[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Bargs: Do you agree with Jackson when it comes to Bargnani? Do you think Bargnani can be a “surprise” for the Knicks

Author Poll
babyKnicks
Member: #1191
USA
http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=new-yorkknicks&id=58101&city=newyork&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ultimateknicks.com%2F%22%7D

Are you optimistic about Bargnani?

Jim McIsaac/Getty Images

Last season, the 'Bockers were better off with Andrea Bargnani on the bench. But Phil Jackson says he might "surprise" next season. Agree?

By most measures, Andrea Bargnani's season with the Knicks last year was a forgettable one.

New York’s offense was 6.8 points better (per 100 possessions) when Bargnani was on the bench. On defense, the Knicks allowed one fewer point per 100 possessions when Bargnani was off the court.

And then there’s this: The Knicks went 15-27 before Bargnani went down with an elbow injury and finished the season 21-18 after he got hurt.

It's unfair to put that all on Bargnani, but it doesn't reflect well on the former No. 1 overall pick.

"He just never seemed to be a good fit," one NBA scout said of Bargnani last season.

But when viewed through the prism of individual statistics, Bargnani’s 2013-14 season doesn’t seem so terrible. He averaged 13.3 points and 5.3 rebounds per game, numbers the Knicks probably would have signed up for when they acquired Bargnani last summer.

The bigger issue last season for Bargnani was that he never fit well on the floor with Carmelo Anthony. The Knicks hoped Bargnani could be a strong secondary scoring option. That didn’t happen.

New York outscored teams by 3.5 points per 100 possessions when Anthony was on the court without Bargnani. But when Anthony and Bargnani shared the floor, the Knicks were outscored by 3.9 points per 100 possessions.

Maybe that was one reason, along with his salary, that Bargnani was deemed expendable earlier this summer by the Knicks. The Knicks’ hierarchy tried to ship Bargnani out, along with one of their guards, in an effort to shed his $11.5 million salary and free up some money for then-free agent Pau Gasol, sources say.

Either New York couldn’t find an amenable trade partner or couldn't construct a deal to its liking because Bargnani is still a Knick and Gasol is with the Chicago Bulls.

It is unclear if Bargnani is still on the trading block.

Phil Jackson said last week he thinks Bargnani will “surprise” some people this season. He also called the seven-footer “overlooked.”

“We think he's going to really do well in the kind of system we have,” Jackson said in an interview on MSG Network. “We've got a couple guards he likes to play with in Jose [Calderon] and Pablo [Prigioni] because he's played with them before in situations. I think he's going to be a surprise and I think he's going to be a pleasant one for our fans.”

Some see Jackson and Derek Fisher's triangle offense as a panacea for Bargnani. If he can knock down the open shots produced by the triangle, the theory goes, maybe Bargnani can have a successful run in his second season in New York?

(That theory ignores that Bargnani isn't a strong passer and doesn't move well -- two essential skills in the triangle.)

Offense, though, hasn't been Bargnani's biggest issue over eight years in the league. Defense and rebounding have also held him back -- maybe to a larger degree than any drawbacks he has on the offensive end.

So Fisher and the Knicks will have to figure out not only how to get Bargnani open looks on offense but also how to overcome his porous perimeter defense and spotty rebounding.

And, oh yeah, they’ll also have to find a way to incorporate him on offense without hindering Carmelo.

Is that possible? Sure. Anything's possible. But, based on last season, it doesn't seem all that likely.

Question: Do you agree with Jackson when it comes to Bargnani? Do you think Bargnani can be a “surprise” for the Knicks this season? Or should they look to trade him?

You can follow Ian Begley on Twitter.

Reg

Yes. Bargs will continue his 12/6 numbers and contribute to wins
No. He's done. Not even PFhish can fix him.
View Results

Author Thread
Markji
Alba Posts: -4
Member: #1673
USA
7/23/2014  11:38 AM
nixluva wrote:If you look at the following highlight video notice the offense we're running and how sloppy it is. How often Bargnani gets the ball out of prime position. So often guys are just standing around. Also he's a much more active player when he's been involved in the game. He'll defend better. It's just the way he is. Seems to me that many of his coaches haven't paid attention to this. Now in this system at least the ball is designed to be passed to the big men so they can get a feel and be involved. He can survey the court and see what the defense does and make better decisions, closer to the basket. What I see in this video is a player with talent and size that needs to be coached up. He has the ability to do so much more than he has. Let's see what Phil and his boys can do.

I agree with Nixluva on Bargs. Better coaching and team ball will help him. We have a 7 footer who can shoot the 3.

What I like on this video is seeing how far out and how reluctant Dwight Howard is to come out to the 3 pt line to guard Bargs. The result is that Bargs is open for the 3, and also Howard is out of position for the rebound. It screws up Houston's D and rebounding positions.

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. Tom Clancy - author
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/23/2014  11:41 AM
H1AND1 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:When he was actually getting minutes Bargs was the 2nd best player on the team!!! People have seriously developed amnesia about last year. We didn't lose because of Bargnani. We lost cuz of Woody, JR, Felton sucking and Tyson breaking his leg etc. There were a myriad of reasons, but early in the year before Bargs lost his confidence and then got injured, he was avg'ing 16/6/1.3 blks on 47.4%, 81% FT and 37% from 3pt range. People just forget that he actually was doing that with Felton, Shump and JR stinking up the joint. IMO he most definitely can be a productive player. Coaching will make a huge difference and the presence of Jose will also help cuz they have chemistry.

where do you come up with these things?

What the F were you watching at the start of the year when Bargs was in FACT the 2nd best player on the team. Don't piss on my posts if you're not gonna back up what you say with SOMETHING. I hate that ISH.

Bargs: 32.7 mpg 47.4% FG 37.0% 3pt 81.1% FT 5.8 reb 1.3 blks 16.4 pts
Felton: 35.1 mpg 36.6% FG 23.7% 3pt 85.7% FT 2.8 reb 5.8 ast 9.9 pts
JR: 31.5 mpg 32.8$ FG 28.6% 3pt 59.1% FT 4.6 reb 1.9 ast 11.7 pts

The poor coaching and poor play of our guards sucked the life out of Bargs. All those losses broke team spirit. Before Bargs lost all his confidence and enthusiasm, he was doing OK. Woody didn't make sure to keep him a part of the action. Bargs is the kind of player that has to be involved. He'll drift if he's not getting touches. That's the beauty of the Triangle, the ball gets to touch everyones hands and they are all active and engaged on every play.

dude you need to chill out with that crap and relax. You want to hang your hat on a 13 game stretch like that's something to hold on to even though he still had a negative +/-. What about December and January when he was "getting minutes"? I guess those don't count. He started the season sucking then had a good 13 games so the other 27 games just do not count.

He the definition of a negative player but I know to you he is awesome.

Well if he can't base his perfomance during a 13 game stretch, how do you base it on a 27 game stretch, with so many other issues that the team had.

Are you saying Barg can never be good no matter who you put around him, or no matter what system he plays in?

Are you taking woodson system into consideration, the PG play, the passes he got, the timing of his shots?

Are you determining his success strickly of off stats, is that truly the way to judge a player.

Bargs has never put together a really great season in his entire career? Even when he was putting up 17-20 points a game he was doing so inefficiently and playing atrocious defense. Then, the past 3 or 4 seasons he's been atrocious.

Why should we think he is all of sudden going to play up to expectations now?

Like Nix said, system basket ball..Players can change..

Jordan, ball hog, 50 shots a game 2 ast for 6 to 7 yrs, but under phil, 50% shooting, 5 ast, 6 rbs..

ES
yellowboy90
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #3538

7/23/2014  11:41 AM
H1AND1 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:When he was actually getting minutes Bargs was the 2nd best player on the team!!! People have seriously developed amnesia about last year. We didn't lose because of Bargnani. We lost cuz of Woody, JR, Felton sucking and Tyson breaking his leg etc. There were a myriad of reasons, but early in the year before Bargs lost his confidence and then got injured, he was avg'ing 16/6/1.3 blks on 47.4%, 81% FT and 37% from 3pt range. People just forget that he actually was doing that with Felton, Shump and JR stinking up the joint. IMO he most definitely can be a productive player. Coaching will make a huge difference and the presence of Jose will also help cuz they have chemistry.

What the F were you watching at the start of the year when Bargs was in FACT the 2nd best player on the team. Don't piss on my posts if you're not gonna back up what you say with SOMETHING. I hate that ISH.

The poor coaching and poor play of our guards sucked the life out of Bargs. All those losses broke team spirit. Before Bargs lost all his confidence and enthusiasm, he was doing OK. Woody didn't make sure to keep him a part of the action. Bargs is the kind of player that has to be involved. He'll drift if he's not getting touches. That's the beauty of the Triangle, the ball gets to touch everyones hands and they are all active and engaged on every play.

dude you need to chill out with that crap and relax. You want to hang your hat on a 13 game stretch like that's something to hold on to even though he still had a negative +/-. What about December and January when he was "getting minutes"? I guess those don't count. He started the season sucking then had a good 13 games so the other 27 games just do not count.

Well if he can't base his perfomance during a 13 game stretch, how do you base it on a 27 game stretch, with so many other issues that the team had.

Are you saying Barg can never be good no matter who you put around him, or no matter what system he plays in?

Are you taking woodson system into consideration, the PG play, the passes he got, the timing of his shots?

Are you determining his success strickly of off stats, is that truly the way to judge a player.

Bargs has never put together a really great season in his entire career? Even when he was putting up 17-20 points a game he was doing so inefficiently and playing atrocious defense. Then, the past 3 or 4 seasons he's been atrocious.

No I believe he had 2 efficient shooting years(going from memory could be wrong) but that didn't make up for being a waste in the other areas of the game. Honestly he could still be what he is on offense and still have an impact if he played quality team defense.

The only hope I have for Bargnani is that it is a contract year for him. "Contract" Bargnani may very well turn into NBA player and hopefully moves on to another team.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/23/2014  12:00 PM
Watching the clip Nix posted, Bargs has really good chemistry with Prigs and JR.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
VCoug
Member: #1406

7/23/2014  12:10 PM
knicks1248 wrote:
H1AND1 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

Like Nix said, system basket ball..Players can change..

Jordan, ball hog, 50 shots a game 2 ast for 6 to 7 yrs, but under phil, 50% shooting, 5 ast, 6 rbs..

I'm sorry, but if you believe this you don't know anything about basketball. Jordan's rookie year he averaged 5.9 asst. In his entire career he averaged fewer than 4 asst three times: his 2nd year when he broke his foot and missed most of the season; his last year in Chicago; and the last year of his career. In 1988-89, a year before Jackson took over as coach, Jordan averaged 8 asst. For the first 5 years of Jordan's career, the 5 years before Jackson was coach, he shot under 50% twice one of which was the year he broke his foot. Jordan averaged at least 5 reb every season except one, his 2nd year when he broke his foot. In 1988-89, again the season before Phil was hired as coach, he averaged 8 reb.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
H1AND1
Member: #5648

7/23/2014  12:13 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
H1AND1 wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

No I believe he had 2 efficient shooting years(going from memory could be wrong) but that didn't make up for being a waste in the other areas of the game. Honestly he could still be what he is on offense and still have an impact if he played quality team defense.

The only hope I have for Bargnani is that it is a contract year for him. "Contract" Bargnani may very well turn into NBA player and hopefully moves on to another team.

Fair enough.

That GIF makes me want to gouge out my eyes. LOL.

VCoug
Member: #1406

7/23/2014  12:13 PM
Markji wrote:
nixluva wrote:If you look at the following highlight video notice the offense we're running and how sloppy it is. How often Bargnani gets the ball out of prime position. So often guys are just standing around. Also he's a much more active player when he's been involved in the game. He'll defend better. It's just the way he is. Seems to me that many of his coaches haven't paid attention to this. Now in this system at least the ball is designed to be passed to the big men so they can get a feel and be involved. He can survey the court and see what the defense does and make better decisions, closer to the basket. What I see in this video is a player with talent and size that needs to be coached up. He has the ability to do so much more than he has. Let's see what Phil and his boys can do.

I agree with Nixluva on Bargs. Better coaching and team ball will help him. We have a 7 footer who can shoot the 3.

What I like on this video is seeing how far out and how reluctant Dwight Howard is to come out to the 3 pt line to guard Bargs. The result is that Bargs is open for the 3, and also Howard is out of position for the rebound. It screws up Houston's D and rebounding positions.

Who is this 7-footer who can shoot from 3? It certainly isn't Bargnani. He hasn't shot well from 3 in 5 years, 2009-10, when he shot 37%. Since then he's shot 34%, 29%, 30%, and 27%.

Now the joy of my world is in Zion How beautiful if nothing more Than to wait at Zion's door I've never been in love like this before Now let me pray to keep you from The perils that will surely come
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/23/2014  12:25 PM
VCoug wrote:
Markji wrote:

Who is this 7-footer who can shoot from 3? It certainly isn't Bargnani. He hasn't shot well from 3 in 5 years, 2009-10, when he shot 37%. Since then he's shot 34%, 29%, 30%, and 27%.

Yeah, it's not that people are reluctant to guard Bargs on the perimeter!
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/23/2014  12:30 PM
VCoug wrote:
Markji wrote:

yeah but in woodsons so called system, the dude was camping out at the 3 point line, or shooting ill advised 3's, in phils triangle, he will be a mid range big, like horace grant, pau gasol, pipen, odom, horry, luc longly. Bigs who can shoot really well from 15 ft, thrive in the triangle, I mean they ended up being so open, for either a 12 foot base line jumper, or and elbow jumper, and if you look at Bargi, and Amare's shots in those area's, it's like 60%.

So why shouldn't we feel a little excited, you think phil is saying that to boost his stock, no ones stupid, barg's has been pretty bad, you can't make ppl believe that unless you personally know how your going to make him succeed

ES
yellowboy90

7/23/2014  12:34 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:
VCoug wrote:
Markji wrote:

Yeah, it's not that people are reluctant to guard Bargs on the perimeter!

Yeah he needs to stop taking 3s. I am not sure he can. Has there been an example where a player "eliminated" (figuratively) the 3? Maybe Wade but I am not sure the volumes he used to shoot and how many seasons he shot more than 2-3 a game.

yellowboy90

7/23/2014  12:41 PM
Contract Bargs is reportedly putting in work in Italy and looks slimmer. This is for you and your hope Nix.

Bonn1997
USA
7/23/2014  12:49 PM
Does he need to get thinner? Why?
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/23/2014  1:04 PM
I said this all last year, Bargs has been a top tier Pick and Pop player and should be used that way. Get him in the midrange where he can use that skill and his game should be more efficient. He doesn't have to really be a great % 3pt shooter the fact that he can go out there is still effective in spacing the floor. In the end it's about coaching and putting your players in the best position to succeed. This is the best system for Bargs IMO. It keeps him in the part of his game that he is best at. No one is saying he's a great player, but we have him on the roster and it's incumbent upon Fish to get the best out of him. I think Phil said he expected a good year from Bargs because he knows he should be better with their coaching and system.

I love that we can actually use Knicks SL games to show some of the basic options this offense creates. This video shows some of the Pinch Post options which should fit Bargs skills just fine. It's hard to fully understand but you have to imagine how a player would fit in with their skills. Melo and Bargs both have the kind of game that should thrive in these setups. The pinch post out at the elbow is a perfect spot for these guys. Help can't come because of the off ball action and that leaves a great one on one situations.

Bonn1997
USA
7/23/2014  1:06 PM
nixluva wrote:I said this all last year, Bargs has been a top tier Pick and Pop player and should be used that way. Get him in the midrange where he can use that skill and his game should be more efficient. He doesn't have to really be a great % 3pt shooter the fact that he can go out there is still effective in spacing the floor. In the end it's about coaching and putting your players in the best position to succeed. This is the best system for Bargs IMO. It keeps him in the part of his game that he is best at. No one is saying he's a great player, but we have him on the roster and it's incumbent upon Fish to get the best out of him. I think Phil said he expected a good year from Bargs because he knows he should be better with their coaching and system.

I love that we can actually use Knicks SL games to show some of the basic options this offense creates. This video shows some of the Pinch Post options which should fit Bargs skills just fine. It's hard to fully understand but you have to imagine how a player would fit in with their skills. Melo and Bargs both have the kind of game that should thrive in these setups. The pinch post out at the elbow is a perfect spot for these guys. Help can't come because of the off ball action and that leaves a great one on one situations.

there are a lot of guys who could go out to the 3 point line and make 25% of their 3 point shots. That doesn't mean they help spread the floor. They might just be providing comic relief for the opponent.

yellowboy90

7/23/2014  1:31 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:Does he need to get thinner? Why?

Conditioning, idk? He did look pudgy last year and there have been multiple reports about a lack of work ethic or something to that effect. Will slimnani translate into better player? Doubtful.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/23/2014  2:03 PM
No so much pudgy. No muscle tone, no athletism which is a sign of him not putting in the extra work to at least try to look like a basketball player. Conditioning is almost half the battle. Melo struggled with this late in his Denver career and his first season here until Woodson took the initiative to demand he comes into camp in shape
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/23/2014  2:07 PM
When in his 20yr career did Dirk come in to camp looking like Bargnani. Even as a damn near 40yr old coming off of major injury he came into camp in Prestine condition.

We don't see all the extra effort these guys put in behind the scenes and in the offseason to be the best most conditioned athletes they can be. Until we see when they don't. Bargnani and Felton. A big part of last years slow start was conditioning. Alan Hahn kept bringing it up and he is in on camp and practices and in tune with the coaches.

tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
7/23/2014  2:09 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:
H1AND1 wrote:To me Bargs sucks and is a net negative on the court until he proves otherwise. Jackson is talking him
up and paying lip service cause we are stuck with him til 2015.

Onviously I don't have high hopes for a Bargs renaissance. Believe me I wish it will happen but I think it's well past proven that he is garbage no matter what system he is in.

I hope I'm wrong (I've been wrong many times before and am a pessimist so...)

Always better to be a pessimist... you can never be disappointed when proven right, and when you're wrong you're happy to be so.

I think Bargnani will have a resurgence, offensively, and do fine with the Triangle.

Problem is on the other end, where it will be hard to teach a guy, who for years has been a poor rebounder and help defender, how to do better in those areas. Some of this has to do with a kind of instinct that you've developed over the years. He simply does not have that ball hawking mentality that good rebounders have and a weak side help attitude that you see in the best shot blockers.

You may be able to get him to think about these things a little more, and maybe he makes some effort, but you really need him paired with players who can mask his deficiencies.

Bargs really didn't have a bad year last year, but he is who he is.. a good mirange shooter who doesn't create or play defense and rebound..

He doesn't bring to the table what the knicks need.. so even when he plays well, it is like.. Ok.. no huge impact... because he just isn't good enough at what he does to move the meter much..

I keep hearing this talk of the Triangle like it is magic dust.. sprinkle on any scrub player and they are better... Here is a key, good players usually play well in most any system... the triangle can expose you as well as could any system, and especially so for players that are not that good like bargnani..

I really don't expect much from this dude.. as someone said, we have enough data on him to pretty much determine that bargs is not that good...

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/23/2014  2:09 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:Does he need to get thinner? Why?

Conditioning, idk? He did look pudgy last year and there have been multiple reports about a lack of work ethic or something to that effect. Will slimnani translate into better player? Doubtful.

He was already a 7'er that could get by his man and so him being in better shape is a good thing. He was seriously sick last year when he should've been working out so i'm sure that effected his conditioning. Phil said he told all the players to come to camp in top shape so "Contract Bargnani" may indeed come into camp in the best shape of his career. It only makes sense. Most players give you their best season in a contract year. I just tire of the constant diss on the guy without using any rationale.

Here's my rationale. Better system and coaching. Contract year. Better PG play which is key. Bargs has talent that hasn't been maximized so far in his career. Most players will be better in Phil's team 1st environment.

nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
7/23/2014  3:47 PM
I'm with ya nixluva..

I remember a few games last year where Bargs was a beast on defense, in particular against Dwight Howard.
I also remember the announcer stating: "I can't believe I'm gonna say this, but what are the Knicks going to do on defense when Bargnani hits the bench?"

A few of those games he had some very inspiring blocks and generally played with Passion... but then he got hurt.

If healthy, Bargnani will have a great 14/15 season... and of course it will help that it is a contract year.

Bargs: Do you agree with Jackson when it comes to Bargnani? Do you think Bargnani can be a “surprise” for the Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy