[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

LAC's Draft Pick
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
5/25/2004  2:23 PM
The Clippers have the 5th best chance to get the number 1 pick, and a pretty good shot at breaking into the top 3.

I think the Knicks have a shot at Chris Wilcox only if they know Quentin Richardson is signing with Denver and need to draft a swingman like Josh Smith or b) they pull a typical Clippers draft pick and draft somebody they don't need, like when they took Wilcox and Ely when they had Olowokandi and Brand.

If they DONT take a point guard, which is unlikely (Devin Harris or Ben Gordon would fit in really well with that team), I think they'd bite on Trybanski and Frank Williams for Wilcox. I think that's a move that makes great sense for each team. The Clips get a PG to run the team since Jaric showed he couldn't do that, plus an expiring contract, and they deal from their wealth and give the Knicks one of their many big men.

The Knicks need to get an athletic post presence to block shots and just have the ability to guard the various other athletic big men around the league, mainly the guy named Kenyon Martin.

Wilcox, Chris Andersen, guys like that who are cheap and could break out given playing time are guys I would try to target. Mutumbo will be traded, so it's essential to get a shotbloker, or their porous perimeter D will look even worse.
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/25/2004  2:53 PM
no chance the Clippers would trade Wilcox to the Knicks...if they want a PG, they only need to use their lottery pick & take Ben Gordon, Shaun Livingston or Devin Harris...

if you had a young PF who was only 21 years old who you drafted #6 overall just a couple of years ago, would you trade him for a 24 year old backup PG who was taken #25 overall the same year along w/cap filler? i sure wouldn't.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/25/2004  3:29 PM
Posted by TMS:

no chance the Clippers would trade Wilcox to the Knicks...if they want a PG, they only need to use their lottery pick & take Ben Gordon, Shaun Livingston or Devin Harris...

if you had a young PF who was only 21 years old who you drafted #6 overall just a couple of years ago, would you trade him for a 24 year old backup PG who was taken #25 overall the same year along w/cap filler? i sure wouldn't.

so you are saying ,would I trade a backup PF who is now 23 for a backup SG who is just one year older and I have a need for a real PG.. I say yes.. Frank is only a backup because stephon is on the knicks, as a starter frank is something like 5-0, he has proven he can play with the best PG's in the league and the Clippers really need a PG.. We know ben gordon is good but is he really a PG? We don't know anything about Livingston, I mean isn't he a HS PG? Do the clippers want to wait and go through the pains of developing a HS Point guard in one of the hardest positions in the NBA? I say Frankie would be a good choice for them...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
TMS
USA
5/25/2004  3:52 PM
you may think it's a fair deal, but i highly doubt the Clippers would share in your esteem of Frank...they will only care about the actual stats he put up last season...compare the 2 & you will need to give them more if you want to get Wilcox than just Trybanski as a cap filler.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/25/2004  3:55 PM
If Dallas had the same point-of-view as yours, they would never have traded for Steve Nash. They traded 2 1st round players, a 2nd round player and a 1st round pick for Steve Nash. A backup PG.
BigSm00th
USA
5/25/2004  5:37 PM
Sometimes I feel that people don't even read what I (or other people) write, they just go off on their own tangents.

Example:

I wrote: "If they DONT take a point guard, which is unlikely (Devin Harris or Ben Gordon would fit in really well with that team), I think they'd bite on Trybanski and Frank Williams for Wilcox."
TMS writes: "no chance the Clippers would trade Wilcox to the Knicks...if they want a PG, they only need to use their lottery pick & take Ben Gordon, Shaun Livingston or Devin Harris..."

This really boggles my mind.

Regardless, they need a PG. They have Elton Brand playing PF and Chris Kaman playing C. What is more valuable, a starting PG or a backup PF? Thats the point I'm making, because they have Brand, why would they keep Wilcox? Would they deal him, even if it might be a tad one-sided, to get a PG who can distribute the ball to their scorers. I think that is at least a realistic proposal, and not some of the other garbage like Othella and Dikembe for Kobe or ridiculous things like that that I read on other threads.
#Knickstaps
TMS
USA
5/25/2004  5:57 PM
the point is, they WON'T make that trade...so go ahead & imagine it's a fair deal all you want...if i'm the Clippers there's no way in hell i would make that trade...sorry.

(no need for sarcasm either...i was just replying to your post.)
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/25/2004  6:47 PM
draft postions is not relevent. Would you trade frank a first rounder for micheal redd, a second rounder?

I would not trade Frank for Wilcox. Chris has shown nothing and frank is more valuable.
tkf
5/25/2004  6:59 PM
Posted by Nalod:

draft postions is not relevent. Would you trade frank a first rounder for micheal redd, a second rounder?

I would not trade Frank for Wilcox. Chris has shown nothing and frank is more valuable.

excellent point, that is what a lot of people forget, they get caught up in Draft positions, I mean after a couple of years that is all irrelevant. I mean would you not trade Kwame Brown the number 1 over all pick for Kobe, the 12th pick I think. Good point Nalod.... Frank has more value than people are giving him in here.... I don't know how all of a sudden Wilcox gained all this trade value...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
BigSm00th
USA
5/25/2004  7:23 PM
Why keep Frank around when you can get something for him? Marbury plays 40 minutes per game, and to give up Frank, even though I love him as a player, to get an athletic F who is 6'10", I'd do it.

TSM, I wrote that becuase you wrote exactly what I wrote, but the way you wrote it you were criticizing me. I was just confused since we wrote the same thing.

I just don't see why the Clippers don't do that deal. Marco Jaric was horrible as their starting PG last season. Now if they draft a PG I'm 100% with you, no way they do that. But if they draft a swingman (which is a possibility since Richardson might go to Denver and they might draft a guy for insurance, like they did last year when they took Chris Kaman expecting Kandi to sign elsewhere) or do a Clippers-esque manuever and make a horrible pick, I think they'd want to deal Wilcox for Frank. At the trade deadline there were Williams for Ely rumors, and after Frank's performance in the playoffs I think it could merit at least discussion and not be written off as a fantasy. I think that's a bit absurd considering Williams would be their starting PG and Wilcox will backup Elton Brand for the next 8 years playing 25 minutes a night. Look at the deal logistically.
#Knickstaps
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
5/26/2004  12:15 AM
I think Clippers could get someone better than Williams for Wilcox. Wilcox has the potential to be a Kenyon Martin esc player with his ability to guard PFs,SFs,SGs,PGs. Plus Wilcox is also ripped and is very explosive. He is about 22. Wilcox has 17pts-9rebs-1.5blks -1.4stls type of potential in his prime. I don't see Williams putting up allstar type #s in his prime. I can see Williams best seasons being 9-10pts 6-7assist 1.6stls range.

If Williams could get a consistant jumpshot his value would sky rocket.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
raven
Member: #316
Canada
5/26/2004  3:45 AM
what the clipps need to improve is stability, not another young player who'll need time to mature.

can frank bring them a bit of that ?
RonRon
Member: #246
5/26/2004  4:54 AM
i agree that wilcox would help the knicks running and transition game. Hes a slightly undersized PF but will compliment marbary nicely on the fast break. He wont be like marion but can surely but in some dunks. However, where would this leave sweetney who also plays the 4. We all know we need a post presence ,interior defense, and shotblocking ability. I dont think wilcox skills include that. This would force us to atleast have a center with those skills. A player like chris anderson/gadzuric can fit that although they are probably closer to the PF than Center. I think this deal a deal like this is quite realistic but it would limit sweetneys growth.
TMS
USA
5/26/2004  9:19 AM
as Knicks fans, you are naturally going to value Frank higher than what his stats may indicate, but i'm just telling you that teams mostly only have stats to go on when they consider trades alot of times...i highly doubt they had scouts at the Knicks games checking out Frank Williams, so they won't know what he showed when he was starting those games before Stephon got here...

i'm sure if you were a Clippers fan, you would think you all were crazy for thinking that LA would even think about trading a young, freakishly athletic bigman who averaged a tad under 9 points & 5 rebounds in 20 MPG at over 50% for a backup PG who was a couple of years older who put up about 5 points & 1 assist over 13 MPG w/an assist to turnover ratio of just about 1 to 1! just what about those numbers indicates to you that Frank Williams would be the answer to their future needs?

look, i'm not trying to get too caught up in numbers...i like Frank alot & i do think he has potential to be a very solid PG someday...but the fact of the matter is that other teams don't look at things the same way that we as fans of this team do in regards to valueing our own players...

don't you guys think they value Chris Wilcox highly? i mean they took the guy w/the #6 overall pick only 2 years ago...why do you think they are ready to give up on him now to get a backup PG who hasn't really done much of anything in this league except to show some spurts where he can play mixed in w/equal parts of him looking totally lost on the court? to me, if i'm a Clippers fan, there's no way i would even think about making this trade...that's how i try & look at trade ideas anyway...it helps me from overvalueing the Knicks players sometimes...but my opinion is just as good as anyone else's, so who's to really say who's right & who's wrong in this instance...i just don't think it's very realistic to think the Knicks could get Wilcox for that package alone.
tkf
5/26/2004  10:23 AM
some of you guys are so caught up on age. I ask is it really much of differenct that Frank is 23 or24 and wilcox is 22 or 23? I mean does it matter that Lebron is 20 and T-Mac is 25? Would you not trade one for the other because of that. Does it mean that since lebron is 5 years younger that he will be better than T-Mac is now at the same age? Skill is skill fellas...... Frank Williams is a PG who can and when he does start will average double digit points, he will average over 7 assists and he will be one of the better defensive PG's in the league, he has already advertised VS kidd that he will be a force to be reconed with on defense. He is 6'3 has very long arms and moves his feet well laterally.... The clipps and whoever can think all they want about wilcox being a freak athletically, the league has quite a few guys like him, that is nothing special. But when you are talking PG's the league does not have many good one's I mean the clippers are having a hard time finding a good PG. Jaric, Miller, dooling did not work out, and Frank is not a newbie anymore, he has proven he can run a team.... I like wilcox a lot but please, the guy has not proved anything yet. Honestly I rather have Tyson chandler..
TMS
USA
5/26/2004  10:25 AM
Frank has a 1 to 1 assist to turnover ratio dude...just what has he proven in this league that would make a team willing to trade us their lottery pick of a couple years ago?
tkf
5/26/2004  11:58 AM
We are not saying that the clippers would do that trade, as far as I am concerned that is one of the dumbest organazations around, but the trade is not as lopsided as you are making it.. Frank has highs of 18 points twice this year and a high of 9 assists, he did this when he was starting for the knicks. This shows the kid can produce, and most of all he has proven that he can perform in the playoffs. Now if you are just looking at stats then you are putting on blinders, because you are refusing to look at the whole picture....

TMS
USA
5/26/2004  12:05 PM
bro, i'm not putting on blinders...i'm just telling you that when considering that trade, the Clippers' GM will look at those stats & think that he's not getting equal value...i already said i liked Frank & i think he has the potential to be a solid PG in this league, but if you're trying to justify his value to other teams by pointing out a couple games where he scored 18 points & had 5 or 6 assists in a starting role & try to convince another team to trade us their lottery pick of a couple years ago for him, i don't think you'd have much luck in convincing them that it's a fair trade from their point of view...you don't think Chris Wilcox had at least a few games last year where he showed glimpses of why he was taken w/the #6 overall pick?

check out his game logs from last season...i would say it would take more than Frank to get them to make that trade, that's all i'm saying...i'm not making it out to be any more than that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?statsId=3606
tkf
5/26/2004  1:52 PM
Posted by TMS:

bro, i'm not putting on blinders...i'm just telling you that when considering that trade, the Clippers' GM will look at those stats & think that he's not getting equal value...i already said i liked Frank & i think he has the potential to be a solid PG in this league, but if you're trying to justify his value to other teams by pointing out a couple games where he scored 18 points & had 5 or 6 assists in a starting role & try to convince another team to trade us their lottery pick of a couple years ago for him, i don't think you'd have much luck in convincing them that it's a fair trade from their point of view...you don't think Chris Wilcox had at least a few games last year where he showed glimpses of why he was taken w/the #6 overall pick?

check out his game logs from last season...i would say it would take more than Frank to get them to make that trade, that's all i'm saying...i'm not making it out to be any more than that.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?statsId=3606

You know what, you might be right. And the clippers probably think just like you do, and that is why they are in the mess they are in now, and that is why they traded for Miller( a big stats guy in cleveland) and basically got a bust.... And really I don't care about wilcox, as I said, I much rather have chandler...
TMS
USA
5/26/2004  2:00 PM
whatever dude...some people can't handle it when they're told their idea isn't realistic i guess...didn't realize you were only allowed to agree w/someone w/o getting insults & sarcasm thrown back at you.

[Edited by - TMS on 05/26/2004 14:54:00]
LAC's Draft Pick

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy