[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

dampier (from the horses mouth)
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
5/18/2004  12:26 PM
I think GS would rather have Pietrus than Richardson. I would too if I'm the Knicks.

I'm just not a big fan of Dampier. If he signs for the MLE when Thomas and Jackson have already signed elsewhere then I'm fine with it, it's just another big contract the Knicks have with a guy in his 30s, though this situation is a little different since it's a guy in his 30s who has had 1 good year and is lazy. I just don't want a guy like that.
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
5/18/2004  12:48 PM
GS wants to get rid of Richardson for two reasons and they are: cap space, Pietrus' development, and because they want to jump at Kobe. They will do the damn trade if it is offered.

Posted by BigSm00th:

I think GS would rather have Pietrus than Richardson. I would too if I'm the Knicks.

I'm just not a big fan of Dampier. If he signs for the MLE when Thomas and Jackson have already signed elsewhere then I'm fine with it, it's just another big contract the Knicks have with a guy in his 30s, though this situation is a little different since it's a guy in his 30s who has had 1 good year and is lazy. I just don't want a guy like that.
The true Knickabocker..........
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
5/18/2004  12:56 PM
Posted by fishmike:

GS would laugh at us... please. Richardson is another scorer we really dont need. I would rather have Pietrus and GS knows it.

Save the expiring contracts for the deadline when they really hold a lot of value and is you can get a guy like Dampier with the MLE move Kurt to Utah for a late #1 or something to that effect.

Golden state is looking to move Richardson because they like Pietrus better for some reason...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
diderotn
USA
5/18/2004  12:59 PM
I agree, they almost traded Dampier and another player to the Knicks. Why not now.
RonRon
Member: #246
5/18/2004  1:30 PM
i dont understand why some people feel dampier is ineffective. I have been watching dampier for 2 years and watching him last year with gilbert areanas, i think hes a center that excels in the running game. First of all hes a really big body, he defends, is a great rebounder, can also be a decent post presense. Hes a player that doesnt really try to do much more than he can. THe past 2 seasons hes already showed an eagerness to excel and this year hes truly blown it up. The reason why we must take chances on big men is because they are rare. Jerome James and Keon Clark were both rewarded more or the full midlevel exception while they werent even proven. I believe damp has truly proved himself these past 2 seasons and would be a steal for the midlevel except. I also agree he should be used more offensively, because he has great size and strength and in NY can actually be a post presense.
diderotn
USA
5/18/2004  1:42 PM
Damp is the perfect fit for the Knicks. The hell with those of you that think that Shaq will come and play for us next year.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/18/2004  2:54 PM
GS wants to get rid of Richardson for two reasons and they are: cap space, Pietrus' development, and because they want to jump at Kobe.

Isn't that three reasons?
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
5/18/2004  7:47 PM
I have been saying this for awhile but a lot of people here think that somehow we are gonna land Sheed, Tracy, or Kobe, etc. Dampier would be a very nice addition to our team, he would lock up the C position for a few years and we would be able to trade Nazr (for the first round pick that many of you guys want). I agree with whoever said that Dampier would dominate in the East because its true. He has put up good numbers in the West and he would put up even better numbers in the East (especially with Marbury). He gives us a good low post game and a defensive presence that we need badly. If we can also get Richardson for a good price then I say do that too but getting Dampier alone would be a solid addition to this team.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
raven
Member: #316
Canada
5/19/2004  3:39 AM
Posted by tkf:
Posted by fishmike:

GS would laugh at us... please. Richardson is another scorer we really dont need. I would rather have Pietrus and GS knows it.

Save the expiring contracts for the deadline when they really hold a lot of value and is you can get a guy like Dampier with the MLE move Kurt to Utah for a late #1 or something to that effect.

Golden state is looking to move Richardson because they like Pietrus better for some reason...

for some reason ? let me tell you, I've seen this guy play numerous times in europe and he became quickly one of the most feared defender though underrated. He will do the same here, mark my words, baring injury and if he gets PT, next season he will be one of the best perimeter defender in the league. he has will, talent, great physical gifts and worked hard to imporve every season. At his age, he has already played in many championship (france and europe) tournament.

he will be a defensive hound, and I wish we could get him here. no way it will happen, though.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/19/2004  9:21 AM
Posted by fishmike:

I think we could make Dampier work at the MLE. If you offer him the full 6 years he has good security if he were ever to get hurt, but you could make the 3rd year a PO. We wouldnt have his full Bird rights, but we could then offer him a contract starting at about $9 mill starting year 3, if he were to blow up in the East. He's a good player on both sides of the ball but BRIGGS is right when he says Dampier would be a dominating big in the East.

a 36 year old Dampier is just not imaginable. If he is leaving 17 mil on the table over 2 years mightnot be all that smart. Camby wants 10mil a year for 6 years. WHat is the market for these guys anyway??? Sounds crazy.

Damp just had a career year and has a history of not being all that motivated. He rose to the occasion this year, but is it a trend, or his agent "starPhuching" his client. Remember, if the player gets more money, so does the agent.

I'd rather take a risk on a guy with upside, like Nazr. Can we resign Baker? I think he is better than Damp anyway. When Sober.

And we keep Frank Williams.
diderotn
USA
5/19/2004  9:28 AM
I don't know about Baker, I didn't like what I saw about him this year. Perhaps it was because of the little vacation that he took in the middle of the season, but he appeared to me that he lost his shooting touch. None the less, I sure hope that he rebounds from his problems and become the player that we all wish for him to be.

Maybe a good training camp will help him get in the flow of things.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
5/19/2004  9:33 AM
In the worst case scenario, let's say Damp plays very well for 4 years (until he's 33) and then starts to decline. And in the last 1 or maybe 2 years of his contract he's another Shandon Anderson. I think it's worthwhile to have those 4 good years to have 2 years of a Shandon Anderson type player. During those two years, he sits on the bench. So what? The Knicks are not trying to get under the salary cap anyway.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 05/19/2004 10:31:11]
raven
Member: #316
Canada
5/19/2004  9:51 AM
a 7 feet anderson may still be useful. I agree with you on that, we need some help now, and will have plenty of time after to deal with future issues.

[Edited by - raven on 05/19/2004 09:52:11]
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
5/19/2004  10:54 AM
I like Dampier. But I feel he is almost as unrealistic as Sheed. How coveted is Damps around the league? How much would Memphis or Seattle kill for Dampier? Would Seattle trade Ray Allen for JRich and Damps? Would Memphis trade Stromile and Bonzi? Realize how these packages are much better than anything NYK can offer? It's not realistic. Damps is the most coveted available center. We saw the deals Brad Miller and Rasho got last year, Damps is better than them (well, maybe not Miller, but Miller practically got a max).

I'm beginning to feel that Stephen Jackson may not even be realistic anymore. How many teams are going to come at him with the max MLE? Probably most teams that do that will promise him the starting job. And, obviously, we won't be doing that (how's that knee feeling, Al?).

Sigh. I have faith in Isiah, but let's be realistic about the things he can and cannot do. He can't magically make the GSW make a stupid trade just because Damps wants NYC. If Damps REALLY wants NYC, he'll take the MLE, right? Exactly. We all know he ain't taking the damn stinky ole MLE.
¿ △ ?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/19/2004  2:27 PM
Isiah got this old jar of "kibosh" which can get him president of Raptors, buy the CBL, be Indy coach, and Gm of knicks all with no prior experience at the postition.

He has yet to fully use the jar for any one sided trades. Yet.

Maybe he can use it as hair ointment on that spot on Rashweeds head.

dampier (from the horses mouth)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy