F Amare or Jason Smith
F-Shumpert
G THJ
G Pablo P

Shane Larkin
Wayne Ellington
Cleanthony Early
Jeremy Tyler

We have 3 scorers in the starting line up good rim protection and good size throughout the line up.

The back up line up depending on match ups we can give some time off to each player Smith and Amare so they last and mix and match against teams with the three bigs.

We have two main scorers in Amare and THJ and the defense is better in that group. If the Knicks are interested in trade--it should come from Ellington and let guys build up their own trade value with a new year. Let competition rain--if Larkin or Early can beat out anyone--than so be it.

I thunk just let be be for now.

RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
7/21/2014  9:12 PM
DNP Bargani and trade JR for PF who rebounds like a man possessed
WaltLongmire
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #5843

7/21/2014  9:25 PM
gunsnewing wrote:DNP Bargani and trade JR for PF who rebounds like a man possessed

Having this kind of PF would allay your fears about Anthony's shoulders, too, a favorite topic of yours recently.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
Finestrg
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1069

7/21/2014  9:37 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/21/2014  11:23 PM
BRIGGS wrote:C-Dalembart 6-11 250
F-Bargnani 7-0 245
F Melo 6-8 240
F Smith 6-6 225
G Calderon 6-3 190

C-Cole A or Jason Smith
F Amare or Jason Smith
F-Shumpert
G THJ
G Pablo P

Shane Larkin
Wayne Ellington
Cleanthony Early
Jeremy Tyler

We have 3 scorers in the starting line up good rim protection and good size throughout the line up.

The back up line up depending on match ups we can give some time off to each player Smith and Amare so they last and mix and match against teams with the three bigs.

We have two main scorers in Amare and THJ and the defense is better in that group. If the Knicks are interested in trade--it should come from Ellington and let guys build up their own trade value with a new year. Let competition rain--if Larkin or Early can beat out anyone--than so be it.

Good post...I tend to agree. I'm the first lunatic on here to come on and say go get this guy, go get that guy, trade this for that--it's an upgrade, blah, blah...

You're right though -- you laid out the lineup there and it looks good. There's good depth, real good size all of a sudden (been back & forth on it but I'm really liking the Jason Smith signing now--he's big and he's skilled--he should help us), a dominant scorer, tremendous SG depth (I know it's crowded but I actually like Ellington -- dude's a tremendous shooter if we could get him going right, real good for this system but I also agree---he could be a nice inexpensive trading chip with some value if the right deal presents itself too), enough depth at PG, a pretty good looking rookie SF we should try to work in as soon as we can manage it (trial by fire might be the best move or, if he's really not looking ready for the big-time by the end of camp, send him down to develop further in the DL)....Nowhere near championship quality yet but it's a good rebuild done on the fly with an eye toward getting even better once the cap room opens up next summer...A lot to be thankful for -- we could be close to challenging for something meaningful soon...

My couple of things (minor but I think they could help): possibly one more PF (if we can't get a starting caliber PF like Ilyasova, at least gimmie a cheap upgrade over Tyler who I'm not feelin' -- there are better options out there, even for the minimum) and a better 3rd PG over Pablo, preferably another young option to team up with Larkin--I hope Larkin gets the backup PG spot and gets quality mins--he'd be a much more potent/exciting/dynamic weapon to have out there over Pablo---Pablo backing up Calderon with Larkin sitting isn't how I would go with it).

Thing is -- let's not do anything to jeopardize our good situation. Need to be esp. mindful of this damn cap space coming up. If we decide to do something significant, it's gotta make sense cap-wise and/or gotta be for the right player -- a difference maker. Can't do anything that makes us a smidge better in the short-term but wrecks the cap space moving forward. Absolutely no I. Thomas type moves -- jerkbeef moves like that set a team back years...Phil's been around a long time--I'm confident he understands that). That's why I try to focus on guys that would come dirt cheap that I see something in or bigger moves that won't destroy future cap room -- ex. Ilyasova for Smith/Pablo balances out cap-wise -- there's no way JR's not opting in for his option when the time comes -- I like this player for us. I think that move would be an upgrade in the right spot and may even be worth adding a sweetener to in order to complete---probably never happens so I'm ready to move on from it)...But yeah, we look to be in good shape right now. Maybe the best thing to do is sit tight and let this play out for the time being -- let's start this off, preserve this precious cap space and see what we got. There's a lot of pieces here and it looks like a lot of it could come together/fit together nicely...Anything we do from here to the cap space has got to be the right move. We might be able to make a little noise this coming year if we get lucky and things really click but let's be honest---it's not really about next year. I'm willing to be patient. Hopefully within the next year or two, we'll be ready.

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
7/21/2014  9:51 PM
I'd like to see Larkin grab 20-25 mins per game. I think he adds something to our lineup and is a good complement to Calderon. I think with Amare and Bargnani we are flipping a coin that one will be useful this year.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/21/2014  9:53 PM
gunsnewing wrote:DNP Bargani and trade JR for PF who rebounds like a man possessed

Guns--Bargs looks really fit in some of the pictures form the offseason--I do not think he has been in this level of fitness in NY. IF Phil can get Bargs to stick with the mid range and in game--this is a guy capable of 20+ 6-7 rebounds from the 5-4 spot. he also helps the defense with the extra size and will allow the C position to snare more rebounds.

JR is ALSO a potential 20 pt scorer who really came on late last year. I want to come in fresh here. This is a 29-30 year old player who can really play when healthy and his head is on straight--he also is a willing rebounder defender passer. We DO NOT have that in any other SG--he is a much better all around player than THJ at this point.

You're honestly looking at close to 40 points a night of fire power--there are caveats with both guys--but let Phil take care of that side--he has handled the biggest names--he can handle these guys and get them to play the way he wants. Then we go to talent and they both have it--ANY trade will be downgrading the roster AT THIS POINT. THJ is a 6th man type--not ready to start yet.

We have on paper a very decent team. We lack some speed and athleticism--AND that may show at times. BUT we have size skills and a system that we did not have the last few years. Guys like Amare Bargs Smith can all take load off of Melo and thats not counting other low double digit scorers like Calderon and THJ.

I like to look at the 54 win team as say--well we have some different pieces now but the skeleton of that 54 win team is here and lets let it go in a division where things have evened out.

If Bargs works out--maybe its easier to retain him and find another great player. If not--then we have may expiring contracts and we can make determinations starting before the trade deadline. Big mistake now is to go overboard. Lets let it be.

RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
7/21/2014  9:54 PM
VDesai wrote:I'd like to see Larkin grab 20-25 mins per game. I think he adds something to our lineup and is a good complement to Calderon. I think with Amare and Bargnani we are flipping a coin that one will be useful this year.

I think if he earns it over Pablo--then he should play. Let him earn it.

RIP Crushalot😞
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

7/22/2014  8:17 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2014  8:22 AM
BRIGGS wrote:C-Dalembart 6-11 250
F-Bargnani 7-0 245
F Melo 6-8 240
F Smith 6-6 225
G Calderon 6-3 190

C-Cole A or Jason Smith
F Amare or Jason Smith
F-Shumpert
G THJ
G Pablo P

Shane Larkin
Wayne Ellington
Cleanthony Early
Jeremy Tyler

We need to make a trade but everyones value is at its lowest point. Plus the guys we are talking about trading JR and Shumpert are the only 1's that can guard anyone on the perimeter.

On a side note I really hope they give Aldrich a legit chance to play. He looked good in the summer league game.. Wish the NBA would stop blocking my videos, I did a 11 minute cut up of him

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
7/22/2014  8:43 AM
BRIGGS wrote:

Guns--Bargs looks really fit in some of the pictures form the offseason--I do not think he has been in this level of fitness in NY. IF Phil can get Bargs to stick with the mid range and in game--this is a guy capable of 20+ 6-7 rebounds from the 5-4 spot. he also helps the defense with the extra size and will allow the C position to snare more rebounds.

JR is ALSO a potential 20 pt scorer who really came on late last year. I want to come in fresh here. This is a 29-30 year old player who can really play when healthy and his head is on straight--he also is a willing rebounder defender passer. We DO NOT have that in any other SG--he is a much better all around player than THJ at this point.

You're honestly looking at close to 40 points a night of fire power--there are caveats with both guys--but let Phil take care of that side--he has handled the biggest names--he can handle these guys and get them to play the way he wants. Then we go to talent and they both have it--ANY trade will be downgrading the roster AT THIS POINT. THJ is a 6th man type--not ready to start yet.

We have on paper a very decent team. We lack some speed and athleticism--AND that may show at times. BUT we have size skills and a system that we did not have the last few years. Guys like Amare Bargs Smith can all take load off of Melo and thats not counting other low double digit scorers like Calderon and THJ.

I like to look at the 54 win team as say--well we have some different pieces now but the skeleton of that 54 win team is here and lets let it go in a division where things have evened out.

If Bargs works out--maybe its easier to retain him and find another great player. If not--then we have may expiring contracts and we can make determinations starting before the trade deadline. Big mistake now is to go overboard. Lets let it be.

on paper, I'd go with Bargs at the 5, and maybe Amar'e at the 4 & Melo at the 3.

But, I don't think you can count on Bargs for anything but the dollars you're paying him.

I might start the season and see if he can fit the system - who knows, maybe he is the brainy euro-type player who will excel in the triangle. But if he isn't contributing, buy him out and find an undrafted player to fill his roster spot.

WaltLongmire
Member: #5843

7/22/2014  12:25 PM
Has it been etched in stone that Anthony will starting at the 3 or 4?

Defense is where there are issues.

On the offensive end, Bargnani should do fine at the 4 or 5, but if you go small and are starting Anthony at 4 and Bargs at 5, you have the worst shot blocking 4/5 combo in the league, and Anthony gets banged around down low and has to be responsible for the rebounding again.

Seems to me that Anthony has to play 3 (hope the team is communicating with him, because if he is slotted in at the 3, he should lose 15-20 lbs), and I think that Phil/Fish is going to look at Bargnani as a poor man's Pau (offense only!). Bargnani at the 4 would mean you have to have to pair him with a good help D shot blocker and someone who can rebound. Aldrich, Chris Smith, and Dalembert are what we have. C. Smith, if healthy, should also be able to play at the 4. Phil also commented in the SL broadcast that Amare is perhaps at his best in the 5 slot. Not sure I would want Bargs and Amare starting together, though. Throw in Tyler as a wildcard, too.

I actually think we have a decent mix of bigs to choose from depending on the situation. None of them is a complete player from what I can see, but when have the Knicks had 5 players at 6'11"+ on the team at one time?

Most of our bigs are also playing for a contract for next year, whether on the Knicks or another team. Except for Anthony, the front line should be open to competition. In terms of passing, both for assists and keeping the flow, Bargs and Aldrich may have the edge. Not that familiar with Smith and Dalembert. Amare can make a decent pass, but I'm not thrilled with his decision making, and he has been known to be turnover prone. Dalembert, Aldrich, and Smith seem to be decent weak side help shot blockers, and Amare has had his moments.

With the guys we have on the team at this moment, I can see a somewhat slow start until they assimilate the Triangle and Phil/Fish decide who best fits the system.

We are also auditioning for next year's FA, and players who show their value can be resigned, or have value to other teams in a S&T.

I don't actually care if we make the playoffs this year, as long at we are coming on at the end of the season and beating potential playoff teams looking to improve their positions in the standings. If we make the playoffs, our younger guys get valuable experience, and we have proof that the Triangle can succeed. If we don't make them, we get a lottery pick, and hope that we get lucky.

EnySpree: Can we agree to agree not to mention Phil Jackson and triangle for the rest of our lives?
RonRon
Member: #246
7/22/2014  2:55 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2014  3:08 PM
I really think AB is more of a non rebounding stretch Center
He has shown he can defend, 1v1, however, is a poor help defender for the most part
He can use his length, quickness/athleticism/mobility on C's but not on PF's

However, Dalembert is NO Tyson Chandler, meaning he is much more mobile/athletic/skilled/longer so he can help our TEAM DEFENSE and defend his own man at the same time in limited minutes

I think we have to remember we are trying to implement the triangle, so we preferably would need 2-3 post up options, with at least 3 good shooters
I thought last season one of our better lineups was

AB
Tyler/Kmart *with their mobility/athleticism to initiate a fast break, finish on a break, and play good help DEF* With Tyler he has shown he can be a decent post option however, his stamina is the biggest question
CA

The above 3 forms our triangle with anyone that can post up and shoot, with our PF playing the high post, possibly even Cole Aldrich as the C

SG *could really go with anyone from Iman/JR Smith/Tim Hardaway battling it out, possibly even Thiannis growing into this role as he develops*
Calderon *playing Kidd's role but offering much more than Kidd*

I agree with that we should cut ties with Pablo and add another PG, from anyone from Sessions *sign and trade with Ilyasova, possibly Edoh/Delfino as well*/Darrius Morris *vet min
I like Jason Smith but not at the price of our 3.3m MLE, with players like Ed Davis for a 2 year vet min deal, from Drew Goodon, and Dejuan Blair signing a 3 year 6m deal that is a team option for 3rd year
We could have uses that money on Sessions/Bayless or used it on 1 player like James Johnson/Blair and the rest of it to sign/develop Thanasiss to a 3 year deal, possibly even Evan Turner for the full 3.3m MLE
I would even would have offered Shawn Marion despite his age around the 3m on a 2-3 year deal *with 3rd year being a team option* to compliment CA

For 2015, I believe we should look to sign and trade for Kevin Love with our 2015 1st round rights and 2018 1st round draft pick, along with other 2nd round picks/asset's
IF BLEDSOE signs the qualifying offer this summer, I would target him with the MAXish type money to compliment Calderon with his versatility to play PG/SG and ability to penetrate/defend at a high level

I am not sold on Marc Gasol/Rhondo as max players
Would much rather sign Dragic and another talented SF/PF like Jeff Green/Thad Young/Wilson Chandler *team option* than Gasol/Rhondo as max players, possibly even Rudy Gay if he can be had at 5-8m like Monta Ellis took less to sign with The Mav's

smackeddog
Member: #883
7/22/2014  4:21 PM
I think we are done- Phil has gone on holiday then I'm sure I read he was meant to be having another knee replacement op.
CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/22/2014  4:52 PM
smackeddog wrote:I think we are done- Phil has gone on holiday then I'm sure I read he was meant to be having another knee replacement op.

He definitely made the right decision to not coaching. Two knee replacements and a hip replacement are a lot to deal with.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
BRIGGS
7/22/2014  6:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/22/2014  6:08 PM
WaltLongmire wrote:Has it been etched in stone that Anthony will starting at the 3 or 4?

Defense is where there are issues.

On the offensive end, Bargnani should do fine at the 4 or 5, but if you go small and are starting Anthony at 4 and Bargs at 5, you have the worst shot blocking 4/5 combo in the league, and Anthony gets banged around down low and has to be responsible for the rebounding again.

Seems to me that Anthony has to play 3 (hope the team is communicating with him, because if he is slotted in at the 3, he should lose 15-20 lbs), and I think that Phil/Fish is going to look at Bargnani as a poor man's Pau (offense only!). Bargnani at the 4 would mean you have to have to pair him with a good help D shot blocker and someone who can rebound. Aldrich, Chris Smith, and Dalembert are what we have. C. Smith, if healthy, should also be able to play at the 4. Phil also commented in the SL broadcast that Amare is perhaps at his best in the 5 slot. Not sure I would want Bargs and Amare starting together, though. Throw in Tyler as a wildcard, too.

I actually think we have a decent mix of bigs to choose from depending on the situation. None of them is a complete player from what I can see, but when have the Knicks had 5 players at 6'11"+ on the team at one time?

Most of our bigs are also playing for a contract for next year, whether on the Knicks or another team. Except for Anthony, the front line should be open to competition. In terms of passing, both for assists and keeping the flow, Bargs and Aldrich may have the edge. Not that familiar with Smith and Dalembert. Amare can make a decent pass, but I'm not thrilled with his decision making, and he has been known to be turnover prone. Dalembert, Aldrich, and Smith seem to be decent weak side help shot blockers, and Amare has had his moments.

With the guys we have on the team at this moment, I can see a somewhat slow start until they assimilate the Triangle and Phil/Fish decide who best fits the system.

We are also auditioning for next year's FA, and players who show their value can be resigned, or have value to other teams in a S&T.

I don't actually care if we make the playoffs this year, as long at we are coming on at the end of the season and beating potential playoff teams looking to improve their positions in the standings. If we make the playoffs, our younger guys get valuable experience, and we have proof that the Triangle can succeed. If we don't make them, we get a lottery pick, and hope that we get lucky.

To me--many of our guys trade value is very low. Unless its a no brainer I'd sit and let it flow. I do not think we will get off slow--we have mostly vets and we are deep. In the triangle Amare Smith and Bargs are all keen mid range shooters--Im not worried about the pass so much--Im sure that they will know right away--if they are open shoot it if they are not pass it. We have an upgraded PG with more height--we have Smith healthy--we have more depth at PG and wing guard. We can easily play 10-11 guys. For now if we cant get a reasonable deal for Shumpert--he is fine at back up SF. I think this team is better than people think the premise I have is that 54 win team and our play at times last year. Keeping guys like Amare + Smith to me is key for this year--whether that sounds right or not.
I'd like to think we can play to win in 2014--thats the way Id do it. Id like to think we have one superstar a lot of size 2 vet PGs and an energetic third and a bunch of guys at the 2-3 who can play well and give the team the athleticism it doesnt have 1-4-5.

RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/22/2014  10:29 PM
That whole roster has only 1 or maybe 2 guys who are legitimate NBA starters.
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

7/22/2014  11:24 PM
Bonn1997 wrote:That whole roster has only 1 or maybe 2 guys who are legitimate NBA starters.

Interesting what qualifies a player as being an nba starter?

dk7th
Member: #4228
USA
7/23/2014  12:27 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:
Bonn1997 wrote:That whole roster has only 1 or maybe 2 guys who are legitimate NBA starters.

can he defend the position?

knicks win 38-43 games in 16-17. rose MUST shoot no more than 14 shots per game, defer to kp6 + melo, and have a usage rate of less than 25%
callmened
Member: #4234

7/23/2014  2:27 AM
i cringe at the thought of playing ...let alone starting bargnani

folks, players like JR smith and bargnani are LOSERS. these are players other teams and fans laugh at. you shouldnt want them on youre team if you are to be taken seriously

Knicks should be improved: win about 40 games and maybe sneak into the playoffs. Melo, Rose and even Noah will have some nice moments however this team should be about PORZINGUS. the sooner they make him the primary player, the better
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
7/23/2014  2:51 AM
yellowboy90 wrote:

looking fairly good in most advanced stat metrics helps
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
7/23/2014  6:26 AM
We dont have enough players that do things away from the ball. Bargs needs to stay at center if starting or off the bench, and we need a scrappy PF that does all the little things.

Which is the problem being locked in with Bargs and Amare. To many scores not enough balance.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Just keep the team as is into the season for now

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy