[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Frank Williams' Fate
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
5/23/2004  11:37 PM
In the article regarding Andre Barrett it said the Knicks worked out a few other point guards as well. I like Chalmers from Xavier and Pickett from FSU the best. Regardless, does the fact that Isiah is looking at PGs in the 2nd round mean he'll trade Williams.

I think it's a good indication he will. Williams is one of the few guys on the Knicks that can bring talented players to help the Knicks elsewhere, and a useful backup PG isn't really needed when Marbury plays 40 minutes a night and Penny can play PG and Norris is on the roster.

Does the fact that Isiah worked out a bunch of PGs along with a few project PF/Cs lead you to believe FW will be traded? I think all signs point to Yes.
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/23/2004  11:42 PM
Frank has about as much trade value as the average backup PG getting 4 PPG, 2 APG. (Maybe slightly more, but not much). Frank might not be in Isiah's long-term plans. The only two players who definitely are are Mike and Steph
BigSm00th
USA
5/24/2004  12:20 AM
I think Frank holds a great amount of value. The games he got time in he produced. In the games he played more than 20 minutes he averaged 11 and 6, and in the playoffs he showed things that would increase his value more than a "a guy averaging 4 and 2."

Plus he's cheap and is still very young. VS. everyone else on the Knicks he's more tradeable and leaguewide I'd say for teams needing a PG he could have some value.
#Knickstaps
Bonn1997
USA
5/24/2004  12:35 AM
What teams have expressed any interest in Frank???

4 PPG, 2 APG and a lot of turnovers won't get you much in return. This is just an example of Knick fans over-valueing their players. I like Frank, but he does not have much trade value.
BigSm00th
USA
5/24/2004  12:57 AM
Cleveland was interested in trading Darius Miles for him.

Orlando was interested in trading Drew Gooden for him.

I think this is a case of you undervalueing him. What can you expect Williams to do when he played behind a top PG in the NBA and rarely had time to show himself.

When Williams started games and when he got excess playing time he was an above-average point guard, something many teams, Clevaland and Orlando specifically, need. I think you have to look past his averages. If Rip Hamilton played on a fantasy team with Bryant at 2 and McGrady at 3, he wouldn't put up good #s. That wouldn't mean he isn't a good player. It's the same case here. Look at the times when Williams was given a chance to play. When he played over 20 minutes he averaged 11 points and 6 assists. He had stretches during the Knicks/Nets series where he shut down Kidd, and he's young and cheap.

And teams have been interested in him.

That wasn't even the question, the question was do you think, becuase the Knicks are working out PGs, that he will be traded. Would the Knicks be hurt that much if they took Tim Pickett in Round 2 and then traded FW and Mutumbo to the Magic for Gooden and Garrity. The Magic will be adding a PF in all likelihood with their draft pick, and they have Juwan Howard there. Gooden is expendable and Garrity just signed an extension. They'd get cap room for next year and would be able to add a PG they feel can start (they offered Gooden for FW back around the allstar break). Knicks get one of the best shooting PFs in the NBA in Garrity, who can run the pick and roll with Marbury 5 times a game and score 6-10 easy points. Gooden will be a project but I see him becoming a Corliss Williamson type tweener, not as strong, but a guy who can play either forward spot and can cause matchup problems. Might give NY a bulk at PF but still, these are moves I'd like to make where they get more versatile and younger while not really losing anything.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 05/24/2004 01:05:20]
#Knickstaps
Ray15
Member: #668
5/24/2004  2:14 AM
I think Frank Williams will be shopped but Isiah won't give him up in a bad deal. He, along with KT, is our toughest player and Isiah knows it. He also knows that we are loaded at pg and should use Frank to improve the team elsewhere.

Two trades that will improve the team and I think are fairly realistic:

1. Al Harrington and Pollard for Frank Williams, KT, cap relief.

2. Chris Wilcox for Frank Williams and cap filler.

I think Wilcox is in a similiar position as Frank Williams. He had some eyecatching moments and is on the brink of breaking out. The Clipps need a pg and we need help in the frontcourt. It seems like a perfect match. Wilcox would give us toughness and athleticism up front. He can develop into a very solid defender and would be a nice running mate with Marbury. He is not the post presence we need but I would love to groom a frontcourt of Wilcox and Sweetney. I really think Wilcox, on the knicks or not, is going to break out this year and put up impressive numbers.

This also allows us to still trade KT. Another article came up about Paxon looking for a tough, veteran, rebounding, good defender. KT fits that bill and we could probably do a deal for a resigned JCraw straight up for KT. Or maybe a deal using KT and cap relief for Ty Chandler, JYD, and the 2nd pick in the 2nd round.

Defense and Toughness
Bonn1997
USA
5/24/2004  7:53 AM

I haven't heard anything about that!

I notice you're using "was" a lot. Is any team "currently" interested in him???
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/24/2004  8:11 AM
Posted by Ray15:

2. Chris Wilcox for Frank Williams and cap filler.

This is what I hope will happen, but I just dont know. The ClipJoint have him higher on their depth chart than Melvin Ely, but who knows. They also have 2 point guards in Dooling and Jaric, but I don't think they are that high on either.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
spreeeewell
Member: #436
5/24/2004  9:26 AM
I dont think Frank has alot of trade value.one thing he does have is heart he earn my respect by putting Kidd on his ass. I thought we should had traded him for Darius Miles.If we cannot get a similar trade then we should keep him as a backup.
I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees!
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/24/2004  9:28 AM
Lopez, a rookie last season, is expected to return.
But Arroyo, a restricted free agent, is expected to draw interest from other teams this summer, Miami and Orlando among them. And rookie Williams, really more of a combo guard capable of playing both the point and the 2 spot, is a restricted free agent, too.
Kevin O'Connor, the Jazz's senior vice president of basketball operations, said he is "not fearful" Utah will lose will one of the aforementioned three.
But that does not mean all three definitely will be back.
"With three first-round draft picks," O'Connor said, "we're going in and making sure we have all our bases covered. And if we think one of the three (Nelson, Telfair or Duhon) is an upgrade on what we have, sure, we'd take him."

that was courtesy of the deseret morning news. how about frank williams for one of utah's first round picks?
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/24/2004  9:41 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

What teams have expressed any interest in Frank???

4 PPG, 2 APG and a lot of turnovers won't get you much in return. This is just an example of Knick fans over-valueing their players. I like Frank, but he does not have much trade value.

how do you know?

this is just an example of a closet Spurs/laker/bulls fan trying to act like he know something by posting up misleading stats.

Frank is 24 and just came off a decent series against New Jersey. I feel his stats are very misleading that's why there are such jobs like scouts to actually evaluate players by watching them on the court.

Watch games like the rest of us and stop stat crunching on the net when the boss isn't looking.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/24/2004  9:52 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Man you just pissed me off. So the only way you know teams are interested is if you see it on Sports Center, the newspapers, somewhere on the net, etc?

So tell me who reported the Bucks being interested in Keith Van Horn? Who knew Pheonix was going to trade Stephon Marbury?
Who knew Houston would take Weatherspoon for Moochie?

There is no way of knowing for sure who is interested in who especially right now. I could see you just saying that you don't think teams are out looking to get Frank Williams.....you have to take it down a road of ignorance.

Geez louise
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
5/24/2004  10:11 AM
Getting Wilcox, Harrington, or Gooden for Frank (even if you have to throw in Kurt) would be ideal.

I think Frank has plenty of value around the league. Look at how much we covet Wilcox. The Clips are probably saying to themselves, 'we don't need this guy, but his stats aren't good enough to get anyone in a trade...' I think we have to assume that scouts in the league are smart enough to know that stats are a result of playing time. Actually, anyone who doesn't know that probably doesn't watch too many games.

¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
USA
5/24/2004  10:22 AM
dude, calm down enyspree. I guarantee you I'm not a closet spurs/bulls fan or any team besides the Knicks. I love the Knicks and love to wear my Marbury, Ewing, Starks, Houston, and Sprewell jerseys. I don't think Frank has done anything special enough to have significant trade value; maybe I'm wrong, though. We'll see.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/24/2004  11:19 AM
Posted by EnySpree:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Man you just pissed me off. So the only way you know teams are interested is if you see it on Sports Center, the newspapers, somewhere on the net, etc?

So tell me who reported the Bucks being interested in Keith Van Horn? Who knew Pheonix was going to trade Stephon Marbury?
Who knew Houston would take Weatherspoon for Moochie?

There is no way of knowing for sure who is interested in who especially right now. I could see you just saying that you don't think teams are out looking to get Frank Williams.....you have to take it down a road of ignorance.

Geez louise

Biggest rumor monger around is " the little birdie".

I love it when "I think Isiah gonna" is said. Maybe Isiah talks with " the Little Birdie", or miss cleo!
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
5/24/2004  12:07 PM
At this point, I agree with Bonn in that FW doesn't have much trade value. But that is a good thing. FW brings intangibles that you can't teach. And he's homegrown.
Bonn1997
USA
5/24/2004  12:19 PM
Posted by NYKDUNK:

At this point, I agree with Bonn in that FW doesn't have much trade value. But that is a good thing. FW brings intangibles that you can't teach. And he's homegrown.

Dude, don't you realize how angry that's going to make EnySpree? You saw what happened after I said I didn't think Frank had high trade value.
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
5/24/2004  12:31 PM
Chew on this stat.

5-0 record with Frank Wiliams at starting PG.

Value.
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
5/24/2004  12:56 PM
Posted by kam77:

Chew on this stat.

Value.

trade Marbury?
Bonn1997
USA
5/24/2004  1:29 PM
Posted by kam77:

Chew on this stat.

Value.

Good luck selling that message to teams. By the way, he's started only THREE games in his NBA career; so your 5-0 stat is obviously wrong.
Frank Williams' Fate

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy