[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Tim Thomas: yay or nay?

Author Poll
Panos
Member: #520
Do you believe Tim Thomas has demonstrated the character of a Knick in his short tenure in NY? Following his ridiculous statements to the press regarding intent on the part of New Jersey to take him out of the series as if he were some kind of all-Star (which he ain't!), and proceeding to keep a spotlight on himself throwing barbs at KMartin whose character I don't like but is more the real deal then Thomas himself, I have my doubts. I don't know if I want to see him around in a Knicks uniform. What do you think?
Not a worthy Knick, let's ship him.
Just a bad slip. Give him a chance.
What he did showed guts. Keep him.
View Results

Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
5/21/2004  9:00 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. This kid IMO is a star, but can definitely improve to reach super-stardom. He will need to strenghten his mental game a little, that is why I think that Isia should incorporate him into his circle of young guys that will need his leadership exposure. The guy has all the tools in the world, he will just have to put it all together.
The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
5/21/2004  11:29 PM
Posted by Bippity10:
Posted by diderotn:

TT is the real deal. If any of you can't see it, you are blind. The kid performs underpressure, and always want to take the big shot. If he only improves his defensive skills, he could surpass TMack and the rest of the scrubs.

The key is could be up there with TMac. I think everyone realizes that he has the talent to be a superstar. I agree, I think his talent is limitless. But potential doesn't get you on the all-star team and potential doesn't win championships.<Snip>

You hit the nail right on the head. Lots of players have seemingly "limitless" talent but never realize their potential--- sometimes it's their mental makeup, other times it's injuries, but they never quite put it all together.

I think we all want to believe that Tim Thomas has the tools to be a KG or Odom-type of player. He's been in the league a long time and he's had opportunities to play extended minutes and be a star player. Thus far, he's been more like a poor man's Derek McKey or Robert Horry, except without the yeoman defense!

Actually, in all seriousness, does anyone have another 6"10-ish forward in mind that we can compare him to? A poor man's Rashard Lewis?

Maybe he needs to get on "The Swan"... they'd fix his nose, his puff-daddy mouth, and teach him that it's time to back up all of his talk or shut up!
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
spreeeewell
Member: #436
5/22/2004  8:39 AM
If Tim is so good.then how come he never makes the all-star team or the olympic team or the 1st or 2nd or 3rd N.B.A. team each and every year? for the body this cat has he should be putting big numbers...bottom line is he's soft. you guys talk about him like this was his 1st year in the NBA.
I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees!
OldFan
Member: #446
5/22/2004  1:41 PM
I HOPE that TT turns into a great player. Right now his defense is terrible, his rebounding is terrible, his offense is sporatic and he most of the folks he's played with or against think hes a jerk. A few good playoff games don't make you a star. Maybe next year. (though if I'm honest with myself I doubt it.)
simrud
Member: #474
USA
5/22/2004  1:47 PM
Ditto on OldFan's post. Exactly how I feel. Just have to hope and root for him to finaly live up to his potential.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
diderotn
USA
5/24/2004  8:25 AM
Sometimes, all it takes is a good coach to point a player towards the right direction. Let's not forget who this kid has been playing for throughout his career. He played for George Karls, and Karls was never knowned for defense. It takes time, and a good team folks. Just use Odom as the example.
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
5/24/2004  12:34 PM
For all those of you who like to compare this guy's potential with KG, let's just take a deep breath ok?
The guy is no rookie. He's *27* years old. When is he going to reach his supposed potential? This is the peak of his athletic ability.
Career: PPG 12, FG% .44, RPG 4.1(!), APG 1.4, Blocks .41,
Last year: PPG 14.7, FG% .44, RPG 4.8, APG 1.9, Blocks .3

Let's compare that to KG. Who by the way, is all of 28 yrs old.
Career: PPG 20, FG% .49, RPG 10.8, APG 4.4, Blocks 1.8
Last year: PPG 24, FG% .50, RPG 13.9, APG 5.0, Blocks 2.2

So stop smoking whatever your smoking. There is no comparison, and never will be. And if you feel the need to bring in the fewer minutes that TT has played, ask yourself why his coaches haven't
been driven to play him more if he has KG type potential.

In fact, KG's numbers in his 2nd year in the league are much better than TT's numbers in any season that he's played:
KG 1996: PPG 17, FG% .50, RPG 8, APG 3.1, Blocks 2.1

[Edited by - panos on 05/24/2004 12:56:09]

[Edited by - panos on 05/24/2004 13:02:55]
Panos
5/24/2004  12:42 PM
Even if you want to compare to Odom, still a step behind:
Career: PPG 16.2, FG% .44, RPG 8, APG 4.5, Blocks 1.02
Last Year: PPG 17, FG% .43, RPG 9.7, APG 4.1, Blocks 1.06

And he is 2 years YOUNGER than TT.
diderotn
USA
5/24/2004  1:02 PM
Whatever you say my friend. I know one thing, this kid is capable, all he needs is a kick in the rear end, and Isia and the N.Y media will provide just that.
Panos
5/24/2004  1:06 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Whatever you say my friend. I know one thing, this kid is capable, all he needs is a kick in the rear end, and Isia and the N.Y media will provide just that.

I never said he's not capable. But let's not be delusional, he's no all-star. There is no reason to believe he ever will be. His numbers are just good. Not great, and they show no significant uptrend after 6 years in the league.
But if you listen to him talk, you'd think he was Karl Malone.
kam77
Alba Posts: 25
Member: #634
5/24/2004  1:07 PM
"Seriously, if he shows some toughness and averages 8 boards a game while scoring 18 per, I would be happy with him. Just give me KVH numbers when he was a Knick, that's good enough."

That's odd, KVH avgd more like 17 and 7 as a knick, now we want TT to out rebound KVH? Since when is a SF supposed to gather 7-8 rebs a game?

Stop comparing TT to KVH rebounding-wise. TT will never be the rebounder KVH is, but TT has a lot of other aspects to his game that KVH didn't have.
lol @ being BANNED by Martin since 11/07/10 (for asking if Mr. Earl had a point). Really, Martin? C'mon. This is the internet. I've seen much worse on this site. By Earl himself. Drop the hypocrisy.
diderotn
USA
5/24/2004  1:15 PM
As talented as TT is, Isia needs to make it priority numero uno to help develop this kid. He may have a big mouth and all, but he is also a big game player. One of the things that makes him a much better player than MCgrady is his ability to take over a game in the fourth. I don't know if you have all seen this, but this kid may be scoreless in the first half, but when it comes to the second half, he always appears to be a threat. I don't know, but I see nothing but great things from TT next season. He may just become the all-star that we all know that he can be.
Panos
5/24/2004  1:20 PM
Posted by kam77:

"Seriously, if he shows some toughness and averages 8 boards a game while scoring 18 per, I would be happy with him. Just give me KVH numbers when he was a Knick, that's good enough."

That's odd, KVH avgd more like 17 and 7 as a knick, now we want TT to out rebound KVH? Since when is a SF supposed to gather 7-8 rebs a game?

Stop comparing TT to KVH rebounding-wise. TT will never be the rebounder KVH is, but TT has a lot of other aspects to his game that KVH didn't have.

Such as?
KVH did at least as well as TT in categories in which PFs (to borrow your argument) should not be doing as well as SFs. Assists and steals are a wash. KVH has a higher 3PT %. So, what does TT do better?
I know I'm sticking to the numbers, but the guy is neither a great defender, nor is he bringing in intangibles either.
So, what aspects?

diderotn
USA
5/24/2004  1:55 PM
Some of you would have found out how good or the worth of TT if the Nets didn't intentionally hurt him. This guy is a big game player a la NVE type. KVH always disappears when it matters the most. That enough is a good reason to have TT over KVH. KVH is the same type of player as Stojakovic is. Scorrers, but when it matters always find ways to disappear.
Panos
5/24/2004  1:57 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Some of you would have found out how good or the worth of TT if the Nets didn't intentionally hurt him. This guy is a big game player a la NVE type. KVH always disappears when it matters the most. That enough is a good reason to have TT over KVH. KVH is the same type of player as Stojakovic is. Scorrers, but when it matters always find ways to disappear.

Come on, man. Show me the money. WHAT big games has TT even been in?!
diderotn
USA
5/24/2004  2:08 PM
Dude did you watch the playoffs last year? if you did, do you remember the series between the Nets and the Bucks? Who was the dominant player?
Panos
5/24/2004  2:14 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Dude did you watch the playoffs last year? if you did, do you remember the series between the Nets and the Bucks? Who was the dominant player?

Tim Thomas has averaged 12.9 points in the playoffs in his career. That's 0.9 pts better than his career regular season average. True, that's a step up.

And for the record, the Bucks lost that series, so "dominant" he was not.

[Edited by - panos on 05/24/2004 14:15:20]
diderotn
USA
5/24/2004  2:21 PM
He was the only unstopable player in those 7 games. Granted that the Bucks lost, but TT made it extremely tough on the Nets. Where was Cassell, Allan, and others????? Dude, I am telling you, TT is a big time playah.
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
5/24/2004  2:26 PM
It would be nice to keep TT, but if he can help fetch a young big man like a Tyson Chandler, then he needs to be traded. Otherwise, keep him. If he can stay healthy and play at least 75% of those games with some passion, he can be a terrific player. Currently one needs to flip a coin to determine whether he'll show up for a game. That won't cut it.

[Edited by - nykdunk on 05/24/2004 14:27:33]
Panos
5/24/2004  2:29 PM
Posted by diderotn:

He was the only unstopable player in those 7 games. Granted that the Bucks lost, but TT made it extremely tough on the Nets. Where was Cassell, Allan, and others????? Dude, I am telling you, TT is a big time playah.

For one thing, Allan was in Seattle.
Tim Thomas: yay or nay?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy