[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Frank Williams' Fate
Author Thread
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/24/2004  2:18 PM
I agree with envyspree, in that we just have no way in knowing what the people inside all of these teams are even thinking. 99% of the stuff we know is MEDIA SPECULATION! ES is also right that 99% of these trades just happen out of the blue. Most of the rumors we hear, maybe true that there is interest shown by the teams, but nobody can negotiate the right deal.

Bonn, this is a case where the stats don't really tell the story. What tells the story is that Frank Williams is a promising young PG who can be a good starter for some teams, and an excellent backup for other teams. His trade value is a lot higher than you would think. He does have a poor assist/turnover ratio, like bippity10 always says, but, that is something that can be fixed. We can get some good players for this guy, if we shop him properly. And if the right trade doesn't fall, then we can always use him ourselves!
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/24/2004  2:43 PM
I agree stats don't tell the whole story as far as his potential is concerned, but I doubt teams realize that. He hasn't done anything to grab people's attention.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/24/2004  3:35 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Cleveland was interested in trading Darius Miles for him.

Orlando was interested in trading Drew Gooden for him.

I think this is a case of you undervalueing him. What can you expect Williams to do when he played behind a top PG in the NBA and rarely had time to show himself.

When Williams started games and when he got excess playing time he was an above-average point guard, something many teams, Clevaland and Orlando specifically, need. I think you have to look past his averages. If Rip Hamilton played on a fantasy team with Bryant at 2 and McGrady at 3, he wouldn't put up good #s. That wouldn't mean he isn't a good player. It's the same case here. Look at the times when Williams was given a chance to play. When he played over 20 minutes he averaged 11 points and 6 assists. He had stretches during the Knicks/Nets series where he shut down Kidd, and he's young and cheap.

And teams have been interested in him.

That wasn't even the question, the question was do you think, becuase the Knicks are working out PGs, that he will be traded. Would the Knicks be hurt that much if they took Tim Pickett in Round 2 and then traded FW and Mutumbo to the Magic for Gooden and Garrity. The Magic will be adding a PF in all likelihood with their draft pick, and they have Juwan Howard there. Gooden is expendable and Garrity just signed an extension. They'd get cap room for next year and would be able to add a PG they feel can start (they offered Gooden for FW back around the allstar break). Knicks get one of the best shooting PFs in the NBA in Garrity, who can run the pick and roll with Marbury 5 times a game and score 6-10 easy points. Gooden will be a project but I see him becoming a Corliss Williamson type tweener, not as strong, but a guy who can play either forward spot and can cause matchup problems. Might give NY a bulk at PF but still, these are moves I'd like to make where they get more versatile and younger while not really losing anything.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 05/24/2004 01:05:20]

Good point smooth, and one thing people fail to realize is that outside of the Big man the PG position is another position that is at a premium... Frank williams showed he can run a team, and guard elite PG's, he gave kidd fits and even picked his pocket in the open floor, something that rarely happens to kidd.. Frankie has size and really is a very good defender with the ability to be a great defender. Don't underestimate this kid, this is a case where his stats don't tell half the story...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/24/2004  3:40 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

dude, calm down enyspree. I guarantee you I'm not a closet spurs/bulls fan or any team besides the Knicks. I love the Knicks and love to wear my Marbury, Ewing, Starks, Houston, and Sprewell jerseys. I don't think Frank has done anything special enough to have significant trade value; maybe I'm wrong, though. We'll see.

sorry i had to spank you man but those other comments were nuts. i hope you see my point.
I don't think Frank has done anything special enough to have significant trade value

i can respect that. that other stuff you were saying was over the top flip top.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Bonn1997
USA
5/24/2004  4:19 PM
sorry i had to spank you

What are you talking about?

that other stuff you were saying was over the top

What did I say that was over the top?

Other than that, I think you made some great points
Allanfan20
USA
5/24/2004  4:57 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I agree stats don't tell the whole story as far as his potential is concerned, but I doubt teams realize that. He hasn't done anything to grab people's attention.

Bonn, these NBA team hire the top scouts in the world to study every player on every team, so that they can know how to compete with them, and so they can see if they are worth going after in the trade or free agency market. Just b/c these other teams aren't composed of Knick fans like you and I, don't mean they don't know a lot about Frank Williams, Mike Sweetney and DerMarr Johnson. As a matter of fact, they know so much MORE than us, it would make your head spin. I actually think there was just one GM in the entire NBA, who was clueless on some of these young players, and his name is Scott Layden. He isn't even a GM now, so, that takes care of that.

I am 99.9% sure that 29 other NBA teams (Including the Bobcats) truely understand what Frank Williams brings to the table, and how far his potential can take him.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Bonn1997
USA
5/24/2004  6:25 PM
they may even understand what he brings, but if Isiah demands anything good for him, he has no response when the other team's GM says, "We're not giving that up for a 4 and 2 player." I guess Isiah could take Kam77's approach and make up #s and say that the team went 5-0 while Frank was a starter
Allanfan20
USA
5/24/2004  9:07 PM
Again, in this case, I think most the stats don't tell how Frank Williams's fate will be. Just remember, there were plenty of players in Franks position, who got traded away, for good value.
Bonn1997
USA
5/24/2004  9:30 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

Again, in this case, I think most the stats don't tell how Frank Williams's fate will be. Just remember, there were plenty of players in Franks position, who got traded away, for good value.
who?
Frank Williams' Fate

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy