[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks need a superstar
Author Thread
scylla
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #97
11/29/2001  4:22 PM
It's become conventional wisdom that the Knicks need to rebuild, but we don't have a player worth rebuilding around...to that end, I hope Layden and all are paying attention to the Clippers, seeing as Sterling is making noise about not paying to keep all his young talent. Personally, I would give up any two players on our roster for Odom, and any three for Odom and a high pick. Sterling is backwards enough to be swayed by cash incentives, and mixing some of our role-playing vets with their young'uns might actually make sense for the Clips. Plus, if they know in advance they're going to have to let someone good go, they can at least send them somewhere far enough away that they only get burned twice a year. I know it's kind of a pipe-dream trade, but how often will we have even a chance to attract a young star, remote as it may be? He's on the verge of being just a ridiculous, versatile Allstar; he's from NY, so the Garden might actually hold some allure for him, as opposed to all the free agents who pay lip service to 'the Mecca of blah blah blah'; he is, for the moment, slightly damaged goods and possibly available for a shade less than usual. Plus, Donlad Sterling is just a monumental, mismanaging idiot enjoying a run of luck (sorry, Elgin) that was due to end about six months ago. We should jockeying for position to benefit from his inevitable spasm of incompetence, and we need to get there before the teams with desirable, tradeable assets get there first. Essentially, Scott Layden needs to get someone whispering sweet nothings in Odom's ear. If he limits his recruiting options to the plastic MSG miniature replicas with which he wooed Chris Webber (the accompanying MSG fannypack with water bottle was a classy touch, I thought), we're in a bad way.
AUTOADVERT
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
11/29/2001  4:39 PM
Clips will become interesting when the big names are talking contract extension or when they have become free agents. Then we'll see if Sterling "tight pockets" will really show the money or will trade his now expensive talent for young talent and draft picks. Right now I don't see any trades happening but when Odom, Brand and Maggete are up for contract extension the rumors will come down like rain.
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
11/29/2001  6:49 PM
I honestly don't think we have a chance at getting a clippers player straigt up becausewho on our roster (besides camby) could we give up for odom?Sprewell is making over 10 million a year, as is Houston...camby is cheap but would they do a camby for odom deal? and would we give up our only size?
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/29/2001  8:04 PM
The thing that people need to stop staying is it's time for us to rebuild because it's not. We don't have any true superstars, but we have three all-star-type players with the willingness to win like superstars should, or at least Sprewell's like that. I think we need to put the best talent around them possible and go from there. If we trade for a solid starter like Raef LaFrentz or Marc Jackson this season, then we will have done our job. Then this summer we need to sign another quality starter or 6th or 7th man at least and try to spread the talent as best as possible amongst the 5 starters and 3 or 4 remaining in the rotation. If we end up with Sprewell, Houston, and Camby along with players like LaFrentz, Weatherspoon, Anderson, and maybe a player like Stoudamire or maybe Marc Jackson, then we will be in fine shape. No complete rebuilding is required.
Caseloads
Member: #41
11/29/2001  10:30 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

The thing that people need to stop staying is it's time for us to rebuild because it's not. We don't have any true superstars, but we have three all-star-type players with the willingness to win like superstars should, or at least Sprewell's like that. I think we need to put the best talent around them possible and go from there. If we trade for a solid starter like Raef LaFrentz or Marc Jackson this season, then we will have done our job. Then this summer we need to sign another quality starter or 6th or 7th man at least and try to spread the talent as best as possible amongst the 5 starters and 3 or 4 remaining in the rotation. If we end up with Sprewell, Houston, and Camby along with players like LaFrentz, Weatherspoon, Anderson, and maybe a player like Stoudamire or maybe Marc Jackson, then we will be in fine shape. No complete rebuilding is required.
How we gonna get Stoudy without giving up anyone with a big contract... we gonna put together a Travis Knight/Ward/Harrington Deal and hope to snag him? Good LUCK!
Dano
Member: #69
11/30/2001  9:59 AM
Sure, the Clippers look great on paper, but they're having a pretty lackluster year.

I would love for the Knicks to get Odom too. But if he gets stuck
with the ganj one more time he may get expelled from the league.

The Knicks have three allstars who have the ability to propel themselves to superstardome under the right circumstances.

Damn Stoudamire is way over-rated. I dont agree with trading players
for a minor upgrade at the point when our most glaring weakness is
at the center position.

Caseloads
11/30/2001  11:15 AM
Posted by Dano:

Sure, the Clippers look great on paper, but they're having a pretty lackluster year.

I would love for the Knicks to get Odom too. But if he gets stuck
with the ganj one more time he may get expelled from the league.

The Knicks have three allstars who have the ability to propel themselves to superstardome under the right circumstances.

Damn Stoudamire is way over-rated. I dont agree with trading players
for a minor upgrade at the point when our most glaring weakness is
at the center position.
If we could upgrade the Center spot, we should, but we should also try to upgrade the PG spot...
Dano
11/30/2001  11:23 AM
We would need to give up too much for Stoudamire. He's not worth it.

Trading Kurt and Eisley for Stoudamire is totally not worth it.
Caseloads
11/30/2001  12:44 PM
Posted by Dano:

We would need to give up too much for Stoudamire. He's not worth it.

Trading Kurt and Eisley for Stoudamire is totally not worth it.
Eisley, Harrington and Travis Knight is worth Stoudy.
Dano
11/30/2001  1:26 PM
Eisley, Harrington and Knight will not get you Stoudamire.
Caseloads
11/30/2001  1:54 PM
Posted by Dano:

Eisley, Harrington and Knight will not get you Stoudamire.
If they want to ditch him, yes, it will.
Dano
11/30/2001  2:51 PM
Why do they want to ditch Stoudamire? Who will their PG be?
Knicks need a superstar

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy