[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Timmy Thomas
Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
5/19/2004  2:02 PM
A lot of you just show this kid no respect what so ever, but defend Houston when someone criticize him. This kid is the real deal, all he needs is a full year in N.Y. to develop the mentality that he really needs to play with. He now has a no nonsense GM, and a city that will not accept a subpar performance. Marburry will help bring the best out of him next season. My only concern with this kid is on the defensive end. We don't have a coach here in N.Y that can really demand that he does all of the above on the court. I don't know if most of you can remember the line on Lamar Odom before he joined the Heat. This cat really separate himself from the stigma that was put on him early on. Give TT a squad that can force him to play bball, the outcome will be different and he will be an all-star.
The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/19/2004  2:13 PM
See, that's the thing. Tim Thomas has the ability to be amazing. He is clutch, has sweet skills, a nice J and all that athletic ability. With that being said, he is labeled as an underachiever for a very good reason, and it's not b/c he had a bad GM, or played in a low key city. It's b/c he has the maturity of a 5 year old, and I am barely exxagerating. Have you listened to him, in any of his interviews? He blamed Ray Allen, Sam Cassell, Glenn Robinson, George Karl, the entire city of Milwaukee, members of the Knicks staff, Kenyon Martin, and countless number of other people for all the problems he has faced in his career. Can you see what's wrong with that picture? I'll give you a second... 1... He didn't even come close to mentioning himself in that list of people. He is an underachiever, and that is a problem. To fix a problem, you have to identify the problem. The problem with TT is himself. If he doesn't come to realize that, then he will never fix that problem, and will be an underachiever for the rest of his career.

Athletics wise, Allan Houston isn't in TTs league right now (Although, he was mad athletic back in the day), but, there is a reason Allan got to where he was (Pre injury) last season. He improved his aggressiveness, leadership, and yes, defense. He recognized that he had flaws, and went out and fixed them, and completely changed his mentality. Some people fail to realize that b/c of the contract, but it is the truth.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
5/19/2004  2:13 PM
I like the comparison to Odom, I think that could be accurate if TT really dedicates himself this offseason and next year provides a consistent 16+ PPG and 5+ RPG night in, night out. Odom was in the same boat, a guy with a lot of talent who needed a change of scenery. Hopefully TT can turn out the same way.
#Knickstaps
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/19/2004  2:15 PM

Fugatz!
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
5/19/2004  2:18 PM
In my mind, 5 rebounds a night was unacceptable and still is, for someone with his heigh, leaping ability, and the fact that he is flat out ripped. I see no reason why he shouldn't grab 8 a night. Especially in the weaker (But rising) Eastern Conference.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
diderotn
USA
5/19/2004  2:21 PM
One of your quote really got to me. The Knicks didn't play as a team at all. You see what happened when Peeler did what he did to Garnett, any good teams, the players would have rushed to TT's rescue when the Nets knocked him out. Besides, such actions makes your team-mates want to play harder. Remember the Knicks versus the Heat when Van-Gundy grabbed on Zo's leg like a little chienpanzee?
That is why every player around this league want to play for Van Gundy. The Knicks need to develop a cohesive mentality, they have to watch each other's back.

Posted by Allanfan20:

See, that's the thing. Tim Thomas has the ability to be amazing. He is clutch, has sweet skills, a nice J and all that athletic ability. With that being said, he is labeled as an underachiever for a very good reason, and it's not b/c he had a bad GM, or played in a low key city. It's b/c he has the maturity of a 5 year old, and I am barely exxagerating. Have you listened to him, in any of his interviews? He blamed Ray Allen, Sam Cassell, Glenn Robinson, George Karl, the entire city of Milwaukee, members of the Knicks staff, Kenyon Martin, and countless number of other people for all the problems he has faced in his career. Can you see what's wrong with that picture? I'll give you a second... 1... He didn't even come close to mentioning himself in that list of people. He is an underachiever, and that is a problem. To fix a problem, you have to identify the problem. The problem with TT is himself. If he doesn't come to realize that, then he will never fix that problem, and will be an underachiever for the rest of his career.

Athletics wise, Allan Houston isn't in TTs league right now (Although, he was mad athletic back in the day), but, there is a reason Allan got to where he was (Pre injury) last season. He improved his aggressiveness, leadership, and yes, defense. He recognized that he had flaws, and went out and fixed them, and completely changed his mentality. Some people fail to realize that b/c of the contract, but it is the truth.
Nalod
USA
5/19/2004  2:33 PM

Thats unity is why 20 trades need not be made.

Timmy likes to spread the blame around, and perhaps nobody coming to his rescue was an indictment of his charactor. He might not be the kind of guy whom others want to play for. Timmy was out of line. Timmy got no respect from anyone on that. Timmy might not deserve any respect.

Lenny does look good for his age. Isiah is sweet on Lenny. Lenny is smooth.
turtle33
Member: #537
Canada
5/19/2004  2:58 PM
Timmy likes to spread the blame around, and perhaps nobody coming to his rescue was an indictment of his charactor

that is so true. i never thought of it that way before.

you can bet if that was ewing at least dirty kurty would have head butted someone. this is a wonderfull point, if you team mates like and respect you they got your back.

now this might not be the case, but it is a side of the arguement i havent heard before.
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
5/19/2004  3:19 PM
Posted by turtle33:
Timmy likes to spread the blame around, and perhaps nobody coming to his rescue was an indictment of his charactor

that is so true. i never thought of it that way before.

you can bet if that was ewing at least dirty kurty would have head butted someone. this is a wonderfull point, if you team mates like and respect you they got your back.

now this might not be the case, but it is a side of the arguement i havent heard before.

As much as I want to beleive this, I don't think it is true with this team. When KVH was still here, he was taken down by another team (sorry, don't remember the team) and no-one went out to protect him. KVH was well respected and liked by his teammates. KT always made sure he said good things about KVH. The point is that we don't have any old school Knicks in our roster. We have become a finesse team.

Here is our current roster. Tell me who do you think would have been worthy to be in the Riley/JVG led teams.

49 Shandon Anderson - PERFECT. Boy can't shoot and tough.
42 Vin Baker - HELL NO!
1 Anfernee Hardaway - Maybe
32 Othella Harrington - NO!
20 Allan Houston - Yes
4 DerMarr Johnson - NO!
3 Stephon Marbury - Yes. He needs to be more defensive minded.
13 Nazr Mohammed - NO!
55 Dikembe Mutombo - Maybe
25 Moochie Norris - NO!
50 Mike Sweetney - Yes
40 Kurt Thomas - Yes
5 Tim Thomas - NO!
14 Cezary Trybanski - We did have Greg Butler
30 Frank Williams - Yes

OK. Now I am just rambling.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

5/19/2004  4:14 PM
Posted by NYKBocker:

OK. Now I am just rambling.

yup.

The Knicks teamates were quick to say Timmy was one of their best players. They all said if Timmy was there things would have been different.

The argument that they didn't help Timmy cuz they have no respect for him is so stupid it ain't even funny. It just shows how you guys think.

Tim Thomas has a nice game and he scores within the flow of the offense. Trading him or complaining about him being an underachiever is also stupid. He complements Marbury.

What needs to happen is his minutes need to increase. He averaged 31 as a Knick and got 15.8 pts and 4.8 rebs.

Now do you guys see the Tony Parker arguement. What do you Knick fans want? Tim Thomas was the go to guy when Houston was out. Tim Thomas had 15 and 5 in 22 minutes before he got hurt. Tim might have fouled out that game but he was that guy and was playing that way.

Shut the up about Timmy. There is nothing wrong with him. What's wrong with the Knicks is they have no answer if Houston is hurt. They forced him to come back too early. He had like a month to rehab. What the hell? Complain about that.

KT is soooo good in the pick and roll? Yeah but besides being a back-up on every other team in this league and getting embarrassed by Martin what is so good about KT? Complain that KT continues to contribute to the stagnant Knick offese.

Geez louise

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
5/19/2004  5:09 PM
Its not that the team didn't respect TT. It was that none of them really thought it was a dirty foul until they saw the replay the next day.

TT just needs to be more focused. He he puts his mind to something weather it be to score, defend, rebound then he does a great job of it that game. But he doesn't allways put his mind to do it every game. He is definatly a very good late game player though. He usually does his best in the 3rd or 4th quarter.

A guy like TT Lenny needs to tell him what he expects of him. Tell him during each game he want u to attack the glass more. He wants him to look for his shot more. Make him focus.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Nalod
USA
5/19/2004  5:50 PM
TT needs to increase his rebounding to at least KVH levels. Not his one half total of KVH.

TT is mentally soft.

BUT, like euros talked so vast in these threads of late, TT has potential still. He needs to get his head on straight. He must decide how he wants his career and others to think of him and earn that respect.

Opinions are subjective. Nobody is stupid for having one.
rojasmas
Member: #639
5/19/2004  6:58 PM
The statement made about TT's teammates not liking him is ridiculous. From all accounts I read or saw, Marbury likes him a lot, as does KT, etc. This Knick team was just soft. Check out their performance against the Nets overall. I know they had players hurt, but I am talking about intangibles like boxing out for rebounds, hustling, good hard fouls to stop layups. They didn't rebound, didn't play defense and certainly weren't going to get into any fights for a teammate. So whether it was TT or anyone else, I believe the lack of toughness was always going to be a problem with this group. TT played well while he was a Knick. Remember, his numbers would have been even better, he left at least two games real early, one with a shoulder injury and one with a stomach virus, both in the first quarter. I think there was one more, groin? So he just might be a 18 and 8 guy if all breaks right. I say package Houston and K Thomas, clear room for Rasheed and get a decent shooting guard like an Aaron Mckie who plays some defense.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
diderotn
USA
5/20/2004  8:19 AM
Just to show you how much the Knicks wasn't a team, Marburry has gotten his share of abused from the Nets. No one came to his rescue either. Here is a guy that the GM wants to build around, a guy that makes the game easier for majority of his team mates, a guy that distribute and helps make everyone stats look better, getting his *** kicked and brutalize by the opponent, and none of his team-mates came to his rescue. As far as I am concern, some of our players have to go. Isia knows it and expressed his displeasure right after that game. For some of you to come on this board and criticize the guy like that, is absurd. You all need to check your facts.

Remember the old Knicks? The Nets wouldn't dare do such a thing, it would have been war the next game. Those soft players that we had on the court, and most of all the soft coach that we currently have has to get a kick in his a&& and get reminded of how New York wants his players or team to be. We are a rugged city, we don't need finess players in our squad. Our team has to represent what we {the city} stands for.

Nalod
USA
5/20/2004  8:57 AM
We are not the old knicks.

Isiah was a finess player on a tough team. We was no push around.

The team gets no respect becasue they have not earned any. Its not the in your face kind of tough, but tough on the boards, tough on D, tough going to the lane.

Tough teams get to the foul line. Rebound hard.

Then they stand up. Talking and being tough while losing is stupid.

First thing, win, that developes winning culture, then you fight to keep your ground, and never let anyone take it from you. Thats tough. The Nets are fighting for their pride. Win or lose, they are showing a lot of heart in a great fight. Same for detroit. The games are battles. K-mart is not hooting and hollering becasue he respects Detroit. Detroit has mutual respect for the nets. The nets Beyotch slapped the Knicks around and they don't deserve to stand when they pee after that series. I hope that changes next year.

Don't let knick love cloud your perceptions or respect. you don't have to like teams, but some good basketball is being played in that series and might as well appreciate it.
diderotn
USA
5/20/2004  9:09 AM
Respect is also developed through a good minicamp, because that is where the majority of our players will develop that camaradery. Two of our youngest players have exhibited a little of the toughness that we will be exposed to next season. In a way, that should have been Marburry's job, but I won't blame him for not doing that, because his coach failed to realize that he should have been handed the Captain brassard from the get go.

I am skeptical mainly because of Lenny's demeanor, but knowing what i know about Isia, he will bring that winning attitude and cohesiveness to our beloved team.
Timmy Thomas

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy