[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Things to look for in a big man....
Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
5/20/2004  9:19 AM
Wing span, must be able to palm the ball, at least 7', agile, runs the court.

Chandler fits that profile beautifully. If we are able to move up in the draft, we should look exactly for those qualities.

Garnett
Ewing
Olajawon
McHale

and all the other decent bigs have those qualities.
The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
turtle33
Member: #537
Canada
5/20/2004  9:37 AM
someone who is atleast 7'. i'm so sick of 6'9" centres. my 2 main concerns are shotblocking and rebounding. paint points would be nice but we can get our scoring from many other areas. we desperatly lack that "last line of defence", a guy who can erase mistakes. being able to pull down so offensive boards also. and ofcourse young and athletic.

i like dan gadzuric, i think he could start ahead of nazr.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/20/2004  9:42 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Chandler fits that profile beautifully. If we are able to move up in the draft, we should look exactly for those qualities.

Garnett
Ewing
Olajawon
McHale

I think the Big Fella is a basketball god but he has problems palming the ball. I agree. We need tall Center with a 747 wingspan.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/20/2004  9:58 AM
Chandler fits that profile beautifully.

You forgot about durability. (What good is it if a player has the qualities you listed but misses half the season?) I guess that takes Ty Chandler off the list.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
5/20/2004  10:10 AM
i wouldn't mind moving kurt for chandler and change. it could become an oakley for camby type move on a lesser scale. i don't think chandler has done anything to even warrant chicago getting anything of substantial value back but i'm more down on kurt than amped on chandler.
diderotn
USA
5/20/2004  10:22 AM
What I see in Chandler is his athleticism, which is lacking in many big men in the game today. However, I would consider a draft pick and draft a big man with no bad habbit like Chandler, Curry, or Kwame. Frankly, that kid Josh Howard look to be very skillfull, but I am sure that there are plenty more of no name players in that draft whom are much better. We need a draft pick.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/20/2004  10:55 AM
Posted by diderotn:

Garnett
Ewing
Olajawon
McHale

What the hell are you talking about?

If you are 7ft and can't palm a basketball you are not in the right sport. As a matter of fact you need to be shot and killed.

Chandler is not in the league of any of the guys you mentioned. WTF? Chandler will be a rebounder and he will be a Camby type but he's definately not one of the people you mentioned.

Look man get off that stuff. You probably just saw KG drop his 32 and 21 and had a fit. KG is a freak. KG is one of those guys that you tell your kids that you remember him when he was a rookie. You could tell your kids that you seen him eat up the Sac Kings in 2004. KG just migh twin a championship before this thing finishes.

With that being said....

If you want a big man you want a guy that has great hands. Great hands meaning he can catch the ball no matter how you send it.
He's gotta have good footwork and positioning skills to be effective down low. He's gotta have strong shoulders to take the banging down low and still finish a play. He's gotta have a go to move. whether it's a hook a drop step, fade away....he's got to have a go to move that is a consistant score. He has to also be able to provide good spacing between him and his defender. Running and jumping is a plus but not something that is ideal. Kevin McHale is probably one of the best power forwards ever and he was never the most athletic. It means nothing if you can run and jump. Question is can you play your position.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
diderotn
USA
5/20/2004  11:02 AM
Apparently you haven't been watching the class of 2000 draft picks. I am going to state some players name who happen to be 7' with small hands: Kwame Brown, Tyson Chandler, etc. You must not have heard the story about Kwame? if you haven't, let me know. However, I do agree with some of your comments.
Posted by EnySpree:
Posted by diderotn:

Garnett
Ewing
Olajawon
McHale

What the hell are you talking about?

If you are 7ft and can't palm a basketball you are not in the right sport. As a matter of fact you need to be shot and killed.

Chandler is not in the league of any of the guys you mentioned. WTF? Chandler will be a rebounder and he will be a Camby type but he's definately not one of the people you mentioned.

Look man get off that stuff. You probably just saw KG drop his 32 and 21 and had a fit. KG is a freak. KG is one of those guys that you tell your kids that you remember him when he was a rookie. You could tell your kids that you seen him eat up the Sac Kings in 2004. KG just migh twin a championship before this thing finishes.

With that being said....

If you want a big man you want a guy that has great hands. Great hands meaning he can catch the ball no matter how you send it.
He's gotta have good footwork and positioning skills to be effective down low. He's gotta have strong shoulders to take the banging down low and still finish a play. He's gotta have a go to move. whether it's a hook a drop step, fade away....he's got to have a go to move that is a consistant score. He has to also be able to provide good spacing between him and his defender. Running and jumping is a plus but not something that is ideal. Kevin McHale is probably one of the best power forwards ever and he was never the most athletic. It means nothing if you can run and jump. Question is can you play your position.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
5/20/2004  12:31 PM
Ewing could NEVER palm the ball. He had tiny hands like a ballerina.

But I do like Tyson.
Posted by diderotn:

Garnett
Ewing
Olajawon
McHale

¿ △ ?
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
5/20/2004  12:42 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Chandler fits that profile beautifully.

You forgot about durability. (What good is it if a player has the qualities you listed but misses half the season?) I guess that takes Ty Chandler off the list.

Nonsense. Chandler is injury prone enough to be a Knick!
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/20/2004  3:02 PM
You guys are missing 2 VERY important and vital qualities in a big man. Can he pass from the low post, especially out of the double team? If he can, then that creates many different problems for the opposing teams. Just look at Garnett, Duncan and Shaq. They are gifted low post threats, not just b/c they can score, but they are great passers as well. We haven't had that threat since LJ. Lets pray Sweetney can turn into that.

Another aspect is finishing. Plain and simple. You see guys all over the league missing these layups like no other. If you can go up strong and finish, then you are at least 1 step in the right direction, no matter how silly that sounds.

Oh yeah: How your big man reacts when he is on help defense is CRUCIAL. This is what makes guys like Marcus Camby and Ben Wallace SPECIAL. They make a HUGE impact on the game, b/c of their help defense. They are good one on one defenders (As important as that is) but if you can play defense with your teammates, especially if you are big, then you are smelling pine time.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
5/20/2004  3:11 PM
it would be nice to get a 7ft at C even if we had just a reserve role at first. But i wouldnt draft a dude who is just big like vrnaes and his body of work consists of 2 pts 2 reb in the serbian leagues. I want to see a guy dominate some level of play either at HS etc. there are the most C that I can ever recall in this draft
RIP Crushalot😞
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/20/2004  3:18 PM
Right under you nose! Grass always greener.

Freaking Sweets got him a 7 foot wing span!

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/20/2004  4:04 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Right under you nose! Grass always greener.

Freaking Sweets got him a 7 foot wing span!

Come to think of it, Sweetney looks like Rick Mahorns younger brother. They are built the same way. Runs the same way. I think Sweetney has more skills but Mahorn was smart as hell.
Nalod
USA
5/20/2004  9:59 PM
When I looks for a big O' man, I looks at him feets and him hands.

I likes a man wit a strong back. Good teeth important.

I like a big man to take walks on the beach, and a good sense of humor. One with manners good.

And make sure he got a big ole contract!
Nalod
USA
5/20/2004  9:59 PM

I like a big man to take walks on the beach, and a good sense of humor. One with manners good.

Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
5/21/2004  12:06 AM
Nobody mentioned Brendan Haywood (whom we should have drafted that year instead of Weiss). He isn't anything really special, but he was in college, he is 7 feet with good size. Thats all we really need at that position. Especially if sheed comes.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/21/2004  1:00 AM
actually Ewing could palm a ball, it was just that ewing had bad hands when it came to catching balls. His hands were not the biggest for a 7 footer but he could palm a ball.. Now Chris webber probably has the best set of hands in the league...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
diderotn
USA
5/21/2004  8:21 AM
Brandon Haywood would be a great addition to replace Deke. He showed some promises during his first year with the Wizards, but he fvcked up when Jordan brought in Stackhouse. He chose to roll with Stackhouse instead of the legend. He is a whinner, and doesn't work hard enough to be a Knick. He had Patrick out there helping him further his game, but maybe if he comes to N.Y. Kareem (the martial artist) could teach him how to use his feet and perhaps help bring the best out of him. However, if we do this deal, we have to get Hughes along with Haywood.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/21/2004  9:36 AM
Posted by Nalod:

lol! funny
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Things to look for in a big man....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy