[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Larkin and THJ have shown they can contribute well at the pro level
Author Thread
Jmpasq
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #4182

7/19/2014  9:07 AM
F500ONE wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:Marshall can't really shoot or defend so I would pass. He had nice 3pt numbers but other than that everything else was poor. He doesn't knock down Fts so how can you count on him late in games?

He's probably a better defender than Calderon and a better 3pt shooter than Larkin.

He averaged almost 9ast-game on a crappy Laker roster in under 30min-game, not sure what's the issue if he could be had

Larkin before we acquired him shot a poor % field goal, poor % three point, poor % free throw.

How much scoring do we need from a backup point guard in the Triangle? Who's going to take over for Calderon as he ages?

Take over for as Caledron as he ages? I doubt Marshall or Larkin are that guy, that guy isnt on the roster

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
AUTOADVERT
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
7/19/2014  3:08 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
F500ONE wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:Marshall can't really shoot or defend so I would pass. He had nice 3pt numbers but other than that everything else was poor. He doesn't knock down Fts so how can you count on him late in games?

He's probably a better defender than Calderon and a better 3pt shooter than Larkin.

He averaged almost 9ast-game on a crappy Laker roster in under 30min-game, not sure what's the issue if he could be had

Larkin before we acquired him shot a poor % field goal, poor % three point, poor % free throw.

How much scoring do we need from a backup point guard in the Triangle? Who's going to take over for Calderon as he ages?

Take over for as Caledron as he ages? I doubt Marshall or Larkin are that guy, that guy isnt on the roster

It's hard to say with Larkin. He has considerable talent and depending on how he develops he could hold down the PG spot. It's always hard to know with a smaller PG and how he'll hold up against bigger PG's. Mi guess is that he'll lock in as a backup PG for this team. If Calderon is able to defend well enough then he'll be here for a good while since his shooting and passing is at elite level for the position.

CrushAlot
Member: #452
USA
7/19/2014  8:26 PM
Stein reporting that Kendall Marshall is going to sign with the bucks.
I'm tired,I'm tired, I'm so tired right now......Kristaps Porzingis 1/3/18
blkexec
Member: #748
7/20/2014  9:17 AM
BRIGGS wrote:Right now our two draft picks need developmental time. Thannis is 2-3 years away and Early needs to learn how to use a dribble and mix it up with more force.

Larkin to me is one of the better PG prospects I have seen over the last two years--he looks better than Napier. If he was 6-2 he'd be a top 3 pick

I have to disagree briggs about Early. ......but Agree with everything else.

Early reminds me of me....passive aggressive right now because he's still learning the system.

Plus hes the only backup SF on the team.

In general....there's no need to be picky this yr....because 2015-2016 is the start of our championship run.....And 2014 season should be used to see what these young guys can do....

I really like the Greek guy because he has a specialty which is defense....Tyler is special because he's a big and we are small. Larkin fills a need and THj is a diamond in the ruff.

Larkin
THJ
Tyler
Early

I also like the other pf that started every game who tried to block every shot. But I would not bring these guys in just to ride the bench....unless we can add another star via trade, you have to give these young guys playing time.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

7/20/2014  9:41 AM
So glad we have a d league team... Hopefully a lot of these guys go to westchester I really liked this summer league team a lot ... Nice to have a minor league when I jury's happen
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
7/20/2014  10:20 AM
blkexec wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:Right now our two draft picks need developmental time. Thannis is 2-3 years away and Early needs to learn how to use a dribble and mix it up with more force.

Larkin to me is one of the better PG prospects I have seen over the last two years--he looks better than Napier. If he was 6-2 he'd be a top 3 pick

Early reminds me of me....passive aggressive right now because he's still learning the system.

In general....there's no need to be picky this yr....because 2015-2016 is the start of our championship run.....And 2014 season should be used to see what these young guys can do....

I really like the Greek guy because he has a specialty which is defense....Tyler is special because he's a big and we are small. Larkin fills a need and THj is a diamond in the ruff.

Larkin
THJ
Tyler
Early

I also like the other pf that started every game who tried to block every shot. But I would not bring these guys in just to ride the bench....unless we can add another star via trade, you have to give these young guys playing time.

I'm not down on early I just think he didn't do anything to earn the back up sf position yet. I think we need a pro 3 back up and let Early start on the d league for10 games or so to work on his in game handle.I mean he could knock it out of the park in pre season but my guess is a little developmental time for him would do wonders

RIP Crushalot😞
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

7/20/2014  11:22 AM
Rookie wrote:
Dagger wrote:
Rookie wrote:The thing is, Early is the oldest of the 3 you mention and the further behind. Then you have Tyler who is also 23 (same as Early) and is also behind in development. Early will have his rookie season to catch up, but time is running out on Tyler. Ellington is 26, have to wonder how many 'projects' the Knicks can carry on the roster

Ellington was a trade throw-in, why do people keep bringing him up? He's our 4th string sg!

Because he is on our team?

Logic! Lol Silly people.

The Future is Bright!
yellowboy90
Member: #3538

7/20/2014  12:03 PM
CrushAlot wrote:Stein reporting that Kendall Marshall is going to sign with the bucks.

Jason Kidd has depth chart full of pgs that can't shoot. That seems right. I guess the prices are good but the team is full of worse versions of Brandon Jennings.

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
7/20/2014  2:18 PM
Not sure what to make of Larkin, really. Folks are acting as if he's so small that his upside is that of a Jameer Nelson.

When I see Larkin, I'm reminded of Rick Brunson and DJ Augustin.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
nixluva
USA
7/20/2014  3:40 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/20/2014  3:41 PM
technomaster wrote:Not sure what to make of Larkin, really. Folks are acting as if he's so small that his upside is that of a Jameer Nelson.

Larkin is a FREAK athlete but basically he's very much the same kind of player as Augustin. I think Larkin's edge is that he's a much
more physical and athletic player. He's more aggressive defensively and explosive offensively.

Hght 	   Hght                              No Step No Step Max   Max      
Name no Shoes w/shoes Wght Wingspan Reach Vert Reach Vert Reach Bench Agility Sprint
Larkin 5'-10.25" 5'-11.5" 171 5'-10.75" 7'-5.5" 34.5 10'-4" 44.0 11'-1.5" 12 10.64 3.08
Augustin 5'-10" 5'-11.5" 172 6'-3.5" 7'-10.5" 28.5 10'-3" 35.0 10'-9.5" 2 11.27 3.07

http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz382JrZRIt

It's funny that people were worried about Shane being too weak and look at how weak and pudgy Augustin was. Larkin is way more of
an athlete than Augustin. Larkin just has short arms. This is a good thing for Larkin in terms of his projected career. He can be
even better than Augustin which should make him a good NBA PG.

Larkin will be able to finish around the basket better than DJ since he has more explosion. We have to hope his shooting will improve
as it does for most young guards. I like his defense a lot tho. Larkin hustles and plays with energy and passion, but he's smart and thinks too.

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
7/20/2014  3:53 PM
I like Larkin as a 25 mpg. He is the kind of guy that changes the pace of the game on both ends. Could be like our Bobby Jackson.
yellowboy90

7/20/2014  5:20 PM
I am not a big Augustin fan so I hope Larkin turns out better and not be on his 5th team in 7yrs.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
7/20/2014  5:28 PM
Not huge on Augustin either, but he played good bball for the Bulls last year. If Larkin ends up playing like that, then its a good result. Still I see Larkin as not necessarily scoring a lot, but upping the tempo offensively and creating turnovers on defense. The last 2 games of summer league it seemed like Larkin could get a steal anytime he wanted. He looks like a real asset in a press defense.

You can see how he is almost a complete contrast from Calderon and therefore could be the perfect guy to pair with him. Calderon is steady, deliberate...Larkin more of a jitterbug.

nixluva
USA
7/20/2014  5:49 PM
Between Augustin and Larkin there is no comparison defensively. Larkin is far superior with a higher motor and athletic ability. I actually think Larkin can be a step above Augustin given his style of play. Augustin did a very good job this year, but he wasn't the spark plug that Nate was in a similar role with the Bulls. Augustin just doesn't have that other gear. I think Larkin has that other gear.
yellowboy90

7/20/2014  5:59 PM
nixluva wrote:Between Augustin and Larkin there is no comparison defensively. Larkin is far superior with a higher motor and athletic ability. I actually think Larkin can be a step above Augustin given his style of play. Augustin did a very good job this year, but he wasn't the spark plug that Nate was in a similar role with the Bulls. Augustin just doesn't have that other gear. I think Larkin has that other gear.

I'd wait to judge Larkin in regards to his defensive prowess until he plays actual minutes during this season. He has shown some good things but he gets lost a lot out there going around screens and I want to see him deal with the physicality on the big level.

H1AND1
Member: #5648

7/20/2014  6:06 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/20/2014  6:08 PM
BRIGGS wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Larkin
THJ
Tyler
Early

I'm not down on early I just think he didn't do anything to earn the back up sf position yet. I think we need a pro 3 back up and let Early start on the d league for10 games or so to work on his in game handle.I mean he could knock it out of the park in pre season but my guess is a little developmental time for him would do wonders

Early may have to learn on the job though. Who is back up SF right now? I'm not a fan of Shump at the 3 for any amount of serious minutes. I think next year is a transitional year even with Melo back in the fold and I think Early has a real shot at being a starter in the league. Might as well throw him into the fire and see how he progresses.

I really think Early dropping to us in the 2nd round was a huge stroke of luck. He plays with passion and seems tough and the type to not give up. Really pumped about him. Hopefully this posts doesn't sound like a foolish homerism in a few years, LOL.

newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
7/20/2014  9:17 PM
Early was said to have an NBA body but he needs to add a few more pounds of muscle IMO.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
BigRedDog
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #569
7/20/2014  9:30 PM
technomaster wrote:Not sure what to make of Larkin, really. Folks are acting as if he's so small that his upside is that of a Jameer Nelson.

Rick Brunson??? come on man, really??? You know your basketball. Keep those evaluations coming. Maybe next time watch the games with your eyes open, does wonders

Briggs-- Frank is 2 yrs away from being 2 years away
nixluva
USA
7/20/2014  11:09 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/20/2014  11:11 PM
yellowboy90 wrote:
nixluva wrote:Between Augustin and Larkin there is no comparison defensively. Larkin is far superior with a higher motor and athletic ability. I actually think Larkin can be a step above Augustin given his style of play. Augustin did a very good job this year, but he wasn't the spark plug that Nate was in a similar role with the Bulls. Augustin just doesn't have that other gear. I think Larkin has that other gear.

I'd wait to judge Larkin in regards to his defensive prowess until he plays actual minutes during this season. He has shown some good things but he gets lost a lot out there going around screens and I want to see him deal with the physicality on the big level.

we've started PG's who are worse at getting around screens. I saw no real evidence that we need to be concerned with Larkin getting over screens. He instead showed that he's quick and anticipates the screen and moves before the contact can come. I think maybe you need to watch him on defense again, cuz I didn't see any problem with him getting up into his man's space and getting steals and being disruptive. No PG is gonna be perfect on defense so I wouldn't be so harsh on him.

You think Augustin who is slower and weaker is better at getting around screens? I mean he's playing in the league and a team has found him useful at the PG spot. Why should Larkin who is stronger and more athletic have more problems than Augustin in this regard. Larkin did 12 reps at the combine and Augustin did 2. Derrick Rose did 10 reps and Russell Westbrook did 12. I mean basically Shane looks small and weak but he's not. He's probably a bit stronger now than he was at the Combine.

yellowboy90

7/20/2014  11:17 PM
nixluva wrote:
yellowboy90 wrote:

we've started PG's who are worse at getting around screens. I saw no real evidence that we need to be concerned with Larkin getting over screens. He instead showed that he's quick and anticipates the screen and moves before the contact can come. I think maybe you need to watch him on defense again, cuz I didn't see any problem with him getting up into his man's space and getting steals and being disruptive. No PG is gonna be perfect on defense so I wouldn't be so harsh on him.

You think Augustin who is slower and weaker is better at getting around screens? I mean he's playing in the league and a team has found him useful at the PG spot. Why should Larkin who is stronger and more athletic have more problems than Augustin in this regard. Larkin did 12 reps at the combine and Augustin did 2. Derrick Rose did 10 reps and Russell Westbrook did 12. I mean basically Shane looks small and weak but he's not. He's probably a bit stronger now than he was at the Combine.

I get you are a man of your convictions but the guy needs work on D. I like the pest in him but there are other things that go along with Defense. Also, Augustin is not his only comparison he is just one guard who is a traveling back up right now. Who cares if he is better than Augustin he needs to better than other pgs too. All I said is that I will reserve judgement until he plays significant time against the big boys.

Larkin and THJ have shown they can contribute well at the pro level

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy