[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Drew Gooden
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/24/2004  10:34 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Sweets has a 7 foot wing span. That's much more important than height. You undoubtedly can get away with a PF with a 7 foot wing span regardless of who your center is. Indeed, most PFs dream of having that kind of wing span. As for Nazy, I'd be surprised if he's the starting center next season anyway. There are too many free agent centers available. Even if none of them would like to take a paycut to come to NY, I'm sure at least one will slip through for the MLE. Rasheed, Blount, Swift (F/C), Dampier, Okur, Magloire, and Camby aren't going to all get more than the MLE.

as of right now Dampier Camby and Maglire[signed long term extension} are all signed to deals significantly higher than the the MLE. Swift is restricted and his salary next year is an MLE size[i.e they arent giving him away for nothing] rasheed and okur are likely to get deals in the 7-8mm starting range. Blount is a guy who wont command more than the MLE, but from everything I have read, it sounds like he will go back to Boston
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
5/24/2004  10:54 AM
First of all, Houston will not be a Knick for long. Second of all, I would much rather have Sweetney in the starting lineup insted of Muhamed. For a rookie, Sweeney appeared to be more polished in the low-post than Muhamed. If we were to bring in a true Center, it is imperative to use Sweetney as our PF, not Muhamed. Isia will do the right thing.
The true Knickabocker..........
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/24/2004  11:28 AM
Come on, Briggs, you know Dampier has made it 100% clear that he will opt out of his contract.
BRIGGS
5/24/2004  12:01 PM
as far as i can see dampier is making 17+mm over 2 years. for him to get a simple extension off that price would likely be the most lucrative way to go. im sorry i never read anywhere where dampier said im done here 100% im gone opting out. anything a player says during contract time=hyperbole 99% of the time its all about the money.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
5/24/2004  12:23 PM
well he did say that he'd rather have a smaller contract with more years guaranteed than a large short contract and that he wants to come to a team in the east with a star PG and SG, which leaves the Knicks and Pistons. And the Pistons are too busy with Rasheed and Okur to go after Dampier. Either he's lying or a long-term deal (maybe 6 years starting at the MLE) on NY would be his first choice.

Here's a good article where Dampier talks about his plans

http://www.adonalfoyle.com/the_game3.shtml

Here's one quote. You should read the whole article, though; it's a good article.

"I definitely want to play with a point guard, with a good shooting guard," Dampier said. "I wouldn't mind going to the East. I have a chance to be an All-Star there. I wouldn't say money is a factor. I've been in the league for 7-8 years. So, I'm pretty much taken care of financially. So, I don't think money is a big issue.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/24/2004 12:24:31]

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/24/2004 12:30:21]
BRIGGS
5/24/2004  1:56 PM
ive read that and it means nothing. these guys all say the same thing. if GS gives him a 3 year extension and a guarantee to play a bigger part with a new coach and GM who happens to be on the same level as isiah, he isnt going to give up 20 million dollars. 99.9 % of the population wouldnt give up 20mm
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
5/24/2004  2:46 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

ive read that and it means nothing. these guys all say the same thing. if GS gives him a 3 year extension and a guarantee to play a bigger part with a new coach and GM who happens to be on the same level as isiah, he isnt going to give up 20 million dollars. 99.9 % of the population wouldnt give up 20mm

I can't imagine GS giving him a 3 year extension. In fact, with the amount of money he's owed and the fact that they could be substantially under the cap, I bet they're praying that he opts out of his contract.
Bonn1997
USA
5/24/2004  2:47 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

ive read that and it means nothing. these guys all say the same thing.

they all say that they want to play with a star PG and SG in the east? I think Damps is the only one who's said that actually. If he leaves GS, it sounds like he has one team in mind.
mintyfreshness33
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #586
USA
5/24/2004  7:13 PM
We already have a player that is as Good as Drew Gooden (Sweetney)

im srry but sweetney is not as good as all of you think he is. this is not to knock the kid, i admit during some of the games he show flashes of what we might expect in the future and he is my fav knick other than marb. But you guys are already comparing him to Brand? elton was putting up huge number in rookie year, and to put sweetney on the same level as elton or even gooden is just unfair and inaccurate. I know he gets limited minutes, but he is really undersized and havent done much offensively. i just dont see y you guys keep saying how good this kid is, and also saying how every team wants frank and how he is better than this guy and that guy when he realli only had a stretch of good game when he started. Maybe is because these are the only 2 rookies the knicks developed in a long time, but damn you guys think frank and sweets are better than what they realli are. and to say we already have a player like gooden is sweets is just ignorant.

[Edited by - mintyfreshness33 on 05/24/2004 19:14:30]
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/24/2004  8:07 PM
Posted by Andrew:

Yeah....the Knicks pretty much have their starting 5 set for next year:

Nazr
Sweetney (I think KT is definatly going to be traded)
TT
Houston
Steph

Any additions will probably be upgrades to the current backups or they have to be considerably better than the starting 5 if you are going to replace one of them.

i agree with this.

Any trade we think of is more fantasy than anything. The Knicks just have to get someone better than Shandon Anderson to be Allans replacement. Stephen Jackson baby!.

Sweetney had better stats than Okafor did in college. As far as game Sweetney plays alot similiar to Elton Brand. Sweetney just doesn't play with fire but Sweetney rarely changes facial expressions anyway when he plays. Sweetney is a free-throw magnet though. He could be our guy next year.

For one thing I thought Sweets was better than Carlos Boozer in college.

One the subject fo Drew Gooden....He showed alot more improvement on his college days. Drew is like a less coked out Kenyon Martin. Gooden is a little too ****y though. Thats why he's been traded and replace already in his short career in the NBA.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
5/25/2004  11:15 AM
as far as gooden being pegged as too skinny, remember he has only been in the league for two years. after a few years of the standard nba weight training regiment, he should bulk up. look at the first two years of rasheed, webber and even shaq. they were skinny until they gained weight lifting and now they are built. i am very concerned with his inconsistent play. it is worrisome when orlando was still shopping for a low post option throughout last year when gooden had a decent amount of minutes. true, he started in the 3 position but howard had a terrible year so he could have attempted to outplay him for the 4 position. i think sweetney is a better fit becuase already he is our best low post back to the basket player. gooden on offense is just like kurt thomas in which he shoots face up jumpers and limited post moves except off of tips or alley-oops ( which is one thing he can do that kt can't). we need someone who can play the paint tough right now. not a tim thomas clone who does not know whther he is a true 3 or 4.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
5/25/2004  11:57 AM
I agree that Sweets is being slightly overrated. I didn't realize his wingspan was actually 7 feet. That's pretty good. Almost as good as Nene's 7'4" wingspan. But height does matter, dammit.

But as for Elton Brand: he is one of the most overrated players in the league. Scoring 20ppg is all about getting touches. Brand gets about 20 touches a night, it's easy for him to score that much. If Sweets got that many touches he would score 20 easy.

I'd love to see Sweets develop. I just don't think he and Nazr can be the foundation of a winning front court. One of them needs to be bigger and block shots and intimidate. As Joe Dumars has said, the Wallaces are only 29 yrs old each, they're going to be around for a while (at least three more years - thank god they didn't get Melo!).
Posted by mintyfreshness33:

im srry but sweetney is not as good as all of you think he is. this is not to knock the kid, i admit during some of the games he show flashes of what we might expect in the future and he is my fav knick other than marb. But you guys are already comparing him to Brand? elton was putting up huge number in rookie year, and to put sweetney on the same level as elton or even gooden is just unfair and inaccurate. I know he gets limited minutes, but he is really undersized and havent done much offensively. i just dont see y you guys keep saying how good this kid is, and also saying how every team wants frank and how he is better than this guy and that guy when he realli only had a stretch of good game when he started. Maybe is because these are the only 2 rookies the knicks developed in a long time, but damn you guys think frank and sweets are better than what they realli are. and to say we already have a player like gooden is sweets is just ignorant.

¿ △ ?
raven
Member: #316
Canada
5/26/2004  4:45 AM
what is not overrated is the amount of rebounds and fouls this guy could draw in very limited minutes, without being really involved in decent plays.

That's a thing we should bank on. take a risk, give him minutes, let aguirre teach him. with time and game experience, with his work ethic, he should please use.

above all, he has a good behavior, and that's alone is most of time a guarantee for progress.
Bonn1997
USA
5/26/2004  7:35 AM
But as for Elton Brand: he is one of the most overrated players in the league. Scoring 20ppg is all about getting touches. Brand gets about 20 touches a night, it's easy for him to score that much.

He averages 20PPG on 14 shots per game. That's remarkable efficiency. He's also a great defensive player.
diderotn
USA
5/26/2004  8:40 AM
Elton spent majority, in fact all of his career playing for croppy team. He has had the luxury to receive ample amount of playing time, off-course he will be 20/10. The kid (Sweetney) proved that he could do the same thing with playing time. He runs the court well, and has a knack for rebounds. If Lenny wasn't too dumb, he should have used the kid instead of Kurt.

I trust on Isia to do what is right with Sweetney.

Posted by crzymdups:

I agree that Sweets is being slightly overrated. I didn't realize his wingspan was actually 7 feet. That's pretty good. Almost as good as Nene's 7'4" wingspan. But height does matter, dammit.

But as for Elton Brand: he is one of the most overrated players in the league. Scoring 20ppg is all about getting touches. Brand gets about 20 touches a night, it's easy for him to score that much. If Sweets got that many touches he would score 20 easy.

I'd love to see Sweets develop. I just don't think he and Nazr can be the foundation of a winning front court. One of them needs to be bigger and block shots and intimidate. As Joe Dumars has said, the Wallaces are only 29 yrs old each, they're going to be around for a while (at least three more years - thank god they didn't get Melo!).
Posted by mintyfreshness33:

Bonn1997
USA
5/26/2004  8:59 AM
If Lenny wasn't too dumb, he should have used the kid instead of Kurt.

No way; at this point in their careers, Kurt's defense, especially low post and help defense, is much, much better than Sweetney's. Mike will improve with time, but Kurt deservedly was the starter.
diderotn
USA
5/26/2004  9:04 AM
Did you watch the last 20 games of the regular season??? Kurt was aweful.

Posted by Bonn1997:
If Lenny wasn't too dumb, he should have used the kid instead of Kurt.

No way; at this point in their careers, Kurt's defense, especially low post and help defense, is much, much better than Sweetney's. Mike will improve with time, but Kurt deservedly was the starter.
Bonn1997
USA
5/26/2004  11:10 AM
His offense was inconsistent. Having a dislocated finger in his shooting hand might have had something to do with that. His defense dropped a little bit too but was still much better than Sweetney's.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/26/2004 11:16:31]
raven
Member: #316
Canada
5/27/2004  4:03 AM
I agree. Sweet needs to spend a lil bit more time on the bench. Not too long, half a season if he keeps improving at that rate.
Bonn1997
USA
5/27/2004  8:10 AM
Posted by raven:

I agree. Sweet needs to spend a lil bit more time on the bench. Not too long, half a season if he keeps improving at that rate.
I'm hoping he'll be ready to be a starter (or at least play more than half the game) by the start of next season. If you look at how rapidly he improved, a 6 month offseason should do wonders for his game.
Drew Gooden

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy