[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

A Trade That Could Happen
Author Thread
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
5/21/2004  4:42 PM
After all the bee-ship trades that we talk about, here's one that could actually happen.

Knicks trade:
Kurt Thomas and Frank Williams

Pacers trade:
Al Harrington and Kenny Anderson

This trade gives the Knicks the post pressence they sorely need. He's a forward who could play PF or SF. He could start next to Tim, but also play next to Sweets. He's not quite the shotblocker they need, but there's still the mid-level for that. He's an offensive force, who will only get better with more shots and a great point like Marbury.

Why would Indiana do it? Frank Williams would be an upgrade over Jamal Tinsley in that he could penetrate, score more and he's a better defender. Kurt Thomas would be the perfect backup to Jermaine O'neal, he could also play some center and start if there were injury. They also need to trade Harrington. Even in this 61 win season, Al has been bitching about minutes and starting. If Indiana makes this trade, they get one starter and a quality backup. I think they would do it, unless the Bird/Isiah rivalry prevents it somehow. Otherwise, I think they would do it.

Why should the Knicks do it? They need a post pressence on offense. Al would provide a Larry Johnson-type pressence for the Knicks in the post. He's a solid shooter and athletic enough to play the three or the four. He's worked with Isiah and Mark A. before and they both like him a lot. He's also got the toughness and defensive game that the Knicks need. The only thing missing is shot blocking, but there's still the mid-level to address that, or even the second round of the draft (someone on the board mentioned David Harrison, I like that idea).

If Indiana doesn't bite, make the same offer to Memphis for Stromile Swift. But I think Indiana would do it. And Al Harrington will be a consistant 20 and 10 in this league with minutes. The thing we have to remember is that the Knicks need to get someone who hasn't 'popped' yet. It makes no sense to get a Dampier, who will likely be fat in a year or two. They need to get someone young, hungry and aggressive. Al Harrington fits the bill. So does Stromile. If we can get one of those two and then Stephen Jackson for the mid-level, we'd be set. Set, I tell you. And we'd still have Deke and Othella's expiring deals for the deadline!

¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
LongIslandKnicksFan
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #496
USA
5/21/2004  5:14 PM
If Williams is an upgrade over Tinsley, then why don't we just keep him? Trade Othella instead. Isiah won't give up on Frank that easily.
NYK4
Member: #549
5/21/2004  5:14 PM
well done son
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
5/21/2004  7:53 PM
He gave up on Frank the minute we traded for Marbury. Anyway... I don't see FW being a significantly better player overall than Tinsley at this point--- tho he has much higher upside as a defender than Tinsley.

Hmmm... if we could get Al Harrington, I don't see any reason why we'd need Tim Thomas anymore.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
5/21/2004  10:19 PM
he also has a better jumper than tinsley. not to mention the fact that he'll put kidd on his ayss in a heartbeat.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/22/2004  12:32 AM
Frank Williams would be an upgrade over Jamal Tinsley in that he could penetrate, score more and he's a better defender.

I don't think the league has as high an opinion of Frank Williams as we Knick fans do. To most of the league, he's just a young 4 PPG, 2 APG point guard with decent potential. If you took a poll of GMs and coaches around the league, I bet close to 100% would take Tinsley over Frank.
EnYKnickFan
Member: #600
USA
5/22/2004  1:23 AM
Tinzzzzz is to underated!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/22/2004  5:52 PM
If Al is the next 20-10 guy, you can trade Marbury to get him. Im serrious, would you trade Marbs for Jermaine O'neal?

Im not saying this is what should happen, but if al is that good, then we will be in big competition for him.

This guy is still young, and worth a trading a lotto pick for. Indy then does not have to worry about paying Big Al, and gets a stud to develope and contribute. thats how the rich get richer.

If they love frank, then its a good trade.
OldFan
Member: #446
5/22/2004  10:13 PM
Why do people thing F.W. has trade value? Have there been reports I've been missing that GMS have been asking about him?
Bonn1997
USA
5/22/2004  10:53 PM
Why do people thing F.W. has trade value? Have there been reports I've been missing that GMS have been asking about him?

That's my point exactly. He's a 4 PPG, 2 APG young player with some upside. That's not the description of a player with good trade value. It's too bad Isiah didn't do the FW and Othella for Miles trade. I'm sure he would now if he was given a second chance.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
5/23/2004  12:00 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

That's my point exactly. He's a 4 PPG, 2 APG young player with some upside. That's not the description of a player with good trade value. It's too bad Isiah didn't do the FW and Othella for Miles trade. I'm sure he would now if he was given a second chance.

I don't know if Isiah would revisit the Miles for FWill trade. What does Miles gain for the team that they don't already have in TT and Penny and DerMarr?

People saw what FWill was doing when he had that petite-magic run when he started for the Knicks back when Chaney was still around. That's akin to having Andrew Miller sitting on the bench behind TBrandon. True PGs are hard to find in the NBA, and Frank is a sure-fire pass first kind of player who is big and long enought to play solid D.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Bonn1997
USA
5/23/2004  12:21 PM
If you watched Miles in Portland, you could see that he's already about as good as Penny (at the age of 22) and WAY ahead of DerMarr. He gives the team a huge improvement in backup SF/SG, whereas Frank Williams is playing backup minutes behind of a superstar. If you're going to play Marbury 40 mpg (or even 37), you can get away with Moochie and Penny playing 8 mpg (or 11) at PG with little difference. The difference between having to use DerMarr versus Miles at backup SF/SG is huge, though. When TT went down versus the Nets, having Miles would have made a huge difference.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/23/2004 12:22:37]
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
5/23/2004  12:48 PM
i think Miles is highly overrated...i've never been impressed w/his game...he's all about athleticism...he can't shoot worth a lick & he loses focus way too often on the court...his defense is just as inconistent as DerMarr's is imo...& DerMarr has a much better perimeter shot & better range...an offseason of a stringent conditioning program will do DerMarr wonders, watch.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
martin
USA
5/23/2004  1:24 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

If you watched Miles in Portland, you could see that he's already about as good as Penny (at the age of 22) and WAY ahead of DerMarr. He gives the team a huge improvement in backup SF/SG, whereas Frank Williams is playing backup minutes behind of a superstar. If you're going to play Marbury 40 mpg (or even 37), you can get away with Moochie and Penny playing 8 mpg (or 11) at PG with little difference. The difference between having to use DerMarr versus Miles at backup SF/SG is huge, though. When TT went down versus the Nets, having Miles would have made a huge difference.

well I guess my main point was why would you trade a valueable chip for a position you already have covered? Why not keep Frank a little longer and see if you can get a power position or move him with other players (Deke, Kurt, Nazr, Harrington) to upgrade positions you really need improving. Nothing against Miles, but he has a long way to becoming a solid player and his contract is up in a year.
Bonn1997
USA
5/23/2004  1:27 PM
well I guess my main point was why would you trade a valueable chip for a position you already have covered?

The Knicks have only one SF (TT); they do not have that position covered. Penny's getting older and isn't really a forward. Miles just finished what should be his rookie season and looked very impressive in Portland.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
5/23/2004  3:48 PM
I agree but I would still like a PF/C but if we're gonna take a chance on a smaller player we might as well draft a SF...cos they are harder to come buy and you might steal one. One who will have a chance of spliting time with TT. No One is going to split time with Allan if he comes back ready. If Allan's not ready then just play Penny at SG for half the time.
martin
USA
5/23/2004  4:38 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
well I guess my main point was why would you trade a valueable chip for a position you already have covered?

The Knicks have only one SF (TT); they do not have that position covered. Penny's getting older and isn't really a forward. Miles just finished what should be his rookie season and looked very impressive in Portland.

huh? that's like saying the Knicks don't have the PG or SG position covered. TT is a max paid, very good SF. Knicks need power players. Bigs.
Bonn1997
USA
5/23/2004  4:55 PM
TT is a max paid,
nope. He makes around 70% of the max

When all you have to give up is a useless PF (Othella) and a PG who's stuck on the bench for a 22 year old who's rapidly improving, you do it regardless of the position he plays. Since Miles plays SF and can play SG, I'd see no problem with TT playing 30 mpg and Miles still getting around 24 off the bench.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
5/24/2004  1:02 AM
I'm confused--- what position other than PG do we have covered? PF, maybe. I used to think we had center covered too, but with Lenny's use of Deke/Baker/Mohammed, I'm not so sure.

Miles was very impressive after being traded to Portland--- his length and athleticism make him tough to cover. I think of him kind of as a smaller version of Camby. While he may have some guard skills (decent ball handling, decent passing), he's essentially just an athletic energy player, good for rebounding and finishing--- with good upside for defense. Like Camby, the outside touch is erratic.

Miles has been highly touted for years... but may not have the basketball IQ to become the all-around player (KG-type/Grant Hill-type) many thought he'd be coming out of high school. In that sense, the Knicks' biggest need (IMHO) is an upgrade in basketball IQ.

While they have similar size (to some extent, anyway), Miles is more of a SF/PF and DerMarr is more of a SG/SF--- his upside is more along the lines of a Kerry Kittles, at least that's my opinion.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again--- FW is very unlikely to develop as a Knick long term, and if you can get some value in return (maybe even a draft pick) that'd be worth it.
Posted by martin:
Posted by Bonn1997:

well I guess my main point was why would you trade a valueable chip for a position you already have covered? Why not keep Frank a little longer and see if you can get a power position or move him with other players (Deke, Kurt, Nazr, Harrington) to upgrade positions you really need improving. Nothing against Miles, but he has a long way to becoming a solid player and his contract is up in a year.
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
5/24/2004  10:23 AM
I meant getting Al Harrington as a power forward. He's 6'9" and has a great post game.

Also, to compare Darius Miles to Penny is silly. Darius Miles and Tim Thomas are the exact same player, except Tim can shoot and dribble better. Also, Tim is bigger. Tim is fine. After point, I would say the Knicks are most set at SF. Tim Thomas shouldn't be the first or second option on a championship team, but he's a fine third or fourth. They need to upgrade either Nazr or Kurt/Sweets to get a shotblocker who can clean up mistakes on defense. It'd be nice to have a player who could post up on offense. It'd be nice to have a backup swingman to cover for Allan.
¿ △ ?
A Trade That Could Happen

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy