulda-coulda-wouldas.

We need to relax, although this will be our second round of shoulda-coulda-wouldas with him

I'm not cool with/////

Melo stuffing his face full of acorns

While ransacking the birdhouse full of it's seeds

Chitting mulberries simultaneously on the flowerbed below

Then dive bombing in the fresh spring fountain

Back up scaling trees spying out a nest to rob of it's eggs

I get it, some like seeing the squirrel because he's entertaining as he leaps and bounds from all different angles and places in the court

He can post up in tress but loves to grind ground

Heck he may even come on your patio to say hello allowing you to get close enough to pet him

Only after he has emptied your dog dish of healthy wet food on interior back den topped over in a mess

The only other yard life who tolerates him is the jack rabbit Smithy

He's after the Shrooms, Veggie Garden, Delicate Flowers

There in lies the problem, I really like seeing my////

Finches, blue-jays, cardinals, canaries, bumblebees, flowers bloom, fruit tress sprout and the symphony of sounds from all because all these thing make the courtyard complete

The courtyard will never reach it's full potential of beauty and produce the variety desired when the mad fat squirrel and zaney rabbit is running a muck wreaking havoc

Back to the 5 offers from Phil.

Sounds like you're praising Phil for covering options of best interest for Knicks

And pacifying Melo declining the options favoring us

Thank goodness my brain will not allow me to join both together in matrimony

Anji
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #1122
USA
8/1/2014  1:52 PM
This **** is getting too meta for me......when does the shooting of hoops commence!!!!!!!
"Really, all Americans want is a cold beer, warm p***y, and some place to s**t with a door on it." - Mr. Ford
dk7th
USA
8/1/2014  3:20 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
dk7th wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

perhaps because they are interchangeable? maybe you can explain what the differences are.

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
8/1/2014  3:50 PM
The arguments just start getting silly after a while. The thing is that Melo was gonna get paid and even if he took even more of a hit the difference wasn't guaranteed to make it possible to change the team from an also ran to a contender. Just cuz there are some nice players who made $4.5 mil doesn't mean that Phil can't find an equally good player for less, get one in a trade or via the draft etc. Let's just relax on the doom and gloom cuz Melo didn't give us that extra $4.5 mil. It's really much ado about NOTHING!!! It's not the end of the world.

Phil is likely now looking at how much he can improve from within and how he can lure some guys next summer based on the success we have this year. It's really important that this team play well this season. It's not a throw away season as some think. The better this team plays this season the more attractive a destination we become. Still you can't force a FA to sign here. This is why Phil is paying so much attention to young players as well. Over the next 5 years we're going to have to succeed in developing a few good players.

H1AND1
Member: #5648

8/1/2014  9:22 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/1/2014  9:32 PM
dk7th wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
dk7th wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Yea it did, but for some reason they seem to purposely alter the quote when Phil actually stated "Melo did exactly what we kind of wanted him to do".

perhaps because they are interchangeable? maybe you can explain what the differences are.

"Melo did exactly what we kind of wanted him to do"

And

"Melo kind of did exactly what we wanted"

Are you saying these two quotes have the same meaning? Moving around "kind of" makes a huge difference. For one, saying "what we kind of wanted" is bizarre and a strange way of forming a sentence. If anything, it is implying that said person wanted someone to do something but didn't really care on way or the other. Since we know they wanted him to take less, they didn't "kind of" want him to take less, I would write off that quote as someone mispeaking.

Saying Melo "kind of did exactly what we wanted" is a direct, no holds barred condemnation.

Huge, huge difference between the two quotes. In no way interchangeable.

dk7th
USA
8/1/2014  9:59 PM
H1AND1 wrote:
dk7th wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
dk7th wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

Yea it did, but for some reason they seem to purposely alter the quote when Phil actually stated "Melo did exactly what we kind of wanted him to do".

And

Are you saying these two quotes have the same meaning? Moving around "kind of" makes a huge difference. For one, saying "what we kind of wanted" is bizarre and a strange way of forming a sentence. If anything, it is implying that said person wanted someone to do something but didn't really care on way or the other. Since we know they wanted him to take less, they didn't "kind of" want him to take less, I would write off that quote as someone mispeaking.

Saying Melo "kind of did exactly what we wanted" is a direct, no holds barred condemnation.

i have noticed that phil jackson does have a weird way of expressing things, and i haven't figured out if it's by design like a hippie-dippie zen koan, or that he just has a peculiar way of expressing conflicting emotions. bizarre and strange-- i am inclined to agree.

bottom line there is no way jackson was happy with the result.

newyorknewyork
8/1/2014  10:50 PM
dk7th wrote:
H1AND1 wrote:
dk7th wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
dk7th wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

And

i have noticed that phil jackson does have a weird way of expressing things, and i haven't figured out if it's by design like a hippie-dippie zen koan, or that he just has a peculiar way of expressing conflicting emotions. bizarre and strange-- i am inclined to agree.

bottom line there is no way jackson was happy with the result.

I would have to hear him speak and monitor his tone to come to a conclusion like that.

newyorknewyork
8/1/2014  10:57 PM
H1AND1 wrote:
dk7th wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
dk7th wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:

And

To be fair he didn't say kind of wanted but kind of asked which also changes the whole dynamic. "Kind of asked" to me sounds like the 5 options as it makes the most sense.

knickscity
Member: #4241
USA
8/2/2014  11:24 AM
Honestly dont even see why this aspect is still a discussion...he took a discount.

Whether it's enough cant be determined today.

I could totally understand if the 5 contract options mentioned were actually published and we can see which one Melo picked vs the others.....but arent so far.

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

8/2/2014  11:46 AM
Bonn1997 wrote:There are a lot of good players making $4.5 mil per. You can't scoff at that. And if you already have $4.5 mil extra available, it will be easier to make a small move to clear a little more space and have $9 to 10 mil per. (Regardless, I never would have given Melo the $100 mil contract you suggested anyway.)

You can get a decent starter for 4.5 million
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
8/4/2014  9:11 AM
knickscity wrote:Honestly dont even see why this aspect is still a discussion...he took a discount.

Whether it's enough cant be determined today.

I could totally understand if the 5 contract options mentioned were actually published and we can see which one Melo picked vs the others.....but arent so far.

It wouldn't matter if he did take less. It wouldn't matter if he agreed to play for free. Melo hate is Melo hate, no matter the price.

In other news, it's been pointed out in other threads that Melo could also break a leg at any time, too.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
8/4/2014  9:13 AM
A discount? He's still the highest paid player on the planet!
This has nothing to do with Melo hate (or at least it shouldn't). Phil and Dolan are the ones who gave him the contract.
we have a 50 win team on our hands this year, i'm good at feeling these things out

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy